Melbourne Football

Harry Novillo (gone)

n i k o

Disappointing but understandable. He will be hard to replace because people his level of ability and age are playing in better leagues, he only came to us because of the same off-field issues that means he's gone.

Also disappointing that the club hasn't announced the news and people find out from others sources. 

• Like 3

Harry Novillo will play in Turkey's second division next season after leaving A-League side Melbourne City

Harry Novillo has left A-League side Melbourne City after signing a two-year deal with Turkish outfit Manisaspor.

Novillo signed with City as an injury replacement for Damien Duff in March 2015 and quickly established himself as a fan favourite at AAMI Park. 

The 24-year-old scored 10 goals in 2015-16 as City made the semi-finals, bowing out to eventual champions Adelaide United. 

However, his season was hit by off-field drama, with the Lyon-born winger stood down from training for two weeks in February following an investigation into an alleged altercation.

While no charges were officially laid against Novillo, the Frenchman departed the A-League outfit with a year to run on his contract.

"I believe at Manisaspor I can direct my career in a different direction," Novillo said after being unveiled by Manisaspor on Tuesday.

"The president wants to see me here too, and all of the positive references I have received about Manisaspor are among the reasons I chose this place.

"I promise to fight to ensure my maximum contribution to Manisaspor."

Manisaspor will play in Turkey's second division next season after gaining promotion from the third tier. 

3 hours ago, Shahanga said:

Normally I would agree. I'm disappointed too, but this is what the 4th club Harry has parted from due to his off field issues?

Suggests he is not an easy fix.

Frankly this looks like the last chance saloon for him. Surely He can't keep getting kicked out of lower league clubs and stay a professional for much longer?

yeah, he will be playing in a real pub league in a few years max.

All the best Harry, but happy to see you go.

Not playing in the finals was unforgivable, your poor attitude towards the team and lack of effort when player resolve was needed the most was very destructive. 

Good luck.

So I assume Kamau or Fitzy will play on the left side or maybe Austin if he is available. All hard workers with no attitude problems. Happy days.

2 minutes ago, playmaker said:

So I assume Kamau or Fitzy will play on the left side or maybe Austin if he is available.

Austin??

Between my random ramblings about nothing, have i missed a signing? Or are you off the mark again?

Edited by Deviant
Political correctness.
  • Like 1

I am a big fan of Novillo on field and think some of the comments on here about poor attitude towards the team are absolute crap. 

Disappointed though despite the glimpses of sheer skill, we didn't get to see his full potential. 

Good luck HN, hope one day you will be able to sit down and face your issues head on instead of running away from them.

13 minutes ago, playmaker said:

So I assume Kamau or Fitzy will play on the left side or maybe Austin if he is available. All hard workers with no attitude problems. Happy days.

Hard workers? It's an attacking position where the primary role is to score goals or ultimately assist others in scoring. 

Pretty sure if you ask Tuna, he'd rather a Novillo who he can have an understanding with and trust to hit him and create chances for him instead of a bloke that can run up and down a wing all day,  but miss passes to his feet or cross it into the stands. 

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, rass said:

I am a big fan of Novillo on field and think some of the comments on here about poor attitude towards the team are absolute crap. 

Then you weren't very observant. He was destructive to the point that Mooy and Bruno were ripping through him on the field.

2 minutes ago, rass said:

Hard workers? It's an attacking position where the primary role is to score goals or ultimately assist others in scoring. 

Pretty sure if you ask Tuna, he'd rather a Novillo who he can have an understanding with and trust to hit him and create chances for him instead of a bloke that can run up and down a wing all day,  but miss passes to his feet or cross it into the stands. 

Yeah while novillo was scratching his nuts, fitzy was helping out in defence.

2 minutes ago, playmaker said:

Then you weren't very observant. He was destructive to the point that Mooy and Bruno were ripping through him on the field.

Rubbish.

Bruno spent half his time on the pitch ripping through others because of the frustration in the service they gave him... and Novillo celebrated every team goal far more heartily than Mooy ever did.

Agree, missing finals was a deal breaker, but the blanket statements on top are just incorrect.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, playmaker said:

Yeah while novillo was scratching his nuts, fitzy was helping out in defence.

Fitzy can help out in defense all he wants - I'd still take Novillo over him every day of the week.

• Like 1

Disappointed in one way that he's gone, but pleased in another. Pleased for the club because IMO became petulant and lazy towards the end of the season and let the club down with that stupid melee. But I'm disappointed for Harry the person - we offered him a life-line and a resurrection of a career, and he blew it. I wish him well and hope he can overcome his personal demons. Bon voyage Harry.

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, rass said:

Rubbish.

Bruno spent half his time on the pitch ripping through others because of the frustration in the service they gave him... and Novillo celebrated every team goal far more heartily than Mooy ever did.

Agree, missing finals was a deal breaker, but the blanket statements on top are just incorrect.

You are wrong, I sit 10 metres from the side line and hear it all. Not saying it happened all the time but the times he was a non participant and lacked effort where he often lashed out at other players that effected the whole team. By the latter part of the season Mooy and Bruno had enough.

Anyway, he is gone now, we need good players that play for each other not more skillful players that do it when they are in the mood and sook like primadonnas when their not.

Hopefully we are learning our lesson and staying away from recruiting these sorts of players.

Edited by playmaker
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, JC22 said:

I always got the impression Bruno loved playing with Harry. Him and Mooy were the only ones on his level.

From a skill point of view I agree, but that's about it. Bruno and Mooy are team players, have hearts bigger than Phar Lap and the the work ethic of a draft horse. They naturally lift the whole team even when things aren't going right.

If only we could clone them.

The best thing Harry brought to the side IMO was the X-Factor of being able to change the game in a brief moment... of course this did not happen that often but when we really needed a goal and were struggling in the front third Harry's ability to cut in and take a shot was big asset to the team.

Edited by cadete
  • Like 2

9 minutes ago, cadete said:

The best thing Harry brought to the side IMO was the X-Factor of being able to change the game in a brief moment... of course this did not happen that often but when we really needed a goal and were struggling in the front third Harry's ability to cut in and take a shot was big asset to the team.

X factor exactly and why in terms of forwards,  would have him over a 'hard worker' type any day - especially when the other forwards/wingers don't have it.

11 minutes ago, InMyHeart said:

get rid of any player that plays with passion and hunger to succeed....

fill our team with mediocre robots

If this describes Harry then it's the best joke I have heard in a long time.

If he had these attributes he would have been a starter in Europe long ago. Problem is no-one wanted him.

If players like Bruno and Mooy are mediocre robots then please recruit as many robots as you want.

5 minutes ago, playmaker said:

If this describes Harry then it's the best joke I have heard in a long time.

If he had these attributes he would have been a starter in Europe long ago. Problem is no-one wanted him.

If players like Bruno and Mooy are mediocre robots then please recruit as many robots as you want.

Shitty reading comprehension lol

2 hours ago, playmaker said:

From a skill point of view I agree, but that's about it. Bruno and Mooy are team players, have hearts bigger than Phar Lap and the the work ethic of a draft horse. They naturally lift the whole team even when things aren't going right.

You need to add a few more cliches in order to make a quality post.

Edited by Jovan
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, playmaker said:

25 minutes ago, Jovan said:

You need to add a few more cliches in order to make a quality post.

Not up there with my Gallops examples... not complex enough.

And FWIW there were times Mooy was not that team orientated such as when things were not going his way on the day and the opposition were man marking him really well an example being when we usually played WSW.

And what was annoying was the other midfielders instead of lifting their workloads never really seemed to try help him out and fill the void.

Edited by cadete

He had immense talent and class that made him one of the best players in the league, yes his character may not be 10/10 but his football ability helped us to be a better team... If we want to get rid of that and just be happy with mediocrity well then continue to get 'Safe' Players and we will continue to finish no higher than 4th. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

It's said here that we obtained a transfer fee of "upwards of $500,000."
http://www.goal.com/en-au/news/4019/transfer-zone/2016/06/22/24898822/novillo-leaves-melbourne-city-for-turkey

Pretty decent for a guy it seems we didn't really have much interest in keeping. Most A-League clubs struggle to get that kind of money for players they don't want to let go.

• Like 2

Fuck me.

I know Turkey is supposedly a secular country, but Novillo's lifestyle is more haram than tomato sauce on a kebab. He will probably provoke an ISIS attack on Manisaspor's stadium, and Erdogan hardly needs an excuse to invade Syria. There will inevitably be an 'accidental' downing of a Russian jet, which Putin won't let slide a second time so nekminut Russia's flattening Turkey like it's 1877. Of course that that will trigger Turkey's NATO allies to come to the party, and next thing you know Archduke Novillo has caused WW3.

Meanwhile Novillo is loving the whole thing since he is such a narcissist. 

• Like 5

A few points:

- After so many seasons with this club watching nice guys that couldn't perform on the pitch, I was happy to watch Novillo perform, and even star, on the pitch

- Even though Novillo missed about a third of the season--half through injury and half through suspensions--he still scored 10 goals and provided 4 assists. And that's what attacking players should be judged on: their output. Further, if last season was a "bad" and "disrupted" season from Novillo, providing 14 goals is a damn good return (imagine if he had started 27 over the season instead of 20)

- I don't really get why people talk about how A-League players did or would fare in Europe. Does it matter? If they play for us, they play in the A-League in Australia (take Fornaroli, for whatever reasons he didn't make it in Europe, but he's an absolute star in the A-League. So who cares how he would go in Europe, as long as he can star for us?)

- It will be difficult to find another salary cap player with a lot of x-factor. And not only are players with x-factor important for the team, they also are important drawcards for crowds too. I can't think of many other players that this club has had that would wow neutrals and newcomers like Novillo

- The club has a huge amount of recruiting to do. We've lost Wilkinson, Kisnorbo, Zullo, Novillo and are set to lose Mooy. That's roughly half of our ideal starting team from last season. With pre-season starting in 4 or so days (Monday), it's time for the club to put Novillo's transfer fee, as well as the club's other resources to use, to secure quality starting players for next season

Disappointed to lose Novillo. I'm doubtful our competitors (such as WSW and victory) would have willingly moved on a player like Novillo, and I do wonder if the club has a "holier-than-thou" approach that requires all its players to foremost be good blokes (which was one of Heart's main problems: a team full of good guys that couldn't produce competitive winning football). Anyway, as long as CFG unearths new very talented players all is forgiven. I'm just getting weary that the club has made a situation where it's got too much recruiting to do for next season, which it's completing too late. Time to start balancing out the player exits with player arrivals.

Edited by Murfy1
  • Like 1