Melbourne Football

Harry Novillo (gone)

n i k o

1 hour ago, Red or Dead said:

I read that his partner is a teenager? So if she's 18 or 19 she must be a local girl he met here then, as opposed to her coming with him from France!?!

"The police responded to a request from a 23-year-old woman"

A previous article or interview did say he brought his partner over I believe.

Though the age of consent in some of those Western European countries is as low as 13 so it wouldn't have been overly unusual if she was 18-19.

Edited by Tesla

17 minutes ago, possiblygeorge said:

From a Footballing perspective there's nothing OK about a player being up 2-3 in the morning on weekdays. 

Hangon. You can't compare a pro/elite athlete to a 9 to 5 worker in regards to sleep patterns.  They probably train most mornings 10am for a few hours. Maybe an afternoon session.

Definitely have naps here and there so being late for me isn't a sign of disfunction.

Clubs reaction from where I see it is poor. But like everyone else we are just speculating with little facts.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Jovan said:

Hangon. You can't compare a pro/elite athlete to a 9 to 5 worker in regards to sleep patterns.  They probably train most mornings 10am for a few hours. Maybe an afternoon session.

Definitely have naps here and there so being late for me isn't a sign of disfunction.

Clubs reaction from where I see it is poor. But like everyone else we are just speculating with little facts.

For some reason I'm under the impression (must have read it somewhere) that they 'train' for a couple hours in the morning and then a couple of hours in the afternoon.

Some of that 'training' may be recovery stuff or tactical discussions rather than actual training requiring physical activity.

But it does seem like a good time for a nap if you have a nice long break in the middle of the day after the first training session.

1 minute ago, Tesla said:

For some reason I'm under the impression (must have read it somewhere) that they 'train' for a couple hours in the morning and then a couple of hours in the afternoon.

Some of that 'training' may be recovery stuff or tactical discussions rather than actual training requiring physical activity.

But it does seem like a good time for a nap if you have a nice long break in the middle of the day after the first training session.

I would. (Take a nap that is).

Especially during the tactical discussions. 

6 minutes ago, Jovan said:

Agreed. WTF? People expect guys in their early/mid-20s from overseas to be tucked up in bed by 9:30 because of that 11am training run they have the following day?

1 hour ago, jw1739 said:

Everyone makes mistakes in life. Still hope that the club can give Harry and his lady the support they need to get though this, and then get over whatever troubles Harry has.

If this is a case of domestic violence, it's never a mistake. A mistake is losing your keys or having a small prang in your car, not hitting your partner. I know he hasn't been charged with anything yet and if there is nothing to it (which I hope so for her sake), I hope we see him play again. But fuck him off and send him on his way if he is guilty

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, possiblygeorge said:

You don't seriously expect them to be up in the early hours of the morning do you? 

I don't expect it, but I don't really give a stuff if they are either. In and of itself, being up that early/late (depending on how you look at it) means bugger all. Maybe he likes to play Xbox. Maybe he's a fan of getting to the 24 hour gym when there's no-one else around. Maybe it's a convenient time to contact someone back home. If all he's doing is keeping hours that people who work 9-5 jobs would consider to be unusual, then that's nothing to be even the slightest bit concerned about.

What the fuck does his sleep pattern have to do with his job if it doesn't have a negative affect?

Some people sleep less, some people like to sleep in two phases, etc.

FWIW, there is some very solid evidence that sleeping in two phases is optimal and historically how human's have slept, the standard 'sleep 8 hours straight' is just a product of a world where most people have to work 9-5. As a professional football he works different hours and so isn't subject to the same constraints as most people.

• Like 2

All I'll say he is a player for our club where we are season ticket holders. My belief is that we also have a responsibility to not make judgements over the forum until the matter has been resolved. Until then I make no assumptions as to what has occurred or that the club isn't taking the right steps in resolving the matter. That's the last you'll hear from me until we get to this point. 

• Like 3

Elite players regularly sleep in the afternoons on training days and possibly on the day of a game.

After a game it would not be unusual for them to be up into the early hours, especially if they are still very high on adrenalin following a game. I challenge anyone to go out and play a game at 7:30, go to a post-match dinner or perhaps a post match fan function and then try to sleep.

I would suggest that his Tweets in the early hours would be pretty normal especially if he has family friends back home 8-10 hours behind on the clock.

The blokes allegedly abusing his Mrs and you Kent's are worried about his sleeping pattern. Fuck me. 

I work hospo including at a certain pub you may all be familiar with that closes at 6am regularly. Can tell you for certain that what time you sleep makes no difference just as long as you get your 6-8 hours in.

If he's found to be beating his wife he needs to go immediately. The only support the club should then offer is to his Mrs, regardless of his background and where he grew up. Send him to victory where he can console himself with Archie and discuss techniques on how to be a bigger cunt. 

If he isn't found guilty then the club needs to watch the space and get the blokes head right, no smoke without fire.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Tesla said:

I find this disappointing from the club TBH, more concerned about PR than standing by the player or what's best for the team on the pitch.

Innocent until proven guilty is a fundamental part of our legal system and he shouldn't be punished like this for something that has happened in his personal life when charges haven't even been made let alone an admission or finding of guilt.

Next time someone wants to accuse a player of not having loyalty to the club, I'd urge you to consider this example of how the club has no loyalty to our players.

Politicians stand aside, police officers stand aside, company secs stand aside, doctors & nurses stand aside until an investigation is completed. It is not that unusual and they still get paid. The innocent until proven guilty ethos applies only when legal charges arise. Sometimes the investigation reveals nothing that they can be charged with but none the less are moved on because of workplace harmony but that is a different issue.

Just now, NewConvert said:

Politicians stand aside, police officers stand aside, company secs stand aside, doctors & nurses stand aside until an investigation is completed. It is not that unusual and they still get paid. The innocent until proven guilty ethos applies only when legal charges arise. Sometimes the investigation reveals nothing that they can be charged with but none the less are moved on because of workplace harmony but that is a different issue.

Those are all professions where being of a certain moral character is a requirement, and are recognised as such by the law as well, all being on the list of professions that can witness documents and things like that. So it makes sense that they are stood aside in circumstances where their compliance with the requirements of their job are brought into question.

A football player has no such requirements.

1 hour ago, Tesla said:

Those are all professions where being of a certain moral character is a requirement, and are recognised as such by the law as well, all being on the list of professions that can witness documents and things like that. So it makes sense that they are stood aside in circumstances where their compliance with the requirements of their job are brought into question.

A football player has no such requirements.

I am not sure that it is a legal requirement that they stand aside. If a doctor/nurse is suspected of raiding the medicine cupboard for their own consumption they are still stood aside even though no one is harmed (other than the taxpayer).

In any case I would dare say that in 21st century society, the moral fibre of sports personnel is a requirement of their job and any investigation of them would require them to stand aside.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Torn Asunder said:

Best not to speculate until something official is released by the club.  I have full confidence that the club will handle this matter appropriately.

I think they've started the right way.  Stood him down whilst they figure out what the story is etc. Doesn't mean he's being treated as guilty.

Honestly I can't see how they can do less and keep a cross section of supporters.

7 hours ago, possiblygeorge said:

Wouldn't surprise me if this guy gets on illicit drugs, really hope it doesn't but something doesn't seem right about a player being up 3 in the morning on social media and spamming the f**k out of Twitter 

If he is on illicit drugs (naughty boy), he wouldn't be spamming twitter at 3 in the morning, he would be a quarter of his way through the inevitable 12 hr wank session that goes with the drug usage. 

You can do it, you can do it, hang on a second, I need to do the dishes.

• Like 5

22 minutes ago, Shahanga said:

I think they've started the right way.  Stood him down whilst they figure out what the story is etc. Doesn't mean he's being treated as guilty.

Honestly I can't see how they can do less and keep a cross section of supporters.

I'm a little surprised there hasn't been a short statement released to members He's been fairly popular with supporters, and a short statement might reduce speculation.

22 minutes ago, japiedog said:

saw on ABC News late last night that Club had stood him down, for now

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2016-02-17/melbourne-city-stands-down-novillo-as-it-investigates-incident/7178586

I personally think the club is doing a great job of handling this. They're going about it the right way imo

• Like 2

City drop Novillo as probe continues

Ben McKay

February 18, 2016

Melbourne City have formally omitted Harry Novillo from their A-League plans this weekend, as a probe into the behaviour of their forward continues.

Novillo's career was rocked when a private argument with his partner escalated to require police attention and his detention on Tuesday morning.

City have refused to elaborate on the circumstances behind the matter, which saw their 24-year-old star handcuffed and detained by Victoria Police before being released without charge.

Fairfax Media reported the French recruit's girlfriend called police in a distressed state at 3.30am on Tuesday from their Southbank apartment.

Novillo has not trained this week at the club and won't be considered for the team until the conclusion of City's investigation.

The issue is such a sore point that City have not scheduled player media appearances this week, planning to address it only on Saturday, when coach John

van `t Schip gives his mandatory pre-match conference.

Novillo was one of two omissions from their squad to play the Mariners.

Anthony Caceres will be ineligible to face his former side after picking up the second red card of his short spell in Melbourne in last week's derby.

Van `t Schip regains combative utility Jacob Melling from suspension, with Jason Trifiro, Steve Kuzmanovski and Ali Eyigun named as part of an expanded 18-man side.

Fourth-placed City require three points against the league's bottom side to reignite their title shout.

https://au.sports.yahoo.com/football/a/30858547/a-league-melbourne-city-drop-harry-novillo-as-probe-continues/?cmp=twitter

IMO it might be prudent for City to give members some sort of update. Speculation over Harry's future is growing the longer this goes on.

http://www.smh.com.au/sport/soccer/harry-novillo-frozen-out-as-jacob-melling-steve-kuzmanovski-return-for-melbourne-city-20160218-gmxmu4.html

"Teenager Steve Kuzmanovski and utility Jacob Melling will come back into Melbourne City's squad for the match against Central Coast Mariners on Sunday, as the club consigns disgraced import Harry Novillo to the outer.

The Frenchman has been frozen out all week following the disclosure that he was led away from his city-centre apartment in handcuffs after a domestic incident involving his partner in the early hours of Tuesday morning.

Novillo has not trained with the club, nor has he been named in the match-day squad.

City continue to conduct their own internal inquiry into the incident and will not say anything until satisfied they have all the facts.

Police have so far not charged the forward with any offence.

The club is, not surprisingly, deeply concerned about the negative publicity surrounding Novillo.

On Wednesday City were due to make new signing Osama Malik available for a media conference, but cancelled the event, concerned that too many questions might have been directed at him about his teammate.

Novillo has been a significant contributor on the pitch this season, weighing in with important goals and assisting Bruno Fornaroli in the race for the golden boot.

But there have to be serious questions over the damage he has done to the club's image.

Certainly parent company Manchester City and its Australian affiliate would be conscious of the impact reports of domestic violence would have on the public, given that governments both state and federal have made it a key policy issue in recent years and Rosie Batty – the Victorian mother whose son was murdered by his estranged father – was made Australian of the year in 2015 for being a high-profile campaigner on the subject. 

City will not, however, be rushed into a decision on Novillo's future. The club wants to see what, if any, action police will take.

And City are determined to act within the regulatory framework of Football Federation Australia and employment laws before coming to any conclusions."

Some completely uncalled-for associations being made there between Novillo's incident and the Batty case, but that's what happens when the media is given the opportunity for speculation.

I can confirm today at training :

1. Novillo was not training today.  

2. Kuzi was training alone with someone I couldn't recognise, maybe a youth player. BTW, my 9 yo will have a better attempt using his head at goal!!

3.  Chapman looked really sharp and fit and participated in small side with the bulk of the team. Assume he's ready.

4. Shooting exercise -

A.Melling and Guarricio re so f shit at shooting.

B..Fitzi stood out as a sharp shooter - every shot was within the posts.

C. Bruno is a character - he's got charisma and class.

D. Retre can curl them

E. Mooy gives it his 100 %  commitment.

F. JvS is soft. He used words like "common",  "still no goal"" blah blah!   I expect him to put a flair up his players back side, seriously this is the way it should be!!

11. Towards the end they all seem to be having a happy time, bit of banter about inaccurate shoots, lots of man bonding, etc. Think the group rates Mooy and El Tuna highly. They actually call him "Tuna"

Edited by Pandev
Tidy up
  • Like 6

Re Harry, club is playing the responsible employee card. Taking a mature approach. Regardless whether the issue is serious or not, the bloke has a few loose screws, why the f  would he be posting Twitter messages in the early hrs of the morning. If he's serious about his career he'd be holding back on that shit. Explains why he hasn't fulfilled his potential

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Pandev said:

Re Harry, club is playing the responsible employee card. Taking a mature approach. Regardless whether the issue is serious or not, the bloke has a few loose screws, why the f  would he be posting Twitter messages in the early hrs of the morning. If he's serious about his career he'd be holding back on that shit. Explains why he hasn't fulfilled his potential

We all know he has a few loose screws, that's why he's in the A League. I don't care what others say no way a serious professional (like say Mark Schwarzer) would be up at 2am, it has to take away from his performance  ( which again explains why he is the A League).

Both those issues are largely unrelated to this one though. I am hoping the club can complete its investigation and make an announcement soon.

2 minutes ago, possiblygeorge said:

But when i mention he shouldnt be posting at the wee hours of the morning i get grilled haha

Perhaps this is why he can't take his Football to the next level that he's hoping to. Don't get me wrong he's been superb for us, but there are things, i would imagine, that he needs to sort out. 

I've got it from a very good source that he doesn't want to go any higher. He loves it here and never wants to leave.

Fuck I hope everything is OK here and we see him play for us again.

Just now, JC22 said:

I've got it from a very good source that he doesn't want to go any higher. He loves it here and never wants to leave.

Fuck I hope everything is OK here and we see him play for us again.

Almost sounds like a throw in the towel sort of logic, even giving up on himself and doesn't want to push himself to take the next step. And he's, what, 24?