Melbourne Football

Harry Novillo (gone)

n i k o

I'm not sure that we've ever got our five visa players "right" because I'm not sure that we've ever thought through the criteria that should apply to them.

The first criterion that I would apply is that irrespective of the position they play their overall performances and availability should demand that they are automatic selections for the starting line-up. (Caveat on serious injuries of course, which no-one can control - e.g. Engelaar.) Maybe there are better ways of expressing that but I don't see the point in wasting a visa place on someone who can't regularly get on the park or hasn't got the necessary skill set for the football we want to play or the necessary desire to perform and a winning mentality.

Before deciding what he might be worth I'd ask whether Harry N. meets the above criterion?

Someone else said it, but I'll repeat it - sign players we need, not just because they become available. Harry's available, but is he what we need? Does he complement the rest of the team we have in mind? Etc. etc.

I'm not sure that we've ever got our five visa players "right" because I'm not sure that we've ever thought through the criteria that should apply to them.

The first criterion that I would apply is that irrespective of the position they play their overall performances and availability should demand that they are automatic selections for the starting line-up. (Caveat on serious injuries of course, which no-one can control - e.g. Engelaar.) Maybe there are better ways of expressing that but I don't see the point in wasting a visa place on someone who can't regularly get on the park or hasn't got the necessary skill set for the football we want to play or the necessary desire to perform and a winning mentality.

Before deciding what he might be worth I'd ask whether Harry N. meets the above criterion?

Someone else said it, but I'll repeat it - sign players we need, not just because they become available. Harry's available, but is he what we need? Does he complement the rest of the team we have in mind? Etc. etc.

I'd say you must have a visa striker,cm and cb, other 2 depending filling weaker areas

I think many have been too harsh on him.

He has come in mid season, been an attacking threat and given defences a very hard time. It's something we struggled with for years.

With a full pre-season and hopefully a manager that can mould him into the squad more effectively, he may well be one of the better signings that can be achieved, especially given his age and development path.

At this stage he is trying to do too much I agree, but a couple of passes on the weekend showed the potential he can also offer when he better integrates with the team.

If you watch over the games he's played for us he seems to only pass it to the non-spuds in the team. For example that through ball to Mooy (which he fucked in the end) .

It just seems like he doesn't want to pass to someone in an attacking position that will fuck up. Unfortunately this is most of the team.

• Like 1

He has come in mid season, been an attacking threat and given defences a very hard time. It's something we struggled with for years.

With a full pre-season and hopefully a manager that can mould him into the squad more effectively, he may well be one of the better signings that can be achieved, especially given his age and development path.

At this stage he is trying to do too much I agree, but a couple of passes on the weekend showed the potential he can also offer when he better integrates with the team.

I am one of those who likes him but questions his ability. I have said many times before, for someone who has so much promise his career had effectively stalled in France and there must be a reason why. He can be flat footed, he is an attacking threat but at times those are just pot shots, and he takes on too many players without passing - when it comes off its great but me thinks that the ratio of payoff to turnover isn't that good. So where would Novillo fit in a 4-3-3 formation? or in a 4-2-2? Can he integrate into the team - TBH if he makes the decision not to pass to a player he does not respect then I am not sure whether he is a team player. Can a better coach help him out? Do we have such a coach? Let's face it, he comes from Lyon where the football infrastructure is meant to be better and they couldn't find a coach for him? I do agree that a pre-season would assist him greatly.

I would not be upset if he was offered a contract but I would need to know that there weren't any better alternatives for the price.

• Like 2

It would be ridiculous if he wernt resigned. He is something we havent had for a long time. Wont piss fart around at the top of the box and will take players on. Of all our Visa spots (including marquee) I think he is the only one who is safe.

Edited by Dylan
  • Like 1

I am one of those who likes him but questions his ability. I have said many times before, for someone who has so much promise his career had effectively stalled in France and there must be a reason why. He can be flat footed, he is an attacking threat but at times those are just pot shots, and he takes on too many players without passing - when it comes off its great but me thinks that the ratio of payoff to turnover isn't that good. So where would Novillo fit in a 4-3-3 formation? or in a 4-2-2? Can he integrate into the team - TBH if he makes the decision not to pass to a player he does not respect then I am not sure whether he is a team player. Can a better coach help him out? Do we have such a coach? Let's face it, he comes from Lyon where the football infrastructure is meant to be better and they couldn't find a coach for him? I do agree that a pre-season would assist him greatly.

I would not be upset if he was offered a contract but I would need to know that there weren't any better alternatives for the price.

Exactly this. And Willo must be exited no matter what.

Edited by HEARTinator

Similar arguments were used to justify the re-signing of Willo at the end of last season. Such as "how can we not re-sign our leading goalscorer?"

And van 't Schip - something like "David can develop further" etc. etc.

And we've all seen how that decision has panned out...

I'm not against signing Harry N. for a season. Contracts can usually be extended, but they can only be shortened with great difficulty.

I get that he can be a bit of a hog- but this guy is more than worthy of a visa spot next year in my opinion. He is quick, skillful and always looking to attack. If I was him and I played a great ball in behind (like last week for Willo) and saw the end result, I'd start hogging it too. Hopefully with an improved squad next year he will play more with the team, but still have the confidence to take players on.

I understand he is no Kalfallah but he looks the only one who is dangerous for us..... or maybe because the rest are shit making him stand out?

Think he could be and at a better age. Is different for Khalfallah playing off Berisha, Milligan, Valeri, Thompson ect than it is with some of the spuds around Novillo.

I understand he is no Kalfallah but he looks the only one who is dangerous for us..... or maybe because the rest are shit making him stand out?

I think it is the latter. Harry's decision making is often poor. Blast it from anywhere. Then again options are often short up front so perhaps he could shine but it is hard to tell.

In my post that you replied to Tony, I was referring to the non-marquee players like Finkler, Dmitrijevic, and Adelaide's foreign legion. Visa playing spots can be used a lot better.

I suspect this bloke is on decent dosh, give n he's cover for Duff. Dont think he's performing like a high wages player though.

Not sure on that. He has said that he was having difficulties with his club and was not getting much game time. His development had stalled so maybe he is no longer commanding the sort of money he believes he should be getting.

I suspect this bloke is on decent dosh, give n he's cover for Duff. Dont think he's performing like a high wages player though.

The video that I watched of his "highlights" showed him playing just as he does for us. And the standard of France Ligue 2 didn't look much chop either.

I get the feeling that Harry has always been an impact type player, probably always coming off the bench and trying to make things happen with every touch.

I reckon a pre season focusing on the basics, and the team objectives would help him develop into an above average A-league player who is valuable for the full 90 minutes.

Not saying he should lose his flair, but he needs to re-learn how to be a complete footballer that can make it in a professional league.

The potential is there ... It's just gotta be tapped into

Edited by Torn Asunder

Honestly, signing this guy up is a no brainer, he may need some more tactical awareness and training but when are we going to sign a Lyon academy product at 23 again??? This is the club that developed Benzema! Novillo has got all the skills to perform any attacking mid and/or winger role that the coach asks him to do. If players like Novillo aren't performing, look at the coaching staff...

• Like 2

Not sure on that. He has said that he was having difficulties with his club and was not getting much game time. His development had stalled so maybe he is no longer commanding the sort of money he believes he should be getting.

He is an EU player, there are plenty of opportunities and money available to him in Europe. So I'd say he is on a large salary here.

When he cuts out the poor decisions, he's top class. What a performance!

This is his only problem and one I am sure he can improve.

Sometimes he took to long in passing the ball that would have helped us create more chances. I do think it's easier to teach players to take better options than it is to improve skills.

• Like 1