Melbourne Football

City v Sydney FC @ AAMI, Tuesday 23rd February, 7.05 pm

Tommykins

6 hours ago, bt50 said:

.... and whilst i still didnt think they particularly dominated after that,...

This especially. I get it's the popular view to think we shit ourselves after a good lead, but I thought it we still managed the game well. Their first goal was a fortunate deflection but then they really did nothing (did they have a shot?) for the next 20 minutes. Thought we looked far more dangerous when we went forward in that period. Agree we got a little tired in the end and Ninko and those other two young subs up front came into it a bit more, but we held them ok. Second goal was unnecessary and set up an uncomfortable last few minutes, but again it wasnt as if they threw everything at us in that period.

I thought the game as a whole was outstanding from us and some of the best soccer we've played for a while. Love him or hate him, Nabbout adds a balance to our team we dont have. So refreshing to see a bloke with speed just burst forward. Really worried Sydney. Also Florin was outstanding and showed us what we have yearned for in his time here. He's capable, can he maintain it though?

Speaking of Sydney, how good was it to see us show them up for their tactics. Not sure if it was by design, but credit has to go to PK for the way we handled their high narrow defence. Geez Grant is such a football cheat. How we let him score in the GF was criminal. We completely exploited his narrow, get forward at all costs attitude. Time and time again we went over the top of him and he didnt know what to do. I thought he was really shown up. Same for the rest of their entitled arrogant players. Take Ninko out and Caceres just scratches around like a headless chook. And Bumjocks is just lazy. Their midfield was like a sieve at times yesterday.

Let's just hope we can replicate that though i feel other teams will sit deeper than Sydney do and it wont be as easy to get behind them.

• Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, belaguttman said:

Niether can I. It looked to be very sparsely attended. Unfortunately.

Yep, the atmosphere was sadly devoid - even when we were up 3-0, it sounded as though we were losing 0-3. 

But ahhh well, that's the current climate for you, and the club has the capability to fix it if they can be bothered. For now, let us enjoy the lack of queues for entry, food, drink and toilets 😀👍

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Nate said:

But ahhh well, that's the current climate for you, and the club has the capability to fix it if they can be bothered. 

fwiw my understanding is that the restrictions and crowd management is out of the club's hands and it is the administration of AAMI Park to close down the active area indefinitely with the excuse of covid, and to people's annoyance or perhaps computer illiteracy to follow ticketek procedures to access multiple membership tickets with passwords emailed to you are just some factors that may have turned off people from attending 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Nate said:

Yep, the atmosphere was sadly devoid - even when we were up 3-0, it sounded as though we were losing 0-3. 

But ahhh well, that's the current climate for you, and the club has the capability to fix it if they can be bothered. For now, let us enjoy the lack of queues for entry, food, drink and toilets 😀👍

The club could indeed fix up some of the membership issues if it wanted to, but shows no desire to do so. I think what they've done, irrespective of COV-19, with membership packs and membership cards, absolutely stinks and wrote to them on that subject but was, of course, ignored. Yes these things are little things, but sometimes it's the little things that count. Especially the lanyard with the membership card - we wore it with some pride going to the matches on PT and walking to the ground from Richmond station. That was the feeling of "belonging"  that drew me to football all those years ago. This club has fucked over its members so many times that losing that small thing was pretty much the last straw for me. I don't want some QR code on my smartphone, not least because I don't want to carry a phone to a football match. This season's cards were particularly important for me because I needed them for a purpose other than football - but now I cannot even do that.

But it's not only the club. FA and now APL, together with the MOPT and the broadcasters, can take plenty of the blame. The presentation of matches has been as boring as shit for several seasons now, atmosphere has been killed off, and the scheduling of matches very questionable even before COV-19 came along. IMO the introduction of VAR is also a disaster for the spectacle of the game.

• Thanks 1

Just now, rass said:

I must admit though, at one point where Redmayne was taking forever fr his goal kick, the build up roar from the crowd at the southern end was really loud. I can't recall it being so loud for a while tbh.

He made more saves in that game against us than he did in his career with us. Even still, he managed to flap the ball straight at the opposition striker

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Young Polak said:

fwiw my understanding is that the restrictions and crowd management is out of the club's hands and it is the administration of AAMI Park to close down the active area indefinitely with the excuse of covid, and to people's annoyance or perhaps computer illiteracy to follow ticketek procedures to access multiple membership tickets with passwords emailed to you are just some factors that may have turned off people from attending 

It's not illiteracy in my case. It's just a pain in the arse because I don't want to be sitting at a computer all day, and sometimes I want to make up my mind to go at the last minute. I'm a member - part of the reason being convenience - and I don't want to fuck about with Ticketek.

• Like 1

What does my head in is the fact we have bought a seat for this season and so far I can't actually sit in.

I fully understand the need for social distancing, but I can guarantee nobody else have bought seats around me.

It wouldn't take much to reallocate the current signed members so that they are covid safe until we can sit where we paid for, rather than having to get some random bullshit seats now.

Edited by Jovan
  • Like 1

19 minutes ago, Jovan said:

What does my head in is the fact we have bought a seat for this season and so far I can't actually sit in.

I fully understand the need for social distancing, but I can guarantee nobody else have bought seats around me.

It wouldn't take much to reallocate the current signed members so that they are covid safe until we can sit where we paid for, rather than having to get some random bullshit seats now.

@Jovan Absolutely correct. It's a total cop-out to blame MOPT. What you suggest should have been done - can still be done. The whole section next to us last season was totally empty. OK so "the gang" wouldn't be sitting next to each other, but we'd be separated by only a few seats, travel together on PT, could talk before the game, and at half-time, and travel home together. Better than being at home watching TV or losing interest altogether.

The club and football administrators are not working hard enough for the fans.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Young Polak said:

Yeah of course, you're totally correct in each of those regards.

The matchday atmosphere has been on a downwards trajectory for a while though prior to COVID, despite the best efforts of those participating in active throughout the years. That said, atmosphere while important isn't the defining drawcard factor for me and honestly, I've been sure to attend as many home games as I can this season as it shouldn't be something to be taken for granted given the circumstances in other parts of the world right now. 

Look the world currently is fucked, generally speaking we are less so, but at the end of the day we are paying customers. And across the league we are being treated like shit with Covid safe as cause, it's not they are simply cutting costs and ripping us off.

I'm over it, this should be an opportunity for the club and the new A League administration to come up with genuine initiatives to bring this game back.

I still can't understand why the fuck they can't post out our membership packs. It just doesn't make sense. 

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Nate said:

I've been sure to attend as many home games as I can this season as it shouldn't be something to be taken for granted given the circumstances in other parts of the world right now. 

That's my mentality with football atm, there are going to be unique cases of excuses or reasons for people to stop attending games, but since we have been starved to attend venues all of last year, I would have thought that attending a sporting event could be something to get out of the house and not take this opportunity for granted. Either people are scared of covid still, restrictions are a turn off, new ticketing system is too inconvenient for some or its just that Melbourne City as a club isn't that much appealing regardless of making a finals appearance the season prior.

There hasn't been much hype for this sporting code in a long time as well. 

7 hours ago, Young Polak said:

That's my mentality with football atm, there are going to be unique cases of excuses or reasons for people to stop attending games, but since we have been starved to attend venues all of last year, I would have thought that attending a sporting event could be something to get out of the house and not take this opportunity for granted. Either people are scared of covid still, restrictions are a turn off, new ticketing system is too inconvenient for some or its just that Melbourne City as a club isn't that much appealing regardless of making a finals appearance the season prior.

There hasn't been much hype for this sporting code in a long time as well. 

@Young Polak It's all those things on your list. Plus in City's case the decisions taken on membership this season - after many of us had paid up - as @Jovan has said, just don't make sense.

• Like 1

Any midweek game is a no go for me and Saturday's are a 50/50 so there was no chance to make the game with an hour and a half travel and I guess there were others like me.

I think it was the best we have looked, even in the Mombearts era, although the previous games this season have been pretty woeful. Is it going to be a consistent way we play, or was this the aberration? I really liked that both fullbacks inverted at times singular and both together, sometimes pushing on. It frees up a lot of our players to do what they want and to press the opposition. I was very impressed.

Should have made a few more subs at the end though, it's why we conceded, great game non the less.

13 minutes ago, Nate said:

yikes, and for the first Grand Final replay too

Tuesday night, hastily rearranged, just post lockdown, terrible run of form and insipid football. That on top of simmering resentment of CFG, officious COVID marshaling, next to no food choices, no ability to take a bag in on a work night, complete evisceration of active and hence atmosphere, bloody awkward to sit by your mates... No surprise to me. It's hardly encouraging a full house. In these circumstances, on top of it taking me a good two hours to get home at that time of night, why would I not just watch it on TV? 

• Like 3

26 minutes ago, fensaddler said:

Tuesday night, hastily rearranged, just post lockdown, terrible run of form and insipid football. That on top of simmering resentment of CFG, officious COVID marshaling, next to no food choices, no ability to take a bag in on a work night, complete evisceration of active and hence atmosphere, bloody awkward to sit by your mates... No surprise to me. It's hardly encouraging a full house. In these circumstances, on top of it taking me a good two hours to get home at that time of night, why would I not just watch it on TV? 

Yeah nah I get it, it's just an appalling figure any way you look at it.

It was a high quality game at least.

11 hours ago, belaguttman said:

I'm surprised it was that high from the look of it

The club is not above fudging attendances - the FFA Cup match against WSW being a case.

9 hours ago, Young Polak said:

Lets be honest, not many people would be fucked going to a game on a weeknight [except a friday night]. Like who would really be keen for that?
It felt really odd for me to arrange and make the effort to go last Tuesday 

IMO if the league doesn't get its act together it's possible that these low attendances will become the new normal.

• Like 1