Melbourne Football

Round 19: City v. Adelaide AAMI Park Fri 27th Feb KO 7.40 p.m.

jw1739

We'll that's no good! Don't think he had a passion to start with then. I can never disown this club regardless what changes. Each to their own though..

He contributed a large amount to the terrace, ran a podcast and was a big part of the keep melbourne red and white campaign, he was one of the most passionate Heart supporters there was.

And without starting another debate about, a lot of people (including myself) consider it to be a new club. 

• Like 6

Definitely the kind of performance and result we needed. After the calamity of the derby at Etihad, the second half fade-out at Wellington and the lack of intensity against Perth things needed to change. 

From a tactical perspective, it was an interesting game. Van't Schip's decision to start with a 3-6-1 (or, probably more accurately, a 5-1-2-1-1) seemed to be simultaneously a reasonable decision and yet a bad decision.

It was reasonable for two main reasons:  

1. We have a crisis of wide attacking players at the moment (with Dugandzic, Garrucio and Duff out injured, and Ramsay horribly out of form), while our central midfield is strong.

2. One of our biggest problems in recent weeks has been reducing the creative influence of Koren by playing him out on the wing, where he's also been of limited use defensively. Switching to this system allowed Koren play in a more natural central position where he is (in theory at least) able to create for and feed Kennedy.

Yet it didn't work out. There were a few reasons for this:

1. Kennedy's main strength is heading in crosses and having only Clisby and Safuwin on the flanks severely limited our ability to provide them.

2. Our back five was caught out on multiple occasions. Clisby and Safuwan were often caught ahead of the back central three, allowing Mabil and Sanchez pockets of space to stay onside on the touchline. Fortunately we were able to deal with this due to Adelaide's general reluctance to cross. When they did cross, we had three central defenders who were able to repel them.

3. With no wide outlet (except when Clisby and Safuwan arrived late) the speed of our build up play was horribly slow, and Adelaide's width (assisted by our 3-6-1) allowed them to dominate possession as the 1st half went on. 

Van't schip switched to the usual 4-3-3 after the break, and didn't it work a treat? The introduction of William's energy and intensity made all the difference. There is no question that we benefited from the absence of Isaias (Jeggo was WOEFUL in Isaias's usual no. 6 role in the second half) but, equally, the width of the 4-3-3 system allowed us to stretch Adelaide's defense and put more pressure on makeshift CB pairing McGowan and Elrich, who were simply strolling around following Kennedy in the first half with no wide threat to worry about. 

Edited by AzureKingfisher

i thought we played well in the first half, was just a very different performance that we are usually treated to. we went defensively and counter attacked which should suit out strengths but with our injuries we did lack pace on the wings. however saying that, we created a lot more clear chances than they did in the first half even with them scoring. we did sit back and invite them to pressure us but overall we did keep good shape and they struggled to break us down. 

second half we had to chase the game and went for it which was the biggest positive i took on the game. we exploited their biggest weakness with their 2 CB's out and it worked perfectly. Sometimes JvS can get it right.

I just don't think we even looked close to unlocking their defence in the first half. It looked like one of those arm wrestles where someone is well out of their depth and the other just holds them for a while, just for shits and giggles. So the second half was pretty hard to foresee.

Disappointing that Perth couldn't do themselves and us more of a favour, but with another game against Brisbane to come, our destiny is in our own hands.

I tend to agree that the first half was quite disappointing, however we did create a couple of chances.

IIRC Clisby had two shots, one forced a relatively easy save as it was dead straight and the other was a whisker wide.

On another day he might've scored one or both.

Feel like we're about to go on abit of a run 

Central Coast away, with a bit of redemption needed from our last two games, then Newcastle at home. There's no excuses, but let's see.

Wanderers on the Wednesday in between. 

• Like 1

Some further thoughts:

1. I have been critical of JVS's lack of experimentation this season compared to last season. In this game he started with a different formation due to lack of wingers but that did not work as expected. He then reverted to the standard 4-3-3 and that worked well but I don't know why. Was it the personnel on the field? Kennedy and Safuwan are practically new to the team, Jaliens as well; OR was it that Koren lifted; OR is the team is jelling together with the 4-3-3 formation?

2. I don't think that Ramsay has any supporters in this forum but he probably played his best game for the club this season. Yet, he was not playing LB, he was playing up forward on the left which is his natural position. The club probably screwed his career by trying to change him into something that he is not.

3. Safuwan Baharudin is now a default RB. Where to now for Hoffman? I have stated before that Hoffman does not offer much for the team and was unlikely to improve. I think that Baharudin has underlined this.

Some further thoughts:

1. I have been critical of JVS's lack of experimentation this season compared to last season. In this game he started with a different formation due to lack of wingers but that did not work as expected. He then reverted to the standard 4-3-3 and that worked well but I don't know why. Was it the personnel on the field? Kennedy and Safuwan are practically new to the team, Jaliens as well; OR was it that Koren lifted; OR is the team is jelling together with the 4-3-3 formation?

2. I don't think that Ramsay has any supporters in this forum but he probably played his best game for the club this season. Yet, he was not playing LB, he was playing up forward on the left which is his natural position. The club probably screwed his career by trying to change him into something that he is not.

3. Safuwan Baharudin is now a default RB. Where to now for Hoffman? I have stated before that Hoffman does not offer much for the team and was unlikely to improve. I think that Baharudin has underlined this.

I think Jaliens is more like the default RB at the moment. Safuwan has probaly edged ahead of Clisby with that performance as LB.

Overall we were much more solid in defence when we switched to the 4-3-3

It will be interesting if he sticks with the team that finished the game. For some reason Williams has performed better when coming on as a sub than starting.

Should play a 3 at the back TBH

Jaliens      Kisnorbo      Chapman

Paartalu     Safuwan

Wiliams    Mooy   Koren   Clisby

Kennedy

We have very solid CBs and a lot of midfield talent, why not utilise this and play a very attacking, midfield-dominant formation coming to the end of the season?

Some further thoughts:

Ramsay played 15 mins I think it was more of a case he didn't have enough time to fuck up rather than playing his best game of the season. I think he will always moments of good positive contributions during a game but they are sadly outweighed by his general incompetece. To me he's out of his depth and that the only person that is responsible for his career is him.

Some further thoughts:

I think Jaliens is more like the default RB at the moment. Safuwan has probaly edged ahead of Clisby with that performance as LB.

Overall we were much more solid in defence when we switched to the 4-3-3

It will be interesting if he sticks with the team that finished the game. For some reason Williams has performed better when coming on as a sub than starting.

Watched the replay last night and the formation originally had Safuwan as a CB between Kisnorbo and Clisby. That lasted for about 15 seconds before he and Jaliens switched places. Then throughout the match Jaliens, Safuwan and Clisby (until half time) kept on swapping places. I think overall Jaliens played more of a CB role than Safuwan who did replace Clisby. My mistake. I guess my point is whether Hoffman has a role to play in the first XI.

As for Williams having a starting role? The evidence points to say that he is better as a substitute. It will also depend on Clisby's injury (took a knock to the knee) and who else is available. Germano seems to have played a full match in the NYL.

I'm hoff's biggest fan, but Jaaliens has his spot covered at the moment.

Hoff still has a spot on the bench tho IMO. His flexibility is invaluable if there is an injury or red card

Thinks it's time for the hoff to return to his natural habitat after carrying the defense department. The central striker.

Come on for Jesus at 75 minutes every game this season

Hoff still has a spot on the bench tho IMO. His flexibility is invaluable if there is an injury or red card

I challenge you for this title BT-50 and agree with Young Polak. The man is a God. With God and Jesus in the same squad we will achieve greatness.

• Like 1

Our ball movement was just too slow in the first half. Most of the time we'd get the ball at half way and look up to see nothing but stagnent players in front of us.

The change of formation/ the addition of Williams really changed the game. Our ball transition was a lot quicker and it looked like we ran Adelaide off their feet.

Would also like to say that in the second half Mooy and Koren started working off each other a bit. I'd like to see that happen more often, both players have beautiful touch with the ball at their feet, and could litually pass the ball all the way up the field between themselves.

I challenge you for this title BT-50 and agree with Young Polak. The man is a God. With God and Jesus in the same squad we will achieve greatness.

Errr...Jesus is God...you know, the whole Father, Son & Holy Spirit thing...just sayin'

• Like 1