Melbourne Football

Round 19: City v. Adelaide AAMI Park Fri 27th Feb KO 7.40 p.m.

jw1739

Well that was an unexpected but appreciated 45 minutes

Finally got in and about a team for the full half and deserved the 3 points in the end.

From Murdocca snapping into tackles and Koren showing more desire, everyone gave it their all in that second 45 minutes. So this is what I want to see for the rest of the season.

• Like 6

If ever there was a game that summarizes football under JVS this is it. Half boring garbage, half fantastic and gutsy.

Unfortunately the two cancel each other out. Overall- mediocre.

oh come on, that's a crap call... mediocre for 15 mins in first half and great for the rest.

Well done boys, fukn awesome win coming from behind against the top team. great character. Could easily have dropped their bundle but didn't.

Came home from interstate and couldn't make it sadly, but well done to Melburnians and rest of the crowd. sounded awesome on radio and tv.

• Like 1

Apart from the obvious I have never been so happy to see the team get over to Ramsay when he scored.

Yes he has been ordinary and he lost all his confidence, but to see him score and to a man they all got to him and even after the game Koren was tipping water on him.

Hopefully this brings some confidence (scoring last week in nyl as well) to him ccaise his 20 mins tonight was probably his best 20 of the season and if he can do that each week he could be a useful sub

I'm not saying his is amazing or anything but he is better

• Like 2

If ever there was a game that summarizes football under JVS this is it. Half boring garbage, half fantastic and gutsy.

Unfortunately the two cancel each other out. Overall- mediocre.

oh come on, that's a crap call... mediocre for 15 mins in first half and great for the rest.

Well done boys, fukn awesome win coming from behind against the top team. great character. Could easily have dropped their bundle but didn't.

Came home from interstate and couldn't make it sadly, but well done to Melburnians and rest of the crowd. sounded awesome on radio and tv.

Dont know about that. We were good for the first 15, but overall pretty worrying.

Second half was amazing. That is what we have been asking for. Thats what we need. More, more, more!

Edited by KSK_47

That was totally unexpected. Three goals from three players that haven't scored before for us! Safuwan, Kennedy and Ramsay! What were the odds.

First I was opposite the Active area and you guys sounded loud! Great stuff.

I though that the first 15 minutes City came out with all guns blazing and then quickly faded. Au then took the ascendency and eventually scored. The second half started with all guns blazing but this time they hit the target twice within 10 minutes. I thought that both Willo and Ramsay as subs were very good. But I don't understand the formation changes - I hope that someone does some analysis on the game. Quite surprised to have seen Paartalau benched but that was a good call. Koren played better this week but still not marquee quality.

I am enjoying the results!

Positives:

A second half with some intensity and passion, its a shame (but pretty usual) that it took a goal to see it.

Williams - played with intelligence and passion when he came on and leveraged JvS' tactical change to change the game.

Kennedy - at last, a forward who can hold the ball and move and pass intelligently. If only someone had pushed his wheelchair faster he could have scored at least a brace.

Jaliens - I can see why he played RB for the Dutch national team. Not fast but intelligent.

JvS - it has taken until today to see any tactical variation from him (more on that)

First time for a long long time that we had 2 forwards score in a game.

Negatives:

JvS, what the fuck were you thinking in the first half? 5-4-1?  3-6-1?We were disorganised, confused, slow, too open. We looked much more fluid when we shifted to 4-3-3 although Williams made a big difference. Of most concern I can't see any sign of progression in the team either tactically or tecnically. Contrast this with Adelaide.

Kisnorbo - tackles well but poor positioning and terrible distribution. Opponents allow him preferentially to get the ball and channel our attacks through him.

Koren - 1 good assist to Kennedy that resulted in a goal but we expect and need more. I'll add a qualifier that he was played (as usual) out of position)

Incidentally I must have dropped through a rift in space into a parallel universe, I'm sure I saw Iain Ramsay score from a long range 1m shot. What was I smoking?

Edited by belaguttman
  • Like 4

I still think some of our attacks are to slow. At one point Koren completely stopped when we was on the break and the attack was dead.

Also had a good chat with the Red Wig Adelaide Supporter and he was saying that there has been a bit of a rift at adelaide, nothing serious like Newcastle but some players unhappy ie.Mabil

Edited by haz

Koren had a better game, great ball to Kennedy. Koren would have had an even better game had Mooy not drowned him out of it. The amount of times he made a perfect run only for Mooy not to pass it and do something himself was incredible. He's still doesn't stand out for a marquee though.

For me at the moment Safuwan was the man of the match. He scored a goal, completely and utterly destroyed Mabil once he was played on the left fullback position and then when Mabils brother came on he destroyed him as well, won nearly every tackle and basically owned that left wing. Did I mention he scored?!! Singapore is up in flames tonight :up:

Anyway what a win. And a win for Friday night footballe as well.

And well done to Melburnians, sounded great!

Edited by n i k o
  • Like 2

JVS earned his money tonight and the team responded. We ran out of ideas in the first half but it goes to show that Willo doesn't necessarily have to score goals himself. His energy and intelligent work in the second half was the difference. I'm impressed with Safuwan. He could be one of our real finds. He's shown in the short stint that he isn't afraid of stepping up to the HAL and he is calm and composed on the ball. Kennedy is working himself into form but he'll never be a speed demon. But holding the ball up, laying it off and the occassional header goal will do for me. Thanks Ramsay.

Great noise from supporters - pretty much shut up the Red Army.

• Like 1

Just seen the crowd numbers 7,345. How disappointing. We have definitely not improved this from last year.

Not disappointed. Not our problem.

The club can sort it out, as they made it clear they don't want our advice. In the meantime enjoy the lack of queues! And what was our advice? Keep the red and white