Melbourne Football

Offside or not Offside.

johnno cpfc

i have been following football since i was seven or eight years old ( i am now 81) but for the life of me i cannot figure out what is happening to the offside rule. it is driving me insane when watching some of the offside decisions , my understanding of this rule is that if a player is in an offside position when the ball is passed either to him or forward to a position where he would be offside the assistant ref must raise his/her flag provided the said player attempts to play the ball. So why in heavens name are we seeing linesmen keep the flag down. we are informed by the controlling bodies that the flag is not raised "to see what happens" , what a load of Bulls**t , if the player is offside he is offside no questions need to be asked . What is happening is spoiling the game for everyone, so can someone clear up this load of twaddle please????

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, johnno cpfc said:

i have been following football since i was seven or eight years old ( i am now 81) but for the life of me i cannot figure out what is happening to the offside rule. it is driving me insane when watching some of the offside decisions , my understanding of this rule is that if a player is in an offside position when the ball is passed either to him or forward to a position where he would be offside the assistant ref must raise his/her flag provided the said player attempts to play the ball. So why in heavens name are we seeing linesmen keep the flag down. we are informed by the controlling bodies that the flag is not raised "to see what happens" , what a load of Bulls**t , if the player is offside he is offside no questions need to be asked . What is happening is spoiling the game for everyone, so can someone clear up this load of twaddle please????

It does my head in too Johnno. But the rule has changed from what we grew up with - if you remember, the operative clause was "interfering with play."

I refer you to https://www.thefa.com/football-rules-governance/lawsandrules/laws/football-11-11/law-11---offside#:~:text=A player is in an,and the second-last opponent

You will probably reach information overload before you get to the end of the rule and I'm not sure that any referee or linesman could possibly remember it all.

VAR makes it even worse of course.

• 4 months later...

The rules are crazy, the rule for the ball for out of play etc "the whole ball must be over the the whole of the line" so why is this not the same for Offside ie,the whole of the player must be over the whole of the line not his big toe or finger or indeed his arm or foot. Which brings me to the line drawn by VAR is what i would call a pencil line not a line the same as on the pitch which is about 10cm wide so in my opinion if a players leg  or any part of him/her  is on the line they would have to be deemed onside, but at the moment as the line is so thin i cannot see how they rule the player to be offside if they are not protruding OVER the line by at least part of their WHOLE body. .

• Like 1

I agree with you. Whole body over the whole of the line. But even that is looking only at that player's position. It does not take into account whether he is interfering with play, or even the direction that he is moving. IMO rules are best kept simple - the more complicated they are the more difficult to interpret they are. K.I.S.S. The rule was best as it was - and leave the referee and linemen to adjudicate. Of course there were mistakes and controversies, but most of them are long-forgotten, accepted by players and fans in the context of "win some, lose some." Endless frame-by-frame replays are wrecking the game. Life is a continuum - I don't think I'd like a frame-by-frame replay of mine!

1 hour ago, johnno cpfc said:

The rules are crazy, the rule for the ball for out of play etc "the whole ball must be over the the whole of the line" so why is this not the same for Offside ie,the whole of the player must be over the whole of the line not his big toe or finger or indeed his arm or foot. Which brings me to the line drawn by VAR is what i would call a pencil line not a line the same as on the pitch which is about 10cm wide so in my opinion if a players leg  or any part of him/her  is on the line they would have to be deemed onside, but at the moment as the line is so thin i cannot see how they rule the player to be offside if they are not protruding OVER the line by at least part of their WHOLE body. .

I think the Premier League are using thicker lines next year. IFAB should introduce a mandatory thickness. Would be a good start. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jw1739 said:

I agree with you. Whole body over the whole of the line. But even that is looking only at that player's position. It does not take into account whether he is interfering with play, or even the direction that he is moving. IMO rules are best kept simple - the more complicated they are the more difficult to interpret they are. K.I.S.S. The rule was best as it was - and leave the referee and linemen to adjudicate. Of course there were mistakes and controversies, but most of them are long-forgotten, accepted by players and fans in the context of "win some, lose some." Endless frame-by-frame replays are wrecking the game. Life is a continuum - I don't think I'd like a frame-by-frame replay of mine!

The interfering with play is a big issue for me. If a defender is 'required' to play the ball due to the positioning of an attacker then I think they are interfering with play. This anomaly was highlighted in the CCM v Macarthur final (iirc) where the defender trying to cut out a pass (and only getting a small touch on the ball) meant that they had "played" the ball resulting in the offside attacker being onside and scoring. I believe something similar also happened in for one of Lukaku's goals in the group stage of the Euros 

It is impossible for a defender to ascertain with the same preciseness as that of the VAR whether an attacker is onside or not, and to simply let the ball through on the belief that they are offside is an almost unforgivable 'error' imo. 

I really think the rule needs to be changed in this regard.

17 hours ago, malloy said:

The interfering with play is a big issue for me. If a defender is 'required' to play the ball due to the positioning of an attacker then I think they are interfering with play. This anomaly was highlighted in the CCM v Macarthur final (iirc) where the defender trying to cut out a pass (and only getting a small touch on the ball) meant that they had "played" the ball resulting in the offside attacker being onside and scoring. I believe something similar also happened in for one of Lukaku's goals in the group stage of the Euros 

It is impossible for a defender to ascertain with the same preciseness as that of the VAR whether an attacker is onside or not, and to simply let the ball through on the belief that they are offside is an almost unforgivable 'error' imo. 

I really think the rule needs to be changed in this regard.

Their was a late winner for MV in one of our Etihad derbies that was this exactly; Manny Muscat played at a ball with i think Berisha off side behind him and turned it in to his own net. He doesnt play that ball in that manner with Berisha not there, nor does Victory have any avenue to goal otherwise. 
Actually pretty sure that was against the rules at the time and we got stitched up tbh

• Thanks 1

On 15/02/2021 at 2:46 PM, johnno cpfc said:

I can't answer your question sir but I'm glad to see we have an 81 year old kicking about on this forum. 👏

13 minutes ago, bt50 said:

Their was a late winner for MV in one of our Etihad derbies that was this exactly; Manny Muscat played at a ball with i think Berisha off side behind him and turned it in to his own net. He doesnt play that ball in that manner with Berisha not there, nor does Victory have any avenue to goal otherwise. 
Actually pretty sure that was against the rules at the time and we got stitched up tbh

I do recall that goal and I think it was against rules at the time too, but if it wasn't then it definitely should have been. 

• Like 2