Melbourne Football

AFL 2015 Season

hedaik

The butthurt from our glorious 3peat has been great. Its slowly grown over the past 3 seasons and its well and truly peaked over the weekend.

Only felt like yesterday when people were calling Clarko a failure in 2012 after the sydney choke... of course 2008 didn't count coz it was a "fluke". 

Since then we broke down the unbeatable pressure and defence of freo, smashed the cola swans after they took our star forward and embarrassed west coast after travelling twice in finals... all this with an ageing and "slow" list. 

Now the excuses and reasons behind our success have ranged from free agency (which if anything has hurt us) to the AFL rigging the season (lol).

It all comes down to this. Recruiting and trading well, a tactical genius coach and the best leadership team on and off the field. (A bit of arrogance helps too.)

This is the greatest team to have ever played the game. Cant see us winning it again next year but I don't see why we can't finish top 4 and challenge for it.

B)B)B)

The butthurt from our glorious 3peat has been great. Its slowly grown over the past 3 seasons and its well and truly peaked over the weekend.

Only felt like yesterday when people were calling Clarko a failure in 2012 after the sydney choke... of course 2008 didn't count coz it was a "fluke". 

Since then we broke down the unbeatable pressure and defence of freo, smashed the cola swans after they took our star forward and embarrassed west coast after travelling twice in finals... all this with an ageing and "slow" list. 

Now the excuses and reasons behind our success have ranged from free agency (which if anything has hurt us) to the AFL rigging the season (lol).

It all comes down to this. Recruiting and trading well, a tactical genius coach and the best leadership team on and off the field. (A bit of arrogance helps too.)

This is the greatest team to have ever played the game. Cant see us winning it again next year but I don't see why we can't finish top 4 and challenge for it.

B)B)B)

Modern Era I agree but Collingwood won four in a row from 1927-1930 alongside 1935 and 1936

Also you can't discount the Melbourne Team of the 50's: 1948, 1955-6-7, 1959, 1960 and 1964.

Edited by cadete

Im probably not giving teams of 30+ years as much credit based on a cappless semi-pro 12 team comp, however id probably be happy to concede defeat to that Melbourne team only coz its post war and 5 from 6 (including runner up) is simply amazing in any era. 

Don Pyke to Coach the crows. Good call and im not saying that because he is a Claremont boy

You support Claremont?

I can picture you commanding the Clubba Dance Floor Podium as I post... I used to love catching the train with my mates to Claremont games in the 90's and paying out on the Christchurch and Scotch kids as the Sharks kicked away in the last.

• Like 2

You support Claremont?

I can picture you commanding the Clubba Dance Floor Podium as I post... I used to love catching the train with my mates to Claremont games in the 90's and paying out on the Christchurch and Scotch kids as the Sharks kicked away in the last.

Yeah im a long time Claremont supporter. My uncle goes for the tigers so pretty much can say since i was born. I think that's how i came to become a Richmond supporter 

Yeah im a long time Claremont supporter. My uncle goes for the tigers so pretty much can say since i was born. I think that's how i came to become a Richmond supporter 

I always wondered why you followed Richmond when you were from Perth...

TBH I have a reason for hating every WAFL club bar Swans and Peel but like I mentioned before our hatred for The Mont's was particularly strong amongst my mates because it basically fell along school lines at Rep/Colts level with most of the blokes from my school (Aquinas) playing for Easts whilst Claremont had most of the Hale, CCGS and Scotch kids in their zone.

Plus then after school we were always competing with blokes that went to those schools for the girls at UWA attention on the lawn.

I always wondered why you followed Richmond when you were from Perth...

TBH I have a reason for hating every WAFL club bar Swans and Peel but like I mentioned before our hatred for The Mont's was particularly strong amongst my mates because it basically fell along school lines at Rep/Colts level with most of the blokes from my school (Aquinas) playing for Easts whilst Claremont had most of the Hale, CCGS and Scotch kids in their zone.

Plus then after school we were always competing with blokes that went to those schools for the girls at UWA attention on the lawn.

Probably going off track of this Topic but i grew up in Como . So had a hate for Wesley Boys As even though i went to Como High School we would always been competing for the attention of Penhros Girls. Well even when i was going to Collier Primary was like that. Riding our bikes and talking to the ones we met at blue light discos . Wesley didn't like that lol 

Probably going off track of this Topic but i grew up in Como . So had a hate for Wesley Boys As even though i went to Como High School we would always been competing for the attention of Penhros Girls. Well even when i was going to Collier Primary was like that. Riding our bikes and talking to the ones we met at blue light discos . Wesley didn't like that lol 

Still of topic...

In the early years of high school we did not like Wesley and were jealous of their connection to Penhros in comparison to Santa Maria but by the end of school we had well and truly got to know everyone from Penhros and Wesley (Also the Penhros girls were pretty much the same as Santa Maria one's in hindsight).

And then basically as what tends to happen with every year level at these schools: AC, Wesley, Santa and Penhros just all merge into one large Social Group from Leavers onwards for the rest of their lives.

Edit - However my main reason for hating Perth Demons is Wesley related but more to do with one individual than the school itself.

Edited by cadete

Dangerfield is officially a Geelong player. 

Still reckon the Cats will miss the 8 next year but you never know.

Personally I reckon we could just make it... our Midfield really improved later in the Season when Duncan came back into help out Sellwood whilst Guthrie, Caddy and Motlop all had strong ends of the Season. 

Also Menzel "might" do his knee again but you place him as well besides Danger and maybe Sellwood from WCE then our major issue of getting smashed at Clearances is looking a hell of a lot better. Rhys Stanley also showed a lot more than anyone expected when he was rucking and Blitz just gets better and better.

I think if we had just had a better midfield even with Clarke and Hawkins battling personal issues we would have made this Season as we had some decent wins and came pretty close. Teams just having to chose between Sellwood and Danger is a massive help.

Danger and S. Selwood. 

Are Geelong top 4 material now??

No.

Of course not but considering that we have the third amount of players in the early 20's bracket after the two expansion clubs... these trades alongside the improvement from our younger mids at the end of 2015 makes me feel the road back is a lot shorter than when I walked out of us getting pumped by North.

Honestly think we are.... These are things I like to think I'm realistic about and I see us that way (that's with us tying up Henderson and Smith aswell). Too hard going into detail on why but as everyone knows injuries will play a big part.

The other club who I see as a big improver next season is Collingwood.  

Honestly think we are.... These are things I like to think I'm realistic about and I see us that way (that's with us tying up Henderson and Smith aswell). Too hard going into detail on why but as everyone knows injuries will play a big part.

The other club who I see as a big improver next season is Collingwood.  

the reason Geelong were ordinary this year was their inability to win clearances. Adding Dangerfield to the mix will enable Selwood and to a lesser extent Duncan to be freed up and get them right back in the mix IMO. Still going to be heavily reliant on Clark and Hawkins combining effectively, but I'd be bullish of at least a top 8, perhaps as high as 4-5 finish all things going well.

the reason Geelong were ordinary this year was their inability to win clearances. Adding Dangerfield to the mix will enable Selwood and to a lesser extent Duncan to be freed up and get them right back in the mix IMO. Still going to be heavily reliant on Clark and Hawkins combining effectively, but I'd be bullish of at least a top 8, perhaps as high as 4-5 finish all things going well.

The best possible situation up forward for Geelong is beyond workable as it is: Hawkins, Clarke, Vardy as "fit" tall options and Menzel as the "fit" guy as half forward alongside Motlop and Gregson who showed a fair bit in his first season playing at times as half forwards.

(However there are so many big "IF'S" amongst that lot)

• 2 weeks later...

that 1st rounder next season will be handy

lol at carlisle snorting on snapchat, absolute dickhead 

you reckon?  It will be many a long year before that hypothetical player delivers.  We seem to have put more effort in accumulating picks for next year than worrying about this coming year.  Might as well right next season off now and on the back of a season just gone that effectively ended in round 1 (if you lose to Melbourne, you know you are rubbish) it has me thinking just follow NRL in winter.

you reckon?  It will be many a long year before that hypothetical player delivers.  We seem to have put more effort in accumulating picks for next year than worrying about this coming year.  Might as well right next season off now and on the back of a season just gone that effectively ended in round 1 (if you lose to Melbourne, you know you are rubbish) it has me thinking just follow NRL in winter.

dees won't make finals so that's already a top 10 pick, even with the easiest bracket of fixtures they shouldn't get that close to finals so probly pick 6-7, losing dixon and bennell won't help though 

lol Carlisle. lol @ people looking at me funny when I said I was glad this cunt is leaving Essendon.

Seriously, just can't get my head around it. I've received similar snapchats from mates who are travelling and thought to myself "Fuck, you're a hero", must be having a ball if you need to let me know about the Coke your snorting, let alone a professional athlete being that insecure that he needs to let his mates know that he's off guts overseas. :wacko:

As cooked as Dustin Martin/Dane Swan are, they're wise enough to know how to get away with it.

Can't trust a bloke who has his surname tattooed on his forearm. Especially when you've never met you father Jake :unsure::unsure::wacko:

• Like 5

The draft this year is shit so next year's picks that were traded for will come back to look better in hindsight.

And I agree with you Malimate there is only so many times one bloke out of 50 can have genuine reasons for disagreeing with everyone else... on everything.

Reminds me of Aka.

Edited by cadete

• 3 weeks later...
  • hedaik locked this topic