Melbourne Football

AFL 2015 Season

hedaik

That was pretty ordinary from Goodes. Frankly I hope the afl reprimands him. One things for sure after that he better get used to being booed now.

So what did I say?

You go out of your way to incite opposition supporters and what do you think will happen?  i know some people reckon his dance was great, but to me it was just a sophisticated way of giving the crowd the finger.

The bloke is obviously sensitive, but at the same time can't see how his behaviour offends others.  

• Like 2

So what did I say?

You go out of your way to incite opposition supporters and what do you think will happen?  i know some people reckon his dance was great, but to me it was just a sophisticated way of giving the crowd the finger.

The bloke is obviously sensitive, but at the same time can't see how his behaviour offends others.  

agreed Shahanga, and thats what i am struggling to understand.

as far as i'm concerned, Goodes carries himself in a way that is a little arrogant / as a bit of a douche.

that said, not many AFL fans have much to complain about.  its not like he has had a go at every club's fan base.

when i think back to Lucas Neill being booed by us, it was because he as a fuckhead when dealing with our club.  Goodes on the other hand hasnt really done that.

if they're gonna boo Goodes for being arrogant, a douche, shit bloke, whatever, then they need to start booing others.  

but you dont hear the systematic booing for Harry Ballantyne, Joel Selwood, Ryan Crowley, Bomber Harvey like you do with Goodes.  

hence it makes me wonder what the fucks wrong with the footy fans? its not like Goodes has really slighted any clubs / fans bar Carlton fans.

Edited by mattyh001

agreed Shahanga, and thats what i am struggling to understand.

as far as i'm concerned, Goodes carries himself in a way that is a little arrogant / as a bit of a douche.

that said, not many AFL fans have much to complain about.  its not like he has had a go at every club's fan base.

when i think back to Lucas Neill being booed by us, it was because he as a fuckhead when dealing with our club.  Goodes on the other hand hasnt really done that.

if they're gonna boo Goodes for being arrogant, a douche, shit bloke, whatever, then they need to start booing others.  

but you dont hear the systematic booing for Harry Ballantyne, Joel Selwood, Ryan Crowley, Bomber Harvey like you do with Goodes.  

hence it makes me wonder what the fucks wrong with the footy fans? its not like Goodes has really slighted any clubs / fans bar Carlton fans.

I remember seeing one of the greatest cricketers I've ever watched, Richard Hadlee, get booed from every corner of the country. It made no sense to me, the only thing I could come up with was it was that it took off once the crowds realised he didn't like it.

might be a bit of that in it.

Ps The guy seems a total wanker but he is at least a model pro unlike say Jake King who happily associated with criminals yet was loved by the masses.

Edited by Shahanga
  • Like 2

If you can't see the direct correlation between the boos and the Australian of the year speech and the incident with the Collingwood girl you are kidding yourself.

Are all of the boos racist, absolutely not. Nothing is ever so black and white. But that being said the reason I personally feel the majority of people boo is that the average Australian doesn't like an indigenous person rocking the boat. Goodes has controversial views on tough issues, as is his right as he is living those issues now. People boo because Goodes challenges their comfortable narrative about Australia.

I'm not a fan of the boo culture in any context. As an All Blacks fan I hated it when the NZ public did it to Quade Cooper in 2011.

Ultimately people have a right to boo though and the AFL shouldn't be ejecting people unless they are actually saying something racist. Just as Goodes has a right to voice his opinions on indigenous issues fans have a right to boo.

tl;dr, do I like it no. Should it forcibly be stopped no.

• Like 6

Because if you walked into any other workplace and began constantly booing and abusing a staff member you'd be moved on/dragged out pretty quickly.

TTIM: when people compare sport clubs to normal, everyday workplaces

• Like 5

TTIM: when people compare sport clubs to normal, everyday workplaces

TTIM: When people think they can act like cretins and treat someone like shit just because they've "paid the price of admission!"

Probably the stupidest thing Ive heard out of this whole debate. 

You haven't been paying much attention then have you!

• Like 1

Because if you walked into any other workplace and began constantly booing and abusing a staff member you'd be moved on/dragged out pretty quickly.

Seriously, you cannot equate Professional Sporting Landscapes to a Standard Workplace... it's just plain illogical on so many levels.

You may as start saying PPL should apply Workplace Edicate to when attending a Bush Rave as well.

Edited by cadete

Seriously, you cannot equate Professional Sporting Landscapes to a Standard Workplace... it's just plain illogical on so many levels.

You may as start saying PPL should apply Workplace Edicate to when attending a Bush Rave as well.

Still doesn't make it any more right or ok just because it's "not a normal workplace".

It's not "any other workplace." Football matches at the AFL level are entertainment, held at venues where the spectators have to pay to get in, and the players are professional entertainers. Audiences have been heckling entertainers for hundreds of years, and in Shakespeare's time would pelt the actors with food if they disliked a play. The slow hand-clap and booing have been part of football and various other sports for as long as I can remember. In the days when films (movies) were on celluloid the audience would often slow hand-clap the projectionist if there was a delay in changing reels.

Trying to force political correctness on a society just foments resistance to change.

• Like 1

Griffin McMaster tweeting Adam Goodes should be deported is probably the most hilariously stupid thing I've heard. Where the fuck do you deport an indigenous Australian to?

Don't think it was meant to be taken too seriously. Very good troll by big griff, I was very impressed.

Im just glad theres one poster in this forum that matches his avatar

Ahh come on, cut me some slack! I've been looking after a 2 month old all day after seeing Blur last night.

I may not have formulated the world's greatest argument, but that was harsh!

Edited by Pete Heartspur

Ahh come on, cut me some slack! I've been looking after a 2 month old all day after seeing Blur last night.

I may not have formulated the world's greatest argument, but that was harsh!

And I had a comeback ready for you as well expecting you to call me blind.

Congrats on the baby. 

Still doesn't make it any more right or ok just because it's "not a normal workplace".

Well it simply isn't a normal workplace that is how sport has always been treated - It works both ways its not like Players or Officials dont receive their salary or can be sued if they dont do their job like in a normal workplace.

I think the funniest thing is white people telling a brown man what is and isn't racist. That's like asking Bill Cosby what he thinks of rape.

Suck it up though, minorities, don't rock the boat. Don't make white people feel uncomfortable.

Edited by Jun

The thing I find the funniest is the pretty much the whole media condemn what's happening. Though I feel that's not the popular opinion in the majority of the football public.  

Journos get paid to get a story. They flog it until a better one comes along. What people say in the privacy of their own homes is often very different from what they will admit to in public, because it's generally not in in one's personal interest to be too controversial, and very few people are prepared to be martyrs. I'm as guilty of that as the next person.

I think the funniest thing is white people telling a brown man what is and isn't racist. That's like asking Bill Cosby what he thinks of rape.

Suck it up though, minorities, don't rock the boat. Don't make white people feel uncomfortable.

So a white person can't boo with any intention besides one that is race related..?

Ive disliked Adam Goodes since I can remember, is that ok? Me being white and all...

So if anyone of non Caucasian decent boos any AFL umpire that could be portrayed as racism?

Absolutely ludicrous!

I think the funniest thing is you doing the exact same thing that you are accusing the boo-ers of, generalising. 

Whats next, all City fans are racist because we hate Archie Thompson?

Edited by hedaik

I'm not sure what it is, if the three of you are unwilling to understand the issue or incapable of.
Heartinhobart, Hedaik and HeartFC, the act of booing a person, as ugly as it may be, is in and of itself is not racist, it's the context of the months of sustained booing Goodes has received, that is your critical misunderstanding of the issue.

I'm not sure what it is, if the three of you are unwilling to understand the issue or incapable of.
Heartinhobart, Hedaik and HeartFC, the act of booing a person, as ugly as it may be, is in and of itself is not racist, it's the context of the months of sustained booing Goodes has received, that is your critical misunderstanding of the issue.

Once again, you're generalising on why people don't like Goodes which makes you no different to the so called racists. 

Ballantyne and Crowley both received boo's everytime they pick up the ball and have done for years. The reasons why they are hated are just as petty as the reasons why Goodes has been hated for the last 3 years (diving and playing for free kicks). And if you think the Goodes hatred has only started in the last few months, then you obviously don't really follow footy that closely. 

For the record, I don't hate Goodes and never have or never would boo him, and as I said on a previous page, now that it has become a perceived racial issue and its gone outside of the playing field it should stop. 

Edited by hedaik
  • Like 5

• hedaik locked this topic