Melbourne Football

AFL 2015 Season

hedaik

Its kind of funny looking all the way back to before Hird became Essendon Coach...

How he had those constant arrogant statements and stupid interviews  about how he did not want the job for around a year prior to him, Watson and Thompson getting together and booting Knights out the door.

The way he acted throughout that whole saga has been reflected in his coaching style and attitude over the past few seasons... I think it now looks pretty certain that Matthew Knights (Dont get me wrong - Not a great coach either) is at least going to end up having at least a VFL premiership to his name at Geelong to hang his hat when he retires from coaching whilst all Hird will have is the fancy degree he got in his Season away from the club.

and the tanned skin.

Its kind of funny looking all the way back to before Hird became Essendon Coach...

How he had those constant arrogant statements and stupid interviews  about how he did not want the job for around a year prior to him, Watson and Thompson getting together and booting Knights out the door.

The way he acted throughout that whole saga has been reflected in his coaching style and attitude over the past few seasons... I think it now looks pretty certain that Matthew Knights (Dont get me wrong - Not a great coach either) is at least going to end up having at least a VFL premiership to his name at Geelong to hang his hat when he retires from coaching whilst all Hird will have is the fancy degree he got in his Season away from the club.

He's just an arrogant prick who should've been sacked at the start of the season when we had the chance.

It's just not enough for him to destroy the clubs reputation off the field, he's slowly destroying it on field now too. He needed to earn his stripes like bucks did and we should've had some type of succession plan like collingwood but instead he thought he could take all the responsibility straight away. It was working too until this season when James Hird realised how lucky he was to have a 2 time premiership winning coach as his fallback/mentor.

His inability to even fix the gaps in the list like our ruck stocks for example i know its impossible to replace Paddy Ryder but we had two reasonable high draft picks last draft and tradeble assests but instead of doing anything we take a washed up Jonthan Giles and even when we literally don't have a recognised ruckman in the team he still doesn't play him ffs :droy:

The similarities between him and John Aliosi are really worrying :(

silly boys 

Don't they know, crack is where it's at?

The whole thing reeks of AFL players doing what Professional Sportsmen do in the NRL States, I am always amazed at the amount second chances some of League's biggest idiots get at new clubs.

The whole thing reeks of AFL players doing what Professional Sportsmen do in the NRL States, I am always amazed at the amount second chances some of League's biggest idiots get at new clubs.

too right.  If I was caught having a puff/snort by my boss, my job would be the least of my worries 

it's hard to see anyone in the AFL community being up for games this weekend now

Cant see the Adelaide game going ahead but I think it would be too much to cancel the whole round, players continue to play when their parents or close relatives die during the week. 

Going to be interesting to hear the full story, apparently the wife is in hospital for injuries as well. 

Cant see the Adelaide game going ahead but I think it would be too much to cancel the whole round, players continue to play when their parents or close relatives die during the week. 

Going to be interesting to hear the full story, apparently the wife is in hospital for injuries as well. 

These circumstances are a lot different to anything the AFL has ever dealt with before. And it's not just the Adelaide Crows this will affect. I think the round should be canceled purely out of respect. Doubt it will happen though. 

Edited by Pete Heartspur

Saddening news this morning. 

I can see the AFL pushing back the season to accommodate the cancellation of the rest of the round as well as playing any cancelled game midweek. Adelaide game definitely cancelled in any case. AFL has its hands tied with this; they won't wanna cop shit over putting money above player welfare.  

Sunrise with their psychologist on the line now. What a fucking disgrace, have some respect you cunts.

that's why I don't watch those fuck tards on commercial tv morning shows. They act like cunts chasing stories with laced angles / try to make a massive story of shit

Purely from a football perspective weve been screwed over. This was the exact match that we would go into as a must win.

i just wonder if the AFL considered carrying these points overer to the round 23 match between the cats and crows. An 8 point match. Would have certainly been something different

Someone really needs to explain to me why the game can't just be postponed?

longer recovery times needed with Afl so can't have a midweek game, and the cricket season (plus other logistical issues) means games can't be put back a week.

longer recovery times needed with Afl so can't have a midweek game, and the cricket season (plus other logistical issues) means games can't be put back a week.

I don't buy that a midweek game can't happen because of recovery times, especially as a once off and if it was put into the schedule wherever there is the most space between games for the two teams.

• Like 1

Well you don't have to buy it but that's the reason why. The game is longer (120 mins) and much more physically demanding compared to other sports that have multiple games in a week.

If it was half realistic at least one expert or commentator would have suggested it, which hasn't happened. 

Edited by hedaik

Well you don't have to buy it but that's the reason why. The game is longer (120 mins) and much more physically demanding compared to other sports that have multiple games in a week.

If it was half realistic at least one expert or commentator would have suggested it, which hasn't happened. 

but they all drink their own bath water. There is no independent thought or analysis about some of these cliches. There was a time when they played twice a week. There was a time when they played a full season without a holiday in the middle.

they can't do it because they all tell themselves they can't. You can't tell me it's a tougher game than NRL, yet state of origin players often back up with a 48hour turn around.

having said that though current AFL culture is no short turnarounds. No way they could bring it in for these 2 clubs.

Edited by Shahanga

When did they play twice a week?

Can't compare the modern game to previous years anyway, the workrate and amount of running done today is incomparable to whatever stat you might bring up about University or somebody playing 2 games in a week in 1762 

What I meant was, it would be perfectly fine. TBH shows how insignificant AFL is that they've never had to seriously consider shorter turnarounds, .

"It's more physical demanding" is a load of crap, in season pros will back up just fine, maybe not 100% but pretty close to. It would only be a serious issue if they were playing 2 games a week over the course of the season.

What I meant was, it would be perfectly fine. TBH shows how insignificant AFL is that they've never had to seriously consider shorter turnarounds, .

Don't really see why that makes the sport insignificant, F1 wouldnt be considered insignificant if they had issues moving the Monaco Grand Prix in between the Melbourne and China Grand Prix. 

"It's more physical demanding" is a load of crap, in season pros will back up just fine, maybe not 100% but pretty close to. It would only be a serious issue if they were playing 2 games a week over the course of the season.

Sure it could be done, but the problem is that players will need to be rested for the pre-midweek game, the midweek game, and then the post midweek game (then the following weeks) so it screws them for multiple games and disadvantages them more than it should. 

As I said, if it was half realistic, people that know the game more than me and you would be suggesting it. 

pissed away 2 games in a row now, shit kicking and umps ruining what should of been a big win

ducking and holding the ball rules are so fucking shit

When will a Collingwood supporter not blame the umpires for a loss? I looked at the stats expecting a massive discrepcy in free kicks but infact, Collingwood won them 18-13

Edited by HeartinHobart

When will a Collingwood supporter not blame the umpires for a loss? I looked at the stats expecting a massive discrepcy in free kicks but infact, Collingwood won them 18-13

you'd be pretty pissed off if rioli ducking for 2 goals changed the game, then there was gunston dropping the ball in the goal square and a goal coming from it

When did they play twice a week?

Can't compare the modern game to previous years anyway, the workrate and amount of running done today is incomparable to whatever stat you might bring up about University or somebody playing 2 games in a week in 1762 

1977 to 1987. Night series (knock out cup) played at the same time as the VFL. Also the elite players used to play interstate games as well. Not trying to convince you, I know I won', just explaining the "when" that I referred to.

watching that game, I felt it was almost cathartic for the AFL community. A positive end to a horrible day.

I'm certainly not, and neither are the other Pies supporters I went to the game with. 

We simply didn't take our chances. Rapt with the performance and the direction we're headed though.

• Like 1

Regrettably these things are happening regularly. This one gets more attention because the victim involved was high-profile.

Following on from this, domestic violence (in all forms) is sickeningly under reported. We should be absolutely outraged at how many people are being killed each year. Hopefully this incident, such a high profile figure, can help shed much needed light on this crisis.

A win at last!

Well done boys and well done Rocket and what a win it was! Incidentally its been such a terrible season, that we were 50 ahead in the last quarter and I was still biting my nails.

Now why one player (even if he is a superstar) can make so much difference to the overall performance is quite beyond me.  

• hedaik locked this topic