Melbourne Football

City v Newcastle @ Newcastle, Sunday 7th February, 4.05 pm

Harrison

I know it's not usually the right thing to do, but does anyone know what we can do to recall Najjarine and play him as a 10?

We have no creativity at all in midfield, and we have a kid who has shown some really good signs who is ours. It might not be liked across the league, but we need to be ruthless and if we can make our team and squad stronger, then do it

• Like 1

• Kisnorbo doesn't know what he's doing - the incessant micromanagement from the sideline says it all really, crappy non-existent gameplan aside. 
  • I think substituting an uninjured Tsubaki after 30 minutes was a huge mistake in my opinion. A young kid playing in a foreign country is bound to be a confidence player, and pulling that kind of nonsense (when he wasn't even playing that badly) isn't going to do anyone any favours. Either start him and maintain the faith until at least half time if he isn't performing to the standard - or don't start him at all. 
  • Our midfield is also still very shit or at least, dreadfully imbalanced. We literally start with 3 near-identical box-to-box midfielders without any defensive cover for our central defenders, like how??? Luna was our best player today for his industry but his finishing/composure was obviously poor. Metcalfe, however shouldn't be starting on current form.
  • Atkinson was good, just a tad sloppy but at least he tried.
  • Jamieson is the worst left-back we've ever had, and we had Iain Ramsay. He's an even worse captain, which is saying a lot. 
  • Maclaren needs help up front - the pressure of being the only reliable goalscorer week-in, week-out can't be good for his confidence during a normal form slump. He isn't the problem - others need to pick up the slack, and hopefully Nabbout returning will help somewhat. 
  • Good and Reis worked well together, but both looked fatigued/laboured by the last quarter of the match.
  • We aren't going to make the 6 if we don't drastically change something - be it the manager or new playing personnel.

• Like 4

8 minutes ago, Nate said:
  • Kisnorbo doesn't know what he's doing - the incessant micromanagement from the sideline says it all really, crappy non-existent gameplan aside. 
  • I think substituting an uninjured Tsubaki after 30 minutes was a huge mistake in my opinion. A young kid playing in a foreign country is bound to be a confidence player, and pulling that kind of nonsense (when he wasn't even playing that badly) isn't going to do anyone any favours. Either start him and maintain the faith until at least half time if he isn't performing to the standard - or don't start him at all. 
  • Our midfield is also still very shit or at least, dreadfully imbalanced. We literally start with 3 near-identical box-to-box midfielders without any defensive cover for our central defenders, like how??? Luna was our best player today for his industry but his finishing/composure was obviously poor. Metcalfe, however shouldn't be starting on current form.
  • Atkinson was good, just a tad sloppy but at least he tried.
  • Jamieson is the worst left-back we've ever had, and we had Iain Ramsay. He's an even worse captain, which is saying a lot. 
  • Maclaren needs help up front - the pressure of being the only reliable goalscorer week-in, week-out can't be good for his confidence during a normal form slump. He isn't the problem - others need to pick up the slack, and hopefully Nabbout returning will help somewhat. 
  • Good and Reis worked well together, but both looked fatigued/laboured by the last quarter of the match.
  • We aren't going to make the 6 if we don't drastically change something - be it the manager or new playing personnel.

Recruitment wise why would you use your last visa spot on a 20 year old winger when we had Tilio and Colakovski as backup. Should have used it to buy a Defensive midfielder 

No red card! We have two pairs of A-league standard full backs which is a bit nonsense considering how unbalanced we are in other positions. Atkinson wasn't planned, but still. This means that we will watch him and Ben in improvised forward positions a lot. Something like local versions of RDL.  When JMac misfires, we go down, nothing new here. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, CityBoyz said:

Recruitment wise why would you use your last visa spot on a 20 year old winger when we had Tilio and Colakovski as backup. Should have used it to buy a Defensive midfielder 

Tsubaki was brought in for ACL and I don't have an issue with that.

We also had O'Neill for a defensive mid and Gomulka who should be starting, unfortunately we can't really plan for injuries. Our DM spot is one I am actually comfortable with who we had at start of season, it's just playing the correct players in that position now 

4 minutes ago, neio said:

We also had O'Neill for a defensive mid and Gomulka who should be starting, unfortunately we can't really plan for injuries. Our DM spot is one I am actually comfortable with who we had at start of season, it's just playing the correct players in that position now 

I would have played O’Neill as a 8 and got a Brillante type CDM who is commanding which O’Neill is not 

• Like 2

Imagine Ange Postecoglu watching Tsubaki get dragged off after 30 minutes because we were getting torn apart down the left. Who was the player destroying us a Castro? a Ninkovic? No. Jason Fucking Hoffman playing as a wing back destroying a fullback over and over 1v1, so we sub a winger. Comical stuff. Hope Ange cancels his loan because that's absolutely shambolic. 

We should've been using Tsubaki to pin Hoffman back in defence but we couldn't string 2 passes together and get the ball to him. But heaven forbid we hold the captain accountable, let's just drag the young bloke, that'll show that we mean business.

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, neio said:

Is Gomulka injured?

5 minutes ago, Mr MO said:

Is Gomulka injured?

No, he was on the bench and available for selection. But two rather unconvincing performances forced Kisnorbo’s hand clearly. I think persisting with him for another game or two wouldn’t have been a bad idea (no worse than Metcalfe) and Gomulka might’ve found some form. Longer term the answer is probably Griffiths, who will give us a lot more bite in midfield. At least until O’Neill is back and we get a read on the situation.

12 minutes ago, neio said:

He was on bench today, so I'm assuming he is fit 

I know Gomulka looked raw and shaky the games he played but perhaps a better option than Metcalf. Was he injured on Wednesday or dropped on performance?

It’s such a difficult position in our system, it’s easy when we have possession but when we are being outplayed teams make it looks like we have no defensive cover at all.

Edited by Mr MO

Sigh. CBF talking about the game. Suspect we’re going to see a lot more of that this year.

anyway midfielder stuff.

since round 1 our midfield has struggled. Just looking at the #6 we’ve seen ONeill, Gomulka and Metcalfe struggle there. I don’t think it’s the players. It’s something to do with the philosophy and the coaching.

Now we all know we’ve never had a coach sacked at this club. So I’m expecting Paddy to at least see the season out. Hopefully he learns what he’s doing in that time, so we can avoid the wooden spoon.

I think Metcalfe has improved actually. Can see he's physically stronger and he looks good on the ball. But I'm certain whatever his role is in this team (looks to be box to box) isn't working for him. I think he'd show some more promise of he had a different role in the midfield. 

Edited by n i k o

I avoided posting on the forum last night as my brain needed a break from the anger and disappointment after having to endure another horrible performance ... and with our club chalking up another effort of being the loser in a milestone game for an ex-player who was a constant disappointment when he played for our team.

That being said, I was not surprised by how we played or the result.

No doubt, as a squad we were fatigued, and the conditions looked hard to play, but that was no excuse.

Firstly, to me it seemed that we went too hard early on, and with no goals for reward, we pretty much lost our energy, which allowed the Jets to then control the majority of the game.

I agree fully that PKs sideline approach looks desperate.  Micro management from the sidelines to that extent means the players are always looking over their shoulders,waiting for instruction, rather than being able to focus and take full responsibility for their own game and the game plan in general.  Dragging the Japanese kid was not a good move, as people have rightly pointed out, when Jamo was arguably more of a liability ... it should have been that PK put a rocket up the captain, and with an instruction to sort out the issue of controlling the Hoff.

Our midfield is insipid at the moment. The game plan seems to be push everything out wide for all our attacks, and only go through the centre for long balls, quick breaks or turnovers.  This lack of game plan will produce chances, but it seems that all our chances will need to be a degree lucky, rather than from solid, clever and constructive team play.  Look at clubs with good creative midfielders, like Castro, Diamanti and Ninkovich ... they make chances from their skill and how they bring other players into the game, and when these chances eventuate, they look more likely to score ... and often they do.

Other than the odd killer ball from Luna, we are not able to consistently create threats from midfield.

Given our inability to make good chances, our players become desperate, especially out wide, with NA, BG and CN being our main creative threats.  But these attacks, especially when its all we've got, become predictable, and easy to defend, and when they break down, we are exposed.

Throw a marquee quality midfielder into our team, along with a proven CDM, and Momberts back in the chair, and we'd be a fair chance for the title.  Without this, and based on the current state of play, we're in for a season of pain.  

Can we turn it around under the current scenario?  Maybe, and only if JMac starts putting aways a few more of his chances, although with our toothless midfield, and PK in charge, I doubt it. 

• Like 5

Starting line-ups - 1-0 defeat in the Grand Final last season, and versus Newcastle yesterday.

vs. Sydney              vs. Newcastle

Glover                      Glover
Delbridge                Jamieson
Atkinson                  Atkinson
Windbichler             Reis
Good                         Good
Brillante                    Metcalfe
Luna                          Luna
Berenguer                Berenguer
Maclaren                  Maclaren
Wales                        Tsubaki
Noone                       Noone

Just four changes. IMO Jamieson nowhere near the player Delbridge is, Reis pretty much the same as Windbichler, Metcalfe inferior in Brillante's role, and Tsubaki no worse than Wales and probably better.

So major changes are Delbridge and Brillante - and of course the head coach.

Edited by jw1739

22 hours ago, Nate said:

Jamieson is the worst left-back we've ever had, and we had Iain Ramsay.

Agree with all except for this. Jamo is the second worse Left Back we've ever had.

Coach's anxiety leads to micromanagement and both result in player anxiety. When anxious people become either left brain thinkers, rigid and inflexible, or right brain thinkers - chaotic or disorganised/indecisive.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, belaguttman said:

Coach's anxiety leads to micromanagement and both result in player anxiety. When anxious people become either left brain thinkers, rigid and inflexible, or right brain thinkers - chaotic or disorganised/indecisive.

He’s been doing it for ages. It’s not the shouting from the sidelines that’s the problem, it’s what he says. He’s been saying the same idiotic stuff for years, my favourite is ‘small areas’ (7 times in a row)

Not to mention how he screams at young Tilio at training.....fuck me, the kid won’t learn shit from this idiot. Also dragging players on a whim, he’s renowned for it, ask Idrus about the praccy against Victory earlier this year. Yells Italian insults thinking it makes him more exotic. The flog is clueless and his pressers are starting to become popcorn worthy.

23 minutes ago, HeartFc said:

Luna might be heading towards my dreaded theory on VISA players. Still waiting for City to give me call to hire me as a recruiter. 

I think Luna is in the middle ground of your theory. He has a little agro in him, Noone and FloppyB on the other hand....