Melbourne Football

AFL 2014 Season

toogood18

I don't know what's wrong with me, but I'm finding it so hard to sustain my interest in the AFL this year... am I the only one disillusioned with the game?

Wouldnt have anything to do with following a shit team would it and getting pumped by GWS?

I don't know what's wrong with me, but I'm finding it so hard to sustain my interest in the AFL this year... am I the only one disillusioned with the game?

Wouldnt have anything to do with following a shit team would it and getting pumped by GWS?

A plausible excuse, but not quite  :lol:

Mate, my first taste of AFL as a kid was following Carlton in their shithouse 2002-onwards era where I went to 17 live games before seeing the Blues actually win for the first time but even through all of that rubbish I was pumped to watch footy every single weekend. Nowadays I can hardly bring myself to care, although admittedly I've gotten excited a couple of times during the year. 

I dunno, part of me feels like I'm not really watching the same game as I used to and it definitely feels like the AFL has given the supporters the middle finger so perhaps that's rubbed me the wrong way, I just hope I can re-discover my love for the game again because it's not quite there at the moment.

I feel the same... Besides Carlton games, I've only watched about 2 other full matches. Just doesn't excite me as much anymore.
  • Like 1

I feel the same... Besides Carlton games, I've only watched about 2 other full matches. Just doesn't excite me as much anymore.

What do you reckon it is? 

What do you reckon it is? The rules

I feel the same... Besides Carlton games, I've only watched about 2 other full matches. Just doesn't excite me as much anymore. What do you reckon it is? The rules

Good call, I hate how they don't reward good tackling anymore and never pay incorrect disposal. 

I also hate the modern day tactics of flooding around the stoppages and having 1 player in the forward 50 at the other end of the ground and I guess I also hate the lack of man-on-man battles too.

• Like 1

I reckon it's the constant negativity which gets me.

Whether it's Essendon, Melbourne being garbage, pricing, rules, games style, you name it, nearly all "news" is negative. Not a whole lot to be excited about.

Country footy is far more enjoyable imo.

The rules atm are driving me fucking mental especially when they pay holding the ball for 'not making a genuine attempt'

How the fuck are you meant to make a genuine attempt to get rid of the ball when a bloke is on top of you and both your arms are pinned? Madness

I reckon it's the constant negativity which gets me.

Whether it's Essendon, Melbourne being garbage, pricing, rules, games style, you name it, nearly all "news" is negative. Not a whole lot to be excited about.

Country footy is far more enjoyable imo.

This is pretty spot on tbh. There are so many little problems in the afl at the moment, and that is creating one huge overiding problem, being the dissatisfaction of the fans. They need to sort there shit out, and tbh, I don't see them doing that.. Do the Heads of the afl have the balls to say they have been wrong or that they have made a bad decision? I don't think so.

This 'business' thing is taking over this sport as well..rules are being changed because as Triple H would say, "its what's 'best or business' " when really they need to worry about what's best for the game.

Hot Cloke

Who cares? You lost?

I care cos he's a fuckig legend

And yes we lost. We lost two in two weeks. I've forgotten how that feels. I bet you haven't though.

Typical pies fan. Can't take criticism objectively. Who the fuck was talking about my team? You were talking about Cloke and thus coll. :droy:

The thing I don't understand is why everyone is set on Collingwood being this big successful club.

They've won just 2 premierships in 55 years. They inflate membership figures by selling ridiculously cheap ones. Also, there last home gate proved that quite often they struggle to gain the attendances that you would associate with a big club. Just 28000 against the bulldogs.

The thing I don't understand is why everyone is set on Collingwood being this big successful club.

They've won just 2 premierships in 55 years. They inflate membership figures by selling ridiculously cheap ones. Also, there last home gate proved that quite often they struggle to gain the attendances that you would associate with a big club. Just 28000 against the bulldogs.

Not to mention that the 1990 Flag was a fluke... for those who weren't around like me just look at Collingwood's form in the years prior and after.

Also they were really lucky to come across Geelong having its Gazza/Bomber Issues and Hawthorn having its Captaincy Issues in the same year of 2010. Even then it took them two times to get over the line against St Kilda (Plus there is Milne's kick).

Geelong then beat them both times in the 2011 Home and Away Season (The second time they thrashed them) and it was only on Grand Final eve that they were not longer Flag Favourite... and then Geelong came out and drew away from them in a convincing manner in the last term.

Edited by cadete

Obv I was just trying to pick the positives out of a shit two weeks despite there not being many.

And u had to get stuck in - despite WB during my life time - losing two week in a row being fairly common thing.

You are still missing the point. The two are mutually exclusive.

Here: Let's say for argument sake we were talking about my hypothetical club, let's call them Club A. Irrespectve of Club A's form and overall success, if Player X from Club A has a fucking blinding game but Club A lose, at the end of the day what's the point? Player X (99% of the time) would rather he plays like a dog and the team wins. Individual efforts mean nothing in a sport like ours unless they are the sum parts of the club's success. I'm not saying as a fan of Club A I shouldn't be happy that player X is in form but it pales in comparison to the loss.

TLDR: I couldn't give a fuck if Liam Jones wins a coleman medal (hell would be rather frosty that day) if we don't win the flag that year :up:

Obv I was just trying to pick the positives out of a shit two weeks despite there not being many.

And u had to get stuck in - despite WB during my life time - losing two week in a row being fairly common thing.

You are still missing the point. The two are mutually exclusive.

Here: Let's say for argument sake we were talking about my hypothetical club, let's call them Club A. Irrespectve of Club A's form and overall success, if Player X from Club A has a fucking blinding game but Club A lose, at the end of the day what's the point? Player X (99% of the time) would rather he plays like a dog and the team wins. Individual efforts mean nothing in a sport like ours unless they are the sum parts of the club's success. I'm not saying as a fan of Club A I shouldn't be happy that player X is in form but it pales in comparison to the loss.

TLDR: I couldn't give a fuck if Liam Jones wins a coleman medal (hell would be rather frosty that day) if we don't win the flag that year :up:

As Chappy said after he won the Norm Smith Medal...

Its not like his going to get together every few years for beers with the other Norm Smith Medalists - Its only Team Glory that matters.

As a supporter of a fairly dismal team for the last 23 years there's nothing that irks me more than people who stick the boot into poor clubs because theirs is doing well. Maybe it's just banter and I'm a bitter kent.

You do it every second week with Port you stooge.

As a supporter of a fairly dismal team for the last 23 years there's nothing that irks me more than people who stick the boot into poor clubs because theirs is doing well. Maybe it's just banter and I'm a bitter kent.

Not my fault your team's shite ;)

Jks... Port have been highly successful in 1 out of the 4 years i've supported them, and I was mostly a bystander when they were undefeated.

Since then I've seen a losing GF, a losing semi and well this year we're doing ok but like all clubs they've been shit since I came along :P And I don't give stick to poor performing clubs hardly a fair comparison - only the AFL ones and they deserve it :D :D :D

Not my fault your team's shite ;)

Jks... Port have been highly successful in 1 out of the 4 years i've supported them, and I was mostly a bystander when they were undefeated.

Since then I've seen a losing GF, a losing semi and well this year we're doing ok but like all clubs they've been shit since I came along :P And I don't give stick to poor performing clubs hardly a fair comparison - only the AFL ones and they deserve it :D :D :D

This is true of Port fans... they always stick up for the other Stand Alone clubs with one obvious exception.

And in my time as we all know how many Grand Finals Port have lost - Including two to my fucken AFL team's reserves...

Really loving Freo's draw for the rest of the season. Top 2 not out of the question. Bring the haze!!!!!!!!!!

And bring on a coach who can win a Grand Final...

Got a feeling you're gonna eat those words late September this year.

I haven't in the four other Grand Finals he has coached in...

I would much prefer to have the coaches that the other three flag chances have in their boxes come Grand Final day.

Really loving Freo's draw for the rest of the season. Top 2 not out of the question. Bring the haze!!!!!!!!!!

And bring on a coach who can win a Grand Final... Got a feeling you're gonna eat those words late September this year.

I haven't in the four other Grand Finals he has coached in...

I would much prefer to have the coaches that the other three flag chances have in their boxes come Grand Final day.

Don't think he's particularly been out coached on any of those 4 occasions, could also argue he's had a worst list then his opposition on those days, just feel like these things have a way of evening themselves out over time. That being said though if he fails again in the big one this year I'll be happy to say he's a choker.

McPharLap & Johnson to come back in as well, and hopefully Walters as well before finals. Although with players coming back in you always have a couple of other key players who go out through injury as well.