Melbourne Football

AFL 2014 Season

toogood18

That 2 min when it was at 5 points with a couple mins more to go is what footy is all about.

Disappointing result and I reckon the pint I buy cadete will be the tastiest beer he will ever drink.

I don't think I've hated anymore in my life more than Hawkins but. Fucking germ

The 'don't pay it unless its 100% there' attitude from the umpires is fucking fantastic. It's making footy so much tougher and better to watch IMO

Strongly Disagree - Where is the award for tackling?

It almost makes me wonder if players should now try knock the ball out of opponents hands to advantage instead of tackle if they are not going to be awarded a free for holding the ball - as the ball can spill out from such a situation anywhere.

Dont mind umpires letting the play go on a bit more in general, but dropping the ball is dropping the ball...theres no way other way to interpret it. Definitely one of the more annoying sides of umpiring for me.

Oh and Game Day is the worst show.

Edited by hedaik

Dont mind umpires letting the play go on a bit more in general, but dropping the ball is dropping the ball...theres no way other way to interpret it. Definitely one of the more annoying sides of umpiring for me.

Oh and Game Day is the worst show.

Channel 7 needs to replace it's entire commentary team on Saturday nights...

BT, Richo and Luke Darcy are just plain shite.

Here's a question for you lot... Who would you back to win a flag first, GWS or GC?

GWS from what I've seen this season. Their improvement from 2nd to 3rd season has been much better than GC's plus they haven't had someone as good as Ablett to carry them. Their forward line will be extremely potent in 2-3 years with Cameron, Patton, Smith & Boyd.

Up the dogs! Richmond looking in trouble with hawthorn, brisbane, collingwood and geelong coming up in the next month.

Agree that it's looking pretty average but still think we should be ok for the 8 this year.

If we don't manage to find 2 wins out of those 4 games something's gonna need to be done. We've gone out and used our draft picks on either blokes that can find the footy and can't kick or guys that can kick but can't run and are lazy.

And sacking the coach is not the answer, gotta stick with him now or else I'll kill my self hearing another overpaid coach tell us about his fantastic 5 year plan :/

Here's a question for you lot... Who would you back to win a flag first, GWS or GC?

GWS. I think GC have a better midfield currently but not sure if Ablett will be at his peak when GC are up top, and GWS have enough forward stocks to trade for a gun midfielder when they need one.

It annoys me that the AFL can manipulate the competition and essentially hand these two teams grand final success. We got nothing when we entered the comp, and teams like Melbourne have suffered badly from losing so much talent to the two new teams.

Up the dogs! Richmond looking in trouble with hawthorn, brisbane, collingwood and geelong coming up in the next month.

Agree that it's looking pretty average but still think we should be ok for the 8 this year.

If we don't manage to find 2 wins out of those 4 games something's gonna need to be done. We've gone out and used our draft picks on either blokes that can find the footy and can't kick or guys that can kick but can't run and are lazy.

And sacking the coach is not the answer, gotta stick with him now or else I'll kill my self hearing another overpaid coach tell us about his fantastic 5 year plan :/

That is not your problem...

Dusty Martin holding the club to ransom until he got on $480k a year, Jack's sooking on field and Media Ban, putting up with Jake King's crap when he is a subpar player at best. 

None of that shit happens at places like Hawthorn, Geelong or Sydney... and when it does there are severe consquences.

That is not your problem...

Dusty Martin holding the club to ransom until he got on $480k a year, Jack's sooking on field and Media Ban, putting up with Jake King's crap when he is a subpar player at best. 

None of that shit happens at places like Hawthorn, Geelong or Sydney... and when it does there are severe consquences.

Dont forget also who brought the drug addict in to lead the kids after even West Coke had enough of him

Edited by hedaik

GWS. I think GC have a better midfield currently but not sure if Ablett will be at his peak when GC are up top, and GWS have enough forward stocks to trade for a gun midfielder when they need one.

It annoys me that the AFL can manipulate the competition and essentially hand these two teams grand final success. We got nothing when we entered the comp, and teams like Melbourne have suffered badly from losing so much talent to the two new teams.

I don't think we really would've benefited from that talent though. If anything our problem over the last 3-4 years has been a lack of experience since neitz/schwarz/a & j mcdonald retired/were forced out.

• Like 1

I don't think we really would've benefited from that talent though. If anything our problem over the last 3-4 years has been a lack of experience since neitz/schwarz/a & j mcdonald retired/were forced out.

Culling of experienced players who still had plenty to offer hurt us in the long run as much as the tanking debacle tbh. 

You'd kill for Cameron or Patton in your forward line.

yes perhaps at this point in time we would, but i don't think we HAD to, had green been given the required support (considering he was never THAT good), had clark stayed injury free, had hogan been a year older... so on and so forth.

i'm more stoked about having daniel cross to complement nate jones in the midfield than our ever revolving door of young small forwards...

edit: TL;DR and that post doesn't really make sense but i guess my point is that we shouldn't have needed patton or cameron if we'd recruited better, kept experienced players for just a little longer (think cam bruce in his first season at the hawks - should've stayed where he was) and stayed injury free (easy for any team to say) we wouldn't have needed those young guns. we kept trengove and lost scully - tbh it's probably the best decision we've ever made we just blew it.

Edited by theresonlyonebzamora

yes perhaps at this point in time we would, but i don't think we HAD to, had green been given the required support (considering he was never THAT good), had clark stayed injury free, had hogan been a year older... so on and so forth.

i'm more stoked about having daniel cross to complement nate jones in the midfield than our ever revolving door of young small forwards...

edit: TL;DR and that post doesn't really make sense but i guess my point is that we shouldn't have needed patton or cameron if we'd recruited better, kept experienced players for just a little longer (think cam bruce in his first season at the hawks - should've stayed where he was) and stayed injury free (easy for any team to say) we wouldn't have needed those young guns. we kept trengove and lost scully - tbh it's probably the best decision we've ever made we just blew it.

It would also help if you had a supporter base more inclined to heap more immediate pressure on the bad decision makers at the club...

Melbourne Fans always tend wait for the rot to really set in before getting annoyed from what I have seen in the past 35 years.

Lets face it the club has never picked itself up from when Carlton poached Ron Barassi for Cash signalling the start of the Wage Era of the 60's to the 80's... which destroyed Melbourne's system of poaching players by offering them White Collar Desk Jobs.

Cad - yep the first part i agree with. Obviously I don't know every single supporter but it is fairly true.

Second part, look I think they did pick themselves up for at least a while in the late 90's/early 00's. Even before that period the Northey era produced quite a few wins.

But in more recent years the early Balme yeards and of course Daniher was trying to implement a half decent game plan. Heck we made a GF only to lose to a lineup that was arguably the best the game had seen at the point. It's since he was forced out that we've never recovered.

Cad - yep the first part i agree with. Obviously I don't know every single supporter but it is fairly true.

Second part, look I think they did pick themselves up for at least a while in the late 90's/early 00's. Even before that period the Northey era produced quite a few wins.

But in more recent years the early Balme yeards and of course Daniher was trying to implement a half decent game plan. Heck we made a GF only to lose to a lineup that was arguably the best the game had seen at the point. It's since he was forced out that we've never recovered.

The problem with the Northery era (I am that old that I remember seeing us play Melbourne in the 1989 finals series), The Balme era and that 2000 Season was too many Melbourne fans only stayed around when it was finals time.

In the 1960 its been often written that Melbourne had even more supporters than Collingwood... I always wonder what the hell happened?

The problem with the Northery era (I am that old that I remember seeing us play Melbourne in the 1989 finals series), The Balme era and that 2000 Season was too many Melbourne fans only stayed around when it was finals time.

In the 1960 its been often written that Melbourne had even more supporters than Collingwood... I always wonder what the hell happened?

indeed that is all too often the case. numbers dwindle during the year then come finals time they increase. hence the long running snow jokes.

indeed that is all too often the case. numbers dwindle during the year then come finals time they increase. hence the long running snow jokes.

Not to mention little kids are often influenced by on field and their mates. There was a down right heartbreaking audio clip floating around last year of Dees fans calling up the radio, and one told a story of how his son had come up to him at the end of a game (the horror that was gc I believe) handed his dad his jersey and asked for a Richmond one. When his dad asked why, the kid replied "dad they don't even try". Say that happens a few dozen times each poor season, and over the generations the numbers will drop a fair bit.

On that though, one other story that really got to me was how someone was sitting near an old bloke at a game who, come half time, stood up, removed his Melbourne scarf and hat, put them on the seat and never came back.

Without wanting to seem overly dramatic, we need to start showing something really soon, or we just won't be around in a few years. Last year was lower than the merger era - keeping in mind in 1996, melbourne members voted in favour of merging, it was only that Hawthorn fans voted against it that allowed the two clubs to remain separate entities. In all honesty, I'd put money on our members voting to merge if the choice were presented again now.

• Like 1

Mitch Clark has retired. Really feel for the poor bloke.

Footy aside, it's pretty upsetting tbh, really feel sorry for him. Wish him all the best and hope he gets better.

As for footy, we have gone a step backwards again. One step forward, two steps back

Mitch Clark has retired. Really feel for the poor bloke.

Well at least the Dees have Dawes... :lowy:

Jokes aside, someone quitting football because of depression fucking sucks...

This.

The amount of insensitive comments I have seen regarding his retirement is making me so mad!

Edit: Unrelated to Cadete's comment. I know that was in jest.

Edited by Baresi
  • Like 1