Melbourne Football

The Paddy Kisnorbo thread

TheStig

14 hours ago, Jeremy Martins said:

Hell yeah the food is great in Troyes! It takes me a couple of days only to get 5 kilos easy when I’m back home! Darn the  food is good! 

PK wise, yep! The honey moon is long gone and now his speeches before/after games are totally inaudible! No one understand how it is possible for him to still be here! I had the chance to speak with an ESTAC legend recently who shared with me how unbelievably ugly the team became. He does not recognise how the club could lose its football in the space of a few months since PK arrived! 

It looks like things weren't going well before he arrived, isn't he the third coaching appointment of the season? It suggests poor recruiting or other off-field issues are likely

PK replaced Bruno Irles. BI was not loved at all and the football he played was not seducing. His persona never helped, he was arrogant, saying that he was the man of the situation, that players should not be given jam at breakfast… bla-bla-bla. He ended up being hated by the players and the supporters. Yet, he seemed to have a better tactical understanding of football on the pitch. His coaching were useful and he somewhat managed to get the best in some players (and vice versa). He needed to go. His firing was a good and welcomed thing. PK, no matter what is the outcome of the game, he does not make any tactical move. He remains in that stupid 5-2-3 formation giving no consistency to the midfield. He makes poor judgment on subs, if ever he makes a substitution. Indeed, he has some much issues with subs that if ever the rule would allow him to play with less than 11 players on the pitch, he would gladly put 9 of them on! 

12 hours ago, Jeremy Martins said:

PK replaced Bruno Irles. BI was not loved at all and the football he played was not seducing. His persona never helped, he was arrogant, saying that he was the man of the situation, that players should not be given jam at breakfast… bla-bla-bla. He ended up being hated by the players and the supporters. Yet, he seemed to have a better tactical understanding of football on the pitch. His coaching were useful and he somewhat managed to get the best in some players (and vice versa). He needed to go. His firing was a good and welcomed thing. PK, no matter what is the outcome of the game, he does not make any tactical move. He remains in that stupid 5-2-3 formation giving no consistency to the midfield. He makes poor judgment on subs, if ever he makes a substitution. Indeed, he has some much issues with subs that if ever the rule would allow him to play with less than 11 players on the pitch, he would gladly put 9 of them on! 

Not surprisingly Troyes were beaten at home 1-3 last night by PSG.

@Jeremy Martins I don't think any of us here ever understood what was going on in PK's mind regarding substitutions. His "Plan B" was to simply work harder at "Plan A" although I see he did make four subs last night. Rather like the horse "Boxer" in "Animal Farm" by George Orwell - Boxer's solution to everything was "I must work harder."

Edited by jw1739
  • Like 1

By my reckoning they are relegated to Ligue 2 - 12 points from safely and three matches left.

I feel for him. I expected him to struggle, but this is genuinely painful to watch now. I wonder what CFG will do? They are not known for being quick to sack coaches. 

Tbh looking at a few highlights and that's not a lot to go by, the team needs a major overhaul, he could do worse than getting a couple more A League lads in, he was put into a tough place player wise. Though it seems his subs policy hasn't changed and he is as rigid as ever.

32 minutes ago, Jovan said:

I would say a sensible approach by the club. Troyes already are in Ligue 2 next season, so no point in throwing the baby out with the bathwater at this point. If next season starts poorly and the Championnat National beckons, then probably they will change the tune, but stick with PK for now.

Look at Chelsea - three managers in one season and it hasn't done them any good.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Torn Asunder said:

He was doomed to fail because he's not a good coach.

Also, his style is not one suited to Europe  ... maybe the English 3rd division 

I wouldn't go that far. He has a clear vision for the team and, in the right environment, can successfully implement it and get results. It does require the players to all buy into that vision, something he needs at Troyes. He also needs the right coaching team that supports him in areas where he isn't strong, like tactical flexibility. My only concern will be the language issue and how that might affect his ability to get the players onside; I'm also alarmed by his waistline!

Ligue 2 will give him some time to implement this; the club recognises that staying in Ligue 1 is a different problem to solve from getting promoted to Ligue 1.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 04/06/2023 at 10:45 AM, jw1739 said:

PK led Troyes to a 1-1 draw at home last night to finish 19th out of 20 in Ligue 1. Interesting final day - Nantes won 1-0 at home to catapult themselves to safety in 16th place.

19th out of 20th.. FAARRRKK Look out!! He's ripping it up over there! 🙈🤣

• 3 months later...

Oh my god dear friends in Melbourne! What have we done wrong in Troyes to deserve the Kisnorbo, his Mexican army of useless assistants and the drive to hell as we know it these days! This topic is not very active for a while, so I’m not sure whether you have followed PK’s accomplishments… but I’d love to hear your thoughts! 
L’ES Troyes AC is dying everyday a bit more…

8 hours ago, Jeremy Martins said:

Oh my god dear friends in Melbourne! What have we done wrong in Troyes to deserve the Kisnorbo, his Mexican army of useless assistants and the drive to hell as we know it these days! This topic is not very active for a while, so I’m not sure whether you have followed PK’s accomplishments… but I’d love to hear your thoughts! 

We have been following his "achievements" and were wondering whether we could send you our current spud but we can't think of a reason as to why you would deserve that fate.

• Haha 1

12 hours ago, Jeremy Martins said:

@Jeremy Martins Hello Jeremy. We've been following PK, but it's drifted into the "Where are they now? thread. Actually, I have begun to feel sorry for him. It's clear that he's not the right man for the job at Troyes, whatever that was at the time, and that CFG made a mistake in the appointment.

I think some of us here are also starting to question the appointment of Rado Vidosic as his replacement, although it's probably too soon to make that judgment given the turnover in players that we have had.

CFG don't have a history of hasty sackings, but another season like last will see Troyes in the Championnat National and I doubt CFG would like that. I'd say Christmas will be D-Day.

3 hours ago, jw1739 said:

@belaguttman According to Transfermarkt, Erick Mombaerts is "Advisor" at Troyes.

https://www.ftbl.com.au/news/exclusive-kisnorbo-exits-a-league-leaders-for-top-flight-french-job-588085

The move will herald a reunion between Kisnorbo and his French mentor Erick Mombaerts, who is Troyes' technical director and a long-time proponent of his pupil's potential to coach in Europe.

On 27/09/2023 at 9:26 PM, Jeremy Martins said:

On 15/03/2023 at 12:16 AM, malloy said:

The above posters' views on PK seem to be a bit more favourable than my own. 

In my view PK is a tactically inept hack whose main coaching "quality" is being a hardass and berating players for being 3cm out of position. 

His tactical ineptness is most obvious when one of his teams is being absolutely outplayed. In such situations he appears unable to notice the tactical issue (blaming individual errors and lack of work rate) which results in him not making substitutes, or making like-for-like substitutes (such that you are relying on a moment of individual brilliance to get something from the game) or making subs so late thst the player has no time to make an impact.

A prime example of this is the GF against WU were it was obvious that things were not working and certain subs needed to be made. But he dragged his feet in making any unforced subs, eben though it was obvious Tillio needed to come on.

He also seems to detest young talented players.

Just reiterating.

• Like 2

I feel for PK, I can only blame the ones around him like CFG.

To me it was so obvious that the top 5 EU was a step too far. Successful in Australia with an inherent quality playing group and tactics already in place with the best resources at your disposal is like a warm bath.

Having said that, you need take these opportunities to test yourself. Perhaps stay in EU but at assistant level?

6 hours ago, Jeremy Martins said:

According to L’Est-Eclair, our local newspaper, PK will be fired after Saturday’s game… apparently CFG has finally realised he was not the man of the situation! 

I don’t think this was answered but how the recruiting done at off-season, was there any money spend? Did he recruit his own players?

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, malloy said:

Just reiterating.

@malloy I feel that with Rado we are seeing all over again what you originally posted about PK. I've never understood the no-sub policy - with defenders yes, it's often used as a time-wasting tactic near the end of a game, but if it's goals that you need you and make change(s) up front I thought it was pretty much coaching lore that you needed to give the substitute at least 20 minutes. Yes, there are the miracle subs (e.g. Max Caputo once for us) but that doesn't happen too often. Not only that, the "permanent" bench players get pissed off and it's not surprising that they want to leave.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, jw1739 said:

@malloy I feel that with Rado we are seeing all over again what you originally posted about PK. I've never understood the no-sub policy - with defenders yes, it's often used as a time-wasting tactic near the end of a game, but if it's goals that you need you and make change(s) up front I thought it was pretty much coaching lore that you needed to give the substitute at least 20 minutes. Yes, there are the miracle subs (e.g. Max Caputo once for us) but that doesn't happen too often. Not only that, the "permanent" bench players get pissed off and it's not surprising that they want to leave.

With Rado, I feel his style of coaching/play is not suited to a JMac style striker (or the rest of the makeup of the squad for that matter), so I don't feel we are necessarily getting the best out of the team as a whole or truly seeing Rado's capability. Given who we are owned by, I don't see our attempted style of play changing either, so I don't think its necessarily a case of Rado radically changing the tactics to suit JMac. That being said I am not sold on Rado, but similarly I am not yet ready to put him in the same category as PK (though PK may yet continue to develop as a coach and improve).

3 hours ago, Zanty said:

I feel like I can see PK coming back if Rado doesn't work out but personally would love Des Buckingham back

I can't believe PK can come back and replace Rado. That would mean CFG admitting two mistakes. Des Buckingham perhaps - he's been reasonable at Mumbai.

Always amazes me that CFG haven't got a reservoir of Assistant Coaches ready for a top job.

9 minutes ago, malloy said:

With Rado, I feel his style of coaching/play is not suited to a JMac style striker (or the rest of the makeup of the squad for that matter), so I don't feel we are necessarily getting the best out of the team as a whole or truly seeing Rado's capability. Given who we are owned by, I don't see our attempted style of play changing either, so I don't think its necessarily a case of Rado radically changing the tactics to suit JMac. That being said I am not sold on Rado, but similarly I am not yet ready to put him in the same category as PK (though PK may yet continue to develop as a coach and improve).

Good point. IMO we need a CF who will drift right or left - probably left - and JMac does not do this. (No criticism of him BTW.) If the CF drifts left then if a defender does not go with him then there is overload on the left, and if the defender does go left then there's space on the right. I'm not suggesting that we're anywhere near an EPL side but Arsenal do this - Jesus will pull the defence to the left leaving Saka plenty of space on the right. Liverpool do it, leaving space for Salah on the right. We're not creating space in front of goal.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jw1739 said:

Good point. IMO we need a CF who will drift right or left - probably left - and JMac does not do this. (No criticism of him BTW.) If the CF drifts left then if a defender does not go with him then there is overload on the left, and if the defender does go left then there's space on the right. I'm not suggesting that we're anywhere near an EPL side but Arsenal do this - Jesus will pull the defence to the left leaving Saka plenty of space on the right. Liverpool do it, leaving space for Salah on the right. We're not creating space in front of goal.

Jakolis has played as a CF before, feel like he could do that role well