Melbourne Football

The Paddy Kisnorbo thread

TheStig

• 1 month later...
2 hours ago, citypool said:

Troyes getting dominated but so far only down 1-0 match is on beIN connect 

Lost 0-2 to Marseille. Used the standard two subs.

Also beaten 2-0 by Lille on 9th January in the Coupe de France.

Edited by jw1739

40 minutes ago, Mr MO said:

They better start winning as I don’t want CFG to send him back.

They are 13th in the 20-club league. Four points above Brest, who are 17th. It's a tough league, because the bottom four are relegated (17th to 20th). Given that only the top two from Ligue 2 are going to be promoted, it looks as though Ligue 1 is being reduced to 18 clubs for next season.

1 hour ago, jw1739 said:

They are 13th in the 20-club league. Four points above Brest, who are 17th. It's a tough league, because the bottom four are relegated (17th to 20th). Given that only the top two from Ligue 2 are going to be promoted, it looks as though Ligue 1 is being reduced to 18 clubs for next season.

Yes looks to be the case. Next season 18 teams in league 1 and league 2. Due to mostly financial implications suffered during cv19 and loss of major TV partner... 

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
2 hours ago, MHFC-FAN said:

To say PK is out of his depth in France would be putting it nicely. Troyes have now lost 5 games straight and only picked up 1 point in the last 8 games. Overnight they lost to the team that was below them in the relegation zone... 

Troyes are now 19th in a 20-club league. Not looking good.

Whatever people think of him, I have a bit if sympathy for patty k.

He's essentially been thrown to the wolves, parachuted into a failing club in a last ditch effort to try and save them from relegation.  It's not like it's a squad he's picked out himself has failed due to his rigid tactics.

He should've gone to an easier league or at least gone somewhere where he could've had a full preseason with a club and then go from there. What he is gaining out of this experience, inheriting a team that not even sir alex Ferguson himself could save, I do not know.

• Like 3

A simple observation is that only Ange P has made something of a career in Europe. Popovic, Muscat went straight into bigger leagues and flopped. Arnold went to Japan and flopped whereas Muscat took over from Ange (having previously worked for Ange at MVC) and has been successful. Me thinks that it may be better for Australian coaches to climb the ladder rung by rung.

5 hours ago, kingofhearts said:

Whatever people think of him, I have a bit if sympathy for patty k.

He's essentially been thrown to the wolves, parachuted into a failing club in a last ditch effort to try and save them from relegation.  It's not like it's a squad he's picked out himself has failed due to his rigid tactics.

He should've gone to an easier league or at least gone somewhere where he could've had a full preseason with a club and then go from there. What he is gaining out of this experience, inheriting a team that not even sir alex Ferguson himself could save, I do not know.

He did win the double with an inherent squad!!!

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, heart1011 said:

It will be very interesting to see if he is able to keep them in Ligue 1 or not.. Not sure how much truth there is to it but apparently O'Neil going there depends on whether they get relegated or not and if they do whether PK will keep his job...

Statistically it's not looking good to survive in League 1. Since PK took over he's had 1 win 3 draws and 9 losses! 

I think Troyes are in free fall and PK doesn't have enough parachutes at this stage... 

Hi Melbourne City fans,

I am Jeremy, a lifelong fan of ES Troyes AC. Recently, CFG decided to send PK to coach our team. 
The first impressions we had through videos and his charisma, made us feel like he would be the perfect coach. We thought it would be a remake of “Band of Brothers” in the locker with a team United and all going to fight for one another. 
If ever you are following our games (and I’m sorry about that), we are the crappiest team in the world! There is no strategy, no technical plan and the team seems to be sooo lost! 
With your experience of PK, what do you think is happening? Can it get better? 
Thanks lads! 

4 hours ago, Jeremy Martins said:

Hi Melbourne City fans,

I am Jeremy, a lifelong fan of ES Troyes AC. Recently, CFG decided to send PK to coach our team. 
The first impressions we had through videos and his charisma, made us feel like he would be the perfect coach. We thought it would be a remake of “Band of Brothers” in the locker with a team United and all going to fight for one another. 
If ever you are following our games (and I’m sorry about that), we are the crappiest team in the world! There is no strategy, no technical plan and the team seems to be sooo lost! 
Thanks lads! 

G'day Jeremy! Hope you are well!

Yeah PK has his set style of playing and doesn't seem to deviate away from that unfortunately. You have to look at it in the sense that he has come to a team where he has had no say in which players there are etc and hasn't been able to go through a transfer window as yet. He seems to have his set players he will play and also seems reluctant at times to make subs which baffles me.. there were times where we would have players who you could see where absolutely spent but he kept them on the pitch until the final whistle was blown. Do I believe he is a good coach? 110 percent I do but that is with his players and his style of play. Hopefully in the transfer window and providing they don't get relegated he will be able to bring in some good players and see the club moving forward. Hope this helps a little!

5 hours ago, Jeremy Martins said:

Hi Melbourne City fans,

Thanks lads! 

@Jeremy MartinsBonjour Jeremy. Welcome to the Forum.

PK wants a set style of play and he is not flexible in that approach. It's a high intensity, high fitness approach. When he was appointed to Troyes I was not confident that he was going to be a good match with French football, especially with a team that was already struggling. I don't think his management style - which you will have already seen with his antics on the touchline - suits players who may have lost confidence. @heart1011 has already touched on his curious approach to substitutes.

In terms of PK's move to Troyes I think CFG looked too much at the results, and not enough at how they were achieved. It's true that PK delivered us trophies, but I put much of that success with the men's team down to our Assistant Coach Des Buckingham (now with Mumbai City) who I think had a special rapport with our younger players, and earlier with the women's team down to Jess Fishlock who was with us at the time.

It's hard to predict what's going to happen. Hopefully for you and the other Troyes fans the club can turn it around and can escape Ligue 2, and you can rebuild with new signings. Angers look doomed already, and it looks to me that you are one of five clubs trying to avoid the drop.

Irrespective of that, good to have you on the Forum. Please stay and give us some insights into French football. Denis Genreau, another City "old boy" now plays for Toulouse. Classy player who was very popular with City fans.

• Like 1

Welcome Jeremy, the only thing to add is that when PK started his first season with the City men's team, they played really poorly for the first 5 games. In part, that was because the team had worked very hard during pre-season and were fatigued; this paid off for them later in the season when the team could continue the high-intensity game for 90 minutes, and other teams would drop off their intensity. The other reason was that it just took time for the patterns of play to become natural for the players; there's little space for individual initiative in PK's style of play. I'm not sure about his coaching staff at Troyes, but teaching this through an interpreter will be even more difficult.

I do agree with you about Troyes performances, I've been watching the match highlights and it has looked very concerning: disorganised, shapeless, very different from the way that we play.

Well well!!! Thanks to all of you dear Aussie friends! I can tell you right now that PK is an enigma to us all! 
I can speak for all my fellow Troyes Fans and say that never a Troyes team has played that bad in Ligue 1, ever! There is absolutely no intensity, no aggressive play, no willingness to play the offensive. If I can use a métaphore, our team is like a kid being bullied at all time, who, instead of showing his fists, gets fisted (in every sense of the way…). Our team nowadays is the official carpet of the league! Every team we play can wipe themselves on us! Our play is so stereotypical that any coach with a bit of football sense can use against us to score! Edouard Cissé, former French professional player, and now commentator was saying on Amazon Prime during the last game: “since PK’s arrival, watching Troyes play, is like watching an episode of Colombo (with Peter Falk), at the beginning of the play, you already know how it’s gonna end!”. And at the end, the PK’s Troyes loses again and again! 
As you’ve been very welcoming, please feel free to pay a look at our own forum, with a subject on PK, as follow:

https://www.estacweb.com/viewtopic.php?p=479412#p479412

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jeremy Martins said:

Well well!!! Thanks to all of you dear Aussie friends! I can tell you right now that PK is an enigma to us all! 
I can speak for all my fellow Troyes Fans and say that never a Troyes team has played that bad in Ligue 1, ever! There is absolutely no intensity, no aggressive play, no willingness to play the offensive. If I can use a métaphore, our team is like a kid being bullied at all time, who, instead of showing his fists, gets fisted (in every sense of the way…). Our team nowadays is the official carpet of the league! Every team we play can wipe themselves on us! Our play is so stereotypical that any coach with a bit of football sense can use against us to score! Edouard Cissé, former French professional player, and now commentator was saying on Amazon Prime during the last game: “since PK’s arrival, watching Troyes play, is like watching an episode of Colombo (with Peter Falk), at the beginning of the play, you already know how it’s gonna end!”. And at the end, the PK’s Troyes loses again and again! 
As you’ve been very welcoming, please feel free to pay a look at our own forum, with a subject on PK, as follow:

https://www.estacweb.com/viewtopic.php?p=479412#p479412

This makes for very entertaining reading 🤣🤣🤣🤣

Never a fan of PK myself (as this forum would show) but I believe that the reason for Melbourne City success was Erik Mombaerts (whom I believe is also at Troyes). Erik created the core of the squad and built a team spirit. Unfortunately Erik had to return to France and so his assistant PK took over. With Buckingham by his side and still being mentored by Erik, the club has found success.

By the sound of things PK has lost the players and his limitations are being rudely exposed.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Unfortunately my French is minimal, but there are some interesting comments on the Troyes Forum given to us by @Jeremy Martins. Heavy use of Google Translate, but I found this one interesting:

"Quick summary of the current technical staff:

Patrick Kisnorbo: the overrated CFG. Former of Melbourne, club where City tumbles with its millions in one of the most broken championships of this earth. Even Mombaerts succeeded in this.

Ralph Napoli: graduate in "sports sciences". Concretely, the guy is just good at doing knee raises but he is assistant head coach without touching a ball in tactics. Achievements: sent his father to prison (rightly, it's true: lol:).

Peter Van der Veen: just coached the Netherlands U17s and Lommel SK...

All supported by two bullshit video analysts who are unable to see anything.

Common point between all these painters: none speaks French.
Where are the intensive PK courses? Currently he is learning the language as fast as Palmer-Brown
"

(Palmer-Brown is an American playing for Troyes.) Interesting, indeed, that none of the senior coaching staff speak French. Recipe for disaster.

4 hours ago, NewConvert said:

Never a fan of PK myself (as this forum would show) but I believe that the reason for Melbourne City success was Erik Mombaerts (whom I believe is also at Troyes). Erik created the core of the squad and built a team spirit. Unfortunately Erik had to return to France and so his assistant PK took over. With Buckingham by his side and still being mentored by Erik, the club has found success.

By the sound of things PK has lost the players and his limitations are being 

100%

Was never going to end well, bully and shirt fronting coaches don’t work in more sophisticated leagues especially if you are lacking tactics. That’s not to say good coaches can’t get angry.

PK, great player and club captain, I’m grateful he’s continued the good work for us but ultimately the cracks started to appear to longer he was on his own.

It was always very difficult for PK to communicate and articulate properly, I feel for him being in a foreign country where a big majority doesn’t speak English.

17 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

Unfortunately my French is minimal, but there are some interesting comments on the Troyes Forum given to us by @Jeremy Martins. Heavy use of Google Translate, but I found this one interesting:

"Quick summary of the current technical staff:

Patrick Kisnorbo: the overrated CFG. Former of Melbourne, club where City tumbles with its millions in one of the most broken championships of this earth. Even Mombaerts succeeded in this.

Ralph Napoli: graduate in "sports sciences". Concretely, the guy is just good at doing knee raises but he is assistant head coach without touching a ball in tactics. Achievements: sent his father to prison (rightly, it's true: lol:).

Peter Van der Veen: just coached the Netherlands U17s and Lommel SK...

All supported by two bullshit video analysts who are unable to see anything.

Common point between all these painters: none speaks French.
Where are the intensive PK courses? Currently he is learning the language as fast as Palmer-Brown
"

(Palmer-Brown is an American playing for Troyes.) Interesting, indeed, that none of the senior coaching staff speak French. Recipe for disaster.

Very odd that indeed there’s nobody local among the support staff.

5 hours ago, Mr MO said:

100%

Was never going to end well, bully and shirt fronting coaches don’t work in more sophisticated leagues especially if you are lacking tactics. That’s not to say good coaches can’t get angry.

PK, great player and club captain, I’m grateful he’s continued the good work for us but ultimately the cracks started to appear to longer he was on his own.

It was always very difficult for PK to communicate and articulate properly, I feel for him being in a foreign country where a big majority doesn’t speak English.

Very odd that indeed there’s nobody local among the support staff.

Sir Alex Ferguson may beg to differ.

PK could barely speak English let alone another language.