Melbourne Football

The Paddy Kisnorbo thread

TheStig

30 minutes ago, fensaddler said:

I'll eat humble pie. I didn't think we'd start well. But we look the goods. We're tactically getting it right, and good to watch. We look the pick of every squad in the league and we have a well balanced, talented squad. 

As well as we have started I think we will have a better indication of where we are at after round 9

• Like 1

Hey we all love winning, so I'm sitting here in my quiet corner dreaming about the great heights we can go long term with a better coach.

I still see a lot of the same coach on the sideline and press conferences. I've stated before that only the new decent imports can lift this squad and that is exactly what is happening, so kodus to PK for playing them. 

I read an article the other day about how Pep rolled out plan B against Brighton the other week to turn the game around. 

I've accepted that he will just sit out his contract, fair enough I guess.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Mr MO said:

Hey we all love winning, so I'm sitting here in my quiet corner dreaming about the great heights we can go long term with a better coach.

I still see a lot of the same coach on the sideline and press conferences. I've stated before that only the new decent imports can lift this squad and that is exactly what is happening, so kodus to PK for playing them. 

I read an article the other day about how Pep rolled out plan B against Brighton the other week to turn the game around. 

I've accepted that he will just sit out his contract, fair enough I guess.

As you say, where you sit in relation to this particular fence is determined by whether you are content with winning or want to see the club aspire to greater heights in all respects.

1 hour ago, jw1739 said:

As you say, where you sit in relation to this particular fence is determined by whether you are content with winning or want to see the club aspire to greater heights in all respects.

Yep.

Boldly speaking and this won’t come as a surprise for my forum friends; I’m still of the opinion that many coaches can achieve similar results with our resources at their disposal and I don’t see PK as the right person to spearhead our academy and first team long term. 

Edited by Mr MO
  • Like 4

9 hours ago, malloy said:

Its because he is in articulate, hence the yelling from the sidelines all the time..

And then the “you know” at the pressers, which is something you can work on I guess.

Great watching though.

Hasn’t convinced me and at times felt like I was watching a boxing or UFC coach at work.

• Like 2

I watched most of it, and enjoyed getting a different perspective on City, but gave up towards the end because I'd had enough. It doesn't change my opinion of him as a coach - rather it reinforces it. No-one should have to go to work every day and listen to their boss screaming at them like that - none of us would tolerate it and neither should a professional footballer have to do so.

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, Jovan said:

Wow, I thought it was superb. 

Negative posts seem to me to based on people's already fixed opinions and regardless of what he does or doesn't do won't change. 

My opinion on him is that he did an exceptional job season 1, season 2 he lost his way. Now, based on preseason and 3 games he seems to reflected on his and teams issues and has changed. 

Another point which I think is a little unfair being articulate does not always indicate intelligence. I think PK understands the game and potentially could be a great manager but agree his delivery and communication is limited. 

As any coach we've had and any future they will always divide opinion and ultimately can only be judged on results, points won/lost, finals won, players developed and ascetic style.

Well said.

1 hour ago, jw1739 said:

I watched most of it, and enjoyed getting a different perspective on City, but gave up towards the end because I'd had enough. It doesn't change my opinion of him as a coach - rather it reinforces it. No-one should have to go to work every day and listen to their boss screaming at them like that - none of us would tolerate it and neither should a professional footballer have to do so.

The managent style will just not appeal everybody. It leans towards coaching by intimidation rather then motivation or inspiration. This was also the biggest issue when he was an academy coach.

Was fantastic watching.  

Very interesting to contrast the clear differences in cultures between clubs when comparing the first 3 episodes.  From episode 1, you can see why Popovic is highly rated.  Warren Moon's style is very casual and it was fascinating to see Charlie Austin's blow up against Connor Chapman - there was no way they were coming back from that against us in round 2. 

On PK, its pretty clear now to see why some players wont gel with his style, and get seemingly frozen out.  His style is probably akin to Alex Ferguson ... this is a summary of Ferguson's style 

" Alex Ferguson leadership style is said to be tough, aggressive and loyal with high ethical standards and commitment toward and from the players. Many of his players highly regarded him and considered him as a disciplinarian with a hard character and a stubborn man."

If anything, this little doco will be invaluable for future signings whilst PK is in charge.  If you think about it, when a potential import player hears about Melbourne City and what the club is about, it would sound like a promising prospect ... but in reality, if a player rocks up and cannot accept PK's style, its gonna be a horror show. 

With a manager this intense, the players signed need to be comfortable with his approach upfront ... and now at least they can see it up close and personal ... players that respond to this style will do very well (like Berisha who seems pretty intense).

Sort of explains why Noone, Jenkins, hightailed out of here at the first chance, and why the Italian guy got close to no minutes ...

I'm happy with how we have improved this year so far.  If PK can keep this up, even with his intense style, then all good for me.

I do tend to agree with @jw1739 ... at certain times, it would not be a fun place to work!  

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Torn Asunder said:

Was fantastic watching.  

Very interesting to contrast the clear differences in cultures between clubs when comparing the first 3 episodes.  From episode 1, you can see why Popovic is highly rated.  Warren Moon's style is very casual and it was fascinating to see Charlie Austin's blow up against Connor Chapman - there was no way they were coming back from that against us in round 2. 

On PK, its pretty clear now to see why some players wont gel with his style, and get seemingly frozen out.  His style is probably akin to Alex Ferguson ... this is a summary of Ferguson's style 

" Alex Ferguson leadership style is said to be tough, aggressive and loyal with high ethical standards and commitment toward and from the players. Many of his players highly regarded him and considered him as a disciplinarian with a hard character and a stubborn man."

If anything, this little doco will be invaluable for future signings whilst PK is in charge.  If you think about it, when a potential import player hears about Melbourne City and what the club is about, it would sound like a promising prospect ... but in reality, if a player rocks up and cannot accept PK's style, its gonna be a horror show. 

With a manager this intense, the players signed need to be comfortable with his approach upfront ... and now at least they can see it up close and personal ... players that respond to this style will do very well (like Berisha who seems pretty intense).

Sort of explains why Noone, Jenkins, hightailed out of here at the first chance, and why the Italian guy got close to no minutes ...

I'm happy with how we have improved this year so far.  If PK can keep this up, even with his intense style, then all good for me.

I do tend to agree with @jw1739 ... at certain times, it would not be a fun place to work!  

I thought Noone was not offered another contract because Leckie was coming to town.

2 hours ago, bt50 said:

He was offered a reasonable contract as far as i know, but he had a significantly better offer on the table from the Bulls and took it.

I was under the impression Noone wanted 2 years, we only offered 1 (with good terms),so Noone took the 2 year deal up north.

On 01/11/2022 at 4:43 PM, Zanty said:

still not convinced by PK?

Absolutely not.

I might reconsider when I see a coach and not a side line bully. When we see happy players again, players who understand their coach. Or if the half time so called pep talks don’t result in constant 2nd half poor performances.

Any coach can win with our resources and players but not all can bring this club to the level it strives to be.

Edited by Mr MO
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

8 minutes ago, Mr MO said:

Absolutely not.

I might reconsider when I see a coach and not a side line bully. When we see happy players again, players who understand their coach. Or if the half time so called pep talks don’t result in constant 2nd poor performances.

Any coach can win with our resources and players but not all can bring this club to the level it strives to be.

I agree with some of your thoughts on PK. His sideline behaviour is deplorable and i cannot stand the way he communicates.

However, i hear you continually criticise him for 'losing the dressing room' or 'unhappy players' and i must admit i have no idea where you get this belief from. 

He's a shit coach but i reckon the thought he's lost the dressing room is more reflective of your opinion on him rather than actual fact.

6 minutes ago, rass said:

I agree with some of your thoughts on PK. His sideline behaviour is deplorable and i cannot stand the way he communicates.

However, i hear you continually criticise him for 'losing the dressing room' or 'unhappy players' and i must admit i have no idea where you get this belief from. 

He's a shit coach but i reckon the thought he's lost the dressing room is more reflective of your opinion on him rather than actual fact.

I'm actually surprised that PK gets away with being outside his technical area frequently during a match. He's frequently almost on the touchline itself. Needs to be carded regularly and then he might start to change.

There's a video on Youtube https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xMfCzYKSaI8 showing Guardiola's behaviour in the dressing room - much like PK's. What interested me in watching the first part is the looks on the players' faces. I'm not sure that they really listen - it's more like "Here we go again - who's going to get a bucketful this time around?" I guess that when you're on the sort of contract that they are you don't really care too much what the coach says.

I'd dearly love to know what City players really think of PK, but of course we'll never know. I used to be 6 rows back from the Heart bench when JvS was coach - I don't think I could stand being in the same place with PK! 

2 hours ago, rass said:

Yes spot on Rass.

I do not claim to have any inside knowledge of such. Losing the dressing room is an exaggeration of me of course as it takes the majority of the players to stand up, however signs of coach fatigue are present in my opinion.

My opinion is based on what I see and hear with my own eyes and ears. Every game I sit along the line, very close to the action, there’s a fair few unhappy and frustrated heads running around for the last 2 seasons. Body language says a lot as well if a team is in good spirits.

Edited by Mr MO
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, bellydrum said:

Pure fantasy some of the stuff written here. On a football forum you expect some armchair tacticians, but now we have body-language experts and psychologists.

Heart fans have always been an eclectic bunch. It's what defines us.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, bellydrum said:

Pure fantasy some of the stuff written here. On a football forum you expect some armchair tacticians, but now we have body-language experts and psychologists.

As for Ufuk, the bloke is just as bad as PK if not worse on the sidelines.

So who you rate as a good a league manager? I though ufuk has done ok for Wellington considering the limited resources they had over covid 

I am  not in PK's corner but I think that he is an average coach with some excellent players for the A-League and great resources. I note that in the All Access video he claims to be a young coach - which he is - but I wonder whether he actually learns anything. I don't know whether the City Group has an education program for coaches that includes people management, media training and in PK's case elocution training.

We are just past round 4 and the start is great. We have noticed that the team tends to fade in the second half and that there are a lot soft tissue injuries from pre-season. These are legitimate concerns. Then as the season progresses players will be worked out by opposition teams, tactics will be worked out and team dynamics will be worked out. I presume that PK is doing the same although his comments that we need to try harder suggests not.

As for player's attitude, remember Nabbout's first season? He was always smiling on the pitch? he really seemed to be enjoying himself. Then go back to last season and the first three rounds of this season. Notice the difference?

• Like 2

I'd be more concerned if Nabbout was smiling now. 

Bloke has lost his starting spot.

I call BS on PK has lost lost the players, infact I'd be leaning towards the complete opposite. 

This season will determine if he is a decent coach, results, points and finals won. Player improvements. Style on the eye. IMO if he delivers on most of these he must be considered a good coach. How he carries on during games, and press conferences for me are of low importance, not zero, but very low.

• Like 6

20 hours ago, citypool said:

So who you rate as a good a league manager? I though ufuk has done ok for Wellington considering the limited resources they had over covid 

I agree that he's a good a-league manager; the nix is a tough gig imo. He is a pork-chop on the sidelines though, and that seems to be a red-flag for a number of posters here.

I'm interested to see how Papas goes at the Jets this year. When they were on last season it was a joy to watch.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, bellydrum said:

I agree that he's a good a-league manager; the nix is a tough gig imo. He is a pork-chop on the sidelines though, and that seems to be a red-flag for a number of posters here.

I'm interested to see how Papas goes at the Jets this year. When they were on last season it was a joy to watch.

He's made 3 subs at all once, changed tactics to get his team back into the game. I don't mind a certain level of line sideline antics (or passion) if you show that you have a plan and if the shouting makes sense to the players or motivates them. Simone style or Gombau was another one who did that alot. Whatever he’s doing it certainly works for the Phoenix considering the small budget and we always struggle in field play against them.

Edited by Mr MO

Just watched his episode of All Access. 

Man he is the exact type of coach I hated when i played football. I mean he seems fairly switched on tactically but i despised the whole "show me you want it" kind of bullshit, and the bit where he goes round the circle at halftime and asks players "are you gonna let their full back dominate you?" was vomit inducing. 

Hasn't really changed my view of him, and he is clearly still getting results, but should be compulsory viewing for anyone considering signing for us. While it might turn some good prospects away it might also save us a Pucciarelli type if they see that and go "yeah he's not for me". 

• Like 2

• jw1739 changed the title to The Paddy Kisnorbo thread