Melbourne Football

The Paddy Kisnorbo thread

TheStig

guillotines-lg-56a9a2705f9b58b7d0fd8ec2.

I note the obligatory Sack <insert name of manager here> thread has not yet been started.

Whilst we are nowhere near Victory levels of perfotmance nonetheless it is prudent to start the knife sharpening and idle speculation as to whom we might replace Paddy with. 

Get Mombaerts back perhaps? 

Edited by jw1739
chop chop chop

• 3 weeks later...

I favor hiring Gus Hiddink. According to Wikipedia he is coaching Curacao at the moment. I suspect he would prefer a gig coaching in Australia. He would certainly raise expectations. Also, I think we may still have a supply of frozen raw herring left over from the JVS days. 

Edited by TheStig

1 hour ago, Tommykins said:

I'd say the two Popovic lads will certainly be out the door and I'd be worried if I was Jurman, Izzo or Brilliante.

That might be the case because Lucy Zelic said this on twitter: "Hearing rumours that the Greek players allegedly refused to play for Popa, giving Papas no choice but to let him go. Unfortunate situation all around - we want our Aussies abroad to thrive. What does that mean for Brillante, Jurman, Izzo, Elliot and Popa's sons now?"

12 minutes ago, Tony999 said:

That might be the case because Lucy Zelic said this on twitter: "Hearing rumours that the Greek players allegedly refused to play for Popa, giving Papas no choice but to let him go. Unfortunate situation all around - we want our Aussies abroad to thrive. What does that mean for Brillante, Jurman, Izzo, Elliot and Popa's sons now?"

I didnt know South got accepted into the Greek 2nd Div?

• 1 year later...
3 hours ago, jw1739 said:

He won't be sacked. It's not the "City way." Stick to the plan and just work harder at it.

This isnt directed at you jw, but I just want to make a comment because it your post touches on something thats on my mind.  I like that the club has an identity and way of playing. I've seen a number of comments saying how United stuck with their plan all season. Well so do we. I don't see any point glorifying Westerns season just because they won last night. They also ended up third on the ladder as well and dropped off completely at the end of the season. 

So it doesnt mean the plan is wrong. I'd wager our plan this season was very similar if not the same as last season. But how the plan is managed needs improvement, which can come in many forms. 

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, n i k o said:

This isnt directed at you jw, but I just want to make a comment because it your post touches on something thats on my mind.  I like that the club has an identity and way of playing. I've seen a number of comments saying how United stuck with their plan all season. Well so do we. I don't see any point glorifying Westerns season just because they won last night. They also ended up third on the ladder as well and dropped off completely at the end of the season. 

So it doesnt mean the plan is wrong. I'd wager our plan this season was very similar if not the same as last season. But how the plan is managed needs improvement, which can come in many forms. 

Agreed and what has been mentioned in this forum numerous times is that throughout the season the bench isn't used often enough and there was no player management to enable the team to play in the domestic league and in the ACL

• Like 1

On 29/5/2022 at 11:19 AM, n i k o said:

Park the bus as WU does is much easier to execute and at least JA has acknowledged this and build a strategy around the squad limitations. They also used the full squad and salary cap.

There is nothing wrong with ''stick to the plan'' of course, its all about how to deal with situations when your plan is not working, it just hasn't clicked going forward all season.

Our playing plan relies heavily on our recruitment and the type of players we have on the books, that's where we just have it wrong. JMAC is not a possesion play striker, Jenkinson is not an on the ball type of full back. Combine that with 2 failed visas and one of the highest paid squad spots results in being no better than any other top team in this league. Berenguer getting injured as he wasn't managed due to not having the trust in back up players in midfield (Last season - Luna, Berenguer and Metcalf constantly rotated).

The list goes on.....it's fair to demand better from a club with our resources.

Edited by Mr MO
  • Like 6

On having a plan, one (of several) issues, is that our plan has just become too predictable. It’s all well and good playing possession based football, but we NEVER move the ball quickly. We ALWAYS give the opposition time to get back in numbers. 

I particularly noticed last night that when Leckie was in possession, Jamieson always went inside him which seemed to choke up the middle. He never overlapped on the outside to add width. I just think we played into Western United’s approach far too much and once they got ahead it wasn’t really in doubt.

I think Western deserve significant credit, but we were not a champion side last night. There isn’t tactical flexibility or innovation and I don’t think that PK is the person who is going to be able to provide that.

I actually worry for creative players coming to City because I think ‘our plan’ seems to stifle their creativity. 

• Like 4

25 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

I don't mind at all if it is directed at me. This is as far as possible an open Forum, and I actually think that this season, and changes to the squad during the off-season ahead should be discussed and debated at quite some length.

I guess all clubs have plans based on their resources. IMO though, all plans have to include a Plan B, otherwise you find yourself in a "First Day of the Somme" situation, relentlessly following a plan even though it is manifestly failing (and on the Somme dreadful and inconceivable loss of life).

Just focussing on the game plan for the moment, our game plan delivered a Premiership, and with it ACL football again next time around. Very good. It didn't deliver in the FFA Cup, the Group stage in Thailand, and now the Finals Series back here at home. All these were, if you like, short forms of competition. In such competitions there's basically no second chance - you don't play a weak team the next week and get three points that way.

I think that this season we have been very inflexible in our starting line-ups, and apparently unwilling to make substitutions and positional changes when that line-up doesn't deliver. At the 60-minute mark yesterday we were 2-0 down, and not looking like scoring. I cannot see any logical reason why we didn't, say, move Leckie to the centre, bring on Cola on the right wing, Tilio on the left, Bos as a left wing-back, and try and win the game. One goal and the pro-City crowd would have lifted and maybe we could have brought City home on the day. Why not go for it? It didn't matter if it didn't work, because we'd already lost the match as it stood. And there was no second leg, no catch-up match next week, no second chance.

There's nothing wrong with having a game plan, but you have to be prepared to be flexible when it's not delivering. And Kisnorbo is not sufficiently flexible.

25 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

I don't mind at all if it is directed at me. This is as far as possible an open Forum, and I actually think that this season, and changes to the squad during the off-season ahead should be discussed and debated at quite some length.

I guess all clubs have plans based on their resources. IMO though, all plans have to include a Plan B, otherwise you find yourself in a "First Day of the Somme" situation, relentlessly following a plan even though it is manifestly failing (and on the Somme dreadful and inconceivable loss of life).

Just focussing on the game plan for the moment, our game plan delivered a Premiership, and with it ACL football again next time around. Very good. It didn't deliver in the FFA Cup, the Group stage in Thailand, and now the Finals Series back here at home. All these were, if you like, short forms of competition. In such competitions there's basically no second chance - you don't play a weak team the next week and get three points that way.

I think that this season we have been very inflexible in our starting line-ups, and apparently unwilling to make substitutions and positional changes when that line-up doesn't deliver. At the 60-minute mark yesterday we were 2-0 down, and not looking like scoring. I cannot see any logical reason why we didn't, say, move Leckie to the centre, bring on Cola on the right wing, Tilio on the left, Bos as a left wing-back, and try and win the game. One goal and the pro-City crowd would have lifted and maybe we could have brought City home on the day. Why not go for it? It didn't matter if it didn't work, because we'd already lost the match as it stood. And there was no second leg, no catch-up match next week, no second chance.

There's nothing wrong with having a game plan, but you have to be prepared to be flexible when it's not delivering. And Kisnorbo is not sufficiently flexible.

Well said! 

The reluctance to roll the dice in both utilising the subs and formation changes has certainly cost us all season. 

When you are 2-0 down in a final you have to roll the dice and try something different! Failure to do this next season will cost us once again in the big games. 

I was discussing with my mate during the game last night that we should have copied the tactics and formation that got us back in the game against Adelaide. Of course we didn't and we frustratingly lost, pretty much won that final for that homeless bunch. They certainly didn't win it off their own backs. 

We simply gave it to them and that hurt the most... 

• Like 1

I’ve just sent Shaun Evens a bottle of wine as without him and the 3 points he gifted us against CCM we would have finished empty handed! We are so fortunate to have clinched this title.

The ACL was a disaster IMO; being undefeated in that group is not the great achievement I keep reading about and then blaming other clubs that we didn’t progress as well! All of this could have been avoided with proper recruitment and player management.

It’s been a poor season for my high standards.

PK out.

Edited by Mr MO
  • Like 2

cmon guys PK has won us 2 premierships and 1 GF in 2 seasons, yes the ACL did not go as planned but we have only ever had 1 ACL campaign if we consistently struggle in the ACL and even the league is when questions should be asked. Next season we hopefully will be bringing in a new goalkeeper and a metcalfe replacement and as long as we are getting trophies i am happy

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Zanty said:

cmon guys PK has won us 2 premierships and 1 GF in 2 seasons, yes the ACL did not go as planned but we have only ever had 1 ACL campaign if we consistently struggle in the ACL and even the league is when questions should be asked. Next season we hopefully will be bringing in a new goalkeeper and a metcalfe replacement and as long as we are getting trophies i am happy

Ah yes, the “it worked last season”

He was a caretaker coach, last seasons squad wasn’t his, he inherited the squad, full structure and strategy from Mombaerts. 

This season is the first full season by himself. So he should be assessed on that. Coaches in their second year should progress the squad and improve on player development, he’s done the opposite. Metcalf, Glover, Maclaren and Nabbout are prime examples - all out of form.

He’s also proven that he has no tactical ability, just sticks to the blueprint from 3 years ago.

The squad is very unhappy and confused in matches, I hope you see that right?

He’s rumoured to be fallen out with several senior support staff, evidence of this is that many of them with any real credentials have left the club.

So first time recuiting himself, he’s squandered valuable recruitment spots. With only Leckie being a pass as he’s an experienced footballer.

Seriously mate, any licensed coach can do what PK is doing at our club. He’s proven not to be worth the resources at his disposal, we deserve something much better, somebody who can spearhead the academy and first team.

Loved him as a player but not as a coach.

Edited by Mr MO
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, NewConvert said:

I can accept mistakes but I can't accept not learning. And he has shown no inclination that he is learning and when he does conferences he does not show any inkling that he is a deep thinker.

You can tell he's not very well educated and it probably shows with his lack of tactical nous during the season. Too few occasions where he changed it up for the better... 

2 hours ago, bt50 said:

There's absolutely nothing wrong with our Plan A. It's generally good to watch and effective.
But its maddening that when teams set up that low block against us we're too pig headed to change our point of attack. It's happened all season and IMO, PK has to cop most of the blame for what happened Saturday night.

Plan B can't be do Plan A better. We're Melbourne City not Real Madrid. We don't have the out and out quality to repeatedly put the ball on a dime against a 10 man defence.

This squad requires a clean out, the writing is on the wall to become another Sydney by sticking in your ways. We need players who want to play for the coach.

• Haha 1

13 minutes ago, Mr MO said:

This squad requires a clean out, the writing is on the wall to become another Sydney by sticking in your ways. We need players who want to play for the coach.

Err righto. A squad winning silverware needs a clean out? Taking the piss surely... 

• Like 3

I don't feel PK needs to go at all. I feel like he needs to rethink his game plan and perhaps have a sit down with Mombaerts.

The problem is his lack of using subs and his lack of trying something different when it is needed.. we were 2 goals down and no subs were made. Leckie and Jamo looked absolutely spent and you have Bos and Colacovski sitting on the bench not being used.. I'm not saying that we would have won had these subs been made but what is with his hesitation in using our subs? It's like he lacks confidence in them..

Overall still a successful season. Back to Back Premiers plates. A good ACL campaign and only eliminated because of some stupid rule. Qualified again for ACL next season. You wouldn't sack an AFL coach if he won back to back flags so why would we go sacking PK.. we need to top up our midfield stocks and not be afraid to make subs. I don't necessarily agree with some of his Coaching decisions but I certainly don't think he needs to be sacked at all!

Edited by heart1011
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, MHFC-FAN said:

Err righto. A squad winning silverware needs a clean out? Taking the piss surely... 

I’m starting to think you are taking the piss? Have you not been watching this season? Please take your Melbourne Heart hat off. 

Let’s call it clean out in management and rotation through the ageing players. 

1 minute ago, Mr MO said:

I’m starting to think you are taking the piss? Have you not been watching this season? Please take your Melbourne Heart hat off. 

Let’s call it clean out in management and rotation through the ageing players. 

I can definitely see there has been some poor coaching decisions made. But to be calling for a clean out of the players when only a few spots need improvement is a bit extreme. I think one more season for Kisnorbo. If we drop off next season and finish outside top 2 and no trophies then he will be on the chopping block

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, heart1011 said:

I don't feel PK needs to go at all. I feel like he needs to rethink his game plan and perhaps have a sit down with Mombaerts.

The problem is his lack of using subs and his lack of trying something different when it is needed.. we were 2 goals down and no subs were made. Leckie and Jamo looked absolutely spent and you have Bos and Colacovski sitting on the bench not being used.. I'm not saying that we would have won had these subs been made but what is with his hesitation in using our subs? It's like he lacks confidence in them..

Overall still a successful season. Back to Back Premiers plates. A good ACL campaign and only eliminated because of some stupid rule. Qualified again for ACL next season. You would sack an AFL coach if he won back to back flags so why would we go sacking PK.. we need to top up our midfield stocks and not be afraid to make subs. I don't necessarily agree with some of his Coaching decisions but I certainly don't think he needs to be sacked at all!

I would be in serous trouble at work if I would have wasted 17% of my budget and therefore put unnecessary stress on my workers, resulting in absences and injuries! Next to this all my employees are unhappy with me.

3 minutes ago, MHFC-FAN said:

I can definitely see there has been some poor coaching decisions made. But to be calling for a clean out of the players when only a few spots need improvement is a bit extreme. I think one more season for Kisnorbo. If we drop off next season and finish outside top 2 and no trophies then he will be on the chopping block

Yeah sorry hence I corrected myself with clean out towards management, my bad.

But the Sydney example is very realistic and probable though!

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Mr MO said:

I would be in serous trouble at work if I would have wasted 17% of my budget and therefore put unnecessary stress on my workers, resulting in absences and injuries! Next to this all my employees are unhappy with me.

110% Puccarelli and Endoh were signed for what? On that side of things I completely understand how frustrating it is. His lack of utilising subs is also very frustrating.. definitely feel he needs at minimum a sit down by the higher ups to try and work out what is with his lack of doing anything when we go a goal or 2 down and refusing to try and play more attacking.. He certainly has his favourites.. Bos for example provides alot more than Jamo and he only gets the time he does due to wearing the arm band. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Mr MO said:

I assume the top post you are referring to the Puccareli debacle? That's a big head scratcher and is nothing but a failure of scouting/coaching and waste of visa spot. 

I could see the Sydney syndrome becoming an issue if we were to keep persisting with the likes of Jamieson, Griffiths although he is bench etc. We are not quite in Sydneys position just yet. 

• jw1739 changed the title to The Paddy Kisnorbo thread