Melbourne Football

City vs sauce bottles away 3/02/21

Shahanga

1 hour ago, jw1739 said:

I categorically disagree. This kind of weak-kneed attitude is precisely why we continue to cough up points at the end of matches. This is the 11th season and we're still doing it - remember even under the great (???) Mombaerts we coughed up a 3-1 lead over Brisbane. It's this attitude that Roy Hodgson was sent here to assess for its cause(s) and why we had Warren Joyce foisted on us. A side with a will to win does not cough up a 2-0 lead, whether it's a "routine" league match or a do-or -die FA Cup match. It's when it's backs to the wall that the real clubs/teams show what they're made of, when you go beyond the pain barrier for your teammates and your fans. It's the mettle that Jess Fishlock showed us when she played for 20 minutes with a hammy.

I definitely think there's work for a sports psych at City. That or an exorcist. 

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Mr MO said:

I’ve lost faith in Metcalf he’s not our solution for the future. Too decent, passenger on all levels and nothing jumps out skill, physical and football intelligence wise. You need to need to be better already at certain aspects also at his age to make it at those midfield positions.

Fuck I’m still angry, I really expected us to lift this game.

Sweet Jesus comments like this shit me to tears.

You do know, Metcalfe was put into the 6 position last night don't you? You do know that Metcalfe is not a 6 don't you? Metcalfe has been bloody good for City and for you to attack him after the performance Atkinson, Noone and Maclaren put in, is a joke.

Passenger on all levels?? You are kidding?? You (and many on this forum) obviously have zero idea of City's playing style. Why do you think they got rid of Genreau, Iiannucci and Pierias?? Because they didn't fit the clubs style. Metcalfe is doing EXACTLY as he is told. To stay put and play the lines. Geeze learn your clubs playing style. City don't play a 10. City midfielders don't pass the ball to each other, they use forward channels. All the comments I read on here of "our midfields shit"......hate to tell you, but that is City's style!!  Two 8's and a 6. If you want to 'blame' anyone, its the City style. PK is doing what he's told, he doesn't have any say in changing the style. 

How many players have left City only to go onto another club and play so much better??? I could name quite a few. Watch Genreau play at Macarthur. He's given free reign in the midfield. City don't like that of their midfielders that's why Genreau was let go. They like Metcalfe to sit and Luna to roam. 

Metcalfe will ditch this club and be one of the best players in the league when he's allowed to play his own way. Then you will whinge "ohh why didn't he play like that for us." Learn the sytle champ.

Change your name to Mr Woe ffs

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Tomi said:

You do know, Metcalfe was put into the 6 position last night don't you? You do know that Metcalfe is not a 6 don't you? Metcalfe has been bloody good for City and for you to attack him after the performance Atkinson, Noone and Maclaren put in, is a joke.

Passenger on all levels?? You are kidding?? You (and many on this forum) obviously have zero idea of City's playing style. Why do you think they got rid of Genreau, Iiannucci and Pierias?? Because they didn't fit the clubs style. Metcalfe is doing EXACTLY as he is told. To stay put and play the lines. Geeze learn your clubs playing style. City don't play a 10. City midfielders don't pass the ball to each other, they use forward channels. All the comments I read on here of "our midfields shit"......hate to tell you, but that is City's style!!  Two 8's and a 6. If you want to 'blame' anyone, its the City style. PK is doing what he's told, he doesn't have any say in changing the style. 

How many players have left City only to go onto another club and play so much better??? I could name quite a few. Watch Genreau play at Macarthur. He's given free reign in the midfield. City don't like that of their midfielders that's why Genreau was let go. They like Metcalfe to sit and Luna to roam. 

Metcalfe will ditch this club and be one of the best players in the league when he's allowed to play his own way. Then you will whinge "ohh why didn't he play like that for us." Learn the sytle champ.

No problem Connor haha! He didn’t have best game for us, this was all in the heat of the moment but I’m concerned about his development this season also in the 8 role. I always focus a lot on off ball movement, willingness to receive the ball and positioning - wasn’t good last night (just like many others).

I agree with your post though regarding anything else. I’m a Man City supporter and well familiar with the style.

If you know me I give others plenty of shit too!

Edited by Mr MO

1 hour ago, Tomi said:

Well, you may be right. But it's completely pointless for CFG to talk about winning and the ACL and all that stuff, pointless to spend money on facilities and an Academy, if they are going to persist with a style that doesn't win anything and merely produces good players for other clubs. Just doesn't make sense. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, jw1739 said:

Well, you may be right. But it's completely pointless for CFG to talk about winning and the ACL and all that stuff, pointless to spend money on facilities and an Academy, if they are going to persist with a style that doesn't win anything and merely produces good players for other clubs. Just doesn't make sense. 

Yes, if anything shits me to tears, it's this. What a fucking waste of talent. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Mr MO said:

No problem Connor haha! He didn’t have best game for us, this was all in the heat of the moment but I’m concerned about his development this season also in the 8 role. I always focus a lot on off ball movement, willingness to receive the ball and positioning - wasn’t good last night (just like many others).

I agree with your post though regarding anything else. I’m a Man City supporter and well familiar with the style.

If you know me I give others plenty of shit too!

As of a whole if were persisting this style it’s delivered us no trophies bar 1 FFA Cup in the 5+ years CFG has run this club. Not a big watermark and shows how our players don’t fit the system we are trying to play. Shouldn’t we be playing to the strengths that our players have than a style that as of this moment delivered basically no success 

Erick brought the philosophy to the club his style and Kisnorbo is trying to copy it apprentice and the master. One who could find the errors and tinker with it and one who can’t basically. 

Edited by CityBoyz

5 hours ago, CityBoyz said:

As of a whole if were persisting this style it’s delivered us no trophies bar 1 FFA Cup in the 5+ years CFG has run this club. Not a big watermark and shows how our players don’t fit the system we are trying to play. Shouldn’t we be playing to the strengths that our players have than a style that as of this moment delivered basically no success 

Erick brought the philosophy to the club his style and Kisnorbo is trying to copy it apprentice and the master. One who could find the errors and tinker with it and one who can’t basically. 

I would like to think that we are recruiting around this system. Within this system  the demand (workrate, skill level, ability to score and assist) is very high for those pivotal midfield positions. Think about Foden, Gündogan, Silva, KvB - Man City can easily play without Jesus or Aguero at the moment. 

Hence you can argue that it is obvious that we are going backwards by extending the contract of one underperformer and not adequately replacing the DM vacancy of Brillante - In this salary capped league our money needs to be on the pitch in those positions for this system to thrive and its not. Our top earners would be Jmac, Nabbout and Good (I’m guessing). It is no surprise that our best results or best football have come with a Brillante or Mooy in the team.

Then again watching the CCM game on replay again, the amount of turn overs from Luna who usually is the most reliable was astounding, think about the Da Silva goal - it’s make or break for us if those positions aren’t firing it seems.

Of course we have other issues too in Jmac fading in and out a games. The curious case of Craig Noone who surely has lied on his resume about having played in the EPL. To name a few...I like to think that Atkinsons stinker is a one off

Another mystery to me is the hoofball out of defensive - instructed or player improvisation due to no options in midfield? Jmac is certainly no holding up the ball type of forward so as per your comment - are we playing to our players strength???

Edited by Mr MO
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Mr MO said:

Another mystery to me is the hoofball out of defensive - instructed or player improvisation due to no options in midfield? Jmac is certainly no holding up the ball type of forward so as per your comment - are we playing to our players strength???

This annoys me the most as look at the goal against western United fast movement along the ground but no we stick to long balls and crosses into the box where we don't have the height/players. 

Most of the long balls come from playing out of the back defenders passing to each other, then shitting themselves when pressed, hoof it out and then the opposition attack again. 

48 minutes ago, HughJass said:

This annoys me the most as look at the goal against western United fast movement along the ground but no we stick to long balls and crosses into the box where we don't have the height/players. 

Most of the long balls come from playing out of the back defenders passing to each other, then shitting themselves when pressed, hoof it out and then the opposition attack again. 

It happened so often that it was either a directive from Kisnorbo or players were taking the matter into their own hands. As a reference,  there's no way this team would be allowed to do that under Postecoglou.*

*I'm not advocating him for the job. 

We were basically instructed not to do the hoofball at all under Joyce and as such we became very easy to play against. Erick reintroduced it, but only when the situation presented and not at the  expense of keeping the ball.
The players seem to be resorting to it more and more now, IMO its less out of instruction and more out of bad habit, as the long ball is definitely the lazy option in game. Needs to be nipped in the bud.

Balance is they key imo, and at the minute we're not finding it.

• Like 4