Melbourne Football

City vs sauce bottles away 3/02/21

Shahanga

Really truly pathetic.  We're in serious trouble this season. We need more quality in midfield and it was always on the cards that our defence would be stretched with no experienced cover for our CBs.

NA was not ready to play tonight.  A shocking game.

PK is out of his depth ... not sure he can turn it round. 

This club really knows how to maximise the suffering of its supporters. At least we gave one of the biggest fucktards in the history of the aleague a memorable milestone match. 

FMD ....  the gloom has set

Edited by Torn Asunder

12 minutes ago, Mr MO said:

Yup exactly, hence I didn’t buy the grand final hype, there were so many unexploited issues last season.

3-2 losing okay but fuck me we were 2-0 against run of play but still.

Last season was at least promising, a second season with Mombearts would have at least ironed out some of the issues that cost us last year.

I love big Patty, but we look like absolute garbage right now. Trying to copy Mombearts system without any first team coaching experience, who thought this was a good idea?

Even with our full starting squad early in the season we looked unconvincing. He doesn't have the experience, nor the quality on field to make up for it like Corica at Sydney. Big Aloisi vibes this season, and I feel like it's only gonna get worse.

1 minute ago, Torn Asunder said:

Really truly pathetic.  We're in serious trouble this season. We need more quality in midfield and it was always on the cards that our defence would be stretched with no experienced cover for our CBs.

NA was not ready to play tonight.  A shocking game.

PK is out of his depth ... not sure he can turn it round. 

This club really knows how to maximise the suffering of its supporters. At least gave one of the biggest fucktards in the history of the aleague a memorable milestone match. 

FMD ....  the gloom has set

I got there after Sunday night and got canned for it. But my instinct was right, sad as I am to say it. We sold our identity for fools gold. 

• Thanks 1

Just now, jw1739 said:

3 reds in 5 matches tells me that this is an unhappy club at this moment. And I suggest that's why we are the shambles that we are.

CFG are taking us nowhere.

...and regularly losing a game after leading

We've had a glimpse of what can happen if we have a good coach but CFG seem determined to ensure that it remains a glimpse

I don't even know where to start with that, we are in absolute free fall and there doesn't seem anyone can stop it. There is no one in that team who has that real C about them to grab the guys and say enough is enough, Jamo pretends to have it but we all know he doesn't. 

I have absolutely no confidence that we will beat Jets on Sunday 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, neio said:

I don't even know where to start with that, we are in absolute free fall and there doesn't seem anyone can stop it. There is no one in that team who has that real C about them to grab the guys and say enough is enough, Jamo pretends to have it but we all know he doesn't. 

I have absolutely no confidence that we will beat Jets on Sunday 

No chance were beating the jets, we’re going down a slope, look rudderless. 

Has to be a record, three red cards in five fucking matches. It’s very difficult to win football games when we’re constantly down to 10 men. Where’s our discipline?

We also really need a senior defender and an option off the bench. A proper defensive midfielder would be handy. I don’t blame Stokes for his inexperience, we can’t be surprised when a teenager does something silly.

Here’s my optimistic take: when we get Reis, Griffiths and Nabbout back into this team we’ll be much, much better. Atkinson is very rusty and is a lot better than that, O’Neill can strengthen us too. There’s still a lot to be optimistic about. I reckon we’ve copped our fair share of bad luck and stupid decisions and we’ll start winning these games soon.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Harrison said:

Has to be a record, three red cards in five fucking matches. It’s very difficult to win football games when we’re constantly down to 10 men. Where’s our discipline?

We also really need a senior defender and an option off the bench. A proper defensive midfielder would be handy. I don’t blame Stokes for his inexperience, we can’t be surprised when a teenager does something silly.

Here’s my optimistic take: when we get Reis, Griffiths and Nabbout back into this team we’ll be much, much better. Atkinson is very rusty and is a lot better than that, O’Neill can strengthen us too. There’s still a lot to be optimistic about. I reckon we’ve copped our fair share of bad luck and stupid decisions and we’ll start winning these games soon.

The problem is that by the time they are back and fit and firing, the seasons already gone and morale is shot. 

2 minutes ago, Harrison said:

O’Neill not back for 3 months season will all but be over if we’re waiting for him

1 minute ago, CityBoyz said:

O’Neill not back for 3 months season will all but be over if we’re waiting for him

True but he’s not the one I’m most interested in. Partly because he’s not much of a defensive midfielder and, truth be told, Metcalfe isn’t either (it’s not their fault that they get played there, they’re more comfortable further forward). We’ll get a lot more from Reis and Griffiths because they’ll toughen up our spine and give us more control.

2 minutes ago, Harrison said:

True but he’s not the one I’m most interested in. Partly because he’s not much of a defensive midfielder and, truth be told, Metcalfe isn’t either (it’s not their fault that they get played there, they’re more comfortable further forward). We’ll get a lot more from Reis and Griffiths because they’ll toughen up our spine and give us more control.

Losing brilliante was massive, we need a real DM back asap, how long until Reis is cleared to play?

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, TJV said:

I know it's early, but missing finals is not out of the question, it seems like everyone else has improved squads and staff in terms of quality and management, but we've slid backwards in both departments despite having the 'resources' of cfg. 

It’s logical right, we deliberately haven’t invested in the squad to actually improve the quality but our aim was to keep them together and plugged some holes. 

Perhaps complacency from making the GF, last year we rode our luck in many games this year it all goes against us for now.

21 minutes ago, Harrison said:

I’ve lost faith in Metcalf he’s not our solution for the future. Too decent, passenger on all levels and nothing jumps out skill, physical and football intelligence wise. You need to need to be better already at certain aspects also at his age to make it at those midfield positions.

Fuck I’m still angry, I really expected us to lift this game.

13 minutes ago, Mr MO said:

It’s logical right, we deliberately haven’t invested in the squad to actually improve the quality but our aim was to keep them together and plugged some holes. 

Perhaps complacency from making the GF, last year we rode our luck in many games this year it all goes against us for now.

Can’t complain we asked for squad retention which was good, only thing we didn’t do after that is improve the squad with a quality playmaker instead we got a 20 year youth player as a visa as well as Nabbout which has been injured so too early to call on that. Just a meh signing period tbh no outstanding player that made you stand up and think we have ambition and want to challenge. Also why do we have 4 fullbacks, 6 wingers, only 1 recognised CB, no marquee player. Midfield has been drastically not been addressed as well CB and attacking midfielder 

Edited by CityBoyz
  • Thanks 2

I still stand by the point that it’s a quality issue with the starting players and not necessarily PK’s fault.

I think Eric has gotten the maximum out of the group last year, I doubt he was going to do any better this year.

Our arrived, carrying players that’s the problem, JMac suddenly doesn’t turn into a ball magnet, Berenguer suddenly industrious week in week out, Jamieson can suddenly play a decent pass, Noone suddenly runs quicker and get pass two opponents.

Luna was horrible tonight, the 3-2 was on him with then with Metcalf not pulling the break which he should in that role - Brillante would have put Da Silva over the knee.

Edited by Mr MO

I think the call to sub Atkinson on for Galloway was the wrong call. I'm not sure the reasoning either.  Atkinson has had limited game time and is more of an attacking full back than an outright defender. Being up at this stage i found this a bit strange. 

When looking at our defence holistically we had 6 different players play within the back 4 during tonight's game. I thought a rule of thumb with defenses is to avoid making changes if no change is needed or is avoidable. 

If the 5 games so far are any indication of the rest of the season we're in for one hell of a emotional roller coaster ride. 

That second half was a supporter's nightmare

- avoidable goals conceded
- void of leadership
- absence of discipline
- nonsensical substitutions
- Matt Simon MOTM

I didn't think we could descend too much further after the Perth game, to the extent that I went into this not expecting anything - and yet, I'm absolutely astounded by how bad we were. I'm feeling particularly vindicated by my comments post-Sunday honestly regarding the lack of depth in the squad. How are we so thin this early in the season?? Injuries have had an effect, but it's not like we've been decimated by them. 

So, so poor

• Like 1

6 hours ago, n i k o said:

I think the call to sub Atkinson on for Galloway was the wrong call. I'm not sure the reasoning either.  Atkinson has had limited game time and is more of an attacking full back than an outright defender. ....

When looking at our defence holistically we had 6 different players play within the back 4 during tonight's game. I thought a rule of thumb with defenses is to avoid making changes if no change is needed or is avoidable. 

Two of the starting 4 were injured and 1 was sent off.

could hardly continue with Galloway, he’d done his hammy.

Black comedy stuff at the back.

2 hours ago, Shahanga said:

Two of the starting 4 were injured and 1 was sent off.

could hardly continue with Galloway, he’d done his hammy.

Black comedy stuff at the back.

Fair enough. I think this was the biggest problem we had last night, even though it was out of Kisnorbos hands. 

7 hours ago, n i k o said:

Fair enough. I think this was the biggest problem we had last night, even though it was out of Kisnorbos hands. 

I know we were shit, but perhaps we being too harsh?

Every team in the League is going to lose when they lose 3 out of 4 starting defenders during the match.

5 minutes ago, Shahanga said:

I know we were shit, but perhaps we being too harsh?

Every team in the League is going to lose when they lose 3 out of 4 starting defenders during the match.

I categorically disagree. This kind of weak-kneed attitude is precisely why we continue to cough up points at the end of matches. This is the 11th season and we're still doing it - remember even under the great (???) Mombaerts we coughed up a 3-1 lead over Brisbane. It's this attitude that Roy Hodgson was sent here to assess for its cause(s) and why we had Warren Joyce foisted on us. A side with a will to win does not cough up a 2-0 lead, whether it's a "routine" league match or a do-or -die FA Cup match. It's when it's backs to the wall that the real clubs/teams show what they're made of, when you go beyond the pain barrier for your teammates and your fans. It's the mettle that Jess Fishlock showed us when she played for 20 minutes with a hammy.

• Like 1