Melbourne Football

The Olyroos (Australian U-23s) Thread

Shahanga

• 3 weeks later...

Olyroos out with barely a whimper. 

Australian football really is in a perilous State.

Meanwhile to address the drop in standard  the FFA have refused to allow a 2nd division and have closed the AIS.

All this while we have our regional rivals pour money into the game. I suggest we all enjoy watching Australia at the next World Cup. Might want to record the games too.

1 hour ago, Shahanga said:

Olyroos out with barely a whimper. 

Australian football really is in a perilous State.

Meanwhile to address the drop in standard  the FFA have refused to allow a 2nd division and have closed the AIS.

All this while we have our regional rivals pour money into the game. I suggest we all enjoy watching Australia at the next World Cup. Might want to record the games too.

I wonder how many people really care? There's only so much that the football public can take - eventually the hype fails to catch their interest. I'm astonished that Slowy and Gallop continue to lead FFA when there is so much to be done and yet so little ever does. Until we have a strong domestic league with better footballers providing a more exciting product more often in more places, other than a four-yearly flicker of interest in the national team no-one is going to take more than peripheral interest in the rest of football.

• Like 2

It seems that the new National curriculum is missing 2 chapters: movement off the ball in the front third and how to make a defence penetrating pass, and the chapter on scoring. I think that the underlying problem is mainly that U23 players just don't get enough first team football, and even when they do there just aren't enough games in a season.

• Like 2

On 18/01/2018 at 1:19 PM, belaguttman said:

It seems that the new National curriculum is missing 2 chapters: movement off the ball in the front third and how to make a defence penetrating pass, and the chapter on scoring. I think that the underlying problem is mainly that U23 players just don't get enough first team football, and even when they do there just aren't enough games in a season.

Was watching the Korean game today at lunch, and thought that the lack of central penetrating play (from our midfielders in particular) was single handedly the reason we didn't get more outta the game.

We never look to break them dine in the middle, thereby forced wide and had to hope a cross would work.

Makes me wonder where the next Aaron Mooy is genuinely going to come from

• 1 year later...
12 hours ago, mus-28 said:

Pretty sad indictment that about 2/3rd of that squad can't get regular 1st team games and Baccus is probably the only one who is a regular starter week in, week out.

Also the Coach. Nothing against Arnold, but fair dinkum countries don’t have the same coach for their national team as their U23s.

We can afford administrators but we can’t afford another coach?

Its back to the Soccer Australia and dying NSL when Frank Farina had both jobs because it was cheap.

2 hours ago, mus-28 said:

I actually prefer using Arnold as coach, allows him to implement his style and structure to the younger players who should be knocking on the door of the Socceroos. Plus, it's not like he has a whole lot to do during this time.

True. The job's almost a sinecure.

Glover with a bit of a nervy moment coming way out for a long ball, managed to flick it with his head.

Edit: Another fresh air swing at the ball from a corner. Doesn’t look comfortable.

Third edit: And they score, though not much he can do about it. Good shot rebounding in off the post. 

Edited by Harrison

Better from Glover. Another moment where he lost his bearing and chased a shot going wide, followed up by good work in the air. Seems good in the air but a bit more suspect down low.  

Far too many of our players try to dribble their way past the defence. Toure has been in great positions but rarely gets played through. 

• Like 1

Daniel Margush released by Adelaide whilst he's at this tournament. Common sense would say he's on his way to Newcastle with Moss getting injured and Italiano's previous performances being pretty poor. Hopefully it works out for him because he looked like he was destined for pretty big things when he was given the chance at Adelaide a few years ago.

Glover started again in goal, Najjarine started too in an attacking mid / right wing position. Metcalfe on bench. Genareau has done an ankle in training apparently, rolled from what commentary has said. 

Najjarine has scored after roughly 30 min, nice crisp two touch finish after being played into the right side of the penalty area

Four years ago we couldn’t get out of our group. This time around we topped it and now have won our quarter final!

We’ll see what happens from here but we’re already a long way ahead of the last 2 campaigns.

Better players? Better coach? A bit of both perhaps? Is there a light at the end of the tunnel for Australian football?

Just a shame we're without Arzani, Souttar, McGree, Kalik and Atkinson. Just having McGree and Atkinson would make a huge difference and could end up costing us qualification as I can't see us beating the Uzbeks. A real shame because our best XI with 3 overage players could be quite good to watch at the Olympics.

We got there, just!

Special mention to the ref, straight red which changed the game.

Excellent opportunity to play in the the Olympics and also going to the Copa America suddenly the national teams are playing in prestigious meaningful tournaments. 

Most interested in the 3 overage players we take to the Olympics. You'd surely strengthen the core of the side with Sainsbury, Mooy and Taggart. We're pretty good at full back and on the wings, a little bit more quality down the spine and we could cause some upsets.

Kudos to Arnold, he gets a lot of shit and he's had a lot working against him here and got us through.  

2 hours ago, mus-28 said:

Most interested in the 3 overage players we take to the Olympics. You'd surely strengthen the core of the side with Sainsbury, Mooy and Taggart. We're pretty good at full back and on the wings, a little bit more quality down the spine and we could cause some upsets.

Kudos to Arnold, he gets a lot of shit and he's had a lot working against him here and got us through.  

Yes Arnold has been building a reputation as a miracle worker for a few years now and this just enhances it.

I can only think those “critics” that bag him are dirty Tards or Bogans, twisted from watching their teams lose to his.

Im sure he’ll find a way to make the squad competitive at the Olympics.

2 hours ago, Shahanga said:

Yes Arnold has been building a reputation as a miracle worker for a few years now and this just enhances it.

I can only think those “critics” that bag him are dirty Tards or Bogans, twisted from watching their teams lose to his.

Im sure he’ll find a way to make the squad competitive at the Olympics.

Theres a lot of coaches these days that are philosophy first and try to get everything to fit their ideals.

Arnie is the opposite and chooses the best tactics based on what he has. The players love him for it and consequently play for the man that backs him. 

He's comfortably the best Australian coach around when it comes to a national team setup imo. Ange was never going to have the time required to implement his style over the journey for a national team.

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

Well here’s the squad of foreign based players plus the non-finals A League clubs.

(posted before, but I’m putting it with the other U23s for posterity)

interesting that we actually have so many overseas based players. Surely at least a couple will work out. I have a feeling Football in Australia is on an upswing.

4F4B0E5F-9919-46DC-AA80-95E6AA1E9286.jpeg

Incidentally Panos Armenakas featured on The World Game as a child. They showed him bending a free kick into the top corner past some bemused under 8s.

The late great Les Murray was very keen to track his progress and wrote at least one article about him.

Arnie cops a lot from the Australian public -  sometimes it's warranted, but he should be commended for only taking non-finals A-League players for the U23. 

He very easily could have decimated us as I'm surely plenty of other managers might have, but being an A-League man through and through its great that he respects the integrity of the competition enough. 

Will be a very different story come Socceroos call-up time but qualification is a different beast entirely. Fair play Arnie.

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...
  • jw1739 pinned this topic

Update: Bit confusing, I think a match vs Saudi Arabia was cancelled but this one seems on.

Any insomniacs out there? olyroos playing Romania at 4am tomorrow.

The coverage if you can call it that comes without commentary or a team sheet. You can find the team sheet on social media prior to kick off though if you fish around.

(Surely they could have got some uni media students to call the game, anyway)

Links mentioned here:

56B13C07-9A3A-4ABA-A5CA-B52BE40DE9F6.png

Edited by Shahanga
Confused myself

• 3 weeks later...