Melbourne Football

The Olyroos (Australian U-23s) Thread

Shahanga

Well a chance to discuss what appears to me a pretty disasterous campaign. Mathematically it seems we still have a chance of qualifying for the Olympics, but to do so what need a miraculous reversal of form.

Questions gonig through my head right now are:

Who prepares for a game in sub zero conditions in Dubai?

Why do Aurelio Vidmar teams struggle to score goals?

How much does it matter if we don't make the Olympics?

Edited by jw1739
  • Like 1

Well a chance to discuss what appears to me a pretty disasterous campaign. Mathematically it seems we still have a chance of qualifying for the Olympics, but to do so what need a miraculous reversal of form.

Questions gonig through my head right now are:

Who prepares for a game in sub zero conditions in Dubai?

Why do Aurelio Vidmar teams struggle to score goals?

How much does it matter if we don't make the Olympics?

1. No-one should. And no-one should be playing any sort of meaningful competitive football match when the ground is frozen solid and the air temperature is minus 12. Rank stupidity if you ask me.

2. Did we play 4-3-3? Isn't this the FFA-mandated line-up? Seems to me that this line-up just doesn't have enough strike power up front to deliver goals.

3. IMO of no consequence whatsoever. If football is to be an Olympic sport then age-restrictions on participants do not make sense. Do such restrictions apply to any other Olympic sport?

Well the Olyroos campaign is what you get when your coach only knows how to defend and counter attack and his teams barely score goals. Vidmar must go as Olyroos coach now, failure to qualify for the Olympics is just a really poor effort.

I don't think qualifying was ever going to be easy- we have only had an unbeaten run of qualifying because we used to get a direct in Oceania. What disturbs me is the nature of the failed qualifying - so many 0-0 games. Can't buy a goal, even at home. The only saving grace is that the olympics aren't a high profile football competition. Still having said all that I think A Vidmar is showing he is clearly not ready to be a senior coach yet (despite his previous experience) and his development would be best served by a stint as an assistant somewhere.

I don't think qualifying was ever going to be easy- we have only had an unbeaten run of qualifying because we used to get a direct in Oceania. What disturbs me is the nature of the failed qualifying - so many 0-0 games. Can't buy a goal, even at home. The only saving grace is that the olympics aren't a high profile football competition. Still having said all that I think A Vidmar is showing he is clearly not ready to be a senior coach yet (despite his previous experience) and his development would be best served by a stint as an assistant somewhere.

Or is it slavish adherence to 4-3-3...trying to fit players into a "system." Shouldn't we try to find what suits the players we have rather then the other way round?

• 4 weeks later...

Goodwin and Hamill selected in next weeks squad, congrats to the lads.

Also FWIW, in truth, it was probably MHFCs fault the boys won't be going to London.

They were the ones who forced the FFA to bring in the 3 player per club rule.

Wouldn't say that.

Three 0-0 draws to start is never good.

I'm not sure if i should be disappointed or frustrated after watching that. Looks like the future of Australian football might be bleak...

Definitely some awesome talent & I have to disagree, I think the next gen Socceroos will be awesome, they just need better blend & unfortunately Vidmar is shit.

Going to straight out ask what everyone's opinions of Vidmar are?

also; I'll fix what I said about the future of soccer being bleak. The entire campaign dissapointed me because I was expecting so much more from a talented young squad. does anyone have any reasons for why results like this might of happened (excluding vidmar) because I've seriously been out of a loop due to studies and would like opinions/answers/ideas.

The entire campaign dissapointed me because I was expecting so much more from a talented young squad. does anyone have any reasons for why results like this might of happened (excluding vidmar) because I've seriously been out of a loop due to studies and would like opinions/answers/ideas.

Fixation with 4-3-3 and the wrong players to deliver results with it. This formation just does not have enough up front to score goals, as proven by this campaign. I watched the last 40 minutes last night, and I would say that we did not create one single 100% scoring opportunity - a couple of half-chances at best.

Too many back passes, not a single player able to take on a man and beat him with guile rather than pace, and too many players taking an extra touch and 3-4 more strides before releasing the ball somewhere towards a team-mate. Just run, kick and hope. Result is no crisp passing movements, and turnover of possession.

TBH, if that was the first game you ever watched you would never come back again. Sterile, bland and outright boring.

Bit harsh on 4-3-3 jw. Its supposed to be a pass and move type formation- triangles all over the field. The formation doesn't create "run, kick and hope" by itself.

The way i see it the pissants could never score a goal either when Vidmar was in charge. No matter who he signed it was still goal poverty. Not sure our U23 players are that crap either- they might actually be OK, certainly a few of them look like they have serious potential, but it would require a decent gaffer to find that out.

I am therefore definitely signing up for the Vidmar witch hunt. It was pretty obvious from early on he was going to be a disaster and to me the most disappointing thing about it was that this was an opportunity for a young coach to further their knowledge and skills, at the same time as working along side Osieck, yet it seems to have been totally wasted on Mr Clean Sheet. I seriously think the FFA should consider sacking him and appointing someone with POTENTIAL to be assistant to Osieck instead. Just to be safe maybe we should sack his brother as well- it might be genetic.

It might be only U23s but we all expect a national teams to show a bit more than that.

Bit harsh on 4-3-3 jw. Its supposed to be a pass and move type formation- triangles all over the field. The formation doesn't create "run, kick and hope" by itself.

Didn't express myself very well. What I meant was that if we're going to play 4-3-3 then we're supposed to be creating those triangles but the players aren't doing that. They're trying to run with the ball instead of passing it. So many times the obvious pass is delayed just that bit too long. That's why we break down so often. Notwithstanding that I still think the 4-3-3 formation does not have enough up front.

• 2 years later...

Bump.

U22 squad for this tournament in China:

Name

Club, Country

Mustafa AMINI

Borussia Dortmund, Germany

Corey BROWN

Brisbane Roar, Australia

Cameron BURGESS

Fulham, England

Travis COOPER

VVV Venlo, Netherlands

James DONACHIE

Brisbane Roar, Australia

Jack DUNCAN (gk)

Perth Glory, Australia

Ryan EDWARDS

Reading, England

Scott GALLOWAY

Melbourne Victory, Australia

Giancarlo GALLIFUOCO

Swansea City, Wales

Corey GAMEIRO

Sydney FC, Australia

Jason GERIA

John HALL (gk)

Adelaide United, Australia

Andrew HOOLE

Newcastle Jets, Australia

Jackson IRVINE

Ross County, Scotland

Aaron LENNOX (gk)

Queens Park Rangers, England

Jamie MACLAREN

Perth Glory, Australia

Stefan MAUK

Melbourne City, Australia

Connor PAIN

Steven UGARKOVIC

NK Osijek, Croatia

Ryan WILLIAMS

Barnsley, England (on loan)

Riley WOODCOCK

Perth Glory, Australia

Kwame YEBOAH

Borussia Monchengladbach, Germany

The Olyroos will face Brazil's Under-22's in their opening match on Friday 14 November, China Under-22 on Sunday 16 November and then Korea Republic Under-22's on Tuesday 18 November.

All matches will be played at the Wuhan Sports Centre, Wuhan, China.

We'll see how we go.

• 1 year later...
  • jw1739 pinned this topic