Melbourne Football

Round 13: Newcastle v. City, Tuesday 30th Dec, K.O. 5.00 p.m.

jw1739

Tuesday, 30 December 2014

Newcastle Jets v Melbourne City FC

Hunter Stadium, Newcastle

Kick-Off: 5:00 PM (Local) (5:00 PM AEDT)

Referee: Stephen Lucas

Assistant Referee 1: Ryan Gallagher

Assistant Referee 2: Andrej Giev

Fourth Official: Adam Gehrig

TV Broadcast: Live and exclusive coverage on FOX SPORTS 505 from 5.00pm (AEDT) and Sky Sport 1 (New Zealand)

Radio Broadcast: Grandstand Online/ ABC Radio Mobile phone app .

Join the conversation on Twitter using the hash-tag #NEWvMCY

Melbourne City FC Squad: 1.Andrew REDMAYNE (GK), 3.Robbie WIELAERT, 4.Connor CHAPMAN, 5.Erik PAARTALU, 6.Aaron MOOY, 7.Iain RAMSAY, 10.Robert KOREN, 11.Damien DUFF, 14.James BROWN, 15.David WILLIAMS, 18.Paulo RETRE, 19.Benjamin GARUCCIO, 20.Tando VELAPHI (GK), 23.Mate DUGANDZIC, 24.Patrick KISNORBO ©, 25.Jacob MELLING, 27, Ross ARCHBALD, 28.Liam MILLER

***two to be omitted***

Ins: 18.Paulo RETRE (promoted), 27.Ross ARCHIBALD (promoted)

Outs: Nil

Unavailable: 8.Massimo MURDOCCA (ankle – 1 weeks), 17.Jason HOFFMAN (back strain – 1-3 weeks)

http://www.a-league.com.au/article/hyundai-a-league-round-13-ins-and-outs/poz6lfywx7oc13y7w59hr8qyk

Melling and Chapman have both truly been revelations, they've improved our starting XI immensely with their skill and commitment to the cause. 

As mentioned above, if we can sort out our Visa players then we'll be set for a tilt at the title as we've got a great Aussie contingency by A-League standards.

Jaliens should be back for this, shouldn't he? Makes the Jets look a bit better on paper, but he hasn't exactly been covering himself in glory with his performance as captain so far this year.

Jaliens hasn't impressed me at all. As far as I can see his only redeeming feature is he looks like a mate of mine. Hopefully his previous form continues in this game.

And worse than just his average form, he's actually been the antithesis of what a team would want from a captain, just from my brief observations. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe his last two outings have consisted of a 'I'm not the problem; it's the rest of these useless shit trucks (I'm paraphrasing)' post game interview and an absolutely appalling red card in a game that was already well and truly out of hand. Really leading from the front. And in the games that he was out, the Jets had their best result of the season against Adelaide and nearly pinched a point away against Victory.

• Like 1

Seems odd to be playing at 5pm. That would stop a few people watching the game (there are some of us still working).
With the Sydney vs Brisbane at 8pm I would think they could start 5:30 or push the other game back to 8:30 or have an afternoon game New Year's Day.

Seems odd to be playing at 5pm. That would stop a few people watching the game (there are some of us still working).

With the Sydney vs Brisbane at 8pm I would think they could start 5:30 or push the other game back to 8:30 or have an afternoon game New Year's Day.

Yeah, it's a strange timeslot on a weeknight, even in late-December. Good excuse for me to duck out early, but plenty (both City and Jets supporters) wouldn't have that luxury.

Just happy to watch the heart play after 4 days, nothing better then getting to watch your sporting team play more often!

In regards to the game the first 10 minutes will tell us whats going to happen. When we've come out with purpose early on like the Brisbane game earlier this year we've gone on and won it but i just don't hope the half ass heart attitude of 'newy's shit, we'll win' rocks up.

Just happy to watch the heart play after 4 days, nothing better then getting to watch your sporting team play more often!

In regards to the game the first 10 minutes will tell us whats going to happen. When we've come out with purpose early on like the Brisbane game earlier this year we've gone on and won it but i just don't hope the half ass heart attitude of 'newy's shit, we'll win' rocks up.

We came out with purpose against Sydney at Allianz, Victory at Etihad, Central Coast and Adelaide at home and...yes, even Wellington. Just saying.

For mine this is our most important game of the season. We have a poor record in Newcastle and this club have a record of letting everyone down just when things are looking up.

Clearly right at the moment our biggest issue is with the front 3. That is evident by the fact our leading scorer is our DM.

Fitting Koren into our starting lineup is a bit tricky also. I wonder if there's a chance we may play 4 centrally in midfield with Koren at the front of a diamond formation.

Anyway, walking away from this with anything less then 3 points will be a step backwards in our season.

We need to harden up sunshines! If we can't beat Newy then the good work of the past few weeks is just back to good 'ol JVS Heart days.

I want to see Duga break out of his sh!t spell of form and start to impose himself. This is what's missing from his game IMO. He's confidence is shot and he doesn't 'agressively' contest for the ball. He just rolls over like a pussy cat.

Ramsay was kind of OK last week but FFS, ship him out of the squad van't Schip ASAP. Unlike Duga, Willo will look to physically impose himself but skill wise he will be sh!t.

We will win this game because Newy is shittier than we are. This is fact :)

For mine this is our most important game of the season. We have a poor record in Newcastle and this club have a record of letting everyone down just when things are looking up.

Clearly right at the moment our biggest issue is with the front 3. That is evident by the fact our leading scorer is our DM.

Fitting Koren into our starting lineup is a bit tricky also. I wonder if there's a chance we may play 4 centrally in midfield with Koren at the front of a diamond formation.

Anyway, walking away from this with anything less then 3 points will be a step backwards in our season.

I agree, but it feels like I've been saying that for so many games in a row that it's almost becoming a parody. After digging a hole for ourselves with another pathetic start to the season, the most important game of the season for us is going to continue to be 'the next one', until our position on the table no longer makes it easy to label this side as underachievers. And I'm sure that will be true again for the Central Coast game 24 hours from now. And again when we resume in February against the Wanderers.

No matter how much this team has improved, it's not going to win every game from here on. A draw tomorrow is quite likely to see us hold our spot in the top six (unless Brisbane wins and even then, we'd only be out on GD). For me, it's as much about keeping this team on the relatively even keel that it's been on, with regard to consistent effort, over the past few weeks. Get off this bloody roller coaster that the team has been on, pretty much since its inception. And if a decent effort only gets a point against the Jets, I'll live with that and move on to the Mariners.

Edited by SF33
  • Like 2

Well I wouldn't like to say what will happen tomorrow (today for you guys).

However, I do think that the front 3 needs to be shaken up.......although I am not convinced it will be

So this is the team I would go with

Velaphi

Wielhart     Chapman     Kisnorbo    Garuccio

Paartalu

Melling                   Mooy

Brown                  Williams                Duff

Subs: Redmayne, Archibald, Koren, Dugandzic, Ramsay

Personally I would prefer Germano and Dekker to Archibald and Ramsay on the subs bench, but it looks like JVS still goes safety first.

So I guess we will have to persevere with players like Ramsay a bit longer.

• Like 2

Id be hoping for Koren as a false 9 but probably wont happen

Tandooooo

Wielaert Chapman Kisnorbo garrucio

Paartalu

Mooy           melling

Koren

Duga                                         Duff

Edited by Dylan

Tandooooo

Paartalu

Mooy           melling

Koren

If JVS is implementing his new hard nosed coaching philosophy then Duga should start on the bench. IMO the guy is at the crossroads in his career and needs to step up another level or we should schip him out.

• Like 3

Tandooooo

Paartalu

Mooy           melling

Koren

If JVS is implementing his new hard nosed coaching philosophy then Duga should start on the bench. IMO the guy is at the crossroads in his career and needs to step up another level or we should schip him out.

I agree. Players like Dugandzic are symptomatic of what's been wrong with the club for a long time. He generally plays about one good game per month, but because he plays as a forward and he's obviously not conceding goals, people don't call for his head like they do with our much-maligned defenders. He's barely even looked threatening all season and he is a major reason why the team often seems bereft of ideas, outside of 'pop it up at a set piece and hope Paartalu or Kisnorbo get on to it'.

He should absolutely be on notice.

• Like 1

I know it's the same old boring topic, but don't we have a full-back from the youth team worthy of stepping up to the firsts?

The focus has been on LB, but now with Hoffman injured - and he's hardly the league's best RB - suddenly we have no RB either.

WTF is wrong with our coaching team with this blind spot in our recruitment?

I know it's the same old boring topic, but don't we have a full-back from the youth team worthy of stepping up to the firsts?

The focus has been on LB, but now with Hoffman injured - and he's hardly the league's best RB - suddenly we have no RB either.

Well Germano has played a game and a half for the NYL now.

So why not have him on the bench as he could play either full back positions or midfield. That way it allows us to have an extra forward on the bench

• Like 1

So why not have him on the bench as he could play either full back positions or midfield. That way it allows us to have an extra forward on the bench

I agree. Fair enough if he still needs time, but he seems like the perfect bench option, as he can play a variety of roles for us. I would have thought that if he wasn't expecting to be right to go before the Asian Cup break, you might as well wrap him in cotton wool altogether until the trip to Abu Dhabi, rather than playing him in the youth team.

I'd be very surprised if he wasn't right in the mix for Central Coast. 

Because in the process of sitting on the bench he would almost certainly do his ACL.

If Miller (injury replacement) is in the squad, Germano surely couldn't be.

It is surprising, as I really don't see what the difference is in them playing alongside each other in the youth team. Of course, we do have the option to extend Miller until the end of the season, though I'd imagine everyone here would be very reluctant to do that.

If Miller (injury replacement) is in the squad, Germano surely couldn't be.

It is surprising, as I really don't see what the difference is in them playing alongside each other in the youth team. Of course, we do have the option to extend Miller until the end of the season, though I'd imagine everyone here would be very reluctant to do that.

I think Miller is now covering for Murdocca until 5th of jan.