Melbourne Football

Transfer Talk, Rumours and Speculation

jw1739

Why not?  He wasn't marquee at victory was he? 

he was on one of those dodgy loan deals - you know the ones that you paid everything up front on, that were allowed until we wanted to sign Lampard (incidentally am I the only finding it ironic that the FFA are supposedly concerned that top players aren't coming here, with Frankie specifically named as an example?).

i think Tesla's hunch makes the most sense. Anyway it's still all speculation.

I think signing Troisi depends on what is going on with Mooy. 

If we say this article is true, then Mooy is either gone or is Aus Marquee. http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/football/melbourne-city-sign-fulhams-aaron-hughes-but-aaron-mooy-keen-for-europe-move/story-fni2wcjl-1227440649219 .

If Mooy is gone (seems unlikely atm imo), then there isn't an obvious reason why Troisi would pick WSW over us.

If Mooy is staying and now Marquee, then you'd think we are offering Troisi somewhere around Mooy's old wage, which WSW can beat after letting go of like 3/4 of their squad and no Aus Marquee yet afaik. 

Maybe I'm being too optimistic, but the second scenario sounds the most likely. I think our facilities and global connections are keeping us in the running and Troisi, like Zullo, probably wants a 1 year deal and to go back to Europe after a successful season here.

Edited by bellydrum

AFAIK (transfermarkt) Troisi is actually a Juventus player and his last gig was on loan to Wagarem in the Belgian Jupiter League. So, unfortunately, his wages will now be determined under the "Lampard Rule" (many, many thanks FFA)  so we won't have any leeway in that respect. 

I think signing Troisi depends on what is going on with Mooy. 

If we say this article is true, then Mooy is either gone or is Aus Marquee. http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/football/melbourne-city-sign-fulhams-aaron-hughes-but-aaron-mooy-keen-for-europe-move/story-fni2wcjl-1227440649219 .

If Mooy is gone (seems unlikely atm imo), then there isn't an obvious reason why Troisi would pick WSW over us.

If Mooy is staying and now Marquee, then you'd think we are offering Troisi somewhere around Mooy's old wage, which WSW can beat after letting go of like 3/4 of their squad and no Aus Marquee yet afaik. 

Maybe I'm being too optimistic, but the second scenario sounds the most likely. I think our facilities and global connections are keeping us in the running and Troisi, like Zullo, probably wants a 1 year deal and to go back to Europe after a successful season here.

That really narrows it down... 

AFAIK (transfermarkt) Troisi is actually a Juventus player and his last gig was on loan to Wagarem in the Belgian Jupiter League. So, unfortunately, his wages will now be determined under the "Lampard Rule" (many, many thanks FFA)  so we won't have any leeway in that respect. 

Yeah, can't see him being anything but marquee. Even if he was released by Juventus to come here, he'd probably want to keep earning good money.

Velaphi

Franjic   Kisnorbo   Chapman   Zullo

Fartaluu

Koren   Mooy

Novillo   Gameiro   Troisi

Win the league

Edited by strider
  • Like 2

Mooy is undoubtedly a gun, no question... and the two goals were brilliant.

But cmon, his touch for alot of the match was as rusty as many of the others out there.  Amongst the blinded, surely I wasn't the only one here to see that. 

To me that's normal and despite how shit we played, we are into the next round. 

Of course it will be inexcusable if that sort of shit is still happening by round 1, injuries or whatever other reason.

• Like 1

Velaphi

Franjic   Kisnorbo   Chapman   Zullo

Fartaluu

Koren   Mooy

Novillo   Gameiro   Troisi

Win the league

*finish third or fourth and get dumped out in the semi's. 

• Like 2

What's the alternative you are proposing to a decent visa GK? Tando is hardly the most reliable 'keeper we could have, and I haven't yet seen a suggestion on here for a local alternative that meets with any real support.

GKs can go on a lot longer than outfield players. I take it you also condemn the signing of Hughes as another waste of a visa spot? Mind you, I wouldn't disagree with you on the latter...

Yes I condemn the Hughes signing, we now have two old slow centre backs instead of one. Regarding the keeper position it was probably the position of least concern last season. Tando did very well. Victory won everything with fucking Coe. Tando is more than adequate. But we'll prob waste the visa spot in a keeper that has already retired. Sounds like a JVS thing to do. 

• Like 3

What's the alternative you are proposing to a decent visa GK? Tando is hardly the most reliable 'keeper we could have, and I haven't yet seen a suggestion on here for a local alternative that meets with any real support.

GKs can go on a lot longer than outfield players. I take it you also condemn the signing of Hughes as another waste of a visa spot? Mind you, I wouldn't disagree with you on the latter...

Tando is adequate, last season proved that.

And I actually don't mind the Hughes signing but we could very well get caught out if we play him alongside Kisnorbo against the quicker sides, but that's beside the point.

JVS said post-match that 2 players will be signed before the next FFA Cup match, and the next FFA Cup match is less than 4 weeks away. So 2 new signings should be announced before the end of the month.

Also he said Franjic, Koren and Marino will start full training next week. Furthermore with Gameiro now training with the ball he shouldn't be too far off.

As is normally the case with A-League sides, if Melbourne City can get most of its playing list on the pitch then there should be a real upturn in results and performances. 

Very disappointing though that the team we will see for the A-League campaign is far from being fully assembled at this stage.

I wouldn't agree with us having a good squad last year. Some good players yes, but starting the season with no left back and the worst starting goalkeeper and worst starting centre back in the league our squad had massive problems.

People will be saying more or less the exact same things at the end of this season. Let's not forget that we went into last season as clear favorites with all the bookmakers. 

Squads have been 80% turned over every season but yet we've always been shit. Look at the common denominators.

• Like 3

Any more news on the aussie marque status?
Is it worth having a go at luring Troisi back to Melbourne but obviously this time to play for better Melbourne side.  with our facilities and connections abroad he may find it appealing to come play here could slot in nicely for us.

Seems interesting at this stage that neither us or the tards have an aussie marque yet.

Mooy could easily fill the spot just wondering if we are chasing someone else. Time will tell. No doubt our facilities and ties overseas has kept Mooy with us and maybe that is why he is staying one more season, More game time professional environement.

Any more news on the aussie marque status?
Is it worth having a go at luring Troisi back to Melbourne but obviously this time to play for better Melbourne side.  with our facilities and connections abroad he may find it appealing to come play here could slot in nicely for us.

Seems interesting at this stage that neither us or the tards have an aussie marque yet.

Mooy could easily fill the spot just wondering if we are chasing someone else. Time will tell. No doubt our facilities and ties overseas has kept Mooy with us and maybe that is why he is staying one more season, More game time professional environement.

I'm not sure if Troisi would come. Saw him on Instagram in his Victory suit and tie at the grand final celebrating with the players. I don't think he would jump ship.

People will be saying more or less the exact same things at the end of this season. Let's not forget that we went into last season as clear favorites with all the bookmakers. 

Squads have been 80% turned over every season but yet we've always been shit. Look at the common denominators.

Yeah the bookmakers said we were favourites and everyone else laughed at them.

not really.

Yes, really. 

Go to the nearest to the pin thread and see how many of us had City in the top 4 last preseason. To save you the trouble, the answer is not many.

The only reason the bookies had us as favourites was because of Villa and the false belief that CFG was going to turn us into a contender straight away.

• Like 1

Two players to be signed/announced sometime before the Round of 16? I'm going to suggest one is El Tuna. If the other is to be Thomas Sorensen, he set out on his ride across America on 23rd June for 52 days, so by my reckoning he's got about 8 days to go - meaning he's still a possible.

Yes, really. 

Go to the nearest to the pin thread and see how many of us had City in the top 4 last preseason. To save you the trouble, the answer is not many.

The only reason the bookies had us as favourites was because of Villa and the false belief that CFG was going to turn us into a contender straight away.

Pretty much this.

Anyone who had watched heart/city previously realised it was going to take more then 1 or 2 players to fix this trainreck lol

no, I was saying that before last season even started and I was far from the only one. In fact some of the legitimate criticisms of JVS are the failure to even trial a left back and the continued selection of Redmayne despite no evidence to suggest he was A League standard (we did sign a centre back, but he was ill, so that at least was excusable). The odds on us offered by the bookies were a joke and we all knew it.

this season the squad looks much better, with the sole substantial area of concern being the lack of a 15 goal striker. Again this isn't an excuse, a normal club & gaffer would make signing a top striker their priority.

I guess what I was really pointing out was that poor recruitment& selection were areas that Melbourne City (JVS is head of recruitment) performed poorly at last year. 

• Like 1

no, I was saying that before last season even started and I was far from the only one. In fact some of the legitimate criticisms of JVS are the failure to even trial a left back and the continued selection of Redmayne despite no evidence to suggest he was A League standard (we did sign a centre back, but he was ill, so that at least was excusable). The odds on us offered by the bookies were a joke and we all knew it.

this season the squad looks much better, with the sole substantial area of concern being the lack of a 15 goal striker. Again this isn't an excuse, a normal club & gaffer would make signing a top striker their priority.

I guess what I was really pointing out was that poor recruitment& selection were areas that Melbourne City (JVS is head of recruitment) performed poorly at last year. 

I'm going to wait until we've actually completed the squad before I make any predictions. At the moment I'd say we're nowhere near the benchmarks clubs of MV and Sydney, but we have so many gaps and injuries that predictions for the season are unwise.

I agree with Murphy that it's so disappointing to see us dragging our feet (again...) in getting the squad together especially a key position such as first-choice striker. JvS is so bloody cautious I don't think he could move quick enough to catch a bus.

• Like 1

Two players to be signed/announced sometime before the Round of 16? I'm going to suggest one is El Tuna. If the other is to be Thomas Sorensen, he set out on his ride across America on 23rd June for 52 days, so by my reckoning he's got about 8 days to go - meaning he's still a possible.

I think you're right and those 2 players will be signed.

Also I reckon the plan is to secure Mooy for next season (and perhaps beyond) by re-signing him as our Australian marquee. And perhaps if Mooy were to leave for Europe the club would move to sign James Troisi as our Australian marquee (he'd need marquee wages), hence the media links.

For my money though a big enough European club won't put forward a serious concrete offer for Mooy this transfer window, with the assurances of ample game time he'd need to upgrade on his current situation (where he's an A-League star who has been regularly making Socceroos squads [when he's not injured]). I can't wait though for the European transfer window to slam shut in 4 weeks, guaranteeing that Mooy will play for the club next season.

• jw1739 pinned this topic