Melbourne Football

Transfer Talk, Rumours and Speculation

jw1739

FFA will consider any rule change as long as it benefits Sydney or Victory (or better still, both).

But that cynicism aside...progress on our further signings looks to have stalled...?

I tend to agree with you. After all El Tuna news surfaced a while back and if he is going to play for City next season, he should be arriving soon. Ditto Sorrenson.

I tend to agree with you. After all El Tuna news surfaced a while back and if he is going to play for City next season, he should be arriving soon. 

My guess is they would be trialling Tuna in Manchester to check if he's any good.  If he is they can then send him straight to New York.

• Like 3

My guess is they would be trialling Tuna in Manchester to check if he's any good.  If he is they can then send him straight to New York.

NYCFC have no more international spots left in their squad. They just had to cancel the transfer of a badly-needed defender at the last minute because MLS wouldn't allow them to register him. They wouldn't want Fornaroli if they could get him.

NYCFC have no more international spots left in their squad. They just had to cancel the transfer of a badly-needed defender at the last minute because MLS wouldn't allow them to register him. They wouldn't want Fornaroli if they could get him.

ahh Falastur why let the facts get in the way of a good story?

Edited by Shahanga

I still there is something 'different' going on with Germano. We still havent signed another keeper with the preseason in full swing and the only delay that is logical, is its a sisa signing that takes negotiation and time for him to fly to AUS etc

Samaras ?????

the construction worker from the Southern European nation has been absent from work, so no news on this signing ?

He's gone on strike because he's being forced to work for his wage.

His mate was gonna go with him to complain because they gave his job to the Albanian guy who was willing to do the work, but he was up 3-2 in backgammon so stayed at the cafe to finish it off (best of 7).

• Like 2

If Germano is re-signed then the only logical thing is to sign him for 2 years since he will not be counted as a visa player next season

Poor argument IMO. He'll still occupy a spot that we could fill with someone better and who just might be able to get on the park.

Anyway, I hope we finalise the squad soon. Then I won't have to look at this thread, or the Germano one, or the Samaras one...

• Like 2

Poor argument IMO. He'll still occupy a spot that we could fill with someone better and who just might be able to get on the park.

Anyway, I hope we finalise the squad soon. Then I won't have to look at this thread, or the Germano one, or the Samaras one...

I think it would be very hard to find an Australian better than Germano (considering ability, age, experience in the a-league, and versatility) 

If you also consider he will most likely be costing the club minimum wage in his second season with the new "veteran rule" that would see a large portion of his wage not included in the salary cap.

I figure the only player we could relate him with on the same wages would be a youth team player. 

• Like 1

A-League clubs set to be allowed two foreign marquee players

CARLY ADNO & MATT WINDLEY

JULY 30, 2015 

A-LEAGUE clubs will soon be permitted to sign two international players outside of the salary cap, with Football Federation Australia considering a major change to the marquee structure.

The current rule states that one of the two marquee spots available must be filled by an Australian player, but it’s becoming increasingly difficult for clubs to find Australian footballers who fit the “marquee” status.

At the same time, it’s understood FFA has noted with some concern as football superstars Didier Drogba, Andrea Pirlo and Frank Lampard, all briefly linked with moves to the A-League, have instead opted to sign for Major League Soccer clubs in the United States.

Nothing has been set in stone as yet, but discussions have been ongoing and it’s believed most A-League clubs would support the change.

It allows some flexibility, as they would be able to fill their marquee spots with either two Australian players, two international players, or one of each.

The only question mark regards the timing of the change, which is expected to be announced before the start of the season. It would benefit some clubs, such as the Western Sydney Wanderers who have signed Federico Piovaccari as their international marquee, but are without an Australian marquee after losing Matthew Spiranovic and would now be able to bring in another foreign player outside of the salary cap.

There would be no such luxury for city rivals Sydney FC, who have already filled both marquee spots — Alex Brosque is the Australian marquee and Slovakian Filip Holosko has filled the international spot — and were forced to fit the returning Milos Dimitrijevic under the salary cap.

While the change would certainly benefit Sydney, Melbourne City and Melbourne Victory in the long-run by allowing them to splash out on the best possible talent, it’s likely to have very little impact on cash-strapped clubs Newcastle Jets and the Central Coast Mariners, who are unlikely to be in positions to sign marquee players anyway.

Still, it’s believed they support the initiative as it would benefit the A-League as a whole to have more international stars playing in it.

While FFA wouldn’t elaborate on the issue, they did confirm the change has been spoken about.

“As part of our annual end of season review of the A-League that incorporates all stakeholders, FFA is considering the current rules around marquee players,” an FFA spokesperson said.

Interestingly, FFA is free to implement new structures as it sees fit as there is no Collective Bargaining Agreement in place. The previous one expired on June 30 and the FFA and players union remain locked in negotiations regarding a new CBA.

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sport/football/a-league-clubs-set-to-be-allowed-two-foreign-marquee-players/story-fnk6pqot-1227463919171

If true and the Australian Marquee changes to a second international this would  definitely give the League a massive boost. 

The major issue I see is that it's so late into pre season. Most clubs have put together their squads and this sort of change reeks of bumbling incompetence. 

No doubt it would allow us to get a genuine Marquee and really boost our side.

Having 2 big names per team would really change the League and for the better.

Edited by Jovan

If true and the Australian Marquee changes to a second international this would  definitely give the League a massive boost. 

The major issue I see is that it's so late into pre season. Most clubs have put together their squads and this sort of change reeks of bumbling incompetence. 

No doubt it would allow us to get a genuine Marquee and really boost our side.

Having 2 big names per team would really change the League and for the better.

Their are some clubs that cant afford one let alone two 

Jimmy Briand! 

Lyon attacking connection with Novillo would be amazeballs. 

The lesser clubs won't mind this one would think due to the upcoming TV Rights negotiations. The better the product, the more money paid, the more the clubs should get. 

Probably won't come in for the upcoming season though as Sydney already have 2 marquees. And also Victory have 5 visa players. It is the FFA...

Edited by billyheart

Adelaide United chairman Greg Griffin believes new marquee rule would ruin A-League

Val Migliaccio

July 31, 2015

ADELAIDE United chairman Greg Griffin believes clubs being allowed to play two marquee players of any nationality would ruin the A-League competition’s balance.

Football Federation Australia is considering changing the marquee structure for the new season.

The current rule states that one of the two marquee spots which sit outside the salary cap must be filled by an Australian player.

“Simon Pearce (Melbourne City vice chairman) and Anthony Di Pietro (Melbourne Victory) thought it was a great idea,’’ Griffin said.

“I sent an email to all the clubs and FFA saying I completely oppose this and I want it brought back for a full and proper discussion.

“Basically it’s giving Victory a very significant advantage over Adelaide.

“We’re here for Adelaide we’re not here to boost Melbourne Victory’s prospects.

“We’re going to fight it.”

Adelaide has Socceroo Eugene Galekovic and Argentine Marcelo Carrusca taking their marquee spots.

Adelaide’s foreign quota is also full with Carrusca, Iacopo La Rocca, Sergio Cirio, Isaias and Pablo Sanchez putting the club on the five-imports limit like Victory. FFA is expected to finalise a decision on the marquee player status next week.

“The FFA have not yet said that’s what they’re going to do,’’ Griffin said.

“There was a meeting of the clubs and very few of the chairmen were present.

“I think a number of other clubs oppose it and I think it gives a further significant financial advantage to our friends on the eastern seaboard. And there’s no justification for it.”

Griffin said clubs must have financially responsible management or risk of going under.

He said Adelaide would not be able to compete with other clubs for marquee players.

“We’re are not going to stand and suddenly throw the money that Victory does at players,’’ he said. “When they get the derbies in Melbourne, they’ve got stadiums that hold significantly greater numbers than Coopers Stadium.

“We think Coopers is a better stadium but if you’re looking for a return on investment it’s a lot easier for Melbourne or Sydney to get a significant return on a million dollar player than it is for Adelaide.

“Melbourne Victory can stand back now and not having an Australian marquee and they’ve had ample time to get an Australian marquee.

“But now they can off and buy another Berisha for a million dollars which gives them an enormous advantage.”

Griffin is also charged with being the chief negotiator for the clubs for a new collective bargaining agreement which expired on June 30.

He believes the CBA “will be fixed” before the start of the season.

http://www.foxsports.com.au/football/a-league/adelaide-united-chairman-greg-griffin-believes-new-marquee-rule-would-ruin-a-league/story-e6frf4il-1227465303238

I believe it's a good rule but it should wait until next season, you can't shift the goalposts mid transfer-window when squads are already being finalised.

surely only those that are either retarded or have a vested interest would think otherwise (in regards to the unfairness of bringing it in now). 

As to whether it's a good idea, not sure. I think1 marquee is enough. It's original purpose was to bring in a Dwight Yorke, not have 2 Koren's.. Better off keeping the one and just raising the salary cap.

• Like 1

• jw1739 pinned this topic