Jump to content
Melbourne Football

Transfer Talk, Rumours and Speculation


jw1739

Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, Zanty said:

https://www.transfermarkt.com/ryan-edmondson/profil/spieler/559806

Could be a stretch but this player just recently started following Melbourne City on Instagram

6'2 21 Year Old England Youth International, if the player is signing no idea if its a loan from leeds or a permanent deal but could be a handy backup to Maclaren

I rather we develop Raphael a bit more.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Zanty said:

https://www.transfermarkt.com/ryan-edmondson/profil/spieler/559806

Could be a stretch but this player just recently started following Melbourne City on Instagram

6'2 21 Year Old England Youth International, if the player is signing no idea if its a loan from leeds or a permanent deal but could be a handy backup to Maclaren

He's been on a series of loans from Leeds, most recently with Port Vale in League 2. No thanks. We should not be wasting visa places on "back-ups."

Link to comment
Share on other sites

We will have 2-3 visa slots free next season (Depending on Pucciarelli staying or not) and realistically we are only going to use one Starting XI position on a visa which would be metcalfe's replacement, so the other 1-2 I dont mind, we dont even have a backup 9 atm

Link to comment
Share on other sites

24 minutes ago, MHFC-FAN said:

What a massive slide this guy has had... I knew he left us way too soon and unsurprisingly flopped in Europe 

My feeling is that it was the first move - to Celtic - that was the cause. The ACL injury was unfortunate, but Celtic was such a poor choice anyway. He'd have been better to go to a decent League 1 club where he had a chance of regular match time.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, jw1739 said:

My feeling is that it was the first move - to Celtic - that was the cause. The ACL injury was unfortunate, but Celtic was such a poor choice anyway. He'd have been better to go to a decent League 1 club where he had a chance of regular match time.

I reckon he would have been better of going to a league in continental europe rather than a british isles league.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

My opinion is he would have been better to stay with us and perhaps play more than 30 minutes a game. He left with ability alone, not enough game time not enough resilience over 90 minutes. Not enough minutes in general. Basically, mirror the path Metcalfe and Atkinson have taken. 

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

28 minutes ago, n i k o said:

My opinion is he would have been better to stay with us and perhaps play more than 30 minutes a game. He left with ability alone, not enough game time not enough resilience over 90 minutes. Not enough minutes in general. Basically, mirror the path Metcalfe and Atkinson have taken. 

Maybe so. But who's at fault here? He stayed within CFG and signed with Manchester City and it went wrong from there. Atkinson and Metcalfe have followed a different path. Atkinson is doing well and it remains to be seen how Metcalfe goes.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

22 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

Maybe so. But who's at fault here? He stayed within CFG and signed with Manchester City and it went wrong from there. Atkinson and Metcalfe have followed a different path. Atkinson is doing well and it remains to be seen how Metcalfe goes.

Atkinson and Metcalfe have been regular starters, Arzani wasn't. Arzani was coached by Wazza

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, belaguttman said:

Atkinson and Metcalfe have been regular starters, Arzani wasn't. Arzani was coached by Wazza

I suspect Wazza was actually good for Arzani. Think he needed that sort of discipline and structure. Just as Wazza got the best out of the fat Scotsman, who was a mess before and after, but brilliant and happy for us.

  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, fensaddler said:

I suspect Wazza was actually good for Arzani. Think he needed that sort of discipline and structure. Just as Wazza got the best out of the fat Scotsman, who was a mess before and after, but brilliant and happy for us.

He certainly needed some discipline and structure, but from a coach who would improve him. I don't know what happened in training but, on the field during matches, Wazza seemed to always be telling him to do something different from what he was doing - that should have been happening during training

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, belaguttman said:

He certainly needed some discipline and structure, but from a coach who would improve him. I don't know what happened in training but, on the field during matches, Wazza seemed to always be telling him to do something different from what he was doing - that should have been happening during training

Sounds familiar somehow...?

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, belaguttman said:

He certainly needed some discipline and structure, but from a coach who would improve him. I don't know what happened in training but, on the field during matches, Wazza seemed to always be telling him to do something different from what he was doing - that should have been happening during training

My recollection of all the yelling Wazza directed towards Arzani was essentially yelling at him to track back n keep working. Which imo was warranted.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 hours ago, jw1739 said:

Maybe so. But who's at fault here? He stayed within CFG and signed with Manchester City and it went wrong from there. Atkinson and Metcalfe have followed a different path. Atkinson is doing well and it remains to be seen how Metcalfe goes.

I get the point, but from what id heard arzani had basically said he was going either way so cfg either decided they wanted to keep in the stable or they cashed in.

And they kept him in the stable cos they thought he was good enough.

Ultimately i think his downfall has been a combination of shit attitude and not finding his way back after doing his knee, which is far from uncommon.

He def left at least one season too early and tbh, his tale has been almost the go to as far as cautionary ones go ever since; every talented kid geta pointed to arzani when they get a couple foreign offers.

Edited by bt50
  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 hours ago, jw1739 said:

Maybe so. But who's at fault here? He stayed within CFG and signed with Manchester City and it went wrong from there. Atkinson and Metcalfe have followed a different path. Atkinson is doing well and it remains to be seen how Metcalfe goes.

True Metcalfe hasn't played yet but as far as his playing career in the aleague is concerned he is an important part of the starting eleven, directly responsible for being part of a championship winning team for two seasons running, been capped for the socceroos. He's at a point where staying here probably won't accelerate his development without more challenging opposition. So for me how he goes is irrelevant to his decision to leave. Its 100% his time to give it a crack. Contrary to Arzani.

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 19/6/2022 at 5:58 PM, malloy said:

My recollection of all the yelling Wazza directed towards Arzani was essentially yelling at him to track back n keep working. Which imo was warranted.

Yes, Arzani is a luxury player these days. All would be forgiven if he were scoring regularly, but he isn't. My point is that this should be coached in training, not during the match

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, belaguttman said:

Yes, Arzani is a luxury player these days. All would be forgiven if he were scoring regularly, but he isn't. My point is that this should be coached in training, not during the match

I disagree to an extent. If a player isn't pulling their weight on the pitch the coach and team mates should tell them. Noting that its not a black and white scenario of just subbing them or dropping them next week. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

22 minutes ago, malloy said:

I disagree to an extent. If a player isn't pulling their weight on the pitch the coach and teammates should tell them. Noting that its not a black and white scenario of just subbing them or dropping them next week. 

Yes, it's not black and white. Real-life isn't ideal, but the ideal matchday scenario would see every player having a clear idea of their role in the team during various stages of play. This should happen on the training field

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I have very mixed feelings about this. Who are the most "successful" coaches, and do they fit a pattern? Is it the ones who are hopping up and down on the touchline screaming their heads off throughout the match, or the more reflective ones who trust the players to do the job they've been coached to do and make a tweak or two as the match progresses? Also I think it's a shame if the game hasn't got room for talented players who can't last the 90 minutes at full pace. After all, some great athletes are sprinters and some are distance runners.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, belaguttman said:

Yes, it's not black and white. Real-life isn't ideal, but the ideal matchday scenario would see every player having a clear idea of their role in the team during various stages of play. This should happen on the training field

I agree they should have a clear idea of their role. But I considered Wazza yelling at Arzani wasn't about telling him what his role was, rather it was yelling at him for not doing it.

As you say Arzani is a luxury player, and being as good (skillwise) as he was for his age, he is probably used to being in youth teams where a certain level of shirking his defensive responsibilities was tolerated. 

But Wazza isn't someone who puts up with people shirking their responsibilities, even more so defensive responsibilities.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 hours ago, jw1739 said:

I have very mixed feelings about this. Who are the most "successful" coaches, and do they fit a pattern? Is it the ones who are hopping up and down on the touchline screaming their heads off throughout the match, or the more reflective ones who trust the players to do the job they've been coached to do and make a tweak or two as the match progresses? Also I think it's a shame if the game hasn't got room for talented players who can't last the 90 minutes at full pace. After all, some great athletes are sprinters and some are distance runners.

Some quiet coaches have assistants that do all the yelling.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, neio said:

 

So I guess we deduce that Griff has left us? Either not offered an extension or rejected the offer? Good servant of the club through difficult COVID times - thanks Griff!

1 hour ago, fensaddler said:

I have a feeling that it could be big. And I don't think Mooy is too big.

Contract extension for Pucci.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...