Melbourne Football

Transfer Talk, Rumours and Speculation

jw1739

1 hour ago, Jovan said:

Very good question. 

I think we are guaranteed 1 quality Visa. Whether Brattan signs or extends his loan is very puzzling you'd think it would have been done earlier. 

My theory is and it is just a theory that we are waiting on the latest cap announcement.  The clubs recently rejected the 3.55 million and want 4 million as a minimum. So maybe that extra space will be used on Brattan plus the last visa.

I'll be a bit dissapointed if we start the season without using all our visa places but not overly.

I have faith in what's been done so far and really look forward to this season. 

That cap atm is at 2.9 AFAIK? 3.55-4 is a huge jump. 

6 minutes ago, Baka1 said:

That cap atm is at 2.9 AFAIK? 3.55-4 is a huge jump. 

Could be wrong but I thought the rejected 3.55 million was grant money the clubs receive from FFA  not the actual Salary Cap. Which seems the case according to this article.

http://www.smh.com.au/sport/soccer/aleague-club-owners-set-to-reject-ffa-funding-model-20170627-gwzr49.html

Just so happens that each club was receiving 2.6 million in Grant Money previously which was exactly the same as the salary cap. So I can see how Jovan may have thought they were going to increase the salary cap. 

Edited by DFG_82
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, DFG_82 said:

Could be wrong but I thought the rejected 3.55 million was grant money the clubs receive from FFA  not the actual Salary Cap. Which seems the case according to this article.

http://www.smh.com.au/sport/soccer/aleague-club-owners-set-to-reject-ffa-funding-model-20170627-gwzr49.html

Just so happens that each club was receiving 2.6 million in Grant Money previously which was exactly the same as the salary cap. So I can see how Jovan may have thought they were going to increase the salary cap. 

Mmmm  there goes my theory. 

Now it's more of a case of these dumb cunts have again ballsed up another season not being able to fully utilize all the available visa spots. 

3 minutes ago, Jovan said:

Now it's more of a case of these dumb cunts have again ballsed up another season not being able to fully utilize all the available visa spots. 

I hope you're wrong and that we have a couple of unknown gems still to announce. But I'm pessimistic and tend to think that you are right.

14 minutes ago, Jovan said:

Ive got absolutely no doubt in my mind whatsoever we'll still get at least one quality visa player.

I dont mind if we dont use the other spot straight away due to cap restrictions, given i think our squad is in very good nick regardless. It also offers us the option of getting a better player in the January window if someone was to leave, get injured or simply in a case where 55k divided by 13 games gets us a better return in playing quality than 55k divided by 27 games.

Maybe the club is preparing early for the league switching to 4+1 Visa policy in 18/19 and doesn't want to get to a stage where they have 5 Visa players next season but can only keep four. I suppose they could sign an AFC player with one of the remaining 2 spots but maybe not enough money left in the Cap and they could be preferring an non-AFC player. 

3 minutes ago, DFG_82 said:

Maybe the club is preparing early for the league switching to 4+1 Visa policy in 18/19 and doesn't want to get to a stage where they have 5 Visa players next season but can only keep four. I suppose they could sign an AFC player with one of the remaining 2 spots but maybe not enough money left in the Cap and they could be preferring an non-AFC player. 

1 year contract. 

1 hour ago, DFG_82 said:

nico martinez to be announced by WSW this afternoon.

Wasn't Martinez. He's still available.

7 minutes ago, DFG_82 said:

Thoughts? Rather have Troisi IMO

I rate Milligan higher, but would rather Troisi in our team based purely around the personnel we already have.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Dylan said:

Ooo no Martinez so we could still nab him

Milligan is worth more than 800k wtf are visitors doing

Any Idea what the club offered Martinez? Would assume its under the cap if we are offering Troisi the Marquee spot. Would like Martinez as well but the clubs priority should be a defender with Franjic leaving not sure we can sign both under the cap. 

7 minutes ago, DFG_82 said:

Any Idea what the club offered Martinez? Would assume its under the cap if we are offering Troisi the Marquee spot. Would like Martinez as well but the clubs priority should be a defender with Franjic leaving not sure we can sign both under the cap. 

Isnt Martinez still contracted in Greece? We can't just "snap" him up as some refer. We don't pay transfer fees so we have to loan him again, if the player and owner club agrees.

1 minute ago, Mr MO said:

Isnt Martinez still contracted in Greece? We can't just "snap" him up as some refer. We don't pay transfer fees so we have to loan him again, if the player and owner club agrees.

Who says we dont pay transfer fees? We did for Caceres...

I'd be happy enough with Martinez for marquee, although I'm not sure I'd prefer him over Troisi.

4 minutes ago, Mr MO said:

Yes and there was an article a few months ago about us sniffing around and potentially buying hi,

9 minutes ago, Dylan said:

Yes and there was an article a few months ago about us sniffing around and potentially buying hi,

That would be amazing. We as in our Melbourne club (for smarty pantsy Jeff) never paid a single dollar for a foreign transfer, please correct me if I'm wrong. Not only are club transfers in the league taboo. I have a feeling, we want to be a developing club for younger players as well pick up good ones for free.

Edited by Mr MO

6 hours ago, bt50 said:

At a guess I reckon we'd have Franjic's wage and maybe 50-100k left after signing Brattan. Assuming we sign Troisi as marquee, I reckon with that we'll go for a VISA CB and the final visa will be a minimum wage signing, if we sign one at all, and will be more speculative than anything else. Ideally a RB fits the bill, but it wouldnt bother me if it was a winger either.  I know Manny and Pierias aren't world beaters or sexy options, but i think they could definitely do a job if we end up being as strong as I think we are. I almost certainly think we'll only take a minimum squad into the season, and use our scholarships as our injury cover if need be.

Galekovic

Bouzanis

Muscat           Jakobsen         Visa CB         Jamieson

Pierias             La Rocca         Tongyik         Metcalfe

Kilkenny           Brattan

Genreau           Malik

Troisi

Caceres

Fitzgerald              Fornaroli           Brandan

Kamau                      Cahill                Arzani

Roberts, Delianov (GK), 5th Visa, Crowley

Use cahill as super sub i reckon

7 minutes ago, Mr MO said:

That would be amazing. We as in our Melbourne club (for smarty pantsy Jeff) never paid a single dollar for a foreign transfer, please correct me if I'm wrong. Not only are club transfers in the league taboo. I have a feeling, we want to be a developing club for younger players as well pick up good ones for free.

Transfer fees cannot be paid by one A-League club to another A-League club. A-League clubs can pay transfer fees to overseas clubs if they wish to.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, jw1739 said:

Transfer fees cannot be paid by one A-League club to another A-League club. A-League clubs can pay transfer fees to overseas clubs if they wish to.

Exactly, and just because we haven't paid a transfer fee yet, I in no way think the club would be objectively against it. We have our price of course, and that prob makes them unlikely, but i doubt we'd rule paying a fee out in the right circumstances.

23 minutes ago, bt50 said:

Exactly, and just because we haven't paid a transfer fee yet, I in no way think the club would be objectively against it. We have our price of course, and that prob makes them unlikely, but i doubt we'd rule paying a fee out in the right circumstances.

I would hope so one day, but I don't think CFG is allowing us to spend money on transfer fees as the return in investment is too low - we aren't making money as a club yet.

23 minutes ago, Hellenic Hero said:

Apparently Visitors have put in bids for Martinez and Vidosic as well

They can have them, where is our lauded scouting network, only recycled names keep coming up. I want a unknown a tropical sexy South American or African footballer......... 

Edited by Mr MO
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Mr MO said:

I would hope so one day, but I don't think CFG is allowing us to spend money on transfer fees as the return in investment is too low - we aren't making money as a club yet.

They can have them, where is our lauded scouting network, only recycled names keep coming up. I want a unknown a tropical sexy South American or African footballer......... 

And that my friend is the difference between you and I, you want sexy and new, i want reliable and proven given where we are at as a club.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, bt50 said:

And that my friend is the difference between you and I, you want sexy and new, i want reliable and proven given where we are at as a club.

I want the same as you mate, but I'm a realist too. Our league doesn't have the status or money yet to attract such players. And what you are saying, what's point in working on development of players and paying for scouts, if you want proven players? They have positively surprised us with Bruno and Brandan, why can't they do that again? 

Edited by Mr MO

17 minutes ago, Mr MO said:

I want the same as you mate, but I'm a realist too. Our league doesn't have the status or money yet to attract such players. And what you are saying, what's point in working on development of players and paying for scouts, if you want proven players? They have positively surprised us with Bruno and Brandan, why can't they do that again? 

Because we work in a salary capped league, that isnt a major league, on the other side of the planet. That means we can attract 2 players per season on whatever we can afford, and then the the rest have to meet stringent wage caps. Our scouts play a vital role in getting those players on cheaper wages and whether they will be good enough/successful enough here is based firstly on their judgement and secondly on their development here. Its not an open market of who can we get at these $$$ because half the time players aren't interested in coming to what is probably considered a 'footballing backwater'. 

The marquee spots in theory should absolutely be your best players. In the last three seasons we have wasted one of those spots on relative unknown quantities (at least to this league) that haven't provided the goods. All I'm saying is given where our list is at right at this point in time I would rather get a proven star at this level than take another punt. I'd rather be guaranteed an 8/10 player than have a 50% chance of a 10/10 player with the alternative being a 6/10 (or worse in Koren's case).

• Like 2

If we sign both Martinez and Troisi, Michael Petrillo's head and anyone else's needs to roll! If this happens it will be another season of shit defence, conceding too many goals, and losing games in the last 15 minutes.

3 hours ago, bt50 said:

Who says we dont pay transfer fees? We did for Caceres...

I'd be happy enough with Martinez for marquee, although I'm not sure I'd prefer him over Troisi.

You might be onto something, I'm a mistaken to think that Manchester paid for Caceras?

5 minutes ago, Mr MO said:

You might be onto something, I'm a mistaken to think that Manchester paid for Caceras?

Manchester City Paid a transfer fee for Caceras. Transfer Fees between A League Clubs are not allowed.  If by "We"" somebody means CFG then yes we did otherwise no. 

3 hours ago, DFG_82 said:

Manchester City Paid a transfer fee for Caceras. Transfer Fees between A League Clubs are not allowed.  If by "We"" somebody means CFG then yes we did otherwise no. 

AFAIK Manchester City paid CCM $300,000 for Caceres. He was immediately loaned back to us, thus circumventing the "no transfer fees" between A-League clubs.

As a result, FFA introduced the "Caceres Rule." As I understand this at present is that any player bought from an A-League club (club X) by an associate club of another A-League club (club Y) cannot play for club Y until one full A-League season has elapsed from the original transfer from club X.

Of course, because we are currently the only club with associate clubs overseas, we are the only club affected by this rule.

The irony of it is that the $300,000 enabled CCM to sign a marquee player.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, jw1739 said:

AFAIK Manchester City paid CCM $300,000 for Caceres. He was immediately loaned back to us, thus circumventing the "no transfer fees" between A-League clubs.

As a result, FFA introduced the "Caceres Rule." As I understand this at present is that any player bought from an A-League club (club X) by an associate club of another A-League club (club Y) cannot play for club Y until one full A-League season has elapsed from the original transfer from club X.

Of course, because we are currently the only club with associate clubs overseas, we are the only club affected by this rule.

The irony of it is that the $300,000 enabled CCM to sign a marquee player.

And instead other players, such as Mitch Austin, who were sought after, were released on a free and picked up by a stronger club, allowing CCM to reinvest .... umm nothing.

19 hours ago, jw1739 said:

I hope you're wrong and that we have a couple of unknown gems still to announce. But I'm pessimistic and tend to think that you are right.

Brandan and Colazo were announced relatively late in the transfer window last season.  Im confident that there will be movement on foreign players by CFG.

in other news Milligan has been offered $200k more by Victory than we offered Troisi.

http://theworldgame.sbs.com.au/article/2017/07/24/victory-closing-milligan-marquee-offer

44 minutes ago, Shahanga said:

And instead other players, such as Mitch Austin, who were sought after, were released on a free and picked up by a stronger club, allowing CCM to reinvest .... umm nothing.

yup it's fkn stupid.  the AL desperately needs transfer fees introduced so bigger clubs in more desirable locations cant keep cannibalising small clubs without having to pay compensation.

we are made out to be the bad guys when we are one of the few clubs that has actually paid for players.

Edited by nah brah
  • Like 2

• jw1739 pinned this topic