Melbourne Football

Transfer Talk, Rumours and Speculation

jw1739

I wouldn't take any of them. The World Game report suggests that they are trouble-makers in the squad. We don't need that at City.

I don't know how Madaschi has done since joining Newcastle, but if he is still as good as when he played for us, I would take him in a heart beat. He also seemed to be a good leader when with us.

pretty much the only time we were good was with him

Why oh why didn't Newcastle release Birighitti? The one player I'd take from Newcastle in a heartbeat.

Apart from him, there's no other really worthwhile players to be signed from Newcastle IMO. Their squad is more diabolical than ours was last season: it's full of squaddies, and senior players who don't really give the value that's expected of experienced players.

For starters, attitude looks to be an issue with the 5 players that Newcastle released, if only because those 5 players seemed to rebel a lot before the club released them. And then with players like Carney and Griffiths, their attitudes have long been questioned.

To go through the 5 players:

- Billy Celeski: the last thing Melbourne City needs is another midfielder

- Kew Jaliens: he's older than Wielaert. I rate him as a player, but signing another 36 year old Dutch CB doesn't seem like a wise move

- Adrian Madaschi: He's 32, and 2 or 3 years older now than when he played for Melbourne Heart. He trained with Perth at the start of the season and they overlooked him, and I haven't been impressed with what I've seen from Madaschi this season

- Joel Griffiths: Meh. He's 35, and has only scored 3 goals over 15 games this season (12 starts, 1026 minutes). A pretty good player IMO, and maybe would get several goals a season at a good A-League club.

- David Carney: I think there's an okay argument for Carney. He can play LB, and be an attacking LB, which is an important position for Melbourne City that arguably could be further strengthened. Not too old at 31. But then again I'm not a Carney fan, despite his 48 Socceroos appearances.

So maybe arguably there's a good stopgap signing or 2 to be signed from the Newcastle exodus, on the cheap and for the rest of the season. Maybe Griffiths or Carney could do alright for the remainder of the season. But at the end of the day they are all pretty meh players, and I wouldn't argue that the club should sign any of them. 

Edited by Murfy1

Why oh why didn't Newcastle release Birighitti? The one player I'd take from Newcastle in a heartbeat.

Apart from him, there's no other really worthwhile players to be signed from Newcastle IMO. Their squad is more diabolical than ours was last season: it's full of squaddies, and senior players who don't really give the value that's expected of experienced players.

For starters, attitude looks to be an issue with the 5 players that Newcastle released, if only because those 5 players seemed to rebel a lot before the club released them. And then with players like Carney and Griffiths, their attitudes have long been questioned.

To go through the 5 players:

- Billy Celeski: the last thing Melbourne City needs is another midfielder

- Kew Jaliens: he's older than Wielaert. I rate him as a player, but signing another 36 year old Dutch CB doesn't seem like a wise move

- Adrian Madaschi: He's 32, and 2 or 3 years older now than when he played for Melbourne Heart. He trained with Perth at the start of the season and they overlooked him, and I haven't been impressed with what I've seen from Madaschi this season

- Joel Griffiths: Meh. He's 35, and has only scored 3 goals over 15 games this season (12 starts, 1026 minutes). A pretty good player IMO, and maybe would get several goals a season at a good A-League club.

- David Carney: I think there's an okay argument for Carney. He can play LB, and be an attacking LB, which is an important position for Melbourne City that arguably could be further strengthened. Not too old at 31. But then again I'm not a Carney fan, despite his 48 Socceroos appearances.

So maybe arguably there's a good stopgap signing or 2 to be signed from the Newcastle exodus, on the cheap and for the rest of the season. Maybe Griffiths or Carney could do alright for the remainder of the season. But at the end of the day they are all pretty meh players, and I wouldn't argue that the club should sign any of them. 

To be honest Murfy I was impressed with Carney against us.

I would definitely sign him for the rest of the season and put him in the team for Sunday at left back or left wing

If I wasn't getting paid properly and thought my club was being run shoddily, I'd be a "trouble maker" too!

Agreed but I'd still be reluctant to sign any.

I think the only one of those who had had a decent season is Carney. Madaschi has been very disappointing (though is worth a thought, if the old AM could emerge) but worst of all has been Jaliens who looks SL2 level to me, so far past it it's not funny. No way he would be better than Robbie.

If I wasn't getting paid properly and thought my club was being run shoddily, I'd be a "trouble maker" too!

Agreed but I'd still be reluctant to sign any.

I think the only one of those who had had a decent season is Carney. Madaschi has been very disappointing (though is worth a thought, if the old AM could emerge) but worst of all has been Jaliens who looks SL2 level to me, so far past it it's not funny. No way he would be better than Robbie.

Agreed.

Madaschi didn't seem to be able to hold the defence together the way he did ours

Jaliens.... I have no words.

And we think WE have issues in defence!

Thing is though if a club has so many off-field issues, one of which being player payments, then it's pretty bloody hard to keep a team cohesive and competitive.

http://mobile.news.com.au/sport/football/newcastle-jets-crisis-deepens-with-sackings-of-five-senior-players-and-three-backroom-staff/story-fnk9bq39-1227199952557

I read this article and the thing that stood out to me most is they are expecting to sign two rival a league players in days can Williams be on of them?

We can only hope that is the case

• Like 1

http://mobile.news.com.au/sport/football/newcastle-jets-crisis-deepens-with-sackings-of-five-senior-players-and-three-backroom-staff/story-fnk9bq39-1227199952557

I read this article and the thing that stood out to me most is they are expecting to sign two rival a league players in days can Williams be on of them?

Wouldnt suprise me. I think the jets will pay him the money he is probably after

I note Tinkler's comments about the Jets having a "losing culture." I think we know what he's talking about.

I see, too, that the Jets are paying out what remains of the five players' contracts and making them leave the club, and then they're going to bring in five new players. Must mean they have room to do that under the cap. If not, then they've found a way around that issue.

Edited by jw1739

Pretty happy about this signing. Starting to look outside the box and not just signing the players that hop of the carousel of crap a-league squadies.

Plus he is cheap, with international experience

And with the AUD > SGD, he's definitely earning more than when he's with the LionsXII playing in the Malaysian league.

As a (ex)Singaporean, I couldn't be happier seeing a follow country man playing for us! Majulah Singapura!

Good to see another international player join the squad. I didn't get to watch either of the friendlies unfortunately, so I haven't seen him in action, but I look forward to seeing him and Clisby get their chances when the season picks up again in a few days.

I notice that Safuwan has only signed to the end of the season. Do you guys think he might stay longer if he does well, or is this just a stopgap measure before a more concerted look for a replacement in summer?

Firstly, I'm happy with the Safuwan signing - he seemed to have impressed in the trial games and Safuwan > Hoffuman!  ;)

Also, regarding the Newcastle 'releasees' - where in all this is Jeronimo Neuman? He isn't being played, yet he isn't being released!?! I would take Jeronimoooooooooo before any of the other has-beens!

Good to see another international player join the squad. I didn't get to watch either of the friendlies unfortunately, so I haven't seen him in action, but I look forward to seeing him and Clisby get their chances when the season picks up again in a few days.

I notice that Safuwan has only signed to the end of the season. Do you guys think he might stay longer if he does well, or is this just a stopgap measure before a more concerted look for a replacement in summer?

I reckon if he performs well, they'll keep him for next season.

I also think this initiative may have been related to FFA plan to change our 5 VISA players to 3 + 1 Asian...even though this looks likely to not be happening soon (A-League chiefs are set to backflip and not reduce visa spots for next season: http://au.fourfourtwo.com/forums/default.aspx?g=posts&t=98688).

There's been a surprising amount of support for Safuwan and his signing by Singaporean people. Maybe this will sneak attendance / views up a tad? Apparently they think he's one of the best in SE Asia / the asian Carlos Puyol.

100 games, 20 goals. So he can score!

Seems very exciting.

• Like 1

Yes, happy with this. We're not taking a big risk, and he could turn out to be a real find. If not, neither party loses anything.

massive gamble, will either pay off, or be a complete dud. looking forward to see what he has to offer

Well which is it! I can't handle this contradiction!

All player signings are risks. But I can't see this as a "massive gamble." It's just until the end of this season - half a season - and probably at or close to the minimum salary. So we're talking say $26,000 plus removal expenses etc. on a player who's young, has a good record, ready to play, and already has 140-odd minutes under his belt for us.

Look at this as an extended trial.

• Like 3

massive gamble, will either pay off, or be a complete dud. looking forward to see what he has to offer

There's no risk at all. If he's good, then we've unearthed a young player of worth who shouldn't cost us a bomb to keep on the list. If he's shit, it costs us effectively nothing and we don't offer him a contract at seasons end.

• Like 1

Safuwan could just be a decent stopgap signing for the remainder of this season. But if he plays pretty well I'm pretty confident that the club will sign him up at the end of the season. He's said he's keen to play overseas, and if Safuwan shows he can be a solid performer in the A-League then I'm pretty confident the club will snap him up for next season (if Safuwan can thrive in the A-League he'd be a very good value for money signing, which is the main reason why I'm confident that Melbourne City would snap him up. With the tough salary cap and squad rules, good value signings are worth their weight in gold).

• Like 1

• jw1739 pinned this topic