Melbourne Football

Transfer Talk, Rumours and Speculation

jw1739

1 hour ago, Zanty said:

Rado said that we are close to selling a couple of young players

Just look though the squad list and see who's under contract beyond this season. Other than Scholarship players, they are Bos, Talbot, Tilio.

I would say Bos is a certainty but I'm sure that the other two would have attracted attention this season.

Edited by jw1739

17 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

Just look though the squad list and see who's under contract beyond this season. Other than Scholarship players, they are Bos, Talbot, Tilio.

I would say Bos is a certainty but I'm sure that the other two would have attracted attention this season.

Surely Tilio is knocking on the door for a move overseas? I understand he's been a little hot and cold, but reckon he could give it a decent crack. Or do you think he needs one more season in the A-league?

@MHFC-FAN @Zanty It depends who's looking at the player(s) and for what position. I agree that Tilio is probably the second on the list but I wouldn't dismiss Talbot. He's still relatively young and has provided a lot of forward thrust this season.

I'm not sure about Scholarship contracts, whether they are binding or not, but there I can't see anyone there in that category who has had significant senior minutes.

Does a player need another season in the A-League? How long is a piece of string? Whenever you go it is rather unlikely that you are going to walk into a first-team starting place. The key thing to remember is that wherever you go there will be other players vying for selection as well and you're not going to get any special favours.

2 hours ago, MHFC-FAN said:

Surely Tilio is knocking on the door for a move overseas? I understand he's been a little hot and cold, but reckon he could give it a decent crack. Or do you think he needs one more season in the A-league?

Apart from being hot/cold, I think that Tilio has to work on his attitude. Watch the difference between Bos and Tilio: Bos rarely goes to ground and when he does he bounces straight back up, not so Tilio; then Bos is always running back to assist defence, Tilio is slow to get back to a position where he remains in the game.

4 hours ago, NewConvert said:

Apart from being hot/cold, I think that Tilio has to work on his attitude. Watch the difference between Bos and Tilio: Bos rarely goes to ground and when he does he bounces straight back up, not so Tilio; then Bos is always running back to assist defence, Tilio is slow to get back to a position where he remains in the game.

I've always thought of them as having somewhat different roles, Bos as a wing-back and Tilio as a winger, the right-side equivalent of Bos being Talbot rather than Tilio.

48 minutes ago, n i k o said:

Melbourne City are set to snatch Tunisian international Amor Layouni from the clutches of Western Sydney Wanderers, and lure the winger south for the 2023-2024 A-League Men season.

Err...Do we need another forward particularly a 30y.o visa forward? Maybe if Tilio goes overseas but not sure on this guy.

45 minutes ago, MHFC-FAN said:

Err...Do we need another forward particularly a 30y.o visa forward? Maybe if Tilio goes overseas but not sure on this guy.

Would be a terrible move imho.

I do like that N’gbakoto bloke they have though, I thought he has been impressive, but he's 31. Looks younger than Yengi.

10 hours ago, jw1739 said:

I've always thought of them as having somewhat different roles, Bos as a wing-back and Tilio as a winger, the right-side equivalent of Bos being Talbot rather than Tilio.

They have different roles. But going to ground easily and getting up quick applies to all players - and how often does Tilio get a foul anyway? Then there is the counter attack that needs to be defended and there are plenty games when Tilio does this. I only used Bos as a comparison.

1 hour ago, HughJass said:

Brining in experience for Asia? 

Tunisia is in Africa. Surely we would top up with Asian players...

59 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

Should double our attendances with all the Tunisians in Melbourne...

But seriously, I'm getting the feeling that we could see a changing of the guard next season.

Which guard?

Edited by jw1739

Hes a very good signing imo and will be an asset. Quick, tall, good with the ball.

Bos will be the hardest one to replace because full backs of that calibre are rare, and worth their weight in gold when teams park on you. Youre hardly going to use a marquee slot on that sort of position, but as we've seen all year, we are strong across the board and we'll make it work.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, NewConvert said:

Well if Layouni is meant to replace Tilio I presume that means that Rafa won't be around next season or for that matter Caputo.

I'd heard somewhere that Rafa had already signed somewhere else for next season. But we don't know who else is staying or leaving so a fair bit of this is going to be premature I guess. Tilio I suspect is gone, don't know about Nabbout, for example. We're going to get a few curveballs, but hopefully we'll have a while to wait yet because we have a final to play...

2 hours ago, NewConvert said:

Well if Layouni is meant to replace Tilio I presume that means that Rafa won't be around next season or for that matter Caputo.

Tilio is apparently 50/50 to stay another season. Rafa I believe is going elsewhere 

1 hour ago, fensaddler said:

I'd heard somewhere that Rafa had already signed somewhere else for next season. But we don't know who else is staying or leaving so a fair bit of this is going to be premature I guess. Tilio I suspect is gone, don't know about Nabbout, for example. We're going to get a few curveballs, but hopefully we'll have a while to wait yet because we have a final to play...

I'm hearing off to Adelaide which will be disappointing if true...

8 minutes ago, MHFC-FAN said:

Tilio is apparently 50/50 to stay another season. Rafa I believe is going elsewhere 

I'm hearing off to Adelaide which will be disappointing if true...

I've seen it posted on social media...

If Layouni is in hopefully having been here a year already will be good for him.

I hope Tilio stays another season.

12 minutes ago, moops said:

I've seen it posted on social media...

If Layouni is in hopefully having been here a year already will be good for him.

I hope Tilio stays another season.

What exactly have you seen posted on social media? Tilio leaving?

Layouni did quite well in a defensive team and only plated 10 games since his late arrival this season. If we are getting him, I believe he would be even better in our system! 

4 minutes ago, MHFC-FAN said:

What exactly have you seen posted on social media? Tilio leaving?

Layouni did quite well in a defensive team and only plated 10 games since his late arrival this season. If we are getting him, I believe he would be even better in our system! 

Sorry, Rafa leaving to Adelaide.

I think it was more the fact that Rudan didn't have to play Yengi, if he comes then he is ours and I'll support him.

6 minutes ago, moops said:

Sorry, Rafa leaving to Adelaide.

I think it was more the fact that Rudan didn't have to play Yengi, if he comes then he is ours and I'll support him.

Yeah all good mate, thought you meant one or the other...

Yes obviously there's going to be a number of new faces in the 11 next season, so far I'm optimistic with the names being touted so far!

22 hours ago, moops said:

Would be a terrible move imho.

I do like that N’gbakoto bloke they have though, I thought he has been impressive, but he's 31. Looks younger than Yengi.

Ngbakoto has not been very good for Wanderers, Layouni would be a class signing as could be argued as an upgrade

With Bos leaving and Jamo obviously not up to it anymore, we could do worse than sign up Callum Elder to cover Left back. His contract with Hull City has expired and will not be resigning. At 28 an ideal age for ALeague, although every chance stays in England

7 hours ago, Le Hack said:

With Bos leaving and Jamo obviously not up to it anymore, we could do worse than sign up Callum Elder to cover Left back. His contract with Hull City has expired and will not be resigning. At 28 an ideal age for ALeague, although every chance stays in England

That would be an amazing signing, doubtful he would come though, would probably want big money.

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Tommykins said:

Ashley Young has been linked with the club - a bit surprised to see we're getting linked with 37 year olds, that hasn't been our move recently.

Ashley Young from Aston Villa? If so, just doesn't seem to fit a policy of nurturing young players through the Academy and into the seniors. Still playing regularly though, and out of contract 30 Jun 2023.

59 minutes ago, bt50 said:

Wouldnt latch on to that too hard just yet, but irrespective of age he'd be a great get coming straight out of a 30 appearance Premier League season.

Not sure how exactly we'd fit him in cap/marquee wise though.

Absolutely. If there is any substance in it, I'd say the club would be looking at him for a role beyond his playing career as well.

https://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/ashley-youngs-hidden-role-aston-29848894

Edited by jw1739

4 hours ago, Tommykins said:

Ashley Young has been linked with the club - a bit surprised to see we're getting linked with 37 year olds, that hasn't been our move recently.

Are we sure that this is not confusion with the reported likely arrival of Jamie Young?

• Haha 2

• jw1739 pinned this topic