Melbourne Football

Transfer Talk, Rumours and Speculation

jw1739

1 hour ago, belaguttman said:

If he came to the league here, it's more likely that he'd go to Perth. he has family there and Tony Sage has deep pockets and they've just released Bruno

I imagine in Cahill style the league will be subsidising his presence, you think Perth would be wise? I think not.

2 hours ago, TheStig said:

Latest rumour- Ronaldo is coming to Melbourne City

Realistically we are the only A-league club that could afford him

https://www.foxsports.com.au/football/a-league/compelling-proposition-aleague-bosses-submit-bid-for-ronaldo-to-join-aussie-club/news-story/20911da2133ae6bbc6bf0944eb9d7bbd

I don't want him. He's a nasty piece of work with some dubious off field stuff floating around. He'd be poison in the dressing room. I've no wish to watch him or support him.

• Like 6

10 hours ago, fensaddler said:

I don't want him. He's a nasty piece of work with some dubious off field stuff floating around. He'd be poison in the dressing room. I've no wish to watch him or support him.

My opinion too. But I very much doubt that we'll need to worry about it. He's reportedly on over GBP500,000 per week...https://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/man-utd-cristiano-ronaldo-wages-28056738...and however it might be subsidised, even if I could think of anyone stupid enough to do so, I can't see him coming here. If anyone has got that sort of dosh that they're prepared to direct towards the A-League then they can do a lot better with it than waste it on this bloke.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

I can't see any reason why we would be fiddling with the squad at the present time.

I'd imagine that Jamo and Berenguer would finish up at the end of their contracts (end of this season) and that Berisha's loan would not be renewed.

Others whose contracts expire are Glover, Sutton, Hall, Stokes, O'Neill, Gomulka, Rafa and Caputo.

7 hours ago, jw1739 said:

I can't see any reason why we would be fiddling with the squad at the present time.

I'd imagine that Jamo and Berenguer would finish up at the end of their contracts (end of this season) and that Berisha's loan would not be renewed.

Others whose contracts expire are Glover, Sutton, Hall, Stokes, O'Neill, Gomulka, Rafa and Caputo.

Glover and O'Neil should be fine to resign unless they get an offer from overseas clubs. I don't know where Gomulka sits but I don't have any issues with him being offered a new contract. The rest I feel will look for better opportunities in other clubs.

19 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

Goodness. I find that a bit odd. I suppose he was already going to leave at the end of the season and thought that he might as well go now.

I think he was fairly high on the candidates likely to move list, and probably the most likely of our players to move. Young, a decent prospect, not getting a game and would get game time at a number of other clubs. I'm not too troubled, he's one who almost but never quite made it, and with the quality of the stocks in our midfield now, was going to struggle to get beyond warming the bench. Good lad, I wish him well elsewhere.

• Like 6

15 minutes ago, belaguttman said:

We could have lined up a replacement that offers more to the team. He stepped in ably for O'Neill when he was injured, but the team performance suffered

I suspect the break glass option if O'Neill goes down is that Lam moves up and Nuno slots back in at CB

• Like 2

I note that in the current squad thread the other midfielders that have their contract finishing are Berenguer and Berisha. So at season's end, assuming that neither player are given contract extensions, the midfield would have O'Neil, VDV, and the two scholarship players in Oresti and Durakovik. Rather thin for next season and perhaps keeping Gomulka would have been worthwhile.

31 minutes ago, NewConvert said:

I note that in the current squad thread the other midfielders that have their contract finishing are Berenguer and Berisha. So at season's end, assuming that neither player are given contract extensions, the midfield would have O'Neil, VDV, and the two scholarship players in Oresti and Durakovik. Rather thin for next season and perhaps keeping Gomulka would have been worthwhile.

I really can't see that Berenguer's contract should be extended. Berisha is a loan deal until the end of this season, and he has another year to go after that on his contract with Reims.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, neio said:

O'Neill is out of contract at the end of this season, so there's not a lot we can do about that. Leckie has another season to go, but if he wants to go the club won't stand in his way. But he's already tried Europe and faded away there. If Troyes manage to stay up, then it would be a big step back from the A-League to Ligue 1. But you never can tell. We all know that the A-League is a feeder league, and a player is unlikely to stay if he gets an offer from Europe.

If Troyes drop down to Ligue 2, then that's not all that good as far as I can tell, and I wouldn't think it's particularly attractive for guy Leckie's age.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
5 hours ago, Zanty said:

I noticed is has not been mentioned but apparently we are interested in bringing in Steven Ugarkovic next season if O'Neill does not re-sign

I'd rather Thurgate tbh.

There'd be a few A league lads I'd want before Ugarkovic, I'd take Nisbet the midget before him in a flash.

Edited by moops

If O'Neill goes then I think Ugarkovic is a pretty solid replacement. He was very good at Newcastle when he was allowed to play as a 6, WSW stuffed him around mainly cause they had 738 central mids and they tried to get them all on the pitch and he has been reasonable at Wellington.

At the very least we are making some proactive moves to get the squad ready for next season nice and early 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, neio said:

If O'Neill goes then I think Ugarkovic is a pretty solid replacement. He was very good at Newcastle when he was allowed to play as a 6, WSW stuffed him around mainly cause they had 738 central mids and they tried to get them all on the pitch and he has been reasonable at Wellington.

At the very least we are making some proactive moves to get the squad ready for next season nice and early 

Rado said in a press conference that the club are still in talks with O'Neill so it is definitely a backup option in case he leaves 

4 hours ago, MHFC-FAN said:

If they get relegated do you think PK will still be at the helm? 

imo yes, he has only had half a season, being in Ligue 2 might help them install the play style they want

6 hours ago, HughJass said:

also says that Ugarkovic is already lined up to replace him

6 hours ago, MHFC-FAN said:

If they get relegated do you think PK will still be at the helm? 

I don't think CFG are known for dismissing staff at the drop of a hat, but IMO relegation to Ligue 2 is not going to read well on his CV.

Maybe CFG looked too much at results rather than man management, and I'm not particularly surprised that PK's style hasn't produced the goods yet. CFG don't get everything right - as Soriano admitted that about the investment climate in Australia - but I wouldn't write off PK just yet.

• Like 2

• jw1739 pinned this topic