Melbourne Football

Transfer Talk, Rumours and Speculation

jw1739

17 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

You have to forget what someone's done five seasons ago, except for their injury history, and at best you should look at last season, what club they played for, in what league, where the club finished in that league, and their statistics and particular contribution to the performance of the club.

We're supposed to have a world-wide scouting network and this is the best we can come up with? IMO we're not showing much ambition if it is.

Anyway, it's just a rumour.

You're just flat out wrong brother, you dont have to forget that. Anyone playing regular minutes under the age of 33 in a major European competition is not going to consider a move to the A League. It's as if you don't take into account that the player has to want to move across the globe to play in our donkey league, the way you personally frame any of these signings or rumours. Either lower your absurd expectations or be forever disappointed. The benefit of having a worldwide scouting network is that we should have a better chance of identifying under-the-radar talent, not that we can miraculously attract quality Euro players at the top of their game.

FWIW - nothing guaranteed obviously, but on paper this bloke has a terrific pedigree and ticks a lot of the right boxes. Only disappointment for me is that if he hits we'll only have him for a year. 

• Like 4

Even though we have this CFG link we do play in the A-league which has a salary cap, obviously we have 2 marquee slots (both taken by Maclaren and Leckie) and 2 designated player slots (I would assume would be taken by Lam and Berisha) realistically we would be looking at some players with a lot lower calibre if this designated player rule was never introduced, maybe one day we will be able to attract more big names but whilst all are cap exemptions are full these type of players are as good as we can get and imo he looks class

16 minutes ago, Zanty said:

Even though we have this CFG link we do play in the A-league which has a salary cap, obviously we have 2 marquee slots (both taken by Maclaren and Leckie) and 2 designated player slots (I would assume would be taken by Lam and Berisha) realistically we would be looking at some players with a lot lower calibre if this designated player rule was never introduced, maybe one day we will be able to attract more big names but whilst all are cap exemptions are full these type of players are as good as we can get and imo he looks class

If your assumptions are correct, we are effectively setting the ceiling standard with JMAC and Leckie.

From an ambition point of view I find that concerning, considering these positions are in theory a blank cheque.

Being critical here, JMAC scores goals but also misses plenty, vanishes and cannot contribute with ball in open play, we also hear jokes that he is still to be found in the back pocket of the better centre backs. I see players like JMAC and Leckie valuable but more in the designated player categories and I wish we could aim higher for the marquee spots also for the sake of the league in general.

He's rated 72 on FIFA 2022 compared to Lam at 67 and VDV at 65, makes him the second highest behind Maclaren in the squad. Highlights seem to suggest he's actually pretty much a box to box midfielder so replacement for Metcalf rather than an AM. Might actually be decent at our level. Technically good and a good long pass on him. I'm sort of warming up to him.

https://thelaziali.com/2020/09/11/valon-berisha-a-signing-that-lazio-will-want-to-forget/

In the summer of 2018, Red Bull Salzburg midfielder Valon Berisha was sought after by several clubs in Europe. While he looked destined to join Sampdoria, he changed his mind at the last minute after Lazio expressed interest; the Kosovo international ultimately arrived in Rome from Austria to join the Biancocelesti for a fee of approximately €7.6 million. While Laziali were expecting a lot from the player – who was known for his hard work and determination – Berisha’s tenure with Lazio was short-lived and a true disappointment, as he was unable to replicate the results he achieved with his past club.

Valon Berisha / S.S. Lazio, Source- Official S.S.Lazio Valon Berisha / S.S. Lazio, Source- Official S.S.Lazio
Red Bull Salzburg (2012-2018)

Prior to signing with Lazio, Berisha spent six seasons with Red Bull Salzburg, scoring 45 goals in all competitions. His final season with the club was his most productive where he scored 13 goals in all competitions. While being a forward-thinking central midfielder, the Kosovar showed that he had the ability to make strong tackles and dribble with the ball well. The midfielder also proved that he had the ability and capability to create scoring chances and, more importantly, find the back of the net.

Lazio (2018/19)
Valon Berisha / S.S. Lazio, Source- 90Min Valon Berisha / S.S. Lazio, Source- 90Min

In his first season with the Biancocelesti, the midfielder struggled to adapt and find form, primarily due to a lack of first-team playing time and constant knee problems. His playing time was limited and, as a result, he was unable to showcase his abilities and talents to his new club. In 2018/19, the Kosovar only appeared in 14 matches in all competitions, going scoreless in all 14 games. A quick and unfortunate turn of events for a player who had been so good the season before…

Lazio (2019/20)
Valon Berisha / S.S. Lazio, Source- transfermarkt.de Valon Berisha / S.S. Lazio, Source- transfermarkt.de

Prior to the start of the 2019/20 season, Berisha fully recovered from his nagging knee injuries. This was an opportunity for him to have a fresh start with the Biancocelesti.  However, despite being fit and performing with the Kosovo National Team, it was difficult for the midfielder to find playing time. Simone Inzaghi had many players to choose from in his lineup; he was accustomed to using Luis Alberto and Sergej Milinkovic-Savic in the midfield on a regular basis – while having Marco Parolo and Danilo Cataldi on the bench – which left Berisha as a fourth/fifth option in the pecking order. Inzaghi not having faith and putting his trust in only a select amount of individuals in the squad was one of the primary reasons as to why the player failed at the club.

Valon Berisha Valon Berisha

In the first half of the 2019/20 season, Berisha played just 8 matches (one game in the Coppa Italia, three games in Serie A and four in the UEFA Europa League). Many Laziali will remember his short stint at the club with his blunder against Celtic during this season (when he made a careless giveaway late into injury time that led to a 2-1 loss) which resulted in their eventual exit from the European competition. This is why when January came, it was no surprise that he was loaned out to Bundesliga side Fortuna Düsseldorf for the rest of the campaign. However, what came as a surprise was his immediate sale following his loan expiry with the German club. In July 2020, Berisha packed his bags and joined Ligue 1 side Stade Reims for a transfer fee of €5 million.

Final Thoughts

While his time with Lazio did not work out well for both sides, this is a type of signing that Lazio should learn from. The blame should not be fully on the midfielder; playing in a total of 22 games over two seasons will never help one’s confidence, growth and development as a player. Playing so little makes it difficult for players to enter matches and find good form and consistency. While Luis Alberto and Milinkovic-Savic are the key midfielders for Lazio, Inzaghi could have elected to used him against the weaker opponents to give the marquee players the rest they needed. This is a necessity so something like the match against Sevilla in the Round of 32 of the Europa League in 2018/19 does not happen again (Lazio exited the competition due to injuries to key players).

Valon Berisha / S.S. Lazio Valon Berisha / S.S. Lazio

With plenty of matches between Serie A, European competition and Coppa Italia, it was difficult to understand how a player who was so successful with his previous club was never inserted into the lineup on most nights. However, at the end of the day, it was the right decision to allow him to move on. With the transfer market once again open and new players expected to arrive this season, Inzaghi should reconsider how he uses his players to avoid a similar situation.

4 hours ago, Le Hack said:

He's rated 72 on FIFA 2022 compared to Lam at 67 and VDV at 65, makes him the second highest behind Maclaren in the squad. Highlights seem to suggest he's actually pretty much a box to box midfielder so replacement for Metcalf rather than an AM. Might actually be decent at our level. Technically good and a good long pass on him. I'm sort of warming up to him.

FIFA the ultimate way to tell if a player is good or not 

27 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

We'd have to be with visas wouldn't we? Berenguer, Reis, Van Der Venne, Lam and Berisha?

Correct no more visa players unless there is a shock departure, personally cannot see any Australian's joining us at this point, normally those kind of deals are done very early on in the window. Ideally we would have brought in a new GK but i have trust in the new GK coach.

But if Berisha is the last deal then are window looks like

Calum Talbot (Right Back)

Richard Van Der Venne (Attacking Midfielder)

Thomas Lam (Centre Back/Defensive Midfielder)\

Valon Berisha (Central Midfielder)

if I had to rank that window probably would be a 7.5/10 to get a 8+ we would need a new GK

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Nate said:

Can't fault the club, if Valon gets over the line it's a terrific transfer window. 

The midfield was clearly the most deficient area of our squad and we've rectified it with three hard-nosed Europeans, all at a really good age and with experience. 

How we go throughout the season really falls on PK now.

That’s it, can only fault the club later on to back an incompetent manager but that’s how we operate. If PK blows it with the resources at his disposal will have impact on his career as well. Final season of his contract too, lots at stake.

3 hours ago, Mr MO said:

That’s it, can only fault the club later on to back an incompetent manager but that’s how we operate. If PK blows it with the resources at his disposal will have impact on his career as well. Final season of his contract too, lots at stake.

Contract is until 2025

1 hour ago, DukeVader said:

Why are we so critical to a manager that's brought us our one and only championship? 2 premier plates? Do people respect people like JVS more? Strange 

Falling off is much easier than climbing on to the pedestal in the first place. One of the features of life. Mombaerts won us nothing but is still regarded by some as something of a god because he didn't have a pedestal to fall off. It was always going to be tough for PK after the double and the drubbings of MV - a very hard act to follow.

IMO part of the problem wrt opinions on PK is that the club appeared rather self-satisfied with last season, when we really didn't do very well in the ACL and weren't at our best at the end of season generally. HIs team selections, substitutions (or lack of them) and what happened with Pucci and Cola didn't win him any friends either.

On the Valon Berisha rumour, it would be interesting to note what the terms of the loan might be - it's reported that he's on a pretty large salary at Reims: https://www.capology.com/player/valon-berisha-34007/profile/

• Like 1

8 hours ago, DukeVader said:

Why are we so critical to a manager that's brought us our one and only championship? 2 premier plates? Do people respect people like JVS more? Strange 

There was barely any input from PK in that double winning season, fully inherited squad and strategy. He was a caretaker coach in a weakened league that season and those credits imo are still with Mombaerts for the good football we played.

I’m basing my opinion on what followed after that, where tactical incompetence, player and staff fall outs became so obvious that in combination with the ridiculous side line antics and poor press conferences. This teams isn’t playing for this coach either, the signs are there and time is up. 

But hey surely he can be remembered as the coach who won silverware but it’s the order of the day in football that changes are required to maintain certain high standards. Magic has worn out IMO but let’s see if new recruits can make a difference.

We are supposed to be a top club now and progressively taking a small step back every season on the merit that we’ve won something in the past is hard to swallow for me.

And yes, I see JVS as a higher pedigree coach (calmer better communicatot) and he will also do well with the current resources, probably the majority of the coaches will.

Edited by Mr MO
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Mr MO said:

There was barely any input from PK in that double winning season, fully inherited squad and strategy. He was a caretaker coach in a weakened league that season and those credits imo are still with Mombaerts for the good football we played.

I’m basing my opinion on what followed after that, where tactical incompetence, player and staff fall outs became so obvious that in combination with the ridiculous side line antics and poor press conferences. This teams isn’t playing for this coach either, the signs are there and time is up. 

But hey surely he can be remembered as the coach who won silverware but it’s the order of the day in football that changes are required to maintain certain high standards. Magic has worn out IMO but let’s see if new recruits can make a difference.

We are supposed to be a top club now and progressively taking a small step back every season on the merit that we’ve won something in the past is hard to swallow for me.

And yes, I see JVS as a higher pedigree coach (calmer better communicatot) and he will do also do well with the current resources, probably the majority of the coaches will.

I agree with most of your points tbh. But at the end of the day it's a results driven industry. Mombearts "built the squad" but didn't win with it, PK did. Even if he taught PK a lot, still didn't win the final. JVS had the resources did coach city, won a FFA cup not close to the premiers plate or championship 

As you said let's see how the new recruits go, they look great on paper (but they always do)

• Thanks 1

I understand the frustration with PK, I share all the forums concerns, but realistically the discussion should be around how can the club make him better rather than how soon can we sack him.

He has had two full seasons for two Championships and one Premiership (or is it the other way around), I know the signs are there but no club is gonna be sceptical about a coach with that track record regardless of how good a position his predecessor left the club in.

Calling him incompetent is clearly wrong, he would be one of the most successful managers in the league ever already and results should always trump any general feeling that they are undeserved. 

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, The Aardvark said:

I understand the frustration with PK, I share all the forums concerns, but realistically the discussion should be around how can the club make him better rather than how soon can we sack him....

IMO this is a very fair point. We've imported a GK Coach with a good CV but haven't done much else (that we know about) to help PK become a better coach. Such a long off-season and you would think that CFG Head Coaches could perhaps get together either in Manchester or Abu Dhabi on some sort of advancement program...

48 minutes ago, The Aardvark said:

I understand the frustration with PK, I share all the forums concerns, but realistically the discussion should be around how can the club make him better rather than how soon can we sack him.

He has had two full seasons for two Championships and one Premiership (or is it the other way around), I know the signs are there but no club is gonna be sceptical about a coach with that track record regardless of how good a position his predecessor left the club in.

Calling him incompetent is clearly wrong, he would be one of the most successful managers in the league ever already and results should always trump any general feeling that they are undeserved. 

I know I’m a minority! Please note I said tactical incompetence.

Just too many alarms bell for me sorry. 

PK is in essence lucky that he is a child of the club, he was there at the right time to pick the fruits and is certainly protected, our club works that way and that’s fine. It paid off with silverware! It’s the obvious regression what worries me.

So how do we make him better?? By getting a core group support staff around him who are willing to work with him for a longer period. As there seems to be big turn over in these critical roles. 

Edited by Mr MO
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, Mr MO said:

PK is in essence lucky that he is a child of the club, he was there at the right time to pick the fruits and is certainly protected, our club works that way and that’s fine. It paid off with silverware! It’s the obvious regression what worries me.

So how do we make him better?? By getting a core group support staff around him who are willing to work with him for a longer period. As there seems to be big turn over in these critical roles. 

The unstated assumption is that he is willing to accept feedback from those he considers his underlings.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, NewConvert said:

The unstated assumption is that he is willing to accept feedback from those he considers his underlings.

Yeah I've worked myself with managers who don't accept feedback or do but just ignore it. I've left jobs because of it, so not surprising about the high turnover of assistants. Previous GK coach Neil Young implied this in his comments after he left.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Mr MO said:

Again I have my doubts as well and he comes across as a very stubborn manager. In the past Momboarts has seemed to help in a mentoring role, and Des Buckingham seemed to give him a good influence on the bench. Whether we can replicate that with another appointment I don't know, but definitely the club should be trying to address his many weaknesses. It is delicate because he has accomplished so much already that it must be difficult to put someone in place to fix his bad areas and get buy in from him. 

• Thanks 1

42 minutes ago, Le Hack said:

Yeah I've worked myself with managers who don't accept feedback or do but just ignore it. I've left jobs because of it, so not surprising about the high turnover of assistants. Previous GK coach Neil Young implied this in his comments after he left.

The current assistants are Raff Napoli, a sports scientist, who's been with City since 2014, and Petr Kratky, a qualified UEFA coach who was with the NPL lads before graduation to the A-League squad, and Van Houten the GK coach. What the dynamics are between them goodness knows.

• 2 months later...
5 minutes ago, TheStig said:

Latest rumour- Ronaldo is coming to Melbourne City

Realistically we are the only A-league club that could afford him

https://www.foxsports.com.au/football/a-league/compelling-proposition-aleague-bosses-submit-bid-for-ronaldo-to-join-aussie-club/news-story/20911da2133ae6bbc6bf0944eb9d7bbd

“We might not be able to compete financially with other offers but we can compete in other ways.”

• jw1739 pinned this topic