Melbourne Football

Transfer Talk, Rumours and Speculation

jw1739

1 hour ago, fensaddler said:

This. Along with Nabbout and Leckie who can play that role, we're well covered. Our issues have been midfield and defence, and recently keepers. Midfield and defence have had useful additions, and keeping quality is being addressed at the coaching level, it seems. Key is to have key people fit and firing, particularly in midfield. Intrigued to know what the last addition is that is coming in, but my guess is that it won't be in the front third.

Well, you were less than complimentary in the "sheep-shagger" thread for tonight's match, so let's see how we go in that. I still think we have an "ordinary" squad, and I'd love to see an exciting AM come in to give us all a lift after two COVID-interrupted seasons.

10 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

Well, you were less than complimentary in the "sheep-shagger" thread for tonight's match, so let's see how we go in that. I still think we have an "ordinary" squad, and I'd love to see an exciting AM come in to give us all a lift after two COVID-interrupted seasons.

Don't think our problems have been up front. They've always been about the right passes/runs from midfield which can break the oppo defence. Our front players will score given the right service. Not enough craft or energy in midfield. So maybe that missing piece really is a 10.

• Like 5

2 hours ago, fensaddler said:

This. Along with Nabbout and Leckie who can play that role, we're well covered. Our issues have been midfield and defence, and recently keepers. Midfield and defence have had useful additions, and keeping quality is being addressed at the coaching level, it seems. Key is to have key people fit and firing, particularly in midfield. Intrigued to know what the last addition is that is coming in, but my guess is that it won't be in the front third.

A leaking defensive and non existing midfield were certainly issues to be addressed.

However I do feel that at times that we downplay how dysfunctional our big $ front three can be. Even towards the end of the season still not recognising each others runs or play to one another other strengths. JMAC is unable to hold up the play under pressure, our only option is the long ball to Nabbout - which then results in plenty of hit and miss crosses.

With the jury out on Leckie, JMAC (yes yes he scored a couple, missed plenty and vanished too many games for my liking) and Nabbout were both below their high standards last season and you have to wonder why that is?

A good genuine AM, one who can play on the wing as well can give a new dynamic to the forward line.

Edited by Mr MO
  • Like 1

I still think we need a sugar hit. I think a competitive season regardless of winning with a regular season attendance of 15k plus would be a huge win. 

We need someone that’s going to put bums on seats, it’s clear winning alone isn’t going to do that. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Hanz said:

I still think we need a sugar hit. I think a competitive season regardless of winning with a regular season attendance of 15k plus would be a huge win. 

We need someone that’s going to put bums on seats, it’s clear winning alone isn’t going to do that. 

We'll be lucky to average 5k. No point in signing a bums-on-seats player - PK will sit him on the bench.

It's PK who is pulling this club backwards, no-one else.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, bt50 said:

We've got a terrific squad. We have a donkey coach that insists on square pegs, irrespective of what hole hes trying to bash it into.

I don't know about other members, but as a paid-up member for the season ahead I'm getting pissed off with the lack of information as to player availability and team selection. Specifically I think the club owes us some explanation to say why a player such as Van Der Venne wasn't in last night's squad.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I'd still argue that we need a new GK after Glover's wild inconsistencies last season but evidently, it seems like we'll persist with him (which is fair enough given his age, skill ceiling and contract status). 

Outside of that the squad looks strong, though I'm definitely in favour of signing a luxury bums-on-seats playmaker as VDV is way too much of an unknown for now. 

Agree that Kisnorbo is the club's biggest problem atm and it's such a shame the same old predictable gameplan, weird non-communication and the micromanaging from the sidelines all still exists. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, bt50 said:

We've got a terrific squad. We have a donkey coach that insists on square pegs, irrespective of what hole hes trying to bash it into.

You're one of the more optimistic amongst us BT, so when you come to that conclusion it has particular weight. We have got a decent squad and I'd be interested to see what they could do given different coaching.

1 hour ago, fensaddler said:

You're one of the more optimistic amongst us BT, so when you come to that conclusion it has particular weight. We have got a decent squad and I'd be interested to see what they could do given different coaching.

IMO we have terrific depth and quality in probably every position except GK, but as the last two seasons have shown, we can be successful despite that.

FWIW its not that i dont like Kisnorbo's Plan A, it was a joy to watch in 2020/2021 when we were at full flight and its largely a good system. But he needs to be able to adjust to the very clear approach teams have discovered to blunt it, and he effectively refuses to. Its mindnumbing. Probably pride more than anything else imo.

Edited by bt50
  • Like 2

19 minutes ago, bt50 said:

IMO we have terrific depth and quality in probably every position except GK, but as the last two seasons have shown, we can be successful despite that.

FWIW its not that i dont like Kisnorbo's Plan A, it was a joy to watch in 2020/2021 when we were at full flight and its largely a good system. But he needs to be able to adjust to the very clear approach teams have discovered to blunt it, and he effectively refuses to. Its mindnumbing. Probably pride more than anything else imo.

Very different personnel in 20/21. Key players have since departed and IMO a key assistant coach.

Griff, Atkinson, Metcalfe, Noone, Luna, Colakovski, Buckingham.

He's flogging a lame horse now.

30 minutes ago, bt50 said:

it was a joy to watch in 2020/2021 when we were at full flight and its largely a good system. But he needs to be able to adjust to the very clear approach teams have discovered to blunt it, and he effectively refuses to. Its mindnumbing. Probably pride more than anything else imo.

You think it’s pride? I’m leaning more towards that he just doesn’t know any better and doesn’t have capability nor experienced support staff to adjust.

7 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

Very different personnel in 20/21. Key players have since departed and IMO a key assistant coach.

Griff, Atkinson, Metcalfe, Noone, Luna, Colakovski, Buckingham.

He's flogging a lame horse now.

That team was created by Mombaerts, remember Pk only was pushed forward early as caretaker covid coach.

20 minutes ago, belaguttman said:

Corey Browne has been suddenly let go by Roar. The circumstances are unclear, 'misconduct' has been alleged, PFA is standing by the payer. He might be a good depth player.

Contract expired June 2022. Currently doing rehabilitation after an injury. No thanks.

Edited by jw1739

8 minutes ago, belaguttman said:

He was sacked by Roar, one line press release. PFA is very concerned about the circumstances. there's no other information that I know about.

It's in an article I read after I saw your post. I don't give a toss about our "budget" - with the non-monetary resources we have available to us we should not be signing players who have an injury cloud over them.

13 hours ago, belaguttman said:

He was sacked by Roar, one line press release. PFA is very concerned about the circumstances. there's no other information that I know about.

Fairfax reported that it was for off season recreational drug use. Corey's lawyers countered by asking the report to be made public. Also that the Roar are under investigation by fraud detectives by claiming jobkeeper and not paying their juniors.

On 21/08/2022 at 8:23 AM, Baka1 said:

Luka Modric would tear up the league at 37. Just saying 

https://madriduniversal.com/real-madrid-legend-wishes-to-prolong-his-career-until-the-age-of-40/

He's contracted at Real Madrid for another season at least. The guy could go anywhere he wanted, so I doubt he'd want to play on a VFL oval at Casey Fields for a nong like PK...

Edited by jw1739
  • Like 2

5 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

I'm still waiting for APL's "35 target" players to appear...

Haha I know right.

Is it really that hard to find some marquees? I guess with the rise of the MLS the market is a lot more competitive for the types of players our league can afford

58 minutes ago, CityBoyz said:

Born in Sweden, represented Norway and then changed to Kosovo. Horrible surname…..

Whilst I would like to see a ball handy striker being added to the team, it does satisfies me that we are not the only ones who see that we have no proper midfield (Gomulka, Berenguer, Tilio/Leckie).

Metcalf, Pucci and Endoh have all departed being replaced by VdV, Lam and now perhaps this fella.

Edited by Mr MO

Played for Reins in Ligue 1, Lazio in Serie A, and Dusseldorf in Bundesliga, and as a Kosovan international but only sporadically at all of them. Best season was in 2017/18 with RB Salzburg where he was playing as an AM and scoring for fun. This guy could be like his namesake or could be Pucci 2.0 but I'm tipping will be a Berenguer type who will take a season before he gets good, and then his loan will be up

1 hour ago, Le Hack said:

Played for Reins in Ligue 1, Lazio in Serie A, and Dusseldorf in Bundesliga, and as a Kosovan international but only sporadically at all of them. Best season was in 2017/18 with RB Salzburg where he was playing as an AM and scoring for fun. This guy could be like his namesake or could be Pucci 2.0 but I'm tipping will be a Berenguer type who will take a season before he gets good, and then his loan will be up

You have to forget what someone's done five seasons ago, except for their injury history, and at best you should look at last season, what club they played for, in what league, where the club finished in that league, and their statistics and particular contribution to the performance of the club.

We're supposed to have a world-wide scouting network and this is the best we can come up with? IMO we're not showing much ambition if it is.

Anyway, it's just a rumour.

• jw1739 pinned this topic