Melbourne Football

Transfer Talk, Rumours and Speculation

jw1739

18 minutes ago, MHFC-FAN said:

Yeah we've certainly been a bit underwhelming so far in the signings department. 

I would like to think we have some more on the way which will hopefully add something to the squad. Typical City fashion keeping wraps on negotiations etc... 

I remain sceptic on many quality additions despite having squad spots available. I fear that we might have committed a fair bit of the salary cap on resigning Berenguer, Reis and existing deals of our forward 3 and Curtis Good.

Assuming that the money from Pucci has gone to VdV and the departure wages of Cola, Metcalf and Griffiths would not free up much space at all as these would have partly been outside the cap with youth and loyalty concessions.

2 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

And we are probably about to do the same...

It’s not like you can flick a switch with existing player contracts in place but I’m more concerned with head in the sand approach. 

The league will be stronger again this season.

We have a coach who’s breaks down rather than build, the club should not live in past when the lot was won in a weaker competition. Last season disjointed ending and the two matches against amateur teams show that there is serious work to be done.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, haz said:

Sydney have made some really strong signings, while we've only signed a mid-table Eredivisie reject and a youth player.......

would not call VDV a Eredivisie reject, he was really good the past 2 seasons in holland and the fans of his club were upset that he left 

3 hours ago, Mr MO said:

I remain sceptic on many quality additions despite having squad spots available. I fear that we might have committed a fair bit of the salary cap on resigning Berenguer, Reis and existing deals of our forward 3 and Curtis Good.

Assuming that the money from Pucci has gone to VdV and the departure wages of Cola, Metcalf and Griffiths would not free up much space at all as these would have partly been outside the cap with youth and loyalty concessions.

Got to remember the new designated player rule which was brought in, we currently have both slots free and will use them both on most likely a defender and a midfielder 

6 hours ago, Zanty said:

would not call VDV a Eredivisie reject, he was really good the past 2 seasons in holland and the fans of his club were upset that he left 

Got to remember the new designated player rule which was brought in, we currently have both slots free and will use them both on most likely a defender and a midfielder 

Yes that’s what I mean, we have slots available but I’m worried that we might have spend too much on the current squad already. Designated players are restricted to upper limits as well and CFG has strict budget for our marquee spending, hence we use it as an accounting exercise rather than a getting proper marquee players. 

I’m expecting that either Leckie or VDV will be a designated player. Leckie might have been on a back pay deal.

Edited by Mr MO

2 minutes ago, Heart of oakleigh said:

Since Aiden O’neill is our DM where does he fit in this team? Is he injured for an extended period of time or something?

O'Neill is still recovering from a foot injury. Otherwise, when he's fit, it's competition for places, and our defence has been porous for some time now.

I still think we need a goalkeeper and an AM.

13 minutes ago, marn11 said:

Not sure we can pencil in Lam over O'Neill yet, but that's a nice team on paper. 

I'd like to see another creative midfielder - then we're cooking with gas. 

I would like to see Tilio get more game time tbh.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, haz said:

I would like to see Tilio get more game time tbh.

I'm not sure he's the answer we need. It's all rather predictable up-front - the long ball over the top for someone (usually Nabbout) to run on to, followed by an erratic cross into the box. We're not creating like we were the season before last. 

3 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

I'm not sure he's the answer we need. It's all rather predictable up-front - the long ball over the top for someone (usually Nabbout) to run on to, followed by an erratic cross into the box. We're not creating like we were the season before last. 

Thomas Lam, excellent resume of clubs and good age - I’m happy with that! I do rate O’Neill so let’s see how this pans out. Saying that CB coverage was needed too.

Like you JW, I’m concerned about our forward line it just doesn’t click despite the big names. JMAC is a limited striker in open play so I would like to see another type of ball playing centre forward or even somebody who can also play on the wing. Unless Rafa has made good progress ofcourse.

Great signing, comes with similar pedigree as Nuno Reis when he came so that is always a good sign, I believe the plan is the stick with Glover this season as we brought in a new GK coach to try and get him back to his best, hopefully a right sided midfielder can be signed as well

5 minutes ago, Heart of oakleigh said:

Do you guys think we will sign a creative attacking midfielder with our last visa spot? What are our chances to sign Rogic? Do we have a marquee spot available?

The hint was that there were two signings to go. Lam is the first.

28 minutes ago, Heart of oakleigh said:

Do you guys think we will sign a creative attacking midfielder with our last visa spot? What are our chances to sign Rogic? Do we have a marquee spot available?

Rogic would be great but don't think he is in a great place mentally right now so who knows when he will return to football, but someone who can compete with Berenguer and be as good as him if he gets injured is definitely required. 

I still think there is a glaring need for a back up striker. If JMac goes down, or if God forbid we sub him when he is struggling we don't have another option at the moment that isn't a kid. There has to be an Aussie bloke around who can come in, know his role and fill a spot when needed 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, neio said:

I still think there is a glaring need for a back up striker. If JMac goes down, or if God forbid we sub him when he is struggling we don't have another option at the moment that isn't a kid. There has to be an Aussie bloke around who can come in, know his role and fill a spot when needed 

Why not Leckie? Tilio on the LW, Nabbout on the RW and Leckie central - I can't see that we need the luxury of a senior reserve striker. Rafa is there as well.

Edited by jw1739

3 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

Why not Leckie? Tilio on the LW, Nabbout on the RW and Leckie central - I can't see that we need the luxury of a senior reserve striker. Rafa is there as well.

Interestingly, we had a plan last season; Pucci was recruited as an AM, second forward or CF in congested games - so perhaps we are looking at similar profile now.

4 hours ago, neio said:

Got leckie who can play in that 9 a long with Tilio as a false 9, also got Sulemani and Caputo in the academy 

• Like 1

I think it’s borderline impossible to have a decent backup striker in the A-League tbh. With squad size and cap space being so limited, why would you pay a bloke decent money to play maybe once or twice a season? Alternatively, why would any decent striker sit on a bench for 99% of the season for peanuts? That’s why backup strikers across the league are all kids or has-beens.

We are in the incredibly fortunate position where unlike most teams in this league we have multiple other players who could easily fill that role should they be required. Nabbout, Leckie and at a stretch Tillio have all got what it takes to lead the line. Getting in any decent backup for JMac would be a waste of cap space imo.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

50 minutes ago, GreenSeater said:

I think it’s borderline impossible to have a decent backup striker in the A-League tbh. With squad size and cap space being so limited, why would you pay a bloke decent money to play maybe once or twice a season? Alternatively, why would any decent striker sit on a bench for 99% of the season for peanuts? That’s why backup strikers across the league are all kids or has-beens.

We are in the incredibly fortunate position where unlike most teams in this league we have multiple other players who could easily fill that role should they be required. Nabbout, Leckie and at a stretch Tillio have all got what it takes to lead the line. Getting in any decent backup for JMac would be a waste of cap space imo.

Totally agree, ultimately the best strategy is to have a winger thats capable of doing the job.

Someone like Matt Simon, memes aside, is pretty rare. Simon was a different type of 9 that was semi competent and totally change the way you attack, but also was never going to command massive wages and understood his role. 

Edited by bt50
  • Like 2

17 minutes ago, Tommykins said:

We also have an absolute glut of good youth players in that position.

This. Along with Nabbout and Leckie who can play that role, we're well covered. Our issues have been midfield and defence, and recently keepers. Midfield and defence have had useful additions, and keeping quality is being addressed at the coaching level, it seems. Key is to have key people fit and firing, particularly in midfield. Intrigued to know what the last addition is that is coming in, but my guess is that it won't be in the front third.

• jw1739 pinned this topic