Melbourne Football

Transfer Talk, Rumours and Speculation

jw1739

1 hour ago, Jovan said:

Renewed today, spoke to Ryan and he "mentioned" to look out for 2 new arrivals in next few weeks. 

41 minutes ago, fensaddler said:

Also good news on Paramount subs apparently.

7 minutes ago, malloy said:

Aren't they meant to be free for full members?

Got the same info today too. 

Regarding Paramount+, apparently negotiations are still taking place because there was a chance we would not get free memberships this year. 

Membership packs due mid September too. 

Edited by haz

22 hours ago, Zanty said:

still another 2 months for the a-league transfer window, nothing to be alarmed about yet

I'm not alarmed so to speak, just disengaged lol. At least there's a competitive fixture to look forward to now.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Nate said:

I'm not alarmed so to speak, just disengaged lol. At least there's a competitive fixture to look forward to now.

Agree with the above. I've heard the arguments both ways, but after disruptions caused by COVID and the disappointments over Pucci and Endoh, I do feel that the club needs a lift with at least one signing with a decent pedigree that the fans can enjoy watching.

1 hour ago, jw1739 said:

Agree with the above. I've heard the arguments both ways, but after disruptions caused by COVID and the disappointments over Pucci and Endoh, I do feel that the club needs a lift with at least one signing with a decent pedigree that the fans can enjoy watching.

Pucciarelli was a complete flop 100%, Endoh imo did his part on being depth for the ACL.

23 hours ago, Jovan said:

Renewed today, spoke to Ryan and he "mentioned" to look out for 2 new arrivals in next few weeks. 

did he mention what positons or what country they are coming from?

Edited by Zanty

2 hours ago, Torn Asunder said:

who got free Paramount?  Even as a member, we only got a discount on it last season ... 

From my understanding, all members will get a free subscription in the new season. Just make sure you cancel your existing subscription. 

But nothing has been confirmed yet. 

Played a good amount of games last season in the Eredivisie, but was only averaging about 55 minutes per game. Interestingly, he played more games as a CB than a CDM/CM.

The season prior (20/21) at Benfica, he missed because of an injury and subsequent surgery of his Achilles tendon.

In season 19/20 he was out of favour at Benfica and only played limited minutes (averaging 35 minutes across 25 games in all competitions).

Season 18/19 was arguably his last regular season at Benfica. He started off being benched but for the second half of the season was averaging 85+ minutes a game. 

-------------------------------------------------------------

So if we were to sign him what are we likely getting? A once dominant and highly regarded player that fell out of favour and later suffered a serious injury. Although he did get a full season under his belt most recently for the first time in 2-3 years, it doesn't seem that he can play 90 minutes consistently (yet).

Honestly, based on his stats from last season, he seems to be a like-for-like Rostyn Griffiths replacement. Even their heights are the same!

Edited by haz

59 minutes ago, haz said:

Played a good amount of games last season in the Eredivisie, but was only averaging about 55 minutes per game. Interestingly, he played more games as a CB than a CDM/CM.

The season prior (20/21) at Benfica, he missed because of an injury and subsequent surgery of his Achilles tendon.

In season 19/20 he was out of favour at Benfica and only played limited minutes (averaging 35 minutes across 25 games in all competitions).

Season 18/19 was arguably his last regular season at Benfica. He started off being benched but for the second half of the season was averaging 85+ minutes a game. 

So if we were to sign him what are we likely getting? A once dominant and highly regarded player that fell out of favour and later suffered a serious injury. Although he did get a full season under his belt most recently for the first time in 2-3 years, it doesn't seem that he can play 90 minutes consistently (yet).

Honestly, based on his stats from last season, he seems to be a like-for-like Rostyn Griffiths replacement. Even their heights are the same!

Like I said - ideal PK bench fodder. Let's hope we can actually lift our sights for the first time for a few seasons and actually sign someone who's fit and a walk-in starting player.

39 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

Like I said - ideal PK bench fodder. Let's hope we can actually lift our sights for the first time for a few seasons and actually sign someone who's fit and a walk-in starting player.

That is my biggest concern, the signs from the latter part of last season are being ignored. Copy paste, just work harder. If the approach is no different than PK will take us a small step back every season he’s in charge.

1 hour ago, haz said:

Good research, wow that does sound like a Griffiths like for like with the same limitations.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Le Hack said:

Just signed a Japanese player, Asahi. Not sure what position he plays but heard he likes it super dry so I suppose will like it in our summer. One for the ACL?

And apparently we're chasing a guy called William Hill from Spurs to partner Asahi up front.

We need the players to continue to play our style of play but to provide some tactical flexibility. Last season we had two vulnerabilities, one was our defensive structure and movement, and the second was our lack of tactical flexibility when plan A wasn't working. Gomulka will be a good DM asset but isn't yet providing what O'Neill offers the team, but we don't adapt our tactics to accommodate this difference.

We also need to adapt our tactics to suit Max Caputo, a different type of 9 than JMac, so that we can create tactical difficulties for opposition coaches. I don't think that this is PK's strength at the moment though.

2 hours ago, kingofhearts said:

I can also confirm we are very likely to sign some overseas players that will be announced sometime this offseason (probably)

I have also heard from very reliable sources that signings will most likely be in human form with strong links to planet earth. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

10 hours ago, kingofhearts said:

I can also confirm we are very likely to sign some overseas players that will be announced sometime this offseason (probably)

To paraphrase "Yes, Minister"...

The four-stage approach to Melbourne City signings...In Stage One we say that we that we won a trophy last season so we are quite content with our existing players. In Stage Two we say that perhaps we could sign some new players but we can't find anyone we want to sign. In Stage Three we say that perhaps we could find players that we want to sign but none of them will sign for us. And in Stage Four we say that maybe there were players we wanted to sign and who wanted to sign for us...but it's too late now.

• Like 3

seems like we want to use the 2 designated player slots on a centre back who can play cdm or vice versa and a right sided central midfielder makes sense with the defence last season looking a bit shaky and even though Berenguer had his best season with us he is 33 and although the technical ability may be there who knows how his body will do.

22 minutes ago, haz said:

Sydney have made some really strong signings, while we've only signed a mid-table Eredivisie reject and a youth player.......

Yeah we've certainly been a bit underwhelming so far in the signings department. 

I would like to think we have some more on the way which will hopefully add something to the squad. Typical City fashion keeping wraps on negotiations etc... 

25 minutes ago, MHFC-FAN said:

I would like to think we have some more on the way which will hopefully add something to the squad. Typical City fashion keeping wraps on negotiations etc... 

We always sign key players at the end of the pre-season, it takes them half the season to become match-fit and integrate into the team

• Like 1

• jw1739 pinned this topic