Melbourne Football

Transfer Talk, Rumours and Speculation

jw1739

Yeah my thoughts are that the two major competitors next season for the premier's plate and the championship are again WU and MV. Both have monster visa CBs in Lacroix and Miranda and Glory's Lachman who owned Maclaren last year. I feel it's not prudent to think a change in midfield is going to see an exciting Avenue to goal open up. Besides how many times were we also opened up via a goal from a corner, Lacroix especially 

26 minutes ago, Le Hack said:

Yeah my thoughts are that the two major competitors next season for the premier's plate and the championship are again WU and MV. Both have monster visa CBs in Lacroix and Miranda and Glory's Lachman who owned Maclaren last year. I feel it's not prudent to think a change in midfield is going to see an exciting Avenue to goal open up. Besides how many times were we also opened up via a goal from a corner, Lacroix especially 

I think I've got the opposite view. We were weakest in midfield last season, especially later on with two key players missing (O'Neill and Berenguer). We have the best front line in the league (we are bringing on Tilio as a sub when he'd be first pick in most other teams, and we have one of the best young strikers in Australia in our youth team, 16 year old Arion Sulemani, who looks the real deal), but all too often we weren't getting the ball to them in good positions. That was a failure of midfield, and our attacks became too predictable, relying on Nabbout's pace down the wings. So creative midfield is for me a key area.

Where I do agree is the need to strengthen central defence. Ideally we need our own monster centre back. We also lost our first choice pairing (Good and Reis) regularly to injury, illness or suspension, and we don't now have Griff to fill in. So that to me is the other area where we need to add. 

Edited by fensaddler
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

29 minutes ago, Le Hack said:

Wether we like it or not JMAC is an issue when teams sit deep (as proven last season).

With these quality defenders on him he doesn’t have the skill to hold up the play or to actively participate in building up attacks. If that final ball doesn’t fall for him we pretty much play without a centre forward. He needs space and he’s not getting that.

So having a different type of centre forward in the team would certainly help.

Edited by Mr MO
  • Like 1

17 minutes ago, fensaddler said:

I think I've got the opposite view. We were weakest in midfield last season, especially later on with two key players missing (O'Neill and Berenguer). We have the best front line in the league (we are bringing on Tilio as a sub when he'd be first pick in most other teams, and we have one of the best young strikers in Australia in our youth team, 16 year old Arion Sulemani, who looks the real deal), but all too often we weren't getting the ball to them in good positions. That was a failure of midfield, and our attacks became too predictable, relying on Nabbout's pace down the wings. So creative midfield is for me a key area.

Where I do agree is the need to strengthen central defence. Ideally we need our own monster centre back. We also lost our first choice pairing (Good and Reis) regularly to injury, illness or suspension, and we don't now have Griff to fill in. So that to me is the other area where we need to add. 

The more you talk CB the more I’m getting concerned but we do have Hall who looked decent.

9 minutes ago, fensaddler said:

Again, a lot of this comes down to PK again. When you're playing you have to adapt your game plan. We can't sign a player to match every other player we're going to come up against. PK is too inflexible. 

Nevertheless I agree closely with our needs as set out by @fensaddler except that I don't necessarily agree that another CB needs to be a "monster." Even if you bolster our defence it is still backed up by an error-prone GK and we're still going to concede unnecessarily.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Mr MO said:

When signing.

Possibly we won't make one. Ironic perhaps - CFG's Simon Pearce one of the prime movers in prising the League away from FFA and then we don't sign any of APL's target players?

But as always you never know what City might be doing until it's happened. I still think we need an exciting player in midfield to give us more "bite" and variation and of course a replacement for Griff, who I think will be sorely missed when we need another reliable central defender.

17 hours ago, jw1739 said:

I don't agree with others on Colazo. Scored 5 goals for us in a season marred by a ruptured ear-drum, and was part of the Cup-winning team.

Perhaps our expectations were a lot higher in those early CFG years. I remember him being pretty decent and versatile on the flank with an excellent pass.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Mr MO said:

Perhaps our expectations were a lot higher in those early CFG years. I remember him being pretty decent and versatile on the flank with an excellent pass.

He's still playing, for Gimnasia LP I think, but mostly off the bench.

37 minutes ago, CityBoyz said:

Could probably target Luongo with designated spot who still is a free agent 

TBH I can't see any point in signing a player such as Luongo. Doesn't add much to the squad when you consider what we've got coming through our Academy.

What a boring offseason so far!

Watched RvdV his first interview and he seems to have the right attitude.

Is it really going to be copy paste from last season? Perhaps so, with PK at the helm, every season he’s in charge we will take a small step back.

Edited by Mr MO
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, CityBoyz said:

A bad translation 

"As for Rafał Augustyniak and his transition to Legia, which he writes about @ wlodar85 it probably ends this way.  Australian Melbourne City FC is still fighting for the Pole.  Various things happen at the end of the negotiations, but I assume that the Polish option will win over the Australian."

5 hours ago, haz said:

A bad translation 

"As for Rafał Augustyniak and his transition to Legia, which he writes about @ wlodar85 it probably ends this way.  Australian Melbourne City FC is still fighting for the Pole.  Various things happen at the end of the negotiations, but I assume that the Polish option will win over the Australian."

Yep signed a 3 year deal with Legia

4 hours ago, jw1739 said:

I wonder whether we are going to look to replace Griff? Early days perhaps, but nothing happening that excites me so far.

I certainly cannot believe we're done yet. If we are, we're seriously undermanned and will be relying a lot on youth. Our kids are good, but we won't win the ladder or thrive in Asia.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Nate said:

Has this been our worst off-season ever in a transfer sense? Literally nothing to be excited about with clear deficiencies in the squad.

still another 2 months for the a-league transfer window, nothing to be alarmed about yet

• Like 1

3 hours ago, fensaddler said:

I certainly cannot believe we're done yet. If we are, we're seriously undermanned and will be relying a lot on youth. Our kids are good, but we won't win the ladder or thrive in Asia.

Renewed today, spoke to Ryan and he "mentioned" to look out for 2 new arrivals in next few weeks. 

• Like 4

31 minutes ago, Jovan said:

Renewed today, spoke to Ryan and he "mentioned" to look out for 2 new arrivals in next few weeks. 

That's some comfort, at least. I do hope we're aiming a little bit higher than we have done in the recent past.

• jw1739 pinned this topic