Melbourne Football

Transfer Talk, Rumours and Speculation

jw1739

23 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

I'm waiting to see how City uses these amended rules...our signings so far (Talbot, Van Der Venne and a couple of scholarship players) are hardly spectacular.

As the article suggested, plenty of opportunities to strengthen your squad, comes with a $ cost of course. I would like to think that our current marquees are under $600k per year so they are now allowed to be moved into the designated spots (who are still outside the cap). That leaves the door wide open for some top quality marquee players!!

Edited by Mr MO

42 minutes ago, Mr MO said:

As the article suggested, plenty of opportunities to strengthen your squad, comes with a $ cost of course. I would like to think that our current marquees are under $600k per year so they are now allowed to be moved into the designated spots (who are still outside the cap). That leaves the door wide open for some top quality marquee players!!

cannot 100% confirm this but I believe both marquee slots are taken by Maclaren and Leckie whilst we have both Designated Player slots free, unless we decide to move a current player in one or both of them to free up cap space, but  ideally we would take advantage of the 2 free slots we have and sign some quality players

6 hours ago, Mr MO said:

What are the club roster guidelines?

For Isuzu UTE A-League clubs, there are a number of factors to consider when targeting a player for recruitment. 

A club’s roster must consist of:

• A minimum 18 players and a maximum 23 players
  • Within the 18-23 players that must be signed, clubs must have a minimum of two goalkeepers and a maximum of five foreign players
  • This doesn’t include scholarship players of which clubs can sign 16

If your club is competing in the Asian Champions League, additional players can be contracted – but they are only eligible to participate in the ACL.

But some players are exempt from the cap…

Of the 18-23 players registered at each club, some may fall into certain categories making them exempt from the salary cap – meaning clubs do not have to include said player’s salary inside the set floor and ceiling of the cap.

The exemptions apply to:

MARQUEE PLAYERS: Each club can sign a maximum of two marquee players who are fully exempt from the cap.

GUEST PLAYER: Each club can sign one guest player who is fully exempt from the salary cap, and is only eligible for circa half the season but who must meet strict eligibility requirements.

DESIGNATED PLAYERS: ALM clubs are now able to sign two ‘designated players’ who must earn a salary between $300,000 and $600,000, and are also exempt from the salary cap. 

HOMEGROWN PLAYERS: Each club can have up to four ‘homegrown players’ fully exempt from the salary cap. However, these players must be Australian and aged under 23 that have come through the club’s youth system.

LOYALTY PLAYERS: Each club can have an unlimited number of loyalty players, who based on the number of consecutive seasons of service, may have a slice of their salary excluded from the cap up to a maximum of 50%. Players who are eligible for that maximum must have played 10 or more consecutive seasons at the club.

@jw1739

2 hours ago, haz said:

For Isuzu UTE A-League clubs, there are a number of factors to consider when targeting a player for recruitment. 

• Within the 18-23 players that must be signed, clubs must have a minimum of two goalkeepers and a maximum of five foreign players

If your club is competing in the Asian Champions League, additional players can be contracted – but they are only eligible to participate in the ACL.

Of the 18-23 players registered at each club, some may fall into certain categories making them exempt from the salary cap – meaning clubs do not have to include said player’s salary inside the set floor and ceiling of the cap.

The exemptions apply to:

MARQUEE PLAYERS: Each club can sign a maximum of two marquee players who are fully exempt from the cap.

GUEST PLAYER: Each club can sign one guest player who is fully exempt from the salary cap, and is only eligible for circa half the season but who must meet strict eligibility requirements.

DESIGNATED PLAYERS: ALM clubs are now able to sign two ‘designated players’ who must earn a salary between $300,000 and $600,000, and are also exempt from the salary cap. 

HOMEGROWN PLAYERS: Each club can have up to four ‘homegrown players’ fully exempt from the salary cap. However, these players must be Australian and aged under 23 that have come through the club’s youth system.

LOYALTY PLAYERS: Each club can have an unlimited number of loyalty players, who based on the number of consecutive seasons of service, may have a slice of their salary excluded from the cap up to a maximum of 50%. Players who are eligible for that maximum must have played 10 or more consecutive seasons at the club.

@jw1739

Loyalty after 10 seasons? I thought this used to be much earlier like 4 or 5 seasons.

edit: ah no 10 seasons is the maximum. It just doesn’t state when loyalty starts.

Edited by Mr MO

15 hours ago, haz said:

The exemptions apply to:

@jw1739

@haz Noted with thanks. Are we sure that there isn't a typo in there - clubs can now sign up to 16 scholarship players? It was 6 only 2-4 seasons ago, then 9, and now 16....?

35 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

@haz Noted with thanks. Are we sure that there isn't a typo in there - clubs can now sign up to 16 scholarship players? It was 6 only 2-4 seasons ago, then 9, and now 16....?

Considering that loyalty player now needs to play 10 seasons at a club, I would not be surprised that there are a few changes which have been added in.

If true, the increase from 9 to 16 will only benefit us.

29 minutes ago, haz said:

Considering that loyalty player now needs to play 10 seasons at a club, I would not be surprised that there are a few changes which have been added in.

If true, the increase from 9 to 16 will only benefit us.

@haz If I may correct you...the 10 years refers to the time taken for a player to reach the 50% loyalty discount. The rules don't say when the discount kicks in  - I believe it starts at 10% and starts in the 5th season, but I could be wrong there.

If we really can have 16 scholarship players outside the cap, we could have a squad made up of all 16 scholarship players, two marquees, two designated players, and two players sharing the cap between them....

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, jw1739 said:

@haz If I may correct you...the 10 years refers to the time taken for a player to reach the 50% loyalty discount. The rules don't say when the discount kicks in  - I believe it starts at 10% and starts in the 5th season, but I could be wrong there.

If we really can have 16 scholarship players outside the cap, we could have a squad made up of all 16 scholarship players, two marquees, two designated players, and two players sharing the cap between them....

I know you are stretching things. 

Minimum 18 players under the cap not 2.

1 minute ago, Zanty said:

I reckon we will not be signing a new goalkeeper tbh, we have brought in a new GK coach and because of that I reckon they are keeping with glover

Kind off agree. 

I was convinced they were going to replace or even bring in but now with this new bloke they look like sticking with Glover. 

For me this would be a mistake.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Jovan said:

Kind off agree. 

I was convinced they were going to replace or even bring in but now with this new bloke they look like sticking with Glover. 

I believe Glover has potential, he has proved it, tbh no one knows how this will go, could be a PK masterclass bringing in a highly experienced GK coach or it could end up costing us, we will soon see 

15 minutes ago, Zanty said:

I reckon we will not be signing a new goalkeeper tbh, we have brought in a new GK coach and because of that I reckon they are keeping with glover

12 minutes ago, Jovan said:

Kind off agree. 

1 minute ago, Zanty said:

I believe Glover has potential, he has proved it, tbh no one knows how this will go, could be a PK masterclass bringing in a highly experienced GK coach or it could end up costing us, we will soon see 

i give the club credit for backing Glover, he has shown he has the raw talent.  my concern is that he has been very up and then very down. 

it's going to take a lot of work with him to (a) return to the form of past seasons and (b) stay there.  with a number of fans on his back thats a lot of pressure for the kid

• Like 2

1 hour ago, mattyh001 said:

i give the club credit for backing Glover, he has shown he has the raw talent.  my concern is that he has been very up and then very down. 

it's going to take a lot of work with him to (a) return to the form of past seasons and (b) stay there.  with a number of fans on his back thats a lot of pressure for the kid

Bear in mind also that our new coach can also still play. So he'll offer additional cover whilst hopefully improving our current players. Also worth remembering the Nieuwenhuizen is starting to look pretty handy as a back up.

47 minutes ago, fensaddler said:

Bear in mind also that our new coach can also still play. So he'll offer additional cover whilst hopefully improving our current players. Also worth remembering the Nieuwenhuizen is starting to look pretty handy as a back up.

@fensaddler When was the last time Van Houten actually played?

Well, at the moment my list shows that we have 17 senior players plus Raphael (who may or may not still be a scholarship player) plus a number of scholarship players, so it would seem highly likely that we must be going to make further signings. Otherwise we are going to be running on a bare minimum squad next season, with all the seniors under the cap.

3 minutes ago, Baka1 said:

Tards just announced Nani… You’d hope that we’ve got something huge in the works

Just work harder and stick to the system PK says!

Shit posting aside, yes would be nice to flex our financial muscles for once. I’m not jealous of this travelling Nani but I’m also craving something better than JMAC and Leckie.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Baka1 said:

Tards just announced Nani… You’d hope that we’ve got something huge in the works

He's a marquee. Our problem could be that we've already got the two marquee positions filled, and that we're limited to the designated player salary range of $300,000 - $600,000. 

1 hour ago, jw1739 said:

He's a marquee. Our problem could be that we've already got the two marquee positions filled, and that we're limited to the designated player salary range of $300,000 - $600,000. 

How though? Who’s earning above $600k then?

5 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

I'm assuming that Maclaren and Leckie are marquees. Of course I may be wrong.

I’m not ruling out Reis as high earner in previous seasons.

If you are marquee and earn under $600k they can be moved into the designated now.

Albeit being vague PK confirmed at the start of last season that somehow Leckie was under the cap. 

JMAC signed for 2 or 3 million but over multiple seasons.

5 minutes ago, Tommykins said:

We're in for Cristian Battocchio, apparently - Argentine born Italian, 30 year old midfielder.

Pucci’s cousin, PK would love to have him.

22 minutes ago, kingofhearts said:

😮😮 😮

20220712_190104.jpg

Jenko0923 is a forum member here I believe.

Edited by Mr MO
  • Sad 1

3 hours ago, jw1739 said:

Im pretty sure Leckie is in the 300-600K spot 

47 minutes ago, kingofhearts said:

😮😮 😮

20220712_190104.jpg

Twitter suggesting he is off to the championship  with 3-4 clubs chasing him

• jw1739 pinned this topic