Melbourne Football

Transfer Talk, Rumours and Speculation

jw1739

14 hours ago, mattyh001 said:

Milos Ninkovic is off to WSW. Gonna have even more spice in the Sydney derby next season 

Crazy isn’t it - he must have really fallen out with Sydney to make such a dog move. Then again he might wanted to remain in and around Sydney for family reasons.

"van Houten will replace outgoing Goalkeeper Coach, Jeff Olver, who is set to depart City after joining the Club on the eve of the 2021/22 season. 

Seems Oliver was a last ditch signing..... did we go all pre season without a GK coach? 

52 minutes ago, haz said:

"van Houten will replace outgoing Goalkeeper Coach, Jeff Olver, who is set to depart City after joining the Club on the eve of the 2021/22 season. 

Seems Oliver was a last ditch signing..... did we go all pre season without a GK coach? 

Well didn’t PK have a fall out with the actual GK coach at that time?

Edited by Mr MO

17 minutes ago, belaguttman said:

This could be one of the key signings for the next season. Tom Glover was decent and was improving under Neil Young's coaching, but really regressed last season. A good coach will get both our keepers back on track and save our on-field recruiting efforts for other positions

This. Not only can this guy play in goal, but there's a good chance he'll sort Glover out, as well as bringing on Sutton and Nieuwenhuizen.

18 hours ago, fensaddler said:

This. Not only can this guy play in goal, but there's a good chance he'll sort Glover out, as well as bringing on Sutton and Nieuwenhuizen.

The good thing is that the club really has acted on the concerns, reinforced midfield, cut Pucci and found a decent GK coach. Of course PK and Glover are still with the club but is only a pipe dream.

2 hours ago, Mr MO said:

The good thing is that the club really has acted on the concerns, reinforced midfield, cut Pucci and found a decent GK coach. Of course PK and Glover are still with the club but is only a pipe dream.

I'm happy to give Glover a season under a good goal keeping coach

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, belaguttman said:

I'm happy to give Glover a season under a good goal keeping coach

I'm not convinced, i don't buy Glover's problem was coaching. 

I think I said many times before Glover was 95% responsible for his performances.

But lets see. 

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Jovan said:

I think I said many times before Glover was 95% responsible for his performances.

But lets see. 

It doesn't matter now really. Whatever the causes of our GK malaise last season what we need now is a prompt and marked improvement in both Glover and Sutton. Van Houten comes to us with a solid CV and I hope that he will be quick to see what the problems are and how to eliminate them.

1 hour ago, Jovan said:

But lets see. 

Glover was far better in his positioning and in his decision king during the previous season. He didn't loses  ability to perform at the required level, he lost his capacity to perform at that level.

Capability is a recruitment issue, capacity is a coaching issue.

Edited by belaguttman

8 minutes ago, belaguttman said:

Glover was far better in his positioning and in his decision king during the previous season. He didn't loses  ability to perform at the required level, he lost his capacity to perform at that level.

Capability is a recruitment issue, capacity is a coaching issue.

But he always had these mistakes nearly every game, every season. It was paper over the cracks in the seasons prior to this one as suddenly we were unable to recover from them, so he was suddenly in the spotlight. He's always been an average keeper only last season people started to focus on it. I tend agree with Jovan, a good coach helps but he's not suddenly turning Glover into a superstar. But hey surpise me Tommy!

4 minutes ago, Mr MO said:

But he always had these mistakes nearly every game, every season. It was paper over the cracks in the seasons prior to this one as suddenly we were unable to recover from them, so he was suddenly in the spotlight. He's always been an average keeper only last season people started to focus on it. I tend agree with Jovan, a good coach helps but he's not suddenly turning Glover into a superstar. But hey surpise me Tommy!

Don't compare him to a keeper like Sorenson. He is young and still learning, but there were clear signs of progress during the 20/21season. He was selected as the Olyroos number 1 keeper. During the 21/22 season, he looked like Redders at his worst. I don't know whether he'll continue to develop or not with a better coach, but it's a problem area that needs to be addressed anyway, and on the evidence of the previous season I'm prepared to give him the benefit of the doubt for the upcoming season.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Le Hack said:

Talk is that Postecoglou wants him at Celtic. I imagine that's where he will go, isn't his wife still in England?

His wife is Scottish. So Celtic would appeal from a family perspective.

1 hour ago, Le Hack said:

Talk is that Postecoglou wants him at Celtic. I imagine that's where he will go, isn't his wife still in England?

I believe his wife went back to Scotland when he transferred to China or shortly thereafter.

Mooy was also married in Glasgow, suggesting that her family are live there. My guess is that she is currently living in Glasgow right now.

Celtic would definitely have to be the odds on favourite for where he ends up next.

The Fabrizio tweet is a photoshop fabrication that it seems everyone, including Optus, have fallen for.
I'd still suggest the mutual termination is possible, or even likely, but either way theres some jumping the gun here.

• jw1739 pinned this topic