Melbourne Football

Transfer Talk, Rumours and Speculation

jw1739

11 hours ago, jw1739 said:

Most of his football has, in fact, been in the Eerste Division. Gets his fair share of yellows.

Interesting signing. Left footer. Looking forward to seeing him play.

What is interesting is that Florin, Pucci and now this Dutch guy all have similar profiles. Big chunk in European second divisions and similar age when coming to Australia.

FYI the Dutch Eerste Divisie is not even a full professional league. He did however play in the Eredivisie for the last 3 seasons.

Edited by Mr MO

14 hours ago, fensaddler said:

Probably a good outcome for him and clears space in our roster. He leaves with a shed load of respect.

I would love for Griff to go to Mumbai, stay with the group and perhaps starting a coaching career after. I always find him well spoken and has the right balance to become a coach. Not sure what his ambitions are of course. 

• Like 6

10 hours ago, belaguttman said:

Signed as a free agent too. No transfer fee

Pucci, Endoh, Hughes, Hendry, Meeweis, the Austrian dude whose name I can't recall...

Jack Hendry isn't a fair call - he was injured in his very first match for us IIRC. The others - yes, fair call, but I don't recall an Austrian at all - are you thinking of Koren? There have been a few strange ones, but let's hope Van Der Venne isn't one of them.

Aaron Hughes remains the biggest mystery for me. Still being selected for Northern Ireland but kept on the sidelines at AAMI Park.

10 hours ago, Mr MO said:

What is interesting is that Florin, Pucci and now this Dutch guy all have similar profiles. Big chunk in European second divisions and similar age when coming to Australia.

FYI the Dutch Eerste Divisie is not even a full professional league. He did however play in the Eredivisie for the last 3 seasons.

And all three vying for the same position perhaps? Someone's going to be on the bench.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, jw1739 said:

Rumour that Nani is going to MV.

We will probably going to see some higher profile players coming to the league.

All clubs now have a second designated player spot and there are talks about rejuvenating what a marquee player really stands for. 

Edited by Mr MO

IMO this marquee stuff is largely pie in the sky shit. We, as in Australian football, don't have the $$$ to get anyone thats close enough to their best that will cut through to the wider sporting public, so you either end up with a good quality but not particularly nameworthy player liek a Ninkovic or Mierzejewski, or you end up with a name that's over the hill and really, ends up more of a disrespect to whats actually a decent quality league imo.
Nani will be a flop both on and offfield imo, despite people kinda knowing who he is.

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, bt50 said:

IMO this marquee stuff is largely pie in the sky shit. We, as in Australian football, don't have the $$$ to get anyone thats close enough to their best that will cut through to the wider sporting public, so you either end up with a good quality but not particularly nameworthy player liek a Ninkovic or Mierzejewski, or you end up with a name that's over the hill and really, ends up more of a disrespect to whats actually a decent quality league imo.
Nani will be a flop both on and offfield imo, despite people kinda knowing who he is.

Giving average footballers marquee status through accounting exercises isn’t a way forward for this league either.

It’s not an easy one to solve, personally I would like to see good quality with smaller names just as you mentioned.

Perhaps a minimum wage cap and a minimum amount of games at certain overseas level can be carved out.

Edited by Mr MO

52 minutes ago, Mr MO said:

Giving average footballers marquee status through accounting exercises isn’t a way forward for this league either.

It’s not an easy one to solve, personally I would like to see good quality with smaller names just as you mentioned.

Perhaps a minimum wage cap and a minimum amount of games at certain overseas level can be carved out.

"Marquee' is purely a label tho. Ultimately its just a player designated out of the cap. Doesn't have to be a promotional style player, its just a concept that the league started with.
I think the league is better than novelty players personally, and whilst you'd always take their marketability into consideration when signing players, it shouldnt be at the cost of being good enough to play in the league, or disproportionate wages.

• Like 1

Interesting discussion. I'll make some comment later. For the moment though, are we of the opinion that each club can for 2022-23 have two marquee players and two designated players outside the salary cap? And is there a difference between "marquee" and "designated" other than (I think) the latter have a limited salary range with both a minimum and a maximum? And do we know what the rationale is for having these players in the first place and any difference between the two?

Largely no difference to my knowledge, but im of the understanding that the Designated player spots are kind of like mini one player salary caps as well ie you cant just swap players in and out of that slot like you can with the marquees and have no wage considerations. I could well be wrong here but i can't really see how else they could do it

For example maybe you sign player a as marquee on 800k  a season fro two years, but after half a season decide he's not what you want and pay him out either fully or partially. FA will let you replace the marquee with a new one, provided they dont think you are trying to rort the system, and they wont consider the financial terms of either the existing or new player.
If Player B is a designated player, signs for 600k a season but we get rid of him in Jan, with 300k paid to date, you still have to fit within the 600k for the slot for the entire season. Likewise any payout is counted towards that mini cap.

As for rationale, i'd suggest the designated player probably started as a concept to keep the under the cap players that were starring in the league as clubs were getting frustrated at losing the likes of Buijs and Leroy George over cap restraints and it morphed into effectively marquee-lite.
I'd say it didnt just become '4 marquees' due to opposition from the clubs that can barely afford to pay 1 marquee as it is ie CCM, Adelaide, etc 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, bt50 said:

"Marquee' is purely a label tho. Ultimately its just a player designated out of the cap. Doesn't have to be a promotional style player, its just a concept that the league started with.
I think the league is better than novelty players personally, and whilst you'd always take their marketability into consideration when signing players, it shouldnt be at the cost of being good enough to play in the league, or disproportionate wages.

I remember something that back in the day marquee players had to be improved by the FFA.

1 hour ago, jw1739 said:

Interesting discussion. I'll make some comment later. For the moment though, are we of the opinion that each club can for 2022-23 have two marquee players and two designated players outside the salary cap? And is there a difference between "marquee" and "designated" other than (I think) the latter have a limited salary range with both a minimum and a maximum? And do we know what the rationale is for having these players in the first place and any difference between the two?

The introduction of these designated players, first season only one and now two are all baby steps to ultimately abandon the salary cap all together.

18 minutes ago, Mr MO said:

I remember something that back in the day marquee players had to be improved by the FFA.

The introduction of these designated players, first season only one and now two are all baby steps to ultimately abandon the salary cap all together.

They still do, but its more for the purposes of making sure clubs arent using it to rort the system.

When the guest slot, and for Cahill the marquee guest slot were used, they were subject to more stringent marketability criteria when being approved by FFA.

Agree re being transitional rules.

My opinion is that this marquee and now designated player has had its day and needs to be removed. 

I think they should introduce 4 players, any 4 players have no restrictions, that is cap and visa.

Simple and might improve quality of visa players and still give enough opportunities for local players. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jovan said:

My opinion is that this marquee and now designated player has had its day and needs to be removed. 

I think they should introduce 4 players, any 4 players have no restrictions, that is cap and visa.

Simple and might improve quality of visa players and still give enough opportunities for local players. 

I like that but basically, they should have a cap and up between two to four players outside the cap (depending on A-League finances). Then the clubs can do what they want - so if Perth want Sturridge because of name recognition then sure, if Sydney finds another Wankovic then fine. No need for approval from anyone else.

6 minutes ago, Baka1 said:

Sign Mooy already

He's contracted to Shanghai Port until July 2023 but I don't know when he last played for them. Transfermarkt doesn't have any information on him for the current season, but I checked and he wasn't in their match-day squad for their last match.

3 hours ago, jw1739 said:

He's contracted to Shanghai Port until July 2023 but I don't know when he last played for them. Transfermarkt doesn't have any information on him for the current season, but I checked and he wasn't in their match-day squad for their last match.

Move JMAC in a designated spot and use the marquee allocation for Mooy.

29 minutes ago, kingofhearts said:

Mooy will be signed by us by the end of the month. Just working out the finer details of his contract. Could also get massimo luongo too.

Remind me which one is the German you promised?

• Haha 1

18 hours ago, Missing_Moy said:

Where’s this $$ coming form lol

Just speculation here but we could have some $$ available with the 2 designated spots open and Jenkinson departing. Reis, JMAC, Florin and Leckie were our top earners, I can see it happening that all these players are within the cap now. Meaning marquee spots are open.

Edited by Mr MO
  • Like 1

• jw1739 pinned this topic