Melbourne Football

Transfer Talk, Rumours and Speculation

jw1739

3 hours ago, neio said:

One thing I'd like us to bring in next season, is a genuine back up striker that's different to Maclaren. At the moment we have Cola, who has a very similar play style

When Sydney were really good, they had Bobo/Lefondre but then they had Matt Simon on the bench that provided a different option when things weren't going well. 

I don't necessarily mean this guy cause I think he is a little overrated but someone like Bernie Ibini, just to give us a different option. Especially in the air against monsters like Lacroix and Imai last night 

Cola isn't really a striker. We have just used him as fillin because we don't have another option.

However, we can't have another genuine option because PK won't manage people's time so they will just be pissed off or won't even sign in first place.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, malloy said:

Cola isn't really a striker. We have just used him as fillin because we don't have another option.

However, we can't have another genuine option because PK won't manage people's time so they will just be pissed off or won't even sign in first place.

Also seems likely that Cola will sadly be playing sometime else next season 😕

19 minutes ago, Zanty said:

yea rumour has it Cola is off to Perth, might pave way for Max Caputo to come into the side

Can't blame him as Paddy the spaz wouldn't give him adequate game time to develop. If he does go will be quite sad given he wasn't even given an opportunity in the GF to say bye... 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, MHFC-FAN said:

Can't blame him as Paddy the spaz wouldn't give him adequate game time to develop. If he does go will be quite sad given he wasn't even given an opportunity in the GF to say bye... 

I noticed that too. Reminded me of Noone, didn’t get given any minutes in GF with the rumours of him leaving.

7 minutes ago, Mr MO said:

I noticed that too. Reminded me of Noone, didn’t get given any minutes in GF with the rumours of him leaving.

So no point in putting him on the bench in the first place...

There are just so many unanswered questions about this season.

14 minutes ago, Mr MO said:

It's either an immature response from the coaching staff. or potentially a contract clause of the new club to limit his minutes to minimise risk of injury... 

50 minutes ago, MHFC-FAN said:

It's either an immature response from the coaching staff. or potentially a contract clause of the new club to limit his minutes to minimise risk of injury... 

Geez the latter would be a stretch, after all you are still employed by one club and have not started with the other. Loan players would be different.

Edited by Mr MO

18 minutes ago, Mr MO said:

Geez the latter would be stretch, after all you are still employed by one club and have started with the other. Loan players would be different.

Yeah I was thinking it sounded a bit extreme when I wrote it... Either way he was inexcusably given shit all game time this season. 

18 minutes ago, Mr MO said:

Geez the latter would be stretch, after all you are still employed by one club and have started with the other. Loan players would be different.

IMO Cola is just a less severe case of Pucciarellitis and they have both been infected by Mr. Kisnorbo. Endoh seems to have the same virus, as does Lesiotis. We've seen them before - Fornaroli and Kilkenny with Warren Joyce - and a notable one would be Jonathan Bru with Victory.

As I posted earlier, there are a lot of questions that can quite rightly be asked about this season. We even took Pucci to Bangkok... WTF for I don't know - perhaps we hoped he'd commit some heinous crime in a Thai massage parlour that would enable us to terminate him?

I think it's possible that clubs might agree to not playing a contracted player if they are negotiating a transfer - such as Atkinson - but where a player has already signed for next season with another club and his existing club wants to play hardball then I can't see any reason why the player should not play. If the player wants to go immediately, then his existing club can agree to release him if they no longer require him.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, HughJass said:

In one of the articles pre GF in the herald Sun mentioned that a few clubs  from Europe (Italy, Belgium and another) are circling Tilio and a good chance of a 7 figure transfer fee involved 

Please tell me this isn't true 😭 He is such a good impact player for us! 

39 minutes ago, heart1011 said:

Please tell me this isn't true 😭 He is such a good impact player for us! 

48 minutes ago, HughJass said:

In one of the articles pre GF in the herald Sun mentioned that a few clubs  from Europe (Italy, Belgium and another) are circling Tilio and a good chance of a 7 figure transfer fee involved 

I reckon it will be too soon for him to go elsewhere. He needs to become a regular starting 11 player. Otherwise if he goes too soon he will likely end up like Arzani did... 

• Like 3

26 minutes ago, Missing_Moy said:

Need to sign a genuine star box to box midfielder IMO only hole I see in the squad 

We have 3 visa spots to play with so shouldn’t be that hard to refresh and go again!

Yes definitely a proper Cam to replace Metcalfe. Glover doesn't fill me with much confidence. Either he picks up his game and becomes a hell of a lot more consistent or we look for alternatives. 

4 minutes ago, MHFC-FAN said:

Yes definitely a proper Cam to replace Metcalfe. Glover doesn't fill me with much confidence. Either he picks up his game and becomes a hell of a lot more consistent or we look for alternatives. 

Just go through the list and look at who's out of contract. At the very least we have to replace Glover, Griffiths, and Metcalfe, and if there are no re-signings of those coming out of contract then there are plenty of other spaces that have to be filled.

14 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

Just go through the list and look at who's out of contract. At the very least we have to replace Glover, Griffiths, and Metcalfe, and if there are no re-signings of those coming out of contract then there are plenty of other spaces that have to be filled.

Yes for Glover but I think could give Griffiths one more season as a back up CB and CDM. Not to be relied on as a starter but he gives us reasonable depth... 

• Like 3

Tilio has been gone forever, the club we're just looking for the best offer to sell him.

We're still on the whole a very good team, we just need to following signings and we'll be right:

1) a proper goalkeeper (should use a visa on this spot)

2) Two attacking mids (use another visa here too)

3) a winger to replace tilio.

All that plus the club gets some coaches in to make PK more accountable and we're laughing.

37 minutes ago, kingofhearts said:

Tilio has been gone forever, the club we're just looking for the best offer to sell him.

We're still on the whole a very good team, we just need to following signings and we'll be right:

1) a proper goalkeeper (should use a visa on this spot)

2) Two attacking mids (use another visa here too)

3) a winger to replace tilio.

All that plus the club gets some coaches in to make PK more accountable and we're laughing.

Apparently a representative of an EPL club was at the grand final to watch Tilio 

I am not a huge fan of using a visa spot on a goalkeeper when someone like Paul Izzo will be available as a free agent,

Even though he still has a year left on his contract I can assume we will be seeing a "Melbourne City and Manuel Pucciarelli agree on mutual termination" article in the next month, I also think the club should go for out of contract Massimo Luongo as a Metcalfe replacement.   

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Zanty said:

Apparently a representative of an EPL club was at the grand final to watch Tilio 

I am not a huge fan of using a visa spot on a goalkeeper when someone like Paul Izzo will be available as a free agent,

Even though he still has a year left on his contract I can assume we will be seeing a "Melbourne City and Manuel Pucciarelli agree on mutual termination" article in the next month, I also think the club should go for out of contract Massimo Luongo as a Metcalfe replacement.   

Still feel it's a little early for Tilio to move overseas...definitely don't see why we would waste another season with Pucciarelli on the bench. Luongo could be interesting, is he any good these days? 

7 minutes ago, MHFC-FAN said:

Still feel it's a little early for Tilio to move overseas...definitely don't see why we would waste another season with Pucciarelli on the bench. Luongo could be interesting, is he any good these days? 

Had to look up Luongo. Apparently plays for Sheffield Wednesday in League 1, age 29 and contract expires in June.

I am undecided on the profile of the player that should replace Metcalfe. Luongo does fit the bill but at 29?

16 minutes ago, MHFC-FAN said:

Luongo had a few injury issues but was really good this season for Wednesday, only con is his injury history tbh but the same questions were asked about Curtis Good and the only time he has been out since he returned was with covid, 29 aswell so he would be the perfect age

Greetings fellow City fans. Long time reader, first time poster!

Id be very happy with a move for Luongo. Still a number of good years in front of him and has shown a good eye for goal over his career. Had a great work rate at Swindon and QPR, so provided his body is still up to it he’s got the right attributes to play our game style.

• Like 6

Goodness me. What's the Academy there for if we've got to be signing players in their late 20s? And if we are going to go for established players, I'd like to see more overt use of the "resources" of CFG. They don't seem to do a lot for us these days.

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

Goodness me. What's the Academy there for if we've got to be signing players in their late 20s? And if we are going to go for established players, I'd like to see more overt use of the "resources" of CFG. They don't seem to do a lot for us these days.

I don't have a problem with using the academy but the only regular midfielder we have is Berenguer once Metcalfe is gone. Gomulka, Oneil and Tilio have been tried there. For me Oneil is more defensive and Gomulka stops players on their tracks but not so creative. 

I don't know enough about our NPL teams to know whether there is a budding player there or not. Also there is no guarantee that PK will actually give them game time to develop - ask Cola.

39 minutes ago, Nick said:

Greetings fellow City fans. Long time reader, first time poster!

Id be very happy with a move for Luongo. Still a number of good years in front of him and has shown a good eye for goal over his career. Had a great work rate at Swindon and QPR, so provided his body is still up to it he’s got the right attributes to play our game style.

Welcome aboard the city psych ward... 

Jokes aside he could be a good fit potentially. The bit issue would be his injury history and whether he would have the durability. 

26 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

Is there anyone currently in the academy that you know of that we could bring in for Metcalfe? 

26 minutes ago, NewConvert said:

I don't have a problem with using the academy but the only regular midfielder we have is Berenguer once Metcalfe is gone. Gomulka, Oneil and Tilio have been tried there. For me Oneil is more defensive and Gomulka stops players on their tracks but not so creative. 

I don't know enough about our NPL teams to know whether there is a budding player there or not. Also there is no guarantee that PK will actually give them game time to develop - ask Cola.

Your last sentence is really my point and probably my post should be in another thread. Not only does PK need to me more flexible, he needs to be on the same songsheet as the club. No point in running an Academy and relocating to Casey etc. etc. if all he's going to do is ignore the young players we produce.

All this tends to make me feel that we've lost the plot somewhat and we need to press the reset button and get back to what I thought we stood for.

Another point I will add is that I think we should look to recruit more from east Asia than we have in the past.

Edited by jw1739
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

Your last sentence is really my point and probably my post should be in another thread. Not only does PK need to me more flexible, he needs to be on the same songsheet as the club. No point in running an Academy and relocating to Casey etc. etc. if all he's going to do is ignore the young players we produce.

All this tends to make me feel that we've lost the plot somewhat and we need to press the reset button and get back to what I thought we stood for.

We need a well equiped manager, one who can be involved in the academy as well as being the manager for the A-League team. PK only has one year of youth coaching under his belt and that was in an assitant role. 

18 hours ago, jw1739 said:

we are a club who constantly want to be competing and winning trophies and we will only start an academy player if we believe they are ready (metcalfe as an example) I don't see any box to box midfielders who are ready for starting XI yet

• jw1739 pinned this topic