Melbourne Football

Transfer Talk, Rumours and Speculation

jw1739

7 minutes ago, neio said:

Callum Talbot released from Sydney. There has been rumors he has signed for us for a few weeks. Looking likely now 

Kinda weird signing. Hopefully he's just LB/RB cover for Bos and Galloway next season as he's been bog average in the games I've watched.

Good age at least.

21 minutes ago, Nate said:

Kinda weird signing. Hopefully he's just LB/RB cover for Bos and Galloway next season as he's been bog average in the games I've watched.

Good age at least.

It makes sense if we’ve finally come to the conclusion that we need the Jenkinson dollars for the middle of the park. Stay local for certain spots.

Edited by Mr MO
  • Like 4

Haven’t watched much of Sydney but it would be really hard for a young defender to shine in a team playing so poorly.

Sydney fans seem really upset to have lost him, perhaps we’re not retaining one of Jenkinson/Galloway and Talbot is being brought in for cover. Have read that Talbot has played out of position at Sydney as he’s actually a RB and not a LB.

39 minutes ago, Deluka said:

Haven’t watched much of Sydney but it would be really hard for a young defender to shine in a team playing so poorly.

Sydney fans seem really upset to have lost him, perhaps we’re not retaining one of Jenkinson/Galloway and Talbot is being brought in for cover. Have read that Talbot has played out of position at Sydney as he’s actually a RB and not a LB.

Jenkinson's loan is about to come to an end. So they need a replacement for him.

I've enjoyed Jenko's stay with us. Stats show he has played 26 games for us 19 the full 90. 3 goals and they've been handy, only 4 yellows which is pretty good for a defender.  Can also fill in at CB and whilst not as attacking as say Atkinson still gets in close to the box at times. Like his height also in what is a pretty short side. Really made one horrible error, that lame back pass but has been pretty consistent. Also seems to play for the jersey and not inclined to hold back in a scuffle and looks like he's enjoying himself. If we can get him in the cap or if we can get rid of Pucci and use his space, remembering next year we have an additional spot outside the cap. I'd like to keep him. Very similar to Reis as a player and individual and I like those sort of guys.

• Like 1

I'd keep him at the right price, say sub 300k. But i doubt we'll have the opportunity to keep him at those numbers and i definitely wouldn't pay overs.

Hes solid and serviceable and has the flexibility to play CB, but hes hardly setting the house on fire either.

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, bt50 said:

I'd keep him at the right price, say sub 300k. But i doubt we'll have the opportunity to keep him at those numbers and i definitely wouldn't pay overs.

Hes solid and serviceable and has the flexibility to play CB, but hes hardly setting the house on fire either.

IMO we can, and should, make better use of visa places. Another 30-y-o too. No thanks. For me we should be playing Galloway and Bos as our wing-backs next season and surely there's someone in the Academy who's coming through? Either that or this Callum Talbot who looks to be far better value than Jenkinson.

• Like 1

I think you also need some older heads in defence. There's a push by the APL to bring in some sugar hit marquees next season and you can imagine they're not going to be defenders so it might not be the greatest year to rely on two more attack minded full backs in Galloway and Bos and then a kid rejected by Sydney. Especially as Jamo at 33 is not as quick as he was and may get used sparingly next year.

1 hour ago, HughJass said:

Syd Fc cutting 12 players https://www.ftbl.com.au/news/sydney-fc-take-axe-to-a-league-squad-580235

Anyone else we would want?

Just reading the actual article and it appears that there are several more players who are off-contract in June and whose future is also not necessarily with Sydney. So in fact more than 12 players may ultimately leave the club.

https://www.sydneyfc.com/news/sydney-fc-rebuild-begins-as-12-players-move-on

Edited by jw1739

3 hours ago, NewConvert said:

If Rogic wishes to return to Oz should he be an option?

I don't think you can answer this sort of question without considering a player in the context of the whole squad. Otherwise you may end up with a squad of players that individually look good but as a unit don't play that well together, and possibly end up like Sydney this season. Rogic would certainly expect to be a starting player so who's he going to replace out of our current squad? Metcalfe? So a front five of Leckie, Berenguer, Rogic, Maclaren and Nabbout? You're going to end up with the oldest squad in the business.

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

I don't think you can answer this sort of question without considering a player in the context of the whole squad. Otherwise you may end up with a squad of players that individually look good but as a unit don't play that well together, and possibly end up like Sydney this season. Rogic would certainly expect to be a starting player so who's he going to replace out of our current squad? Metcalfe? So a front five of Leckie, Berenguer, Rogic, Maclaren and Nabbout? You're going to end up with the oldest squad in the business.

How is that any different then having Pucci?

13 hours ago, Mr MO said:

How is that any different then having Pucci?

I guess it's pretty much the same as both Pucci and Endoh. We seem determined to play a particular line-up, not only to the exclusion of Pucci and Endoh, but also moving Tilio to a position that doesn't suit him, and also excludes Cola, two of our stars from last season. I'm not saying that this approach is wrong, but I'm questioning what role we would see for Rogic - I don't think he'd want to spend a season on the bench.

4 hours ago, jw1739 said:

I guess it's pretty much the same as both Pucci and Endoh. We seem determined to play a particular line-up, not only to the exclusion of Pucci and Endoh, but also moving Tilio to a position that doesn't suit him, and also excludes Cola, two of our stars from last season. I'm not saying that this approach is wrong, but I'm questioning what role we would see for Rogic - I don't think he'd want to spend a season on the bench.

I would like to think the Pucci debacle is a one-off and not to be repeated in a designated player form. So if you bring a Rogic level player, he must play. Of course Pucci will be let go.

Tilio is perhaps just playing there out of necessity?

Edited by Mr MO

39 minutes ago, Le Hack said:

Heard a rumour we're interested in Alex Parsons from Roar. 5 goals from 23 games. I'm assuming a Colakovski replacement. Just been dropped from Roar's roster Thoughts?

I liked the look of him when he bursted on the scene last season. I wonder what happened this season, don’t think played much this season.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Le Hack said:

Heard a rumour we're interested in Alex Parsons from Roar. 5 goals from 23 games. I'm assuming a Colakovski replacement. Just been dropped from Roar's roster Thoughts?

He played 12 games this season for 2 goals. Was played more as a RM I believe then a winger? Bit hard to tell how good he is as Brisbane were trash this season... I would imagine he would likely be coming in to replace the likely departure of Colakovski. So at best he'll be coming off the bench. 

15 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

Wow, three years. We must have a lot of confidence in the lad. Joins the squad for next season. Replacement for Atkinson.

https://www.melbournecityfc.com.au/news/melbourne-city-fc-signs-australian-u23-defender-callum-talbot

I'd better get busy with the squad details for next season...

Can you update now please? At least then we know we get another signing tomorrow.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

32 minutes ago, Zanty said:

I have seen on Twitter that we are interested in James Delianov of Adelaide United next season as a Glover replacement, he was in our academy and was pretty decent for Adelaide before he got injured, only 22 as well 

Very interesting if true. Or would he be brought in to oust Sutton and have good competition for that starting spot? 

35 minutes ago, Zanty said:

I have seen on Twitter that we are interested in James Delianov of Adelaide United next season as a Glover replacement, he was in our academy and was pretty decent for Adelaide before he got injured, only 22 as well 

He played one A-League match for City but was released and went to Western United, did his ACL and missed a whole season. Joe Gauci was also with us, poached from Adelaide and then returned to them. Glover has another year on his contract.

30 minutes ago, NewConvert said:

Yes, wrong age for me but I would have him so that the club culture can grow. I wonder what his long term plans are?

Oh, of course, he could give us a good couple of seasons. The problem is the cap, isn't it. We have Bos, Jamo, Galloway and now Talbot.

One thing I'd like us to bring in next season, is a genuine back up striker that's different to Maclaren. At the moment we have Cola, who has a very similar play style

When Sydney were really good, they had Bobo/Lefondre but then they had Matt Simon on the bench that provided a different option when things weren't going well. 

I don't necessarily mean this guy cause I think he is a little overrated but someone like Bernie Ibini, just to give us a different option. Especially in the air against monsters like Lacroix and Imai last night 

As above, we have players on long-term contracts so where is the cap space going to be made? We're weak in midfield now, and gaps to fill everywhere. We didn't move anyone last night - Maclaren stayed where he was ineffective, Leckie was doing nothing on the right and Nabbout precious little on the left. Raphael wasn't on the bench. At least when Nooney was here he'd pop up all over the place. We played right into Aloisi's plan and stayed there.

• jw1739 pinned this topic