Melbourne Football

Transfer Talk, Rumours and Speculation

jw1739

5 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

Just in passing it now looks as though Metcalfe will be playing 2 Bundesliga football next season. St. Pauli have fallen off their perch and now lie 5th, neck-and-neck with cross-town rivals Hamburger SV with two matches to play.

Very hard to get back up from 2 Bundesliga once you're in it, as Hamburger SV are finding.

Short term that’s only positive for him as he will get more game time in the 2nd Bundesliga. He’s not ready for starting spot in the Bundesliga.

36 minutes ago, Imtellingyou said:

The 2. Bundesliga will be like walking on the Moon,  based on his display in international matches for Socceroos and City. There is a huge gap in standards between leagues. If he can success there and come back more years later, as Leckie,  great. 

Yes. You have Schalke and Werder Bremen in there this season. This is not chicken shit.

Denis Genreau will be in France Ligue 1 next season with Toulouse. Just to walk out on the field would be a dream come true.

Hopefully these lads will make it and return to us some day.

• Like 3

Hearing that having already lost Keanu Baccus, Phill Cancar and Thomas Aquilina, Western Sydney Wanderers risk losing young midfielder Alessandro Lopane (2004) to Melbourne City, who view the young attacking midfielder as a replacement for St Pauli-bound Connor Metcalfe.

12 minutes ago, NewConvert said:

Been watching some CCM games and I think that Lewis Miller could be a good signing to replace Griffiths. Tall, strong, athletic and a bit of nous about him.

Agreed, I rate him. Caused us lots of trouble. I did read somewhere he’s signed with MacArthurs already.

38 minutes ago, Mr MO said:

Agreed, I rate him. Caused us lots of trouble. I did read somewhere he’s signed with MacArthurs already.

On 13th April it was carried as a purported move by the newspapers reported as "Milicic confirmed he was interested in bringing MiIller to the Bulls for next season" but then on 26th April came the news that Milicic was departing Macarthur.

I haven't found anything further.

1 hour ago, Mr MO said:

IMO this has to happen. The article is somewhat disingenuous concerning David Villa. All of us thought that he was with us for 10 matches, and there were 15,717 to see his first match at AAMI, and 13,083 at the second. I'm not sure exactly what date it was revealed that he was staying for only four matches, which was a huge let-down for the fans and for the league, but to say that he had limited impact is not telling the whole story.

Edited by jw1739
  • Like 3

IMO we also need to know more about these "target players" that may be brought to the League - who they are and how they will be funded and distributed between the clubs etc. Are we going to increase the allowed squad numbers, visa numbers? Are these players going to fill the second designated player slot? It's all a bit up in the air.

Rogic is not a bums-on-seats player in my book.

4 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

IMO we also need to know more about these "target players" that may be brought to the League - who they are and how they will be funded and distributed between the clubs etc. Are we going to increase the allowed squad numbers, visa numbers? Are these players going to fill the second designated player slot? It's all a bit up in the air.

Rogic is not a bums-on-seats player in my book.

Do we want a bums-on-seats player? Will just be another Sturridge situation.

1 hour ago, haz said:

Do we want a bums-on-seats player? Will just be another Sturridge situation.

I think the A-League does. The question is whether they get players that break down the minute the plane touches the tarmac or whether they are here on a working 'holiday'. If they can get bums on seat players that are competitive and don't break down that would be fine.

I would also do a lot more to promote the talented youngsters that the A-League has.

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, NewConvert said:

I think the A-League does. The question is whether they get players that break down the minute the plane touches the tarmac or whether they are here on a working 'holiday'. If they can get bums on seat players that are competitive and don't break down that would be fine.

I would also do a lot more to promote the talented youngsters that the A-League has.

It is more exciting to watch a young up and coming youth player than these old injury prone ex stars...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, NewConvert said:

Ah, yes, publicity. That's a sore point with me too. Different thread I think, but a lot more could be done to promote the game.

15 minutes ago, Baka1 said:

Question, is it now 3 designated/ marquee players that aren’t counted towards the cap? Not sure how many can be Aussie/ International either.

The way I read it, it is four for next season. Two marquees, who can be from anywhere and AFAIK on any salary, and two designated, but no information on any limitations on these except the salary range. And why that limited range I don't know unless it's to prevent a club having four marquees on unlimited money. A sort of "soft cap?"

21 hours ago, Mr MO said:

We should just raid the Phoenix - get Talay, Piscopo and Sail. Then Ben Wayne as back up for JMAC.

However for Wayne and Sail being Kiwis, I think they count as Visa players?

I believe Sail has an aussie passport so I dont think he would count as a visa + his contract isn't up till 2023, Piscopo is someone I would love city to sign as he is a free agent in a couple months but where would he fit in the side?

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Zanty said:

I believe Sail has an aussie passport so I dont think he would count as a visa + his contract isn't up till 2023, Piscopo is someone I would love city to sign as he is a free agent in a couple months but where would he fit in the side?

We have no cover for Berenguer. Tilio belongs on the wing unless he changes his attitude towards lazy and slack final balls.

34 minutes ago, Mr MO said:

We have no cover for Berenguer. Tilio belongs on the wing unless he changes his attitude towards lazy and slack final balls.

IMO we're going to need a replacement for Berenguer after another season. Recruiting this coming off-season and the one after that is going to be very interesting.

1 hour ago, Zanty said:

Piscopo is flashy but he's such a one-way runner. I don't think he'd work well in our system.

22 minutes ago, Nate said:

Piscopo is flashy but he's such a one-way runner. I don't think he'd work well in our system.

Agree. Very one dimensional. Whether he needs a new team to develop or is just the way he is, that is the question. And one that I have no interest for City to try out.

• jw1739 pinned this topic