Melbourne Football

Transfer Talk, Rumours and Speculation

jw1739

54 minutes ago, Deluka said:

That line up is formidable at this level, would love to see how this team stacks up in Asia, I really hope we get the opportunity to!

If we're playing in Asia do we not need at least one non-Australian Asian Fed player? Got to be good enough to play in the ACL games. So that would presumably the one missing piece?

41 minutes ago, fensaddler said:

If we're playing in Asia do we not need at least one non-Australian Asian Fed player? Got to be good enough to play in the ACL games. So that would presumably the one missing piece?

No we dont NEED one. You can only take three foreigners in, plus one more that is Asian confed if you have one. There's no obligation to have one or play one though.

As it stands we don't need to leave anyone out as we are only utilising three foreign spots. Should we sign another, unless its an asian we will be required to omit someone from the ACL squad.

*All assuming we arent disqualified after the last ACL withdrawal, but im confident this wont be the case given the circumstances.

Edited by bt50
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, bt50 said:

Pinched from Twitter, but squad as it stands. Looks pretty good to me tbh.

we still have another midfielder on the way apparently, I wonder if it will be a more defensive minded player? This team needs a solid experienced 6 IMO for balance unless we were to trust O'Neill but he is not a traditional 6 imo. We could also go with Griffiths but he is quite injury prone now

1 hour ago, fensaddler said:

The ACL 2022 Group Stage is in April and will be in Centralized Hubs, hopefully by then Quarantine restrictions are a bit more relaxed like planned and we can compete without major interruption, The difference this year is there is no deadline the season has to finish by so I am a bit more optimistic about us competing in it.

3 minutes ago, Zanty said:

we still have another midfielder on the way apparently, I wonder if it will be a more defensive minded player? This team needs a solid experienced 6 IMO for balance unless we were to trust O'Neill but he is not a traditional 6 imo. We could also go with Griffiths but he is quite injury prone now

Oneill proved he was more than competent when he returned last season imo, and Griff was also very good in the role. I prob see Rostyn as more of a CB tbh, but i think Oneill, Griff and Gomulka are quite adequate as a three

• Like 6

18 minutes ago, bt50 said:

Oneill proved he was more than competent when he returned last season imo, and Griff was also very good in the role. I prob see Rostyn as more of a CB tbh, but i think Oneill, Griff and Gomulka are quite adequate as a three

True, any update on this midfielder of German descent? 

23 minutes ago, MHFC-FAN said:

We will chalk up some pretty hefty wins against the weaker teams and definitely be very competitive all season!!

I just look at the substitutes...Cola, who set up the first goal in the GF, Galloway , who scored the sealing goal in the GF, and Tilio, who scored a ripper against Argentina at the World Cup...does any other A-League club have a line-up like this?

1 minute ago, Shahanga said:

He caught a train through Germany when he was a kid.

green line to @kingofhearts

Pale green only. 

8 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

I just look at the substitutes...Cola, who set up the first goal in the GF, Galloway , who scored the sealing goal in the GF, and Tilio, who scored a ripper against Argentina at the World Cup...does any other A-League club have a line-up like this?

There is substantial talent and depth there. We've built on a winning squad, and made relatively modest changes. Our starting squad will have a lot of continuity from last season and the players will already know each other and the system. Our two big new signings look on paper to be upgrades on the much loved players they replaced. 

The weakness will be complacency. We cannot enter next season believing we are too good to lose, and that we don't have to try. There are teams in the league who will definitely be better than last season, and good as last season was, I'd expect the standard to lift again. As champions everyone will want to knock us off and they will raise their game. Victory won't concede 6 and 7 this season, much as we might wish it. If we're up for it, our squad is good enough, but from the pitch to the top of the stand, we're going to need to be up for it.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Zanty said:

O'Neill is definitely a capable 6 and performed to a really high standard in that position when he was able to get onto the pitch. I think he's better suited there as the anchor than as the box-to-box type that Metcalfe is anyway, as he reads the play well, can hit a sweet long ball and is tough as nails in the tackle. Griff was also having his best season with us prior to injury and if fit, he's a more than capable stop-gap solution both in that CDM position and as a centre back if needed. 

I think the squad's perfect atm and should we sign anyone else, personally it's a bonus as far as I'm concerned.

Edited by Nate
  • Like 4

So basically we have replaced Noone with Leckie and Luna with Pucciarelli so hopefully both as good but probably better. 

Big bonus gives us a visa spot still available, I'm hoping they hold off and only use it in January if we cop massive injury/form issues. 

As with last season we've done our business early and now have time to work. 

Couldn't ask for more.

4 minutes ago, Jovan said:

So basically we have replaced Noone with Leckie and Luna with Pucciarelli so hopefully both as good but probably better. 

Big bonus gives us a visa spot still available, I'm hoping they hold off and only use it in January if we cop massive injury/form issues. 

Couldn't ask for more.

Have 2 visa spots up our sleeve which is handy squad is done. Like these comments from Petrillo 

“We took our time in making this choice, not only were we looking for these attributes, we also want a player with the ability and desire to work hard in and out of possession, which is a vital for the way we play football.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Nate said:

O'Neill is definitely a capable 6 and performed to a high really high standard in that position when he was able to get onto the pitch. I think he's better suited there as the anchor than as the box-to-box type that Metcalfe is anyway, as he reads the play well, can hit a sweet long ball and is tough as nails in the tackle. Griff was also having his best season with us prior to injury and if fit, he's a more than capable stop-gap solution both in that CDM position and as a centre back if needed

We need to tweak our approach this season. Sides will be familiar with our style and setup to exploit it. We aren't that much better that we can play the same way regardless of the opponent. I'd rather us sign less visa players but spend more on better quality players whilst using more of our local academy players

55 minutes ago, Jovan said:

Couldn't ask for more.

Our Japanse player and Benny left, I take Ben got replaced with this NPL player?

Don’t we need one Asian player for ACL?

39 minutes ago, belaguttman said:

We need to tweak our approach this season. Sides will be familiar with our style and setup to exploit it. We aren't that much better that we can play the same way regardless of the opponent. I'd rather us sign less visa players but spend more on better quality players whilst using more of our local academy players

No doubt evolution is important in any sport but our system is based on fundamentals or principles that will always make a football team relatively competitive, provided that we’ve got quality players that suit the system.

What concerns me is not that we’re sticking to our philosophy (or improving it incrementally) but that others will catch up to us. But whilst we’ve got the resources to find, attract and develop good players (both first team and academy), I think it will always be a case of us setting the bar for others to reach. It’s taken a while but we’re there.

35 minutes ago, Mr MO said:

Our Japanse player and Benny left, I take Ben got replaced with this NPL player?

Don’t we need one Asian player for ACL?

True, I was basically looking at locked in starting players. 

3 minutes ago, Harrison said:

No doubt evolution is important in any sport but our system is based on fundamentals or principles that will always make a football team relatively competitive, provided that we’ve got quality players that suit the system.

What concerns me is not that we’re sticking to our philosophy (or improving it incrementally) but that others will catch up to us. But whilst we’ve got the resources to find, attract and develop good players (both first team and academy), I think it will always be a case of us setting the bar for others to reach. It’s taken a while but we’re there.

Agree, do what works, but do it better. 

41 minutes ago, belaguttman said:

IMO you're off the target there @belaguttman. We have just 3 visa players at the moment. We are allowed 5.
I think if you look through the squad you can't complain that we are short on Australian players. We have three full Academy products in Atkinson, Metcalfe and Colakovski, several more who spent some time in the Academy, and we also have 7 current Academy players on Scholarships.

3 minutes ago, Jovan said:

True, I was basically looking at locked in starting players. 

Agree, do what works, but do it better. 

Well said there, PK.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Harrison said:

With our Italian you know have the flexibility to play with 2 upfront, false nine and a proper nine. Behind you can have a diamond shape midfield of Leckie, Nabbout on the sides with Metcalf or Berenguer with Aiden as DM.

• Like 1

So Partaluu is avaialble according to A League Hub having left Bengaluru FC in India. 

Bengaluru FC and Australian midfielder Erik Paartalu have parted ways by mutual consent. [

]

Any body else think he could be a decent Defensive mid CB backup option? he re tweeted and commented on one of his goal memories from 2014 City posted on twitter

Do we have room or is he affordable?

Edited by citymad
shit spelling

1 hour ago, citymad said:

So Partaluu is avaialble according to A League Hub having left Bengaluru FC in India. 

Bengaluru FC and Australian midfielder Erik Paartalu have parted ways by mutual consent. [

]

Any body else think he could be a decent Defensive mid CB backup option? he re tweeted and commented on one of his goal memories from 2014 City posted on twitter

Personally I think we’ve moved on.

We already have O’Neill, Griffiths and Gomulka in the position. The first two are clearly better options.

• Like 6

1 hour ago, citymad said:

]

Imo think he will stay in India 

1 hour ago, bt50 said:

Imo he was never a very good dm. His best asset as a player is that he was a very dangerous threat aerially, but i dont think he was anywhere near good enough at breaking down play and passing to surpass either of ONeill or Griff

100000% lad. I recall back then calling him a sieve and I'm sure he would only have gone further backwards since. 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
57 minutes ago, CityBoyz said:

We have Galloway but bringing a backup would be needed cause we don’t have LB cover as well. 

Galloway is good but if he gets injured then we are screwed and the fullback is such an important position in our style of play. I think we should take advantage of our +1 AFC player for the ACL and bring in someone from japan or korea in fullback, their seasons just ended so I assume there is lots of free agents as city rarely go out and buy players

• Like 2

• jw1739 pinned this topic