Melbourne Football

Transfer Talk, Rumours and Speculation

jw1739

Manuel Pucciarelli, apparently is coming to Melbourne FC - not sure which Melbourne team (I think there is a real translation issue) 

But I found this, if they are talking about Asian Champions League well it has to be us

"In the interview with TMW, the market operator Fabrizio Ferrari talked about the future of Manuel Pucciarelli, released after the disappearance of ChievoVerona from the championships: "Melbourne? We have an opportunity abroad. We are close to a possibility in Australia. An opportunity for both sides: for Melbourne to secure a player with experience in Italy, for Manuel to play in the Champions League. It's a high-level league "."

Edited by neio
  • Like 1

53 minutes ago, neio said:

Manuel Pucciarelli, apparently is coming to Melbourne FC - not sure which Melbourne team (I think there is a real translation issue) 

But I found this, if they are talking about Asian Champions League well it has to be us

"In the interview with TMW, the market operator Fabrizio Ferrari talked about the future of Manuel Pucciarelli, released after the disappearance of ChievoVerona from the championships: "Melbourne? We have an opportunity abroad. We are close to a possibility in Australia. An opportunity for both sides: for Melbourne to secure a player with experience in Italy, for Manuel to play in the Champions League. It's a high-level league "."

I saw this and thought it has to be City, signing doesn’t make sense but the fact they said “Champions League” gives me a hint that it is us? 

Interesting signing. Not one that fills me with a lot of hope. A second striker isn’t really a position that we use and it’s a strange pick if he’s a back-up option. Luna was advanced for a midfielder but he wasn’t that attacking. Pucciarelli’s numbers aren’t terrific and it has been a while since he posted decent numbers for a season.

But I was wrong on Hendry. I guess we’ll wait and see. Still need a midfielder.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Harrison said:

Interesting signing. Not one that fills me with a lot of hope. A second striker isn’t really a position that we use and it’s a strange pick if he’s a back-up option. Luna was advanced for a midfielder but he wasn’t that attacking. Pucciarelli’s numbers aren’t terrific and it has been a while since he posted decent numbers for a season.

Apparently he's played a fair bit (and successfully) as an attacking mid.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Forever City said:

Intriguing. Can't really see the need for him tbh does he have the legs for our style of football?

If we are playing a three in midfield with Pucciarelli at 10 and this mysterious German midfielder alongside either O'Neil or Metcalfe.

Interesting indeed.

See this is what confuses me, Pucciarelli Metcalfe, German Midfielder in the midfield? Metcalfe playing defensive midfielder? I know he can do it but personally I prefer him as an 8, but then O’Neill on the bench? I thought he was solid last season 

• Like 2

What's interesting about this player is that report seems to suggest that he's 'close to signing', but heavily gives the impression that it isn't complete yet. That seems at odds with the information we've received insiders on this forum, and even the information that @Le Hack got from our membership team, that was we had already signed, with an announcement imminent. 

3 minutes ago, IssySG said:

What's interesting about this player is that report seems to suggest that he's 'close to signing', but heavily gives the impression that it isn't complete yet. That seems at odds with the information we've received insiders on this forum, and even the information that @Le Hack got from our membership team, that was we had already signed, with an announcement imminent. 

Maybe we have 2 signings one being Pucciarelli and the other being this other via midfielder 

2 hours ago, IssySG said:

Some of the articles made it sound like he was being shopped around to Australian clubs with the preference of "Melbourne FC" (presumably because of perceived financial capacity) as opposed to him actually being signed by us or any other club.

11 minutes ago, malloy said:

Some of the articles made it sound like he was being shopped around to Australian clubs with the preference of "Melbourne FC" (presumably because of perceived financial capacity) as opposed to him actually being signed by us or any other club.

Yea it is kinda hard to tell with the Italian to English translations it doesn't exactly all add up, from the article I read it is certainly close.  But I am hoping to see this other international midfielder first

11 hours ago, Zanty said:

Yea it is kinda hard to tell with the Italian to English translations it doesn't exactly all add up, from the article I read it is certainly close.  But I am hoping to see this other international midfielder first

Don’t we have any Italian hairdressers who can sort this out for us?

• Like 2

17 hours ago, haz said:

Hardly played at all last season. 

According to transfermarkt hasn't played much football at all for several seasons. Has a lot of time on the bench, and two long periods out injured.

If it's true then it seems odd to me considering the players we've already got on the books. Not particularly enthusiastic at this stage.

Edited by jw1739

If he does come, I'm sure he will be perfectly fine. 200 games in the Italian 1st and 2nd division is a fair achievement. Positionally it seems odd, but I think the club will be very mindful of having some reserves who can play multiple positions with the uncertainty of covid, and especially with having so many members of our front third having possibly international duty and who knows what that looks like in coming months 

• Like 2

It doesn't seem as bad as it seems if he does come to us. Many imports come to the a-league with bad CVs and come out to be a star. Berisha, Luna, Novillo was just a few French div 2 seasons wasn't he?? And if the a-league decides to be the only league in the world to have games whilst the socceroos have games overseas again, you could potentially lose Mcclaren, Leckie, Nabbout and even Atkinson. Not to mention if the under-23s you lose Tilio. The more attacking options the better especially if we get an injury or two

1 hour ago, DukeVader said:

It doesn't seem as bad as it seems if he does come to us. Many imports come to the a-league with bad CVs and come out to be a star. Berisha, Luna, Novillo was just a few French div 2 seasons wasn't he?? And if the a-league decides to be the only league in the world to have games whilst the socceroos have games overseas again, you could potentially lose Mcclaren, Leckie, Nabbout and even Atkinson. Not to mention if the under-23s you lose Tilio. The more attacking options the better especially if we get an injury or two

Everything is uncertain with COV-19 around, but APL has said that it will observe international breaks in the future (or at least for next season).

2 hours ago, DukeVader said:

Leckie and Maclaren said that they are not competing for the socceroos until international border restrictions ease

4 hours ago, neio said:

If he does come, I'm sure he will be perfectly fine. 200 games in the Italian 1st and 2nd division is a fair achievement. Positionally it seems odd, but I think the club will be very mindful of having some reserves who can play multiple positions with the uncertainty of covid, and especially with having so many members of our front third having possibly international duty and who knows what that looks like in coming months 

He averaged 68 minutes per game in Serie A and 43 in Serie B. 26 goals and very good disciplinary record - just 13 yellows and one red.

1 hour ago, Mr MO said:

I still reckon he will end up at Western United.

We always wanted a more experienced CF as a back up to JMAC and this one can also play AM. He will be fine on A-League level. Gives you also the flexibilty to switch to 4-4-2 when needed.

https://kick360.com.au/experienced-italian-forward-reportedly-in-negotiations-with-melbourne-city/

On 18/09/2021 at 4:12 PM, Harrison said:

Interesting, I think this could be a very smart signing.

On paper he is a massive upgrade over Luna, with over 130 Serie A games and almost 80 in Serie B under his belt, and still at a good age. Around 50 matches or so as an attacking mid in there for 11 goals isn't really that terrible. Depends on what else he can bring with his game.

However, the fact that he can play both as an AM and as a center forward  means he can serve as a potentially good back up option if J Mac goes down with an injury, instead of shoehorning Cola,Leckie or Nabbout up top.

My only concern would be lack of gametime over the past 2 seasons

2 hours ago, TJV said:

Interesting, I think this could be a very smart signing.

On paper he is a massive upgrade over Luna, with over 130 Serie A games and almost 80 in Serie B under his belt, and still at a good age. Around 50 matches or so as an attacking mid in there for 11 goals isn't really that terrible. Depends on what else he can bring with his game.

However, the fact that he can play both as an AM and as a center forward  means he can serve as a potentially good back up option if J Mac goes down with an injury, instead of shoehorning Cola,Leckie or Nabbout up top.

My only concern would be lack of gametime over the past 2 seasons

Yea people should know by now in the aleague not to question cvs people with great cvs have come and failed and others who have quite poor cvs have done really well. Only thing which confuses me is this other international midfielder we have supposedly brought in, if true then surely he’s been brought in as a squad player?

Positions that still need to be filled - a back up left back and if I'm being greedy I wouldn't hate if we got a back up striker who is different sort of like when Matt Simon went to Sydney (I don't want Matt Simon) give us a different look late in games if we need it. 

Edit - don't worry about defensive mid, I forgot we had Gomulka

Edited by neio

• jw1739 pinned this topic