Melbourne Football

Transfer Talk, Rumours and Speculation

jw1739

3 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

I'd missed this from back in June.

https://www.sbs.com.au/topics/sport/football/article/2021/06/10/league-ready-unleash-david-beckham-rule

This even mentions two additional players per club. I do wish that APL would get a website up and running. Fans need something to keep their interest. This is a huge change if true.

I must have misremembered it as being three additional players as this is the article that I originally saw.

But it does make me wonder whether these two spots (which my interpretation was that those spots would have their own cap) have been scrapped in favour of a designated player with essentially uncapped wages.

If those two spots have been scrapped, maybe the rationale was to allow one spot to try and encourage teams to bring in bigger names to spark more interest in the league.

4 hours ago, jw1739 said:

I'd missed this from back in June.

https://www.sbs.com.au/topics/sport/football/article/2021/06/10/league-ready-unleash-david-beckham-rule

This even mentions two additional players per club. I do wish that APL would get a website up and running. Fans need something to keep their interest. This is a huge change if true.

Mariners CEO said there would only be one new Marquee slot, unless we now have 3 marquees, 2 can be whatever the clubs want but the third needs to fit a certain criteria and then we also have the 2 new designated player slots? if this is the case then I believe Max Meyer could actually be viable

8 minutes ago, Zanty said:

Mariners CEO said there would only be one new Marquee slot, unless we now have 3 marquees, 2 can be whatever the clubs want but the third needs to fit a certain criteria and then we also have the 2 new designated player slots? if this is the case then I believe Max Meyer could actually be viable

We don't know whether it's 0, 1 or 2 yet. That's where I think football continues to shoot itself in the foot. How are we supposed to find out - by osmosis?

6 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

We don't know whether it's 0, 1 or 2 yet. That's where I think football continues to shoot itself in the foot. How are we supposed to find out - by osmosis?

Hopefully the A-league release the new salary cap rules on their website soon as it still has the old ones

27 minutes ago, Missing_Moy said:

W League signings keep tricking me thinking yea we announced someone.

If we sign just one gun midfielder are squad is set IMO 

I just ignore the emails now. Just waiting for @kingofhearts' mystery player to emerge from quarantine and the visa backlog at the Department of Home Affairs...

Was listening to the Asian Game podcast (was great for qualifier previews btw), and they mentioned that Mooy is struggling for game time and should seek out a loan.

I’m sure he’d be more likely to head back to Scotland to ensure he can still make NT duty but would love to see us bring him home after the World Cup.

1 hour ago, Deluka said:

Was listening to the Asian Game podcast (was great for qualifier previews btw), and they mentioned that Mooy is struggling for game time and should seek out a loan.

I’m sure he’d be more likely to head back to Scotland to ensure he can still make NT duty but would love to see us bring him home after the World Cup.

He hasn't played for Shanghai Port since 16th May. His contract runs until 31st July 2023 by which time he'll be almost 33.

5 hours ago, Imtellingyou said:

Leckie was that significant signing. With overall situation there is no reason to spend a lot. 

True, but we still have to improve and replace people who have left.

We still don't have a direct replacement for Luna announced yet and I wouldn't mind a backup left back, unless we go with someone from the academy 

2 hours ago, Deluka said:

Won't he have to wait till Jan to join a team in Scotland now?  By the time that comes around the Chinese Super League will have started again. Lets say he did get a loan move to Australia would his wage be outside the cap? 

1 hour ago, Le Hack said:

Signed up for my and my son's membership again today. Membership guy confirmed an international midfielder is to be announced soon. Didn't confirm he was German, just said interesting how the rumour mill goes around

Thursday 10am Thanks Off to transfermarket we go for free agent midfielders. 

Edited by CityBoyz
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Le Hack said:

Signed up for my and my son's membership again today. Membership guy confirmed an international midfielder is to be announced soon. Didn't confirm he was German, just said interesting how the rumour mill goes around

Shit, I'd better issue a new version of the squad quick smart then...

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, Le Hack said:

Did you straight up just ask the guy if there were new signings soon? Very Bold I must say

13 hours ago, Zanty said:

Did you straight up just ask the guy if there were new signings soon? Very Bold I must say

No just chatting and he goes 'You'll be excited to know we have an international signing coming on' so I said I'd heard it was a German midfielder. He said yeah right position but not German but exciting. Then I said to replace Luna and he confirmed. We then had a chat about Luna where he confirmed was being paid big bucks to go to Kerala and it was his last opportunity at a big pay check as he's just turned 30. City wanted to keep him because as he said he was a quality person but didn't stand in his way.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Le Hack said:

No just chatting and he goes 'You'll be excited to know we have an international signing coming on' so I said I'd heard it was a German midfielder. He said yeah right position but not German but exciting. Then I said to replace Luna and he confirmed. We then had a chat about Luna where he confirmed was being paid big bucks to go to Kerala and it was his last opportunity at a big pay check as he's just turned 30. City wanted to keep him because as he said he was a quality person but didn't stand in his way.

Ben Arfa or Nasri and we go undefeated this year 

On 17/08/2021 at 10:07 PM, kingofhearts said:

I am hearing he is of German descent, he's played in the Bundesliga once or twice, and has a sick YouTube montage.

Get excited guys!

This is what he actually posted. And "German descent" is pretty broad, as we can see here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:People_of_German_descent. Not only that, he might still be able to claim German nationality, or be a dual national, or a national of another country who has played in the Bundesliga. Of whom there is a comprehensive list on Wikipedia but it is so long that the signing will be announced before you've got time to deduce anything from it.

https://www.a-league.com.au/news/groundbreaking-deal-drive-professional-leagues

Collective Bargaining Agreement confirmed 

“the introduction of up to two 'Designated Players' allowing clubs to invest between $300,000 and $600,000 in players whose salaries will be excluded from the A-League Salary Cap, while maintaining other exemptions such as Marquee Players;”

so way I see it 2 unlimited marquees and 2 DP between 300-600k 

3 minutes ago, CityBoyz said:

“the introduction of up to two 'Designated Players' allowing clubs to invest between $300,000 and $600,000 in players whose salaries will be excluded from the A-League Salary Cap, while maintaining other exemptions such as Marquee Players;”

Come home Arron Mooy come home!!!

51 minutes ago, CityBoyz said:

The wording isn't clear as to whether that's "$300,000 - $600,000" each or whether that's for the two of them (if there are two). As it is, IMO it's the latter.

In the end though, the clubs are the employers, and they've got to be prepared to pay those kinds of wages. I would think not all will be.

16 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

The wording isn't clear as to whether that's "$300,000 - $600,000" each or whether that's for the two of them (if there are two). As it is, IMO it's the latter.

In the end though, the clubs are the employers, and they've got to be prepared to pay those kinds of wages. I would think not all will be.

It’s 300-600 each per player. So max 600k per player. And the other 2 are unlimited 

2 minutes ago, CityBoyz said:

I would say Nabbout would be one of the 300-600k players imo.

And Leckie + Maclaren are the unlimited but that’s just a guess leaving us 1 spot to fill in the 300-600k bracket 

It would make sense that our new signing is in that designated player spot but still a chance he could fit in the cap

32 minutes ago, CityBoyz said:

I would say Nabbout would be one of the 300-600k players imo.

And Leckie + Maclaren are the unlimited but that’s just a guess leaving us 1 spot to fill in the 300-600k bracket 

The only one we know for sure is JMac. 

If the newbie is really "exciting" then my guess would be that he is the second marquee. From my perspective I hope he's a bit more of a "bums on seats" player than the others.

But really it doesn't matter. They'll fit where they'll fit.

• jw1739 pinned this topic