Melbourne Football

Transfer Talk, Rumours and Speculation

jw1739

12 minutes ago, CityBoyz said:

Season starting October 29 

We will find out early August when players return for pre season.  

For me, I like to be able to get my mind around what I can look forward to next season in terms of planning etc. Also, this off-season IMO would be ideal to build on the Premiership/Championship double - the anticipation amongst existing members (particularly), and also perhaps entice some back and get some new ones as well. We're selling memberships - let's get some hype going. Not only City but APL as well.

9 hours ago, icantthinkofacoolname said:

So we have 2 visa spots free (Could be up to 4 depending on Flo and Luna.) I've been thinking about what we can do with them to strengthen our XI. How would people feel about using a visa spot on a more experienced keeper? Worked out well for us when we brought in Sorenson.

Don't get me wrong I like Glover and I love our current mantra of prioritising young Aussie players, but he still is only 23 and a little bit of competition could actually help him out in the long run. At the moment he is our undisputed no. 1 despite the many heart in mouth moments he produces because the only other keeper we have is even younger and even more inexperienced. So perhaps using a visa spot on a keeper could be something to think about.  

I agree with your thinking that it could be good to have a challenger and mentor for Glover, but I don't like the idea of relegating him to our number 2 nor using a VISA spot on a backup keeper. If we wanted to go down the experienced keeper road we'd be better off grabbing an older Australian keeper imo, kind of like the Galekovic signing all those years ago except we don't let him become the undisputed number one.  

So we will have 2 visa spots for sure and possibly 4 if Luna and Berenguer don't renew, that is an amazing position to be in. 

Now having said things can turn to shit very quickly, a couple injuries loss of form and all of a sudden you start looking at the squad as being poor and unbalanced, which for reference many did at the start of last season. 

So for me if we are looking at bringing in 3 visa players they would have to be starting quality, that is better than any current players, and to get that you'd probably be looking at 500K plus and even then the risk of a spud is 50/50.

So considering our squad, the yoof players sniffing around, I would be inclined looking at probably 1 genuine quality player, a back in the day marquee signing, a million dollar wage player.

Most lines are well stocked and to upgrade on those would cost and with the cap probably unreachable, I reackon the time for the club to take the next step and lead the league in a new era and sign a genuine quality player. 

27 minutes ago, Jovan said:

So we will have 2 visa spots for sure and possibly 4 if Luna and Berenguer don't renew, that is an amazing position to be in. 

Now having said things can turn to shit very quickly, a couple injuries loss of form and all of a sudden you start looking at the squad as being poor and unbalanced, which for reference many did at the start of last season. 

So for me if we are looking at bringing in 3 visa players they would have to be starting quality, that is better than any current players, and to get that you'd probably be looking at 500K plus and even then the risk of a spud is 50/50.

So considering our squad, the yoof players sniffing around, I would be inclined looking at probably 1 genuine quality player, a back in the day marquee signing, a million dollar wage player.

Most lines are well stocked and to upgrade on those would cost and with the cap probably unreachable, I reackon the time for the club to take the next step and lead the league in a new era and sign a genuine quality player. 

We already have Maclaren and Leckie on (what sounds like) big money deals. On top of that we have re-signed Nabbout but brought him under the cap and surely have to boost the deals for Atkinson and Metcalfe.

I’m thinking we will be on a tight budget (unless the new mini-marquees come in).

From my perspective, bringing in a new batch of starting quality visa players pushes our rising stars players (such as Tilio and Cola) back on to the bench and back to cameo appearances, when there's no doubt in my mind that they are "starting quality" and the result of that will be that they will go elsewhere for match time, if for no other reason that you don't build a career as a professional sportsperson on cameo appearances. So our academy ends up as a factory for other clubs...so what's the point?

While it may not be as glamorous(?) as having a line-up full of visa players, I'd rather be winning with our own lads if we can do it that way. That seems to me to be a better business model overall as well.

Of course, if our local budget (as opposed to the cap) allows us to bring in a real bums-on-seats player such as David Villa, than I'm all for that; that's just one squad place, but I don't see the need to have five visa players in the squad just because we are allowed to.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, jw1739 said:

From my perspective, bringing in a new batch of starting quality visa players pushes our rising stars players (such as Tilio and Cola) back on to the bench and back to cameo appearances, when there's no doubt in my mind that they are "starting quality" and the result of that will be that they will go elsewhere for match time, if for no other reason that you don't build a career as a professional sportsperson on cameo appearances. So our academy ends up as a factory for other clubs...so what's the point?

While it may not be as glamorous(?) as having a line-up full of visa players, I'd rather be winning with our own lads if we can do it that way. That seems to me to be a better business model overall as well.

Of course, if our local budget (as opposed to the cap) allows us to bring in a real bums-on-seats player such as David Villa, than I'm all for that; that's just one squad place, but I don't see the need to have five visa players in the squad just because we are allowed to.

I daresay the CFG would agree with your sentiment. What area of the pitch realistically needs strengthening? Maybe the middle of the park and a backup CB? Front third is stacked.

4 hours ago, jw1739 said:

Hasn't that ship already sailed? Both Tilio and Colakovski have already been pushed to the bench with the acquisition of Leckie to combo with Maclaren and Nabbout. 

• Thanks 1

46 minutes ago, The Aardvark said:

Hasn't that ship already sailed? Both Tilio and Colakovski have already been pushed to the bench with the acquisition of Leckie to combo with Maclaren and Nabbout. 

No worse than last season. We've lost Noone so it's pretty much as we were. The squad doesn't need much action, just some work on CM given contracts are up, and CB cover. Otherwise very happy with what we have and where we are.

If our first choice front three start more than 50% of the games together we've probably had a groundbreaking season in terms of form and injury. Never happens, hence why player 4 (Tilio) in particular will still get more than ample time to showcase his ability and/or cement a starting spot.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, jw1739 said:

I think the season past is a great example though that opportunities will eventually present themselves. Even if the league does have international breaks, Nabbout always has an injury or two in him and you'd be amazed if he started every game. I'd be telling the lads to stick tight, continue to grow and learn off of Socceroo caliber players, their chance will come.

The last season was unprecedented season due to covid. We entered the season with very strong squad. Other clubs didn't invest too much. The bottom line is that we didn't have as strong competition as usual. As it happened we dominated even without a half of the first lineup. We should update the squad wisely and extend our run.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, NewConvert said:

Also I expect other clubs to strengthen their squad, in particular Sydney. So if SFC strengthen their squad, can our current line up match them?

We strengthen the team by getting better at what we do. We only replace the weakest links in the squad

On 14/07/2021 at 5:18 PM, NewConvert said:

Also I expect other clubs to strengthen their squad, in particular Sydney. So if SFC strengthen their squad, can our current line up match them?

It's not strength on paper that counts. Compared with previous seasons we've got a very settled squad going into next season and I see that as a big advantage. Both Sydney and the Unmentionables consider themselves the "big clubs" of the league so I have every expectation that they will be signing some good players.

58 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

It's not strength on paper that counts. Compared with previous seasons we've got a very settled squad going into next season and I see that as a big advantage. Both Sydney and the Unmentionables consider themselves the "big clubs" of the league so I have every expectation that they will be signing some good players.

Victory have signed Geria, Brillante and rumour has it that Iknomidis is to be announced too. They certainly do seem to be trying to rebuild.

On 14/07/2021 at 1:47 PM, The Aardvark said:

If I was sitting on the bench I wouldn't worry too much about being a back up for Nabbout. I'd start more games than him by the end of the season.

• Like 2

On 14/07/2021 at 5:47 PM, kingofhearts said:

Yeap I agree, I think we should turn over half of our list.just for old times sake

Absolutely. 

What we also need is an in or out vote.

And a rumour of quality #10 from "insert nationality to increase support " started.

• Haha 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 26/07/2021 at 8:49 PM, Missing_Moy said:

Deserves it 

Any rumours on players we are bringing in ? 

The club has gone silent. As always there are no leaks and we won't know until any new player arrives. The boys are back in training - at Casey Fields - and we're advertising for a Sales executive. I have heard the comment about the move to Casey Fields - "A lot of driving...." but that's it.

• 2 weeks later...

Been a silent off-season in this space. 

One can only assume nobody else is looking to leave so we probably won't bring many new faces in. I think we ought to replace Luna with a good foreign mid but aside from that, the squad seems pretty settled on paper. 

1 hour ago, Nate said:

Been a silent off-season in this space. 

One can only assume nobody else is looking to leave so we probably won't bring many new faces in. I think we ought to replace Luna with a good foreign mid but aside from that, the squad seems pretty settled on paper. 

Need a creative midfielder and maybe a box to box midfielder as well as LB who can play CB. 

My take on it is that there is too much uncertainty at the moment to bring anyone in. Overseas league are opening up but there are so many changes of direction on coronavirus management here that the start of our season is by no means certain at this time.

Petrillo had indicated that we had a couple of targets, and I imagine that they are still there. It would be very unusual if the club were to leak any information.

3 hours ago, jw1739 said:

My take on it is that there is too much uncertainty at the moment to bring anyone in. Overseas league are opening up but there are so many changes of direction on coronavirus management here that the start of our season is by no means certain at this time.

Petrillo had indicated that we had a couple of targets, and I imagine that they are still there. It would be very unusual if the club were to leak any information.

I would also add that this is the first time we have not turned over half the squad. So the amount of places to fill is really small compared to previous seasons. I'm scared.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

• jw1739 pinned this topic