Melbourne Football

Transfer Talk, Rumours and Speculation

jw1739

14 minutes ago, Shahanga said:

Najjar hasn’t cut it. I’m suspecting talent scouts got taken in by his early physical development. 
Najjarine unfortunately is a square peg at City. Will be sought after by others though.

@Shahanga Najjarine has signed for Western Sydney.

• Like 1

We have 2 restrictions on our squad salaries, pretty obviously this is the salary cap and the club’s budget.

Obviously both of these have a big influence on who we can sign. Best way to manage the cap is of course:

1. Use your marquees

2. Use your home grown allowance 

3. use your loyalty allowance 

Looks like we’ve done that pretty well. Marquees are , home growns in Atkinson, Metcalfe and Cola; loyalty Jamo and Good.

With that in place it’s possible our budget is less than the cap.

If not though the club will need to consider that we might get a cap bonus if we retain Flo? Could leave more money for Luna or his replacement if we can’t do the Luna deal. Versus spending more cap to replace Flo and refreshing the squad.

(of course then there is the mini-marquee whisper as well)

10 minutes ago, Shahanga said:

We have 2 restrictions on our squad salaries, pretty obviously this is the salary cap and the club’s budget.

Obviously both of these have a big influence on who we can sign. Best way to manage the cap is of course:

1. Use your marquees

2. Use your home grown allowance 

3. use your loyalty allowance 

Looks like we’ve done that pretty well. Marquees are , home growns in Atkinson, Metcalfe and Cola; loyalty Jamo and Good.

With that in place it’s possible our budget is less than the cap.

If not though the club will need to consider that we might get a cap bonus if we retain Flo? Could leave more money for Luna or his replacement if we can’t do the Luna deal. Versus spending more cap to replace Flo and refreshing the squad.

(of course then there is the mini-marquee whisper as well)

Well next will be  Florin 4th season at the club.  I’m torn if you keep Florin.

I would be very surprised if Luna stays because of his family situation.  So need a new AM which would we should be able to find with our scouts don’t expect it to be a marquee big name player. 

We're actually waiting on three visa players, and that also assumes that Tsubaki's loan isn't extended. The club has not officially confirmed anything about Noone, Berenguer or Luna.

Edited by jw1739

13 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

We actually waiting on three visa players, and that also assumes that Tsubaki's loan isn't extended. The club has not officially confirmed anything about Noone, Berenguer or Luna.

Noone is gone, Tsubaki is gone only question marks are Luna and Berenguer 

6 minutes ago, NewConvert said:

Official statement from the club?

None as far as I can determine. I think the opinion on Noone is based on a post on his GF's Twitter. On Tsubaki it's an assumption, probably correct, but I prefer to wait for the official "word" in all cases.

1 hour ago, jw1739 said:

None as far as I can determine. I think the opinion on Noone is based on a post on his GF's Twitter. On Tsubaki it's an assumption, probably correct, but I prefer to wait for the official "word" in all cases.

His partner on Instagram made IG stories about moving and all partners said sad to see you go. Goes with Daniel Garb post regarding Noone to Macarthur. 

Tsubkai loan ends and with him not making the bench for the GF shows not much faith in him from PK

With Lesiotis, Berenguer, Luna, Tsubaki, Noone 

I would say Lesiotis would he extended. Interested to see with 2 visas in Berenguer and Luna. I don’t think we will use full 5 quota of visas so hopefully quality over quantity. Be little to no turnover which is great 

Looking at our side there are few spots to even use a VISA spot on. 

Attack is sorted, Nabbout, Maclaren, Leckie, TIlio and Colakovski are more than enough quality senior players to cover that. Atkinson is also someone who can perform there. So the only spot I'd use a VISA on there is to maybe get a solid depth guy, but I'd rather we just give Raphael or Caputo or someone like that that chance, which does seem more in keeping with the club philosophy.

Defence is pretty sorted. Jamieson is a lock as our LB, and Garuccio is very good cover. Atkinson surely slots back into RB seeing as we need to put our Socceroos on the wings, and Galloway is quality as well. Even CB we need a 3rd or 4th choice guy, so not a VISA star. Good is a lock, Reis is more than adequate and Griffiths is also really good. They are a fragile group so maybe we use the VISA spot on a depth player there but they would only be for depth. So defence isn't much of an issue. 

In goals we are clearly pretty happy with Glover and while a mentor keeper would be cool i think thats a bit of a waste of a squad spot/VISA spot. If we wanted one I'm sure there is some Australian keeper we could get in to fill the role. 

So we are left with the midfield 3. O'Neill has really grown into his role and I'd be surprised if we looked to push him out. He is one of the players that is most upgradeable though. So maybe we could use a VISA spot there. Alternatively we look to move Griffiths into that spot competing with Aiden and grab another CB to replace his spot in the rotation. Of the higher two Metcalfe is obviously a lock. So we have one vulnerable spot in basically the lineup, and atm have two more than adequate players for the role in Luna and Berenguer. I'd argue that could also be a role we look to try Atkinson in. He plays central midfield for the Olyroos, and it could be a way to fit as many of the Socceroos into the squad as possible and keep playing Galloway. Honestly we could probably upgrade that central pairing so it's Metcalfe and someone better than Luna or Florin, so lets use a VISA spot on that. We can then just keep one of the incumbents as a backup VISA player in that role.

So I guess I see our VISA spots being used on the following:

Nuno Reis. 

A starting CM to pair with Metcalfe.

One of Luna, Florin or like type as backup in midfield. 

2 more spots still and no obvious spots that will even get opportunity. 

Maybe a DM or CB type, basically a less injury prone Griffiths would be great. 

????

I understand we will undoubtedly lose a few to probably overseas interest which will open up a few holes to fill, but at this point we are hearing no rumours, the group seems pretty tight knit and committed and virtually everyone of note is contracted now (Florin and Luna are the only players even in senior contention that are out of contract). 

What an unprecedented time when a teams starting squad is made up almost entirely of Australians that would all comfortably get a game everywhere else in the league. 

• Like 2

9 hours ago, The Aardvark said:

What an unprecedented time when a teams starting squad is made up almost entirely of Australians that would all comfortably get a game everywhere else in the league.

It is certainly a nice problem to have particularly given there aren't any real concerning holes in the squad.

I would like to think we'll go after a depth striker for Jmac as we don't really have a replacement one. 

Midfield will depend what happens with Luna and Berenguer so until we know their futures it's hard to say. If either one goes than a replacement visa midfielder is key. 

Defence we seem set but like you mentioned we could do with a bit more senior CB depth. 

By far the strongest post season position we have ever been in. 

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

Either we're slow on announcements or we must still be negotiating with Noone, Luna and Berenguer.

in recent years, the club has always played it's cards close to the chest.

after looking at the current squad thread, i was a little surprised to see berenguer's contract wasn't listed to expire this season.  as per the following article, we have already got him signed for the 21/22 season.

https://www.canberratimes.com.au/story/6938919/brillante-departs-city-as-trio-re-sign/

putting it all together, we only have a few spots to fill - of which we have a few visa spots open (including Luna).  i'm not surprised that the club is being coy.  we already have a super strong squad.  whoever we sign really needs to improve the squad.

20 minutes ago, mattyh001 said:

in recent years, the club has always played it's cards close to the chest.

after looking at the current squad thread, i was a little surprised to see berenguer's contract wasn't listed to expire this season.  as per the following article, we have already got him signed for the 21/22 season.

https://www.canberratimes.com.au/story/6938919/brillante-departs-city-as-trio-re-sign/

putting it all together, we only have a few spots to fill - of which we have a few visa spots open (including Luna).  i'm not surprised that the club is being coy.  we already have a super strong squad.  whoever we sign really needs to improve the squad.

Beg to contradict. Berenguer's extension was for one more season, and that has just finished. Club announcement 23rd September 2020.

16 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

Beg to contradict. Berenguer's extension was for one more season, and that has just finished. Club announcement 23rd September 2020.

happy to be wrong, but the way i "next season" given the article is in Sept (soon before the coming season and well after the prior season) is that next season means the season after this.  

of course it would be so much bloody easier if they just listed the season it finished (20/21, 21/22, etc).

edit:

then again we did finish the 19/20 season in August, so the timing of contracts could have been different too.

Edited by mattyh001

20 minutes ago, mattyh001 said:

happy to be wrong, but the way i "next season" given the article is in Sept (soon before the coming season and well after the prior season) is that next season means the season after this.  

of course it would be so much bloody easier if they just listed the season it finished (20/21, 21/22, etc).

edit:

then again we did finish the 19/20 season in August, so the timing of contracts could have been different too.

They did list the season it finishes. Check Berenguer’s section. End of 2020/21 season.

https://www.melbournecityfc.com.au/news/melbourne-city-re-signs-atkinson-berenguer-and-griffiths

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, mattyh001 said:

edit:

Well, for example, see https://www.melbournecityfc.com.au/news/berenguer-we-cant-wait-play-home. It specifically says "having signed for the 2020-21 season." Also , the wording for Berenguer is different from that for, say, Griffiths in this article of the previous 23rd September https://www.macarthuradvertiser.com.au/story/6938919/brillante-departs-city-as-trio-re-sign/?cs=12687 (this article syndicated to many newspapers).

But we shall see in due course...

2 hours ago, Harrison said:

They did list the season it finishes. Check Berenguer’s section. End of 2020/21 season.

https://www.melbournecityfc.com.au/news/melbourne-city-re-signs-atkinson-berenguer-and-griffiths

2 hours ago, jw1739 said:

Well, for example, see https://www.melbournecityfc.com.au/news/berenguer-we-cant-wait-play-home. It specifically says "having signed for the 2020-21 season." Also , the wording for Berenguer is different from that for, say, Griffiths in this article of the previous 23rd September https://www.macarthuradvertiser.com.au/story/6938919/brillante-departs-city-as-trio-re-sign/?cs=12687 (this article syndicated to many newspapers).

But we shall see in due course...

cool, thanks for the clarification.

think with the squad we have the club won't be rushing in

• Like 1

I'm in favour of all three in the context of where we are. Even Berenguer. He knows the system and how we are trying to play - "better the devil..." etc. Needs to sharpen up in front of goal though. He's 32, and where's he going to go from here if he holds out for more than he deserves? NPL or France Ligue 2? Neither a great prospect really.

7 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

I'm in favour of all three in the context of where we are. Even Berenguer. He knows the system and how we are trying to play - "better the devil..." etc. Needs to sharpen up in front of goal though. He's 32, and where's he going to go from here if he holds out for more than he deserves? NPL or France Ligue 2? Neither a great prospect really.

As a Berenguer fan, I’m a bit torn on him. I love the way he plays, he’s classy and ticks a lot of boxes. His lack of finishing is frustrating and at 32, I worry about his running power. Looks to me like his efforts are decreasing and they won’t get better but that’s just a guess.

I still think we can and probably should improve on him and Luna. They’re both getting the job done though. Do we let them both go and spend their combined salaries on a better player? Is that even feasible? The economics of letting them go and going after one player might not even work. And if we do let them go, can we rely on a kid like Gomulka in the event of an injury to O’Neill, Metcalfe and the new foreign player?

It’s a tricky one. 

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Harrison said:

As a Berenguer fan, I’m a bit torn on him. I love the way he plays, he’s classy and ticks a lot of boxes. His lack of finishing is frustrating and at 32, I worry about his running power. Looks to me like his efforts are decreasing and they won’t get better but that’s just a guess.

I still think we can and probably should improve on him and Luna. They’re both getting the job done though. Do we let them both go and spend their combined salaries on a better player? Is that even feasible? The economics of letting them go and going after one player might not even work. And if we do let them go, can we rely on a kid like Gomulka in the event of an injury to O’Neill, Metcalfe and the new foreign player?

It’s a tricky one. 

I come back to "the devil you know...." 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, CityBoyz said:

Don’t forgot we already have 2 vacant slots in Noone and Tsubaki. If Berenguer or Luna go may have up to 4 available. Should go for quality over quantity tbh 

Absolutely. I'll be shocked if we take more than 4 visas into the season imo, i think we'll carry one over to make sure we have flexibility in January if we need it.

• Like 1

Berenguer and NPL. Would that be Nippon Premier League. Otherwise you gotta be kidding.  We can find a better player for sure, if  we are willing to pay for it.  But he is not rubish.  His last season performance was better than the most visa players in the league. He's just spend a wee bit too long with us.

2 hours ago, CityBoyz said:

Don’t forgot we already have 2 vacant slots in Noone and Tsubaki. If Berenguer or Luna go may have up to 4 available. Should go for quality over quantity tbh 

Noone is not gone, and his replacement is already here, being Leckie. At best we're one in and one out on that deal, probably with bigger wages. But agreed, our room for manoeuvre is effectively the squad places occupied last season by Luna, Berenguer and Tsubaki. From that we need to perm at least one attacking mid and some cover at centre back. Otherwise I think we're covered. 

Edited by fensaddler

4 hours ago, fensaddler said:

Noone is not gone, and his replacement is already here, being Leckie. At best we're one in and one out on that deal, probably with bigger wages. But agreed, our room for manoeuvre is effectively the squad places occupied last season by Luna, Berenguer and Tsubaki. From that we need to perm at least one attacking mid and some cover at centre back. Otherwise I think we're covered. 

Noone is gone just look at his partner IG off to Macarthur.. 

only spots we need is a attacking mid maybe 2 and  maybe a backup CB 

Macarthur have signed Davila and Da Silva.

On 07/07/2021 at 10:32 PM, CityBoyz said:

Noone is gone just look at his partner IG off to Macarthur.. 

only spots we need is a attacking mid maybe 2 and  maybe a backup CB 

If he is going there, both clubs are being coy about it.

Florin goes for me, he has gotten better. But he wouldn't have started the finals if we had all our players, that's just a fact. 

We bang our chest about our 49 million talent scouts and resources around the world, we should be able to find a replacement who at the least is the equal of Florin. 

Flo isn't going to make our team any better, someone coming in might 

On 10/07/2021 at 7:48 AM, neio said:

Florin goes for me, he has gotten better. But he wouldn't have started the finals if we had all our players, that's just a fact. 

We bang our chest about our 49 million talent scouts and resources around the world, we should be able to find a replacement who at the least is the equal of Florin. 

Flo isn't going to make our team any better, someone coming in might 

I'm a little surprised that there's been no further squad news from the club, especially with two visa players out of contract.

10 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

I'm a little surprised that there's been no further squad news from the club, especially with two visa players out of contract.

Me too cause we have 3 players who are free agents now. Surely they would know if there staying or not Lesiotis, Florin and Luna. 

just announce it to the fans unless there still in negotiations 

39 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

Looking at previous years, the whole club seems to go on holiday after the season with very little communication for the first weeks after season closure. Saying that they didn’t announce the Jamo extension but perhaps that was already agreed at an earlier stage.

So we have 2 visa spots free (Could be up to 4 depending on Flo and Luna.) I've been thinking about what we can do with them to strengthen our XI. How would people feel about using a visa spot on a more experienced keeper? Worked out well for us when we brought in Sorenson.

Don't get me wrong I like Glover and I love our current mantra of prioritising young Aussie players, but he still is only 23 and a little bit of competition could actually help him out in the long run. At the moment he is our undisputed no. 1 despite the many heart in mouth moments he produces because the only other keeper we have is even younger and even more inexperienced. So perhaps using a visa spot on a keeper could be something to think about.  

43 minutes ago, Jovan said:

We are entering the long off season, worlds longest. What's going to really be hard this time round is that we don't have any real fixture dates for next season. 

Season starting October 29 

1 hour ago, Mr MO said:

Looking at previous years, the whole club seems to go on holiday after the season with very little communication for the first weeks after season closure. Saying that they didn’t announce the Jamo extension but perhaps that was already agreed at an earlier stage.

We will find out early August when players return for pre season.  

• jw1739 pinned this topic