Melbourne Football

Transfer Talk, Rumours and Speculation

jw1739

• 2 weeks later...
7 hours ago, CityBoyz said:

Anyone have a update on visa CB that Petrillo said we were about to sign ? Been a while  since Bentleigh game 

It's all very quiet, which doesn't mean anything really. It's usually difficult to get players here on right visa etc, in current climate it would be 1000 times harder. It took Victory about 5 weeks to get Shotton here after it was first rumoured he was coming. 

Hopefully someone soon though 

7 hours ago, CityBoyz said:

Anyone have a update on visa CB that Petrillo said we were about to sign ? Been a while  since Bentleigh game 

It's all very quiet, which doesn't mean anything really. It's usually difficult to get players here on right visa etc, in current climate it would be 1000 times harder. It took Victory about 5 weeks to get Shotton here after it was first rumoured he was coming. 

Hopefully someone soon though 

Only Australian defenders of note that are uncontracted is Tomislav Mrcela and Big Boy Haz. Mrcela could be a better option than trying to get a Visa player in unless he's headed back to Europe. You wouldn't think we'd get a player in, quarantined and up to match fitness in under 6 weeks which could be a problem if Griff or Good go down injured anytime soon.

3 hours ago, citymad said:

when is the next transfer window? is it Jan or Feb for A league? 

Probably should have asked this Q here. - another forum suggesting its feb opening. If we are getting the CB it may jave to wait another 4 weeks. then the mandatory ISO. Then match fitness etc so ready to play by second week of march?

1 hour ago, citymad said:

Probably should have asked this Q here. - another forum suggesting its feb opening. If we are getting the CB it may jave to wait another 4 weeks. then the mandatory ISO. Then match fitness etc so ready to play by second week of march?

If we have them lined up, then the contracts could already be agreed, which would mean that there is no reason why they could not already be in quarantine. IIRC the transfer window being open is only required to register the player to play for us, and not to enter into a contract with that player (which could potentially include contingencies surrounding successful registration).

10 minutes ago, malloy said:

If we have them lined up, then the contracts could already be agreed, which would mean that there is no reason why they could not already be in quarantine. IIRC the transfer window being open is only required to register the player to play for us, and not to enter into a contract with that player (which could potentially include contingencies surrounding successful registration).

Also don't forget that "Players who are out of contract and do not have a club, can be signed outside of the transfer window if they are unattached free agents when the window closes."

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Mr MO said:

The Delbridge situation puzzles me a bit - does this mean Delbridge wants more money than a European CB? Or we simply weren’t interested in Harrison anymore.

There would have had to be a point where we moved on with waiting on Delbo. We gave him an offer, he decided to look around which is his right, but we couldn't just sit there waiting for him to decide. As much as I love him and think he is a huge loss, he isnt a we will wait for you to sign at your own leisure at the detriment of the team quality of player 

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Mr MO said:

The Delbridge situation puzzles me a bit - does this mean Delbridge wants more money than a European CB? Or we simply weren’t interested in Harrison anymore.

The TWG article implies that Delbridge has only just left the club. Surely that cannot be correct?

4 minutes ago, Deluka said:

Paolo Oliveira has been added to our squad on Wikipedia. Take it with a grain of salt but maybe someone in the know has updated.

That fits, from Joey Lynch tweet weeks ago saying we had an international capped European defender coming. He has played 1 game for Portugal 

Just now, Dylan said:

I might be looking at the wrong Oliveria but only 28 playing in laliga and worth 5mil? Surely can’t be him.

He wasn’t in the squad for 6 consecutive matches, but I also just saw that he played against Granada on the 3rd so unlikely to be in quarantine in Melbourne imo.

1 minute ago, Deluka said:

He wasn’t in the squad for 6 consecutive matches, but I also just saw that he played against Granada on the 3rd so unlikely to be in quarantine in Melbourne imo.

I was about to post that. Why would he come here anyway if he's playing in La Liga? Incidentally he's Paulo and not Paolo.

2 hours ago, jw1739 said:

The TWG article implies that Delbridge has only just left the club. Surely that cannot be correct?

He signed a 3 year deal in November 2017. Depending on when it started (possibly Jan 2018 for transfer window) that would bring the three years to an end around now.

Not too sure how A-league squads and salary caps work in detail, but presumably if we knew his contract wasn't going be renewed he could have potentially still been contracted to the club, but not registered as player for the A-League. I know clubs have signed players purely to play ACL, so it doesnt seem outside the realm of possibility that his contract has just ended on 1 Jan 2021. 

If his wages did count towards the salary cap, maybe we had to wait for his contract to end for us to sign this new guy.

2 hours ago, Deluka said:

Another one to speculate at length for those bored like me is Manuel da Costa.

Been without a club since August and capped for Morocco but holds Portuguese citizenship.

I'll throw my hat into the ring and guess maybe this bloke: 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Daniel_Carriço

Last played for Wuhan Zall in 2020, played for Sevilla before that. Either way, the new signing's looking a good step above Windbichler on paper at least based on the reports coming in.

• jw1739 pinned this topic