Melbourne Football

Transfer Talk, Rumours and Speculation

jw1739

1 minute ago, neio said:

Najjar to Macarthur, Najjjarine to Newcastle 

Good business by us imo, glad we didn't lose Najjarine to Adelaide as was rumoured and we still have him on our books. 

Looks like City aren't looking to 'get mutual' and lose a player without a fee.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Deluka said:

Good business by us imo, glad we didn't lose Najjarine to Adelaide as was rumoured and we still have him on our books. 

Looks like City aren't looking to 'get mutual' and lose a player without a fee.

Great they get off our salary cap for this season 

Just now, bt50 said:

I could have sworn they were going into last years of their deals. Given they have two years each loaning them out is a great move imo.

Najjar has until 2022 and Najjarine 2022 as well

3 minutes ago, Mr MO said:

With them two of the books aren’t we a little short on attacking options?

Noone, Colla, Maclaren, Nabbout, Tilio

Tilio not worth forgetting seeing as he came over with big wraps from Sydney. Their supporters were very sad/angry to see him go, which to me is a good indicator.  

Luna and Flo could arguably play in the front 3rd as well - although I think we'd all prefer they stay in the midfield.

The club loaning out Moudi and Ramy out probably signified the club are looking for one more player for our front 3rd. There were rumours Cabrera may come back? 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, IssySG said:

Tilio not worth forgetting seeing as he came over with big wraps from Sydney. Their supporters were very sad/angry to see him go, which to me is a good indicator.  

Luna and Flo could arguably play in the front 3rd as well - although I think we'd all prefer they stay in the midfield.

The club loaning out Moudi and Ramy out probably signified the club are looking for one more player for our front 3rd. There were rumours Cabrera may come back? 

Got to cover injuries, but I suppose we are going to do that with the youth squad  - do we have a youth squad?

Interesting.

3 hours ago, fensaddler said:

Yes and no. Good was pretty much ever present last season. Windy is more unproven, but looked very strong at the end of last season. Likewise Rostyn looked solid in central defence when he covered the position last season, and is probably no more a walking red card than Delbo, who has plenty of form in that regard. You're right that we haven't seen much of Stokes, but from what we have seen he looks capable, and he is holding down a contract at City. 

considering two of Delbridge red cards last season were for VAR given handballs, i don't think his record is anywhere near as bad as it looks.  plus defenders are always at risk given they face a prisoner's dilemma when an opponent is through on goal; let the attacker whip the ball in / go one-one with the keeper or dive into a tackle / block at the risk of a foul (and red).

Good certainly played heaps last season; the problem i have is that it was Good's first full campaign of games week in week out in a while (his first season back with us he missed / didnt start roughly 10 games by my count).  if we were another twelve months down the track and Good had three full campaigns, I wouldnt have an issue

Edited by mattyh001

1 hour ago, icantthinkofacoolname said:

I think it would've been wise to keep one of them, but I doubt it'll be detrimental. They'll both get more game time over there than here. Maybe we'd be able to recall them from loan if we need? 

Good point. I've heard of loan deals elsewhere where a midseason recall  clause can be triggered.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, IssySG said:

Interesting. We're much more down to a bare bones squad now. Some clear and strong first picks, and some obvious first change selections, often young prospects. But there won't be that much beyond that, apart from really raw youngsters (who as we know can play brilliantly given their opportunity). It's difficult to know how much room we're likely to have in the cap this season, but we're certainly going to have a lot less to work with. It will be interesting to see if we've created ourselves some space for an addition or two. 

On 08/10/2020 at 8:42 PM, fensaddler said:

Interesting. We're much more down to a bare bones squad now. Some clear and strong first picks, and some obvious first change selections, often young prospects. But there won't be that much beyond that, apart from really raw youngsters (who as we know can play brilliantly given their opportunity). It's difficult to know how much room we're likely to have in the cap this season, but we're certainly going to have a lot less to work with. It will be interesting to see if we've created ourselves some space for an addition or two. 

I can't see clubs doing an awful lot when there is no certainty about a new season or when it will start. The silence is deafening.

• Sad 1

The new season will start late December. Fox will demand that timing. If the A league cannot come to an arrangement for how the format will occur, whether it’s another hub or special permits for interstate travel, Fox will claim a contract breach and cancel the broadcast agreement thus saving 30 million and walking away from the league. There is enough time to plan for isolation requirements etc but a cash strapped FFA would push more costs to owners to complete the season. My fear is that some owners like CCM and Phoenix would not agree to the increase in costs. The required interstate travel is an issue for all the codes but it is just that A league will be back sooner when restrictions are still tight and some borders shut. Also other codes have more funds for a repeat hub format if necessary. IMO the vic teams and Perth and Phoenix will need to relocate so that the Competition can go ahead. 

35 minutes ago, citymad said:

The new season will start late December. Fox will demand that timing. If the A league cannot come to an arrangement for how the format will occur, whether it’s another hub or special permits for interstate travel, Fox will claim a contract breach and cancel the broadcast agreement thus saving 30 million and walking away from the league. There is enough time to plan for isolation requirements etc but a cash strapped FFA would push more costs to owners to complete the season. My fear is that some owners like CCM and Phoenix would not agree to the increase in costs. The required interstate travel is an issue for all the codes but it is just that A league will be back sooner when restrictions are still tight and some borders shut. Also other codes have more funds for a repeat hub format if necessary. IMO the vic teams and Perth and Phoenix will need to relocate so that the Competition can go ahead. 

Getting off topic, but they are all related. I wrote to the club yesterday by e-mail suggesting that with so much uncertainty it is not really appropriate for it to start deducting membership instalments yet. Haven't had a reply yet - I'll see what transpires. It doesn't really trouble me financially, but IMO it's a matter of principle.

45 minutes ago, citymad said:

Is this opinion or are you claiming to know?

7 minutes ago, IssySG said:

Pretty sure either Tony Sage or Tony Pignata (always get them confused) is on record recently saying that the league will start late December. I’ll see if I can go back and find the tweet after work.

Pretty sure either Tony Sage or Tony Pignata (always get them confused) is on record recently saying that the league will start late December. I’ll see if I can go back and find the tweet after work.

So confused you said it twice 😅

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, jw1739 said:

The season will not start in December.

SMH states start date Dec 27. Like I said fox have demanded this as the start time. 

9 hours ago, bt50 said:

Is this opinion or are you claiming to know?

I was well informed and believed it was accurate information. The Sydney Morning Herald article and the Djite tweet affirm what I have heard. 

Few big issues to be overcome. 

Asian Champions league to be completed, not that any teams will get out of the group stage. 

The later the start the more compressed fixtures as a result of the fox deal date ending.

Then not to mention any interstate travel or lack there off.

Basically alot of moving parts, good luck. 

19 hours ago, Jovan said:

Asian Champions league to be completed, not that any teams will get out of the group stage. 

The final will be in December 9th or 19th was mentioned on Simon Hill's podcast in Qatar but then you will have the issue of teams returning and what the quarantine situation looks like

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Hanz said:

Garrucio is coming 👀

Loved him the last season with us, was someone who could actually take on a player.

Noone - Jmac - Nabbout upfront with Garrucio and Atkinson bombing up the wing in support

Inject it into my veins!

21 minutes ago, Jovan said:

Confirmed 27th January. 

Although I'm pleased we finally have a date, but during the day 2 of boxing day test isn't ideal. 

Now this is on the basic assumption we will be allowed out of our 5km prison. 

Haha. 27th December. And I was informed by a club official that the start would be January.

35 minutes ago, haz said:

Loved him the last season with us, was someone who could actually take on a player.

Noone - Jmac - Nabbout upfront with Garrucio and Atkinson bombing up the wing in support

Inject it into my veins!

Do we need Garuccio though we have Jamo, Atkinson and Galloway. Unless we’re moving one forward to the wings 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jovan said:

Confirmed 27th January. 

Although I'm pleased we finally have a date, but during the day 2 of boxing day test isn't ideal. 

Now this is on the basic assumption we will be allowed out of our 5km prison. 

I've heard 25% capacity will be allowed assuming we allowed out of the prison 

• jw1739 pinned this topic