Melbourne Football

Transfer Talk, Rumours and Speculation

jw1739

6 minutes ago, CityBoyz said:

Don’t know how it could be monetary In terms of cap as he’s a homegrown player so wages outside the cap. Bizarre situation which we seem to always find ourselves in. Sydney used the concessions of loyalty and homegrown players we never do it seems. 

so we’ve lost in the last few years who come from our academy, Genreau, Cavallo, Pierias, Delianov, and now Atkinson and that’s just in last year 

Im not familiar with the homegrown player conditions. So essentially Atkinson is exempt from any pay restrictions? 

People don't seem to understand that Melbourne City operates on a strict budget. The salary cap rules and exemptions may allow a player such as Atkinson to be paid outside the cap, but that doesn't mean that the club is prepared to pay him outside the budget.

Edited by jw1739
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

People don't seem to understand that Melbourne City operates on a strict budget. The salary cap rules and exemptions may allow a player such as Atkinson to be paid outside the cap, but that doesn't mean that the club is prepared to pay him outside the budget.

If the club is all about business and turnover then don’t have somebody making good business decisions letting Atkinson go for free, Genreau, Pierias etc and not sign them as loyalty players which could then end to them being sold overseas and recouping money to go back into the academy, our last player to get a transfer fee is Arzani rest have left for free. 

FWIW, Atkinson leaving is bad for us.

What I'm struggling to equate is why and when this was done.

It doesn't change squat and he is now gone, and as all players that are no longer with us "he is now dead to me".

But when is very important. 

If the deal was done months ago and the club informed then it's a massive credit to the club and Mombarets firstly playing him and secondly for Atkinson putting in knowing he was gone.

If the deal was done recently last few weeks and the club was informed after the grand final, then credit to Atkinson because his last 2 games werw exceptional. 

The big question must be why, and I can only think of dollars. 

16 minutes ago, n i k o said:

Maybe an agreement had already been put in place. Equally as frustrating none the less, should this be the case.

Quite possibly. Unless we are behind the scenes its difficult to know other than it seems the deal was definitely done prior to May.
One thing i would say is that I personally viewed Galloway in front of Atkinson considerably until Xmas. Atkinson got back in to the side for whatever reason, presumably injury or suspension and performed really well at thus held his spot deservingly. The timing may have killed us more than anything.

Edit Jamo was out for the Sydney game in December and Atkinson got called in for that with Galloway sent to LB. Atkinson retained his place in the side the next week when Jamo returned and Galloway was benched.

Edited by bt50

The rumours of Atkinson going have been floating around for a long while now - I wouldn't have been surprised if it's been done for a while, but to lose him and Pierias in consecutive years is quite annoying. 

It'll be interesting to see how all the players that were coached by Palatsides and looked like they were going to do well will end up leaving. As far as I can see it we've lost Delianov, Carvallo, Pierias, Duzel, Lesiotios, Genreau and Lambridis all of whom are either in or around the first team of A-League clubs for next year. But I'd suggest this is just a thing that might happen when we have a good crop of players coming through, we're probably going to have a number of them poached due to the setup of the A-League.

In a very minor bugbear a lot of these players are Melbourne natives, too.

We've had, and probably will continue to have, a great crop of youngsters. We can't put them all into the first team immediately. But then the structure of Aussie football really doesn't help. There's not enough good quality reserve and youth football for them, and they can't be loaned out to other A League clubs for a year to get experience. And then finally to rub salt into the wound, we can't get a transfer fee to recoup the investment. So we end up developing youth to benefit our competitors, often more than ourselves. It's mad. 

12 minutes ago, fensaddler said:

We've had, and probably will continue to have, a great crop of youngsters. We can't put them all into the first team immediately. But then the structure of Aussie football really doesn't help. There's not enough good quality reserve and youth football for them, and they can't be loaned out to other A League clubs for a year to get experience. And then finally to rub salt into the wound, we can't get a transfer fee to recoup the investment. So we end up developing youth to benefit our competitors, often more than ourselves. It's mad. 

Can't we loan now? I thought that we could.

34 minutes ago, KSK_47 said:

😕

Screenshot_20200902-140120_Instagram.jpg

This year just keeps getting worse be worse.

Fwiw while losing Atkinson sucks, losing genreau will be our biggest regret. I rated him a lot higher then I do Metcalfe, and thought he was clearly our best youth product.

We'll replace Atkinson but we need to focus on getting a good winger or two whether that's by using a visa spot or whatever. It's clear the wingers we have currently are simply not doing the job.

Alot of rumours going around about Fornaroli and Victory.. From what I've read he never wanted to leave Melbourne but Joyce forced him out as such..

Although he didn't show the form this season that he had with us it would still be gut wrenching to see him playing for Victory. You have to ask if the club approached him at all about a possible return?

6 minutes ago, kingofhearts said:

This year just keeps getting worse be worse.

Fwiw while losing Atkinson sucks, losing genreau will be our biggest regret. I rated him a lot higher then I do Metcalfe, and thought he was clearly our best youth product.

We'll replace Atkinson but we need to focus on getting a good winger or two whether that's by using a visa spot or whatever. It's clear the wingers we have currently are simply not doing the job.

Couldn't agree more with this. I rated Genreau very highly aswell and think he will do well playing for his new club. 

Let's be honest apart from the likes of Novillo what other winger/wingers have we had that were consistent week in week out providing good crosses, assists and able to score also??

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, heart1011 said:

Alot of rumours going around about Fornaroli and Victory.. From what I've read he never wanted to leave Melbourne but Joyce forced him out as such..

Although he didn't show the form this season that he had with us it would still be gut wrenching to see him playing for Victory. You have to ask if the club approached him at all about a possible return?

Bruno made his own bed, Joyce just didnt handle it very well.

Whilst we have JMac and a clear number 1 striker, i wouldnt touch Bruno with a 10 foot pole. Even for 60k as back up i wouldnt have him, i think he'd cause far too much division within both the playing group and the supporter ranks.

1 minute ago, heart1011 said:

Let's be honest apart from the likes of Novillo what other winger/wingers have we had that were consistent week in week out providing good crosses, assists and able to score also??

League wide issue from inception imo ; good wingers are rare af in this league

Just now, bt50 said:

Bruno made his own bed, Joyce just didnt handle it very well.

Whilst we have JMac and a clear number 1 striker, i wouldnt touch Bruno with a 10 foot pole. Even for 60k as back up i wouldnt have him, i think he'd cause far too much division within both the playing group and the supporter ranks.

Yeah true. He is also past his prime now. This season showed that..

23 minutes ago, heart1011 said:

The thing with Bruno though, unless there are very good players around him to take pressure away and feed him the ball then he struggles. Just look at his performance with Perth compared to when he had Mooy and Novillo taking pressure off him and setting him up... 

• Like 1

Just now, MHFC-FAN said:

The thing with Bruno though, unless there are very good players around him to take pressure away and feed him the ball then he struggles. Just look at his performance with Perth compared to when he had Mooy and Novillo taking pressure off him and setting him up... 

Yeah very true.. Well with Wales delivering him the ball he'd never touch it.. Unless he was back in Row Z.....

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I love Bruno as much as anyone who has ever played at the club, but it's over unfortunately. We have moved past him, I would absolutely hate for him to be wearing a victory shirt. But if that's what he has to do to keep his career going, then so be it. 

Bruno for city is a distant memory, we arnt getting him back. It ended all way too messy 

And even if we did have to come back, unless he now plays as a RW, a RB, a CAM or willing to be a back up CB them we have no actual use for him

• Like 2

1 hour ago, heart1011 said:

Couldn't agree more with this. I rated Genreau very highly aswell and think he will do well playing for his new club. 

Speaking of quality attacking wingers Novillo doesn't have a club right now. Only 28, last got game time for Montreal, and clearly enjoyed playing for us. Frankly, what's stopping us?!

Just now, Dylan said:

His behaviour behind the scenes

Hmm thats pretty vague. There was that one incident police were called to his place, which tbf is a serious matter, but to be even fairer nothing ever came of it. A mature club should be able to handle diverse personalities. 

If he agrees to do the work and keep his nose out of any serious trouble, I'd have him as a marquee signing. 

2 hours ago, Dezy94 said:

Speaking of quality attacking wingers Novillo doesn't have a club right now. Only 28, last got game time for Montreal, and clearly enjoyed playing for us. Frankly, what's stopping us?!

Would love to see him back! 

2 hours ago, CityBoyz said:

His attitude that’s the issue with him 

What in particular about his attitude though?

I mean look at McCormack when we had him.. Apparently had an attitude problem at previous clubs prior to coming to City but then with us was a ripper player. Whenever he got a set piece he would usually do something pretty special with it! Novillo was the same.. Whenever he got the ball he was able to create something most of the time which is what we lack now and have for a while..

Edited by heart1011

Straight of the FTBL website in regards to Fornaroli..

Glory chief executive Tony Pignata was surprised to read reports that striker Bruno Fornaroli was also considering his options.

"I'm surprised that Melbourne Victory are talking to a contracted player without advising us," Pignata said.

"It's all speculation at the moment because he's still under contract with us for another season."

5 minutes ago, icantthinkofacoolname said:

Wasn't Najjar meant to join Genreau to Macarthur or has that fallen through? Haven't heard anything for a while

https://theworldgame.sbs.com.au/macarthur-snap-up-melbourne-city-duo

Apparently it was for a 1 year loan? Not sure if it's still happening or not??

1 hour ago, heart1011 said:

Straight of the FTBL website in regards to Fornaroli..

Glory chief executive Tony Pignata was surprised to read reports that striker Bruno Fornaroli was also considering his options.

"I'm surprised that Melbourne Victory are talking to a contracted player without advising us," Pignata said.

"It's all speculation at the moment because he's still under contract with us for another season."

Yeah, but that being said, Tony also said Popovic wasn't going anywhere like two weeks ago, so I'd take this quote with a grain of salt.

RE Bruno: I love him, I love him after he left and wanted nothing but good things for him. I don't understand why our supporters turned on him so quickly.  BUT, if he goes to Victory I'll be buying a bag of plastic snakes and bringing them with me to the next Derby.

Bruno if you're reading this (and I assume that you are), there are many clubs all over the world that could do with your services - there are many clubs in the A league that could do with your services, please don't go to Wifebeater FC

1 hour ago, IssySG said:

Yeah, but that being said, Tony also said Popovic wasn't going anywhere like two weeks ago, so I'd take this quote with a grain of salt.

RE Bruno: I love him, I love him after he left and wanted nothing but good things for him. I don't understand why our supporters turned on him so quickly.  BUT, if he goes to Victory I'll be buying a bag of plastic snakes and bringing them with me to the next Derby.

Bruno if you're reading this (and I assume that you are), there are many clubs all over the world that could do with your services - there are many clubs in the A league that could do with your services, please don't go to Wifebeater FC

Hmm yeah that's a fair point.. Really hope he doesn't end up there!!

If this Cap neg goes through, cutting it to 2.1mil instead of 3mil+ Highly likely we will see us probably not use a Visa spot and have players like Griff leave. I dont think the league is in danger of folding but I reckon we might see a sort of reset, with the league stripped back to the bare bones and a start over approach, which I think will be a good thing in the long run.

18 hours ago, MHFC-FAN said:

bang on.  he scored 13 from 28 this season in a Perth team that was good one moment, shambles the next.  The guy has talent and was (and still largely is IMO) a genuine match winner who can create something from nothing.

dare I say it about JMac, even he struggles without proper service.  yes the guy scored close to a goal a game, but there were plenty of games where he didn't look close to scoring.  The thing was that JMac has a few teams that are either his / our bunnies or that our style of play allows him to get several good chances (for which we had a very solid side around him this season).

same can be said for guys like Le Fondre and Berisha - an average season for them would see them score 15-16 goals.

only difference for me is that Le Fondre and Berisha (and to an extent JMac) are more typical goal poachers / foxes in the box, while Bruno is capable of scoring the sublime while missing one from 10 yards out.

Edited by mattyh001
  • Thanks 1

• jw1739 pinned this topic