Melbourne Football

Transfer Talk, Rumours and Speculation

jw1739

9 minutes ago, mus-28 said:

Guessing his contract was signed well in advance of us making the GF and all the fallout at Perth.

There has been rumours around him for a while but even long before he was always going to exempt from the cap for next season. Perhaps we didn’t offer him a new contract early enough?

It's shitty news, especially after seeing his passion the other night. But the timing says he had this done a while ago now. So not sure how it could be seen as the club's fault.

So kudos to him for seeing it through to the end and up to us to find a better replacement.

Just now, rayv36 said:

I assume he signed much earlier in the season when we was sitting on the bench behind Delbo & Jamison.

Very disappointing to add to the grand final pain. 

this definitely. I see him as maybe a bit impatient. wonder how it will go now that popa is not even going to be coach. 

A baffling and disappointing move. Quick player who moved the ball well and was a pivotal link in the posession chain. Unfortunately in these COVID times I can't see a better player signed to replace him, expect Galloway to upgrade to starting player in that spot. 

1 hour ago, CityBoyz said:

“We will be back”

1AF2D29A-014B-4AF4-A07D-641CF3093E89.jpeg

Yeah even more strange. What the hell is he doing saying something like that when he obviously has known for a while he's moving clubs?

12 minutes ago, rayv36 said:

I assume he signed much earlier in the season when we was sitting on the bench behind Delbo & Jamison.

Very disappointing to add to the grand final pain. 

Must have been earlier in the season. I don't think there would have been time between the end of the GF and today to be photographed in a Perth jersey. Especially with all the quarantine arrangements and closed borders.

39 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

Must have been earlier in the season. I don't think there would have been time between the end of the GF and today to be photographed in a Perth jersey. Especially with all the quarantine arrangements and closed borders.

He’s in NSW so say the photo is photoshopped 

496CE1B1-4DD2-4149-ABB5-CE48B3579F1F.jpeg

7A69C3B1-EB56-47D3-8DEE-E14153414DD2.jpeg

Edited by CityBoyz

1 hour ago, Mr MO said:

You know that Atkinson was really on the only player in our starting line up who had the ability to take on a player!

He kind of reminded me a bit like Jacob Melling when we had him. A hard nut who wasn't afraid to take on a player and would always give it his all. Shattered he is gone and it will just be our luck we keep bloody Wales.. 

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Imtellingyou said:

Atkinson was on the bench when there was no injuries or cards. He was not managed well to stay. This is unfortunately nothing new. 

Okay let’s say he signed with Perth earlier in the season.....did he do that because we didn’t value him and didn’t offer him a contract early enough?

Edited by Mr MO

2 minutes ago, CityBoyz said:

He’s changed his post from “We will be back” to the “Fellas will be back”

C507A1AF-46BC-4FEC-AAB0-85773C45DDFF.jpeg

I may be reading far too much between the lines, but I suspect he's regretting the move. WA is a long way, Perth are shite, Popa's gone, and he's finally established himself with us. And he knows we're more likely to kick on next season than Perth. 

4 minutes ago, fensaddler said:

I may be reading far too much between the lines, but I suspect he's regretting the move. WA is a long way, Perth are shite, Popa's gone, and he's finally established himself with us. And he knows we're more likely to kick on next season than Perth. 

Wouldn’t surprise me, Perth aren’t going to get much investment with Sage and now coachless. Can see Perth spiraling  down the table. Bruno doesn’t look the same player either 

2 hours ago, rass said:

It's shitty news, especially after seeing his passion the other night. But the timing says he had this done a while ago now. So not sure how it could be seen as the club's fault.

So kudos to him for seeing it through to the end and up to us to find a better replacement.

What makes you think the club isn’t at fault. 

We didn’t offer him a new deal earlier in the year? Didn’t believe in him at that time to a level that he wasn’t worthy free cap space.

Or 

He refused our deal and wanted out due lack of game time at that point?

Edited by Mr MO

It's another case of a player who until Jamo didn't return to the hub wasn't getting enough game time so honestly when you look at it he probably had his mind made up a while ago and was keeping a lid on it until after the GF. If that is the case at his age you can't blame him at all. But it is another case and point of the same old City mentality.. We consistently start guys who aren't quite up to it and keep the younger guys on the bench who actually give it a 110% when they play which is what Atkinson did the last few games and now he will go on and be a starter at Perth and will flourish and everyone will wish we kept him.

Case and point look at Caceras when he came back.. Was always on the bench with us and have a look at what he did playing for Sydney.. Zullo is another one who springs to mind. I can see Genreau killing it at Macarthur too..

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

To make us feel better, Jamieson will be back in that LB role now....

5 hours ago, CityBoyz said:

Have people forgotten we’re rumoured to be getting O’Neill 

https://theworldgame.sbs.com.au/melbourne-city-poised-to-pounce-on-o-neill-after-brisbane-exit

We already have Brillante and I don't think O'Neil would be on cheap wages. Better to spend that money on wingers or a CAM

10 hours ago, Mr MO said:

What makes you think the club isn’t at fault. 

We didn’t offer him a new deal earlier in the year? Didn’t believe in him at that time to a level that he wasn’t worthy free cap space.

Or 

He refused our deal and wanted out due lack of game time at that point?

What makes you think they are? 

I think his performances of late have left alot of us here thinking he is Alphonso Davies. But the fact is he was struggling to get a start when his mind was made up a while ago. 

Is that the club's fault or his? Probably a bit of both tbf. FWIW i would have kept him as i think he has plenty of years in this league left to make himself into a great player. But i can see why at the time he would've made the decision to go - probably a combination of $, game time and perceived culture/personnel at Perth.

Given what's happened since though, with Popovic going and the player unrest (Castro), i wonder if he is already regretting his decision to a degree.

1 hour ago, rass said:

What makes you think they are? 

I think his performances of late have left alot of us here thinking he is Alphonso Davies. But the fact is he was struggling to get a start when his mind was made up a while ago. 

Is that the club's fault or his? Probably a bit of both tbf. FWIW i would have kept him as i think he has plenty of years in this league left to make himself into a great player. But i can see why at the time he would've made the decision to go - probably a combination of $, game time and perceived culture/personnel at Perth.

Given what's happened since though, with Popovic going and the player unrest (Castro), i wonder if he is already regretting his decision to a degree.

It’s a bit of both, hence I put two scenarios in my response to you.

I do think we have to question the clubs ability to recognise talent with longer term vision and the benefits who come with it, in terms transfer fees and cap space bonuses. We seem to be at the raw end for too many years now, coincidence, bad luck? A club like us with our vision, a talent development academy and with our current turnover we have not benefited at all from it in order to make our team stronger.

Sure he wasn’t playing enough earlier, but we didn’t have faith in him and couldn’t see through these patches that the raw talent was there?

Edited by Mr MO

At what point did Atkinson make the decision to leave? Was it when he wasnt getting as much game time? Was it during the finals? 

On the outside it looks like a likely reason to leave is Atkinson saw himself behind Delbridge and Jamo. Perhaps he was promised a permanent starting position at Perth. Maybe it was about money.

Whatever it was the biggest hurt from this beside him being such a great promise is he came to us in 2016. In 4 years we have nurtured his development, he has grown into being one of the better fullbacks and should really be starting. His next move should have been an overseas move. And yet he makes a move to a rival club. This is what grates on my nerves most. We still cant build enough loyalty with our players that they don't/can't go anywhere else. 

2 minutes ago, n i k o said:

At what point did Atkinson make the decision to leave? Was it when he wasnt getting as much game time? Was it during the finals? 

On the outside it looks like a likely reason to leave is Atkinson saw himself behind Delbridge and Jamo. Perhaps he was promised a permanent starting position at Perth. Maybe it was about money.

Whatever it was the biggest hurt from this beside him being such a great promise is he came to us in 2016. In 4 years we have nurtured his development, he has grown into being one of the better fullbacks and should really be starting. His next move should have been an overseas move. And yet he makes a move to a rival club. This is what grates on my nerves most. We still cant build enough loyalty with our players that they don't/can't go anywhere else. 

As a football lover I can’t blame him, looking at the performance of Delbridge and Jamo going forward and in general play, he’s just better at that.

It's so much easier to stomach the constant overturn of players within this club when they're venturing overseas to pursue a greater challenge in a better/different league but when so many of our players (young ones especially) just end up at rival clubs, it really leaves a sour taste in the mouth and begs the question why we can't hold onto them. 

Every circumstance is unique but the Atkinson one really stings given the strength of his recent performances and the fact he's a homegrown player who's still young. It makes it so hard for our poor supporters to build any semblance of affinity with the playing group as it shifts far too often and far too easily. 

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, n i k o said:

.......Whatever it was the biggest hurt from this beside him being such a great promise is he came to us in 2016. In 4 years we have nurtured his development, he has grown into being one of the better fullbacks and should really be starting. His next move should have been an overseas move. And yet he makes a move to a rival club. This is what grates on my nerves most. We still cant build enough loyalty with our players that they don't/can't go anywhere else. 

8 minutes ago, Nate said:

It's so much easier to stomach the constant overturn of players within this club when they're venturing overseas to pursue a greater challenge in a better/different league but when so many of our players (young ones especially) just end up at rival clubs, it really leaves a sour taste in the mouth and begs the question why we can't hold onto them. 

Every circumstance is unique but the Atkinson one really stings given the strength of his recent performances and the fact he's a homegrown player who's still young. It makes it so hard for our poor supporters to build any semblance of affinity with the playing group as it shifts far too often and far too easily. 

These two posts sum up my feelings. I feel sad.

50 minutes ago, n i k o said:

Was rumoured in May with Genreau and Wales

2340655E-AC3C-4010-9255-D5468C3E3D86.jpeg

4 minutes ago, CityBoyz said:

Was rumoured in May with Genreau and Wales

2340655E-AC3C-4010-9255-D5468C3E3D86.jpeg

Thanks for that. I just had a look, he has been a regular starter for us for this whole year. It couldnt then be that he hasnt had enough opportunity.

Maybe it's a monetary thing. Perhaps with talk of reduced salaries he was one whose income had to be reduced in order to keep others on board and Perth could offer more.

5 minutes ago, n i k o said:

Thanks for that. I just had a look, he has been a regular starter for us for this whole year. It couldnt then be that he hasnt had enough opportunity.

Maybe it's a monetary thing. Perhaps with talk of reduced salaries he was one whose income had to be reduced in order to keep others on board and Perth could offer more.

Don’t know how it could be monetary In terms of cap as he’s a homegrown player so wages outside the cap. Bizarre situation which we seem to always find ourselves in. Sydney used the concessions of loyalty and homegrown players we never do it seems. 

so we’ve lost in the last few years who come from our academy, Genreau, Cavallo, Pierias, Delianov, and now Atkinson and that’s just in last year 

4 minutes ago, CityBoyz said:

Don’t know how it could be monetary In terms of cap as he’s a homegrown player so wages outside the cap. Bizarre situation which we seem to always find ourselves in. Sydney used the concessions of loyalty and homegrown players we never do it seems. 

so we’ve lost in the last few years who come from our academy, Genreau, Cavallo, Pierias, Delianov, and now Atkinson and that’s just in last year 

I can only think that we just didn’t offer him a contract early enough and / or not enough money.

Free cap space doesn’t make players free and we are bound to strict budget with not much room to move it seems. We only seem to be creative with visa players.

• Like 1

• jw1739 pinned this topic