Melbourne Football

Transfer Talk, Rumours and Speculation

jw1739

7 hours ago, Jovan said:

Actually the current situation is worse.

Fitting 3 visas in the cap inevitably result in visa player 4 or 5 being bang average.

Having 4 or 5 players of higher quality will reduce the journeyman, add younger youth players also exempt from the cap will leave more cash in the cap for quality Socceroo types. 

The salary cap was designed to keep the league equal and give everyone an equal chance, but in reality it has created an environment were mediocre players are protected youth players have limited opportunities and foreign players are basically no improvement on whats available locally. 

There will always be stronger richer clubs regardless of the system. The time has come to remove some of the restrictions and give the league a chance to develop. 

Having a team 5 or so wins ahead after 20 games is not really even, and credit to them they deserve where they are.

Are you talking about Liverpool?

• Thanks 1

14 hours ago, Jovan said:

Sydney 

Playing it with a straight bat.

21 hours ago, Jovan said:

Actually the current situation is worse.

Fitting 3 visas in the cap inevitably result in visa player 4 or 5 being bang average.

Having 4 or 5 players of higher quality will reduce the journeyman, add younger youth players also exempt from the cap will leave more cash in the cap for quality Socceroo types. 

The salary cap was designed to keep the league equal and give everyone an equal chance, but in reality it has created an environment were mediocre players are protected youth players have limited opportunities and foreign players are basically no improvement on whats available locally. 

There will always be stronger richer clubs regardless of the system. The time has come to remove some of the restrictions and give the league a chance to develop. 

Having a team 5 or so wins ahead after 20 games is not really even, and credit to them they deserve where they are.

I tend to agree that having three visa players under the cap can lead to the fourth and fifth player being average but that also comes down to scouting. Also, the underlying assumption is that the home grown talent is not up to scratch. What I haven't seen is a team deliberately aim to bring in three visa players and leave the other two for local talent/youth players. I suspect that having three quality players with a higher salary each either through the spine or up front (I prefer the spine) and the rest with some talented youth then they would fare no worse than the current line ups and more likely would do better.

Right now international scouting is left to the clubs but it may be worth considering having an A-League wide international scouting network that would enable all clubs to use the services and able to hire players in a better fashion.

Did the salary cap lead to having mediocre journeyman in the A-League? Not sure and the idea has merit. Another idea is that coaches are sacked if the team fares poorly and this could be part of the reason. However, too many international players suffer prolonged injuries leaving the side unbalanced and likely inexperienced. Melbourne City is not the only one with a Germano Treatment Centre. I am not sure what the solution is to this dilemma but I suspect that you will find the same problem world wide.

I will also note that The Guardian credits the rise of Liverpool to the Fair Salary policy introduced by UEFA. So the salary cap is not that far removed from what is happening in Europe.

What I find frustrating is that many fans can see potential in a lot of youth players but seldom do the coaches.

My preference would be for clubs to be able to trade players or even lease players throughout the season rather than through the transfer window. The ability for clubs to sell players to other clubs and not necessarily through a straight cash deal. For example we could buy D'Agostino for some cash and throw Wales in as part of the deal. Also the ability for players to train and play in the NPL.

I fear that removing the salary cap will lead the A-League to go the way of the NSL.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, NewConvert said:

Playing it with a straight bat.

I tend to agree that having three visa players under the cap can lead to the fourth and fifth player being average but that also comes down to scouting. Also, the underlying assumption is that the home grown talent is not up to scratch. What I haven't seen is a team deliberately aim to bring in three visa players and leave the other two for local talent/youth players. I suspect that having three quality players with a higher salary each either through the spine or up front (I prefer the spine) and the rest with some talented youth then they would fare no worse than the current line ups and more likely would do better.

Right now international scouting is left to the clubs but it may be worth considering having an A-League wide international scouting network that would enable all clubs to use the services and able to hire players in a better fashion.

Did the salary cap lead to having mediocre journeyman in the A-League? Not sure and the idea has merit. Another idea is that coaches are sacked if the team fares poorly and this could be part of the reason. However, too many international players suffer prolonged injuries leaving the side unbalanced and likely inexperienced. Melbourne City is not the only one with a Germano Treatment Centre. I am not sure what the solution is to this dilemma but I suspect that you will find the same problem world wide.

I will also note that The Guardian credits the rise of Liverpool to the Fair Salary policy introduced by UEFA. So the salary cap is not that far removed from what is happening in Europe.

What I find frustrating is that many fans can see potential in a lot of youth players but seldom do the coaches.

My preference would be for clubs to be able to trade players or even lease players throughout the season rather than through the transfer window. The ability for clubs to sell players to other clubs and not necessarily through a straight cash deal. For example we could buy D'Agostino for some cash and throw Wales in as part of the deal. Also the ability for players to train and play in the NPL.

I fear that removing the salary cap will lead the A-League to go the way of the NSL.

Well tbf to coaches. They see them all week every week when fans might see some once of flashy thing in a game and think they are the next messi

1 hour ago, Dylan said:

Well tbf to coaches. They see them all week every week when fans might see some once of flashy thing in a game and think they are the next messi

Oath. Dont get me wrong, i think he has a future, but Denis Genreau is fast becoming Jeremy Walker 2.0 on this forum and across our fan base.

Edited by bt50
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 27/02/2020 at 5:49 AM, bt50 said:

Oath. Dont get me wrong, i think he has a future, but Denis Genreau is fast becoming Jeremy Walker 2.0 on this forum and across our fan base.

Poster on FTBL has Genreau to Macarthur Bulls next season - can anyone confirm as true?

I would have thought any decisions in the present uncertain situation would be premature. Even though next season is a long time away, we don't even know whether it will take place at all. Today's news coming out of Italy is pretty sobering reading.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Originalmeme said:

a proper 10, that is consistently good.

Yes. At the game tonight my brother and another bloke sitting in front of us said the same thing. The teams needs a consistent quality #10. Berenguer is not it and for what ever reason neither Metcalfe nor Genreau are being given sufficient game time to prove that they should be it.

We also noted that Wales should not be re-signed nor should Jamieson.

• 1 month later...
3 hours ago, IssySG said:

Sad to say it but time to either move Jamo on or relegate him to the bench. Need to retain Atkinson and play him on the right and Galloway on the left

Sad to say? I would be quite happy to say it. Jamo should have been moved on before the start of the season. He isn't good enough to be starting player, is on too much to be a full back and on too much to be on the bench.

• Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

Fucking hard to attract support to this club and then to maintain it with the turnover of players every season.

Where is this club actually going? I'm almost over it TBH.

We only have 8 players off contract which are Berenguer, Susaeta, Delbridge, Atkinson, Genreau, Griffiths, Bouzanis and Wales 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, CityBoyz said:

We only have 8 players off contract which are Berenguer, Susaeta, Delbridge, Atkinson, Genreau, Griffiths, Bouzanis and Wales 

I just don't want to see quality players such as Atkinson and Genreau leave us. Atkinson in particular - IMO far better than Noone going forward.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, jw1739 said:

I just don't want to see quality players such as Atkinson and Genreau leave us. Atkinson in particular - IMO far better than Noone going forward.

Yeah I agree Atkinson is a must re-sign as his salary is outside the cap due to him being a homegrown player. Wales not fussed about. Genreau is gone can see it Erick hasn’t been playing him.

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, CityBoyz said:

Yeah I agree Atkinson is a must re-sign as his salary is outside the cap due to him being a homegrown player. Wales not fussed about. Genreau is gone can see it Erick hasn’t been playing him.

Letting decent home grown players walk out the door when can they can be excluded from the cap makes no sense. You will have to replace them with external players who are probably more expensive and count towards the cap.

These guys aren’t even sold so as a club we don’t benefit from it all.

It’s those little things such as home grown and loyalty players which puts Sydney above the rest.

If Atkinson, Najjar, Wales, Ramy, Genrau all leave it just looks poor “exodus of youth” regardless if they are any good. Najjarine and Atkinson are definitely worth keeping. 

27 minutes ago, Mr MO said:

Letting decent home grown players walk out the door when can they can be excluded from the cap makes no sense. You will have to replace them with external players who are probably more expensive and count towards the cap.

These guys aren’t even sold so as a club we don’t benefit from it all.

It’s those little things such as home grown and loyalty players which puts Sydney above the rest.

If Atkinson, Najjar, Wales, Ramy, Genrau all leave it just looks poor “exodus of youth” regardless if they are any good. Najjarine and Atkinson are definitely worth keeping. 

Wales isn’t a homegrown as he made his debut at ccm and came through their youth system

Spot on with Sydney point they use every loophole in the book and concession that’s why where they are. Signed up their whole squad for next season and heaps would be on loyalty bonuses outside the cap.

Edited by CityBoyz

• jw1739 pinned this topic